Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #41  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with you on all points, Rachel!! If I had to guess, I'd be prone to think that it was a financial move, to get people to replace plates more often. After all, the old plates could potentially last for several years. They wouldn't make many sales on new plates if they kept that up!

But, I've got to say this has really worked out for the best, for me personally. I've been cutting like a fiend the last day or two, cut a couple hundred tags for a project, then just kept on going, cutting out piles of frames, labels, other 'generic' shapes I could use in future projects - just because I was so tickled that everything was going so well.

No fussing over specific placement, no constant flipping, I think I might have flipped my pad over maybe 6 or 7 times total all day, when I thought to do it - otherwise, just plop my dies down wherever they landed & go. Using my accuquilt pad instead of the Sizzix plate, the sandwich actually rolls through the machine much easier & smoother than it did with the hard plates - as if it isn't nearly as "snug" a fit as it usually is with the plastic. The mats are softer & somewhat flexible, so I guess it isn't as 'snug' as it would be with the rigid hard plastic, as the softer mat itself probably compresses as it goes between the rollers. But strangely enough, my machine is cutting better than it *ever* did, and my fussiest dies are perfect after one pass! Go figure! It doesn't really seem to make sense, but it certainly works & I'm happy with it! No more sizzix plates for me! Even my trusty old plates that still worked fine (without any fussing) have been set to the side as backups - and the warpy new purple ones are history now :p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
If it is the same Sizzix video he also stresses not to put your dies in the middle of your plates if this is possible.Some dies are large and you have no option, He emphasizes that small dies placed on the edges and which way to place them. Since watching the video I have found makes a big difference and my stamping friends that have since done this are also telling me
How well this works. I viewed another by someone who demos at a lot of shows .
She showed her plates after two years of doing so and they were still straight.

I am glad I spotted these as it has saved my plates which I have turning faithfully but now use the edges to give even wear to my plates.
I have to say since I stared following these recommendations it's made a lot of difference. Because I don't do assembly card making very often (where I'm cutting out piece after piece) I don't find it too difficult to rotate my plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Default Same Lifestyle Crafts Base and Mats Over Three Years

I've used the same Lifestyles plates and base since it was released several years ago, I've saved lots of money! I didn't buy it for the magnetic part, and secure my dies the old fashioned way. If you're tired of warped plates I'd suggest picking up a set. I've ordered an thicker mat, I'm thinking it's the B but not sure. I just wanted to have it on hand, but haven't needed to open it. I use the plate and mats, embossing and cutting, in my Big Shot Pro and my regular Big Shot. I mainly use my Pro. I swear by these plates, the fact they are not clear doesn't bother me. Once you buy the set you don't ever have to buy another base, mine is like brand new, and I'm still using my original mats after three years or more!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anne, are the plates the same as what WRMK calls "mats"? If so, there seem to be several of them. Which ones are you using exactly? Do you have two of them, and use them instead of the Sizzix cutting plates?

I took a look at them and got confused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Just wanted to thank Ravyn for the recommendation of the Accuquilt cutting mat! I bought the 6" x 12" one at Joann's for $7.99 yesterday. I haven't used it yet, but I'm very excited about this! It just makes sense to me that something with a bit of flexibility and "give" would work better than something rigid. I'll play around with sandwiches (starting with Ravyn's recommendations), but I have every confidence that this will be a VERY happy thing! FYI - you can't use a coupon, as it falls into the "exception" category of Cricut products...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Anne, are the plates the same as what WRMK calls "mats"? If so, there seem to be several of them. Which ones are you using exactly? Do you have two of them, and use them instead of the Sizzix cutting plates?

I took a look at them and got confused.
Rachel, this is the set I have, We R is the company not Life Styles, love them! I found a similar set by We R see below. I can only speak for the set I've used and still using for over 3 years!
My Set

I think We R are making the same set for their new machine, not sure but they look the same.
http://www.amazon.com/We-Memory-Keep...XVZEQSJ7HDDTZG

Last edited by Annecards; 04-17-2016 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I will try to find the video which I think I saved. But here is a simple explanation.

If you have a small butterfly die lets say 2 inches across, you might ordinarily lay it horizontally with the wins pointing east and west.

Instead line up your butterfly vertically with the wings north and south at the edge of your paper. We know that the pressure on all machines are strongest at the edges.

Does this help you ?
It does, thank you! I've been paying more attention to the edges of my new cutting plates and where I set smaller dies, and I do notice that they bend/curve less going through the rollers.

