Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your favorite adhesives?

Okay, please keep in mind that I'm a newbie to card-making and so I'll ask a lot of dumb questions. :-D

My question this time revolves around adhesives. I've searched and read through the threads and got some good ideas in various places, but I was wondering if you'd input here in one place for me, please.

Earlier tonite, I was putting some finishing touches on some florals and favor boxes (adorned with florals) that I've been working on all week for a shower this weekend--and it dawned on me why I am so unsure of myself with the cardmaking--it has to do with "stay-put-ed-ness"--something that I'm obsessed with in my other crafting.

With fabric and needle crafts, you can stitch stuff down to where the only way it'll come apart is if you cut it off. Same with the florals/wreaths I've worked with for years--I can stitch stuff down, anchor it down with pins and hot glue and floral tapes and etc., etc. Stuff I make like this lasts "forever"--and I don't worry about it coming apart--well, because I KNOW it and am comfortable with it coz I've been working with it for 30 years.

Now enter paper crafts. The scrapbooking I've been doing a lot of for over a year now (after a 10-year hiatus and the discovery of all kinds of new products now). I feel "okay" with the adhesives in scrapbooking for the simple reason that I put all my scrapping pages inside the plastic sleeves, so even if something were to fall off--it wouldn't be lost. But I've had a learning curve with it. First I used too much adhesive--and apparently the wrong kind (too wet). Then when I discovered the snail-type adhesive, I was thrilled (but still probably used too much of it).

But with card-making, it's a whole new ballgame for me. I am PETRIFIED that any embellishments I might use will just fall off. I was hoping that I could get comments on WHICH adhesives you like best with WHICH things. For instance, what do you prefer to use to adhere your paper layers to your cardstock (other than dimensionals--THOSE I feel comfortable with)? And ribbon? And pearls/"jewels". And the REAL biggie for me--BUTTERFLIES. (Yup, butterflies!). If I bend the wings upward--what's the best thing to anchor the "body" to the card with to keep the darn thing from flying off the card???? TIA

:confused::confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Terri,

I have a couple different Adhesives that I use on a daily bases.

1. Mono Multi Glue (Green & white Bottle) This stuff is super for making things stick together. I don't have to worry about my stuff falling apart.

http://shop.ginakdesigns.com/product...=5&productId=2

2. GlueArts Pro Tape Gun: This stuff also is very good for using with different types of paper, fabric. etc.

http://shop.gluearts.com/gluegliderpro.html

I've used other types of Adhesives....but found these work the best for me.

I also keep extra bottle of the Mono Multi glue. So this way I won't run out in the middle of project.

Same thing with the GlueArt Pro Tape Gun. I keep extra refill cartridges.

I just hate running out of any thing while I'm in middle of a project.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 01:19 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I use a range of adhesives, depending upon what I'm adhereing:
  • I love Tombow Mono Multi glue. It works for most embellishments & paper.
  • Strong double sided tape for adhering paper layers.
  • Zots/glue dots for dimensional embellies. The advantage of the glue dots over traditional foam tape is that they are clear and you can roll the glue dot small between your finger to get it very thin which is perfect for adhering the body of butterflies etc. without flattening out the wings IYKWIM.
  • For some heavier/translucent embellishments I use Glossy accents as it dries quickly & is clear too (unlike dimensional magic which takes hours to dry).

I have other adhesives, but the above are my favs and I haven't had a card or scrapbooking LO fall apart yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use several different adhesives.

Mono Multi (green and white bottle) for small embellishments and sometimes paper layers. A little goes a long way and when i first started using it, I used too much. It is a very strong adhesie and dries clear.

ATG 714 (the red one) for most paper layers. It looks large but is very easy to use and the refills are inexpensive. It really holds things together. I always had trouble with things falling apart when using Snail. I bought mine at Framing Supplies. and I use 924 tape for cards or 908 for scrapbooking.

Glue dots for small embellishments.

Red liner tape for 3-D items. I have read that Scor-tape is great also and have ordered some but haven't received it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I also use Tombo Mono Multi glue in the green and white bottle for all paper layers and most embellishments.

To attach ribbon or assemble 3-D projects, I love Scor-tape!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use the ATG750 (yellow one). The 714 would work just as well, but I bought my ATG before there was a narrower option. The ATG gets used for just about everything: adhering cardstock to cardstock, adhering ribbon to cardstock, adhering cardstock to chipboard, adhering fabric to cardstock, etc.

I also love glue dots. They come in a variety of sizes (I use the memory book style) and they're great for ribbon and small embellishments. They really work best on flat items though, so keep that in mind.

Red line tape is also a favorite. You can stick something down with this tape and it's never coming apart. I use tiny strips of this for gluing down my butterfly bellies. It's also the best thing I've used for altered projects (tins & such). Just watch out for static cling with this stuff. The red plastic adhesive protectant will cling to your fingers and your floor and your work surface like the dickens. My neighbors probably think I'm a crazy person if they ever look through my window while I'm flailing my hands around trying to fling that red plastic into the waste bin.;)

Don't rule out some of those techniques from your other crafts though. I use stitching frequently to adhere buttons, ribbons, and layers (with machine stitching). I also look for fasteners that don't require adhesive to get a strong hold. Items like brads are great because they can give a little added security to flowers, chipboard, and ribbon ends. I like to keep the insides of my cards "clean" though (aside from wrapped-around ribbon) so I try to use these techniques when I'm using layers.

I hope some of that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Another vote for the ATG 714! It costs a little more up front but you recoup the cost so quickly because the adhesive is so much less expensive.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I vote for Xyron, Scor-Tape and glue dots. Each are very strong for any application and nearly invisable on any surface.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thank you all so much for your input and all the detail!
I've not ever heard of or seen some of these particular brand things, so I'll have to research and look for these items.

And thanks for all the links. All this really helps.

And Lizzie--TOO funny about the static cling and the red line tape!!! There was a song in the 80's (I think it was) "Safety Dance", and I'm imagining all the crazy arm movements to the tune of that song!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Definitiely an ATG gun. I use it all the time to stick multiple layers together. For pearls and dew drops I use mini glue dots. For jewels I only buy heat activated jewels so I have a bejeweler pro tool that I use for that. For anything else I tend to to scotch's quick dry adhesive or the miracle red liner tape. Although I hear that scor tape is pretty good too I just haven't had the time to purchase any yet. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCritterView Post
I use the ATG750 (yellow one). The 714 would work just as well, but I bought my ATG before there was a narrower option. The ATG gets used for just about everything: adhering cardstock to cardstock, adhering ribbon to cardstock, adhering cardstock to chipboard, adhering fabric to cardstock, etc.

I also love glue dots. They come in a variety of sizes (I use the memory book style) and they're great for ribbon and small embellishments. They really work best on flat items though, so keep that in mind.

Red line tape is also a favorite. You can stick something down with this tape and it's never coming apart