Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart Zig Markers - now they work!

Just a huge thank you to all the ladies that take the time to answer questions in this forum. I bought some zig markers because of course I saw a couple of videos and thought - how awesome, how easy, I can do that! Then I got them and tried them on 3 kinds of paper and they didn't blend or react to the water......AT ALL. I was heartbroken. How did these other ladies get this beautiful range of color? Searched on this forum.....BAM found I should buy some cheaper watercolor paper at Wal-Mart. Did that - had so much fun last night just playing with my markers! Always great advice here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also try Bristol. It works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Yes! Going to get some of that at the craft store. Can't wait to try it too!! Was just lucky that I needed to go to WM and they had Canon XL that worked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,940 Likes on 2,204 Posts

I use the canson xl from Walmart all the time and love it! And it is less than $6.00 for 30 sheets. That same sized pad is $10.99 at Michaels!

Last edited by dini; 03-26-2017 at 03:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Also try Bristol. It works great.
I tried Bristol, and I hate it. The colors don't move around well at all. I think it's because I bought the vellum finish, and it's supposed to be the smooth. I refuse to buy anymore watercolor paper, so I'm going to use my inexpensive Strathmore and Canson. They work better, but I'm still not thrilled with the Zigs. I'm glad you ladies got yours to work and are enjoying them, though. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience was that the bristol vellum finish did not work either. I'll give the smooth bristol a try. Using Arches doesn't work well for me. The ink absorbs so fast I can't get a water brush to it to blend even when I have it uncapped and at the ready. Also some of the colors are so loud and neon-like. I thought I would like these Zigs a whole lot more than I do but I'll keep working at it since I have a whole big set of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2017, 02:32 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

It took me awhile to understand water color paper. I like my Zigs fine, but the day I got them I discovered that Crayola Super Tips is water color and are cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
It took me awhile to understand water color paper. I like my Zigs fine, but the day I got them I discovered that Crayola Super Tips is water color and are cheap.
After reading your post, I've had the Crayola Super Tips on my must-have list. I already have the Zigs, so I don't "need" them.:shock: Anyway, I found a pack of 50 Crayola Super Tips at Target for under $7. Brought them home and scribbled on some Bristol cardstock, hit it with an aqua brush and magic happened! They move and flow and give a lovely watercolor effect. :cool: SO fun! I can toss these in the car or rv for projects on the go without a thought about damaging or losing them. Thank you SO much for sharing this idea, I never would have known these even existed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, sometimes there are inexpensive substitutes that work pretty well - the Crayola Super Tips are an example.

It's probably worth posting here again about the colored pencils you can find at Walmart that are a worthy substitute for the expensive Prismacolors. You get 72 colors, already sharpened, for only $5.97. Here you go:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cra-Z-Art...-72ct/17094363

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Yes, sometimes there are inexpensive substitutes that work pretty well - the Crayola Super Tips are an example.

It's probably worth posting here again about the colored pencils you can find at Walmart that are a worthy substitute for the expensive Prismacolors. You get 72 colors, already sharpened, for only $5.97. Here you go:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cra-Z-Art...-72ct/17094363
Are you kidding me?! How did I never hear about these when Prisma was the rage? I only bought a few Prismas because of the cost and thinking I wouldn't use them enough to justify the cost....I did buy the expensive gamsol to try with pencils I had.....so do these Cra-z-Art pencils work with the gamsol like Prismas? Do tell more. This thread has been hyjacked twice and no one has noticed. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Are you kidding me?! How did I never hear about these when Prisma was the rage? I only bought a few Prismas because of the cost and thinking I wouldn't use them enough to justify the cost....I did buy the expensive gamsol to try with pencils I had.....so do these Cra-z-Art pencils work with the gamsol like Prismas? Do tell more. This thread has been hyjacked twice and no one has noticed. ;)
I guess this is all such informative information we didn't notice the highjacking! All of it has been very helpful to me. But to bring it back to the Zigs, I was so desperate to get these to work for me I recently sent a suggestion to Online Card Classes for them to do a class on them; I was so sure I had to be screwing them up somehow.

The first time I used them was on Arches. What a waste of expensive paper. Last weekend I used them on CansonXL, layering the colors like you would alcohol markers, trying to make folds in a blue dress. The darkest blue unexpectedly separated into a purple and the edges were hard. I tried to blend in the mid-tone blue, hoping that would soften the purple, nope just add more hard lines. Figuring it was an epic fail yet again, I thought, what the heck, and dropped a great big puddle of water on the dress then swiped a brush back and forth until all the water was absorbed, trying to get the colors to blend. Well, it turned out to be the best job I've ever done on getting highlights and lowlights blended - on any image with any medium. I don't even want to use the image on anything now, I just want to look at it, lol. That will be my go to rescue move from now on - just add more water!

(I'm off to go find those Crayolas and Cra-Z-Art pencils now)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Susy, there was a lot of talk about different pencils a while back, but I don't remember which threads. That's where I found out about the Cra Z Arts. I have them and have used them and like them. I don't go to the trouble of blending with gamsol, but as I remember, the people who did that said they worked well.

My style of coloring is pretty simple, not much blending, and I use markers much more than pencils. I still color like I did in my coloring books as a kid, a lighter shade, and then sort of outline around the edges in a darker color.

As with all products talked about on this forum, people will have their favorites, and their own reasons why. I notice a lot of "brand name loyalty" and that's well and good. But I really have to watch my pennies, and I'm always looking for a reasonable compromise.