In one of those Sizzix videos, they suggest rotating/flipping the plates every 20 or so cuts � I used to flip my original plates (2 years old) every single cut and they still ended up warping terribly! I got this new pair for under $7 with a coupon and it's so much easier to cut with them that I've decided it's just going to be the cost of doing my crafting business :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #48  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Just wanted to thank Ravyn for the recommendation of the Accuquilt cutting mat! I bought the 6" x 12" one at Joann's for $7.99 yesterday. I haven't used it yet, but I'm very excited about this! It just makes sense to me that something with a bit of flexibility and "give" would work better than something rigid. I'll play around with sandwiches (starting with Ravyn's recommendations), but I have every confidence that this will be a VERY happy thing! FYI - you can't use a coupon, as it falls into the "exception" category of Cricut products...
Let me know how it works out for you! I know each machine has very slight variances in pressure, etc & different machines might need tiny little 'tweaks' in the sandwich & such to get that "ultra-perfect" setting -- but all I know is that the Accuquilt mat is working *exceptionally* well for me!! I'm happier with my machine than I've ever been! Crossing my fingers that it works as well for you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Glad to help. I guess it is like a mattress......where does it usually sag, In the middle right? Because that is where we wind up sleeping at night night, not closer to the edge.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #50  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I've used the same Lifestyles plates and base since it was released several years ago, I've saved lots of money! I didn't buy it for the magnetic part, and secure my dies the old fashioned way. If you're tired of warped plates I'd suggest picking up a set.
These do look good! I'd been debating off & on about getting a magnetic platform anyway - and if the cutting mats are long-lasting on this set, that would be the deciding factor for me!

So - please pardon me for my stupidity - but so, with this set, you do not need to use the sizzix cutting plates any longer - the mat(s) with this platform replaces the sizzix plate (or the top plate, at least)? And the magnetic platform "replaces" the multi-purpose platform? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly... I love what I'm using at the moment - but the magnetic platform is appealing & besides, it's really nice to have several options available... Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Raven, Hopefully this isn't too repetitive, but the B plate made by We R would be a better choice over the AccuCut mat, IMHO. Here's a comment on Amazon. I will add there's no figuring out sandwiches just use the platform and mats by We R. I haven't tried just the B mat with the Sizzix platform, but according to this comment the B works with the Sizzix magnetic platform. I don't want to use any acrylic plates, and bet you have to use one on the bottom if you only purchase the B mat.
Removed the link, because the comment didn't come up. Just check the reviews for the B mat. A lady loves the B mat.

Here's the link for the B mat. Hope I'm making sense.
Amazon.com: We R Memory Keepers We R Memory Keepers Genius B Cutting Mat

Don't go by the negative reviews, because I've used my We R base and mats for tons high hundreds, tons of cuts, for the past 3 years!
I've already posted the link for the set I use, see my earlier post.

Last edited by Annecards; 04-17-2016 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravynView Post
These do look good! I'd been debating off & on about getting a magnetic platform anyway - and if the cutting mats are long-lasting on this set, that would be the deciding factor for me!

So - please pardon me for my stupidity - but so, with this set, you do not need to use the sizzix cutting plates any longer - the mat(s) with this platform replaces the sizzix plate (or the top plate, at least)? And the magnetic platform "replaces" the multi-purpose platform? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly... I love what I'm using at the moment - but the magnetic platform is appealing & besides, it's really nice to have several options available... Thank you so much!
No you only need the base, B mat for cutting, and A mat for embossing folders.
I just tried using only the B mat on Sizzix magnetic platform, didn't work. Then tried acrylic platform on Sizzix magnetic platform with B plate, didn't work. The We R set in my earlier works without any modification, and no acrylic plates. Hope this helps! I think there's some videos on YouTube demonstrating the platform and mats.

Last edited by Annecards; 04-17-2016 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Raven, Here's a video of what I use. The A thicker mat is for dies, the B I thinner is for embossing folders, guess I had them backwards unless We R, now making them reversed the lettering for the two. This only goes to show how long I've used this system without having to replace my mats. I ordered one mat, the thick one and have not had to use it!

Here's the Amazon link.
Amazon.com: We R Memory Keepers Genius Ultimate Magnetic Platform

Last edited by Annecards; 04-17-2016 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #54  
Inking Addict

Thank you so much Anne! I really appreciate all your help! I think I will splurge on myself & go ahead and get that platform & mat set, the one that you have!! It sounds great & I especially love that the mats are so durable & long-lasting! While I am totally happy w/ using my Accuquilt mat & having fantastic luck with it, I still am having to use a thin cardboard shim at the bottom of my sandwich to make it work.

Besides, I really like the idea of having two different options to work with - maybe a super-fussy die might like one mat better than the other, who knows...those thin dies can be funny sometimes LOL Anyway, that Genius platform set really looks good to me & your testimony that the mats have lasted you so very long, that point sells me on the system!!

Having the magnetic base will be handy sometimes, and a free set of dies thrown into the package, that will be a nice little "surprise" to see what they send I'm looking forward to getting it & trying it out!

Thank you again!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #55  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Another case of "If it isn't broken, let's fix it anyway." I wish companies would just leave well enough alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You can pretty much guarantee this has everything to do with cost, and nothing to do with product longevity! I'd be 100% sure that cheaper production costs have featured heavily in this change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
Raven, Here's a video of what I use.
Thank you for posting this video. It's now much clearer!

The only problem I can see with just one cutting mat is that you can't use a Framelit to cut a stamped image, or a certain section of patterned paper etc. since the die has to be placed cutting side up. Or is there a method for this?

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 04-19-2016 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2016, 02:30 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Thank you for posting this video. It's now much clearer! For anyone else driven crazy by slow talkers--get.on.with.it.-- just fast-forward to approx 4:10

The only problem I can see with just one cutting mat is that you can't use a Framelit to cut a stamped image, or a certain section of patterned paper etc. since the die has to be placed cutting side up. Or is there a method for this?
I use either a post it note, or painters tape to secure my die exactly where I want it on my material and flip it die side down and paper up on the platform. I didn't care about the magnets myself. The magnets are fussy, wiggle if not placed just right. Some users have added magnets by gluing extras in on the backside. I just tired of dealing with out of shape acrylic plates, and bought mine to spare myself aggravation. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

OK, I'm assuming SPR refers to Site Posting Rules. And I'm assuming since a portion of Poppy's response is shown in the quote in Post #58, but is not shown in Poppy's post #57, that a portion of Poppy's post was deleted. It looks like "For anyone else driven crazy by slow talkers--get.on.with.it.-- just fast-forward to approx 4:10" is the portion deleted. What I don't understand is why.

Can someone please explain this to me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

I contacted sizzix today and got a reply regarding plates, since I have same complaint they bow almost right away. Sizzix tried to suggest I was not using the machine properly, but that is not the case. All of a sudden after years of owning a big shot, I am replacing plates too quickly. They would not comment that the plates are different, although I am pushing the issue with Sizzix. I did make a mistake awhile back of not using a Base Plate when doing an intricate dye; that bent my framelit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

Correction to my previous message..... I made mistake of using a Base plate WITH a framelit.
Framelit bent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
OK, I'm assuming SPR refers to Site Posting Rules. And I'm assuming since a portion of Poppy's response is shown in the quote in Post #58, but is not shown in Poppy's post #57, that a portion of Poppy's post was deleted. It looks like "For anyone else driven crazy by slow talkers--get.on.with.it.-- just fast-forward to approx 4:10" is the portion deleted. What I don't understand is why.

Can someone please explain this to me?
Probably has something to do with advertising revenue on the SCS site since this is a Cut@Home video.

But I'm with Poppy, get to the point ... especially since this is a business video.

The ones that truly drive me nuts are those by (mostly) young gals who, um, you know, they like, um, ramble, you know, they like, well, they say a lot of words, you know, but it takes them, yeah, like forever, to say anything of, um, you know, of substance, uh yeah.
After the firs three or four UMs and YEAHs I stop watching ... which is often in the first two minutes of a video. Drives Me NUTS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #63  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Videos

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Probably has something to do with advertising revenue on the SCS site since this is a Cut@Home video.

But I'm with Poppy, get to the point ... especially since this is a business video.

The ones that truly drive me nuts are those by (mostly) young gals who, um, you know, they like, um, ramble, you know, they like, well, they say a lot of words, you know, but it takes them, yeah, like forever, to say anything of, um, you know, of substance, uh yeah.
After the firs three or four UMs and YEAHs I stop watching ... which is often in the first two minutes of a video. Drives Me NUTS!!!
Sorry to break thread, but I am with you on the above. More nutty stuff is the blank screen or a dirty mat while they go off subject on their kids or pets were in the car when they bought this item on their way to their mother in laws because they had a fight with their husband so now they are happy they found this stash at the $ store and just had to share it. Then you watch them open the package that is difficult to open so they go off to get a tool. You get the idea. I sometimes have to close the video to find what the subject was that made me want to view it in the first place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh no! I have my original Cuttlebug plates from 8 years ago! This is not good!
Reply With Quote Likes