The folks who receive my cards are not cardmakers, and not artists. They are usually impressed that I managed to stay in the lines! Ha!:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Well this is probably a hijack but I'm thinking of trying the Nuvo Aqua Flow pens by Tonic when they are available. I have watched demos of them and they seem to have softer colors and so far no blending complaints. I'll still keep working to improve my techniques with Zigs but will also stay tuned to experience with the Aqua Flows.

As Jennifer McGuire said, "just remember it's handmade not Hallmark." Staying within the lines is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Susy, there was a lot of talk about different pencils a while back, but I don't remember which threads. That's where I found out about the Cra Z Arts. I have them and have used them and like them. I don't go to the trouble of blending with gamsol, but as I remember, the people who did that said they worked well.

My style of coloring is pretty simple, not much blending, and I use markers much more than pencils. I still color like I did in my coloring books as a kid, a lighter shade, and then sort of outline around the edges in a darker color.

As with all products talked about on this forum, people will have their favorites, and their own reasons why. I notice a lot of "brand name loyalty" and that's well and good. But I really have to watch my pennies, and I'm always looking for a reasonable compromise.

The folks who receive my cards are not cardmakers, and not artists. They are usually impressed that I managed to stay in the lines! Ha!:mrgreen:
Tee, hee....I don't use the gamsol, either! I just got it because the "cool kids" said it was the bomb and I was never able to get it to work!!! I think we are simpatico on coloring style. I am not a blender, I do my best to add shading and it's an "iffy" outcome at best. I am more than willing to try off brands if somebody says they are worth checking out. I agree that many people are married to brand names and unwilling to give lesser know companies a shot at their business.

I will definitely get some of these colored pencils. They are officially on my Walmart list for my next trip, which may be sooner rather than later. ;) :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Tee, hee....I don't use the gamsol, either! I just got it because the "cool kids" said it was the bomb and I was never able to get it to work!!! I think we are simpatico on coloring style. I am not a blender, I do my best to add shading and it's an "iffy" outcome at best. I am more than willing to try off brands if somebody says they are worth checking out. I agree that many people are married to brand names and unwilling to give lesser know companies a shot at their business.

I will definitely get some of these colored pencils. They are officially on my Walmart list for my next trip, which may be sooner rather than later. ;) :cool:
I don't know which dept. they are in because I order online for store pick up, even if they have it on the store shelves. Then I can just zip into the back to the desk and pick up my order. Sometimes I manage not to get distracted, and don't buy anything else.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Well this is probably a hijack but I'm thinking of trying the Nuvo Aqua Flow pens by Tonic when they are available. I have watched demos of them and they seem to have softer colors and so far no blending complaints. I'll still keep working to improve my techniques with Zigs but will also stay tuned to experience with the Aqua Flows.

As Jennifer McGuire said, "just remember it's handmade not Hallmark." Staying within the lines is good enough for me.
Yikes! Nuvo is coming out with Aqua pens? I had no clue, I thought they had alcohol markers (like Copics). I will definitely search out the videos. I have enjoyed all of the Nuvo products I have tried, so they are on my like-list!
Thanks for sharing this info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Here's the link where I saw the Aqua flow. That's all I know.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I don't know which dept. they are in because I order online for store pick up, even if they have it on the store shelves. Then I can just zip into the back to the desk and pick up my order. Sometimes I manage not to get distracted, and don't buy anything else.
They're in the school supplies section.

If you can't find the 72, I think they have a 36.

If you don't want to spend on Gamsol, I blend with regular baby oil (not the gel; the regular liquid kind with the pink top).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

After reading your post, I've had the Crayola Super Tips on my must-have list. I already have the Zigs, so I don't "need" them.:shock: Anyway, I found a pack of 50 Crayola Super Tips at Target for under $7. Brought them home and scribbled on some Bristol cardstock, hit it with an aqua brush and magic happened! They move and flow and give a lovely watercolor effect. :cool: SO fun! I can toss these in the car or rv for projects on the go without a thought about damaging or losing them. Thank you SO much for sharing this idea, I never would have known these even existed!
Yeah! I have the set of 100 crayola super tips...can't wait to try them out

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Yikes! Nuvo is coming out with Aqua pens? I had no clue, I thought they had alcohol markers (like Copics). I will definitely search out the videos. I have enjoyed all of the Nuvo products I have tried, so they are on my like-list!
Thanks for sharing this info!
Just wanted to mention Scrapbook.com has the Aqua Flows on sale for $11.20 a 3-pen set right now. (Normally $14.00)

They also have a Spring/Summer Combo Set of 6 pens for $19.99 (normally $28.00)

Last edited by fifiwesfan; 05-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: missed the combo set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
Just wanted to mention Scrapbook.com has the Aqua Flows on sale for $11.20 a 3-pen set right now. (Normally $14.00)

They also have a Spring/Summer Combo Set of 6 pens for $19.99 (normally $28.00)
I just did some damage to my pocketbook on scrapbook.com. ;). I ordered some of their script brush tip's - they looked comparable to Zigs. I ordered the set that has spring pastels - pink, yellow & blue. I think the sale price was $6.40 for the 3 pack. (This is off topic, but I also ordered the corners for the Misti. They were on special today for $12.79! And the BladePen with the retractable blade that Jen McQuire just recommended was available by the single unit rather than set of 3. I was able to pick up the skinny retractable blade pen for $4. Much better than having to buy the set of 3 just to try them. 😎)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 05:10 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
They're in the school supplies section.

If you can't find the 72, I think they have a 36.

If you don't want to spend on Gamsol, I blend with regular baby oil (not the gel; the regular liquid kind with the pink top).
Hey - that's what I was gonna say... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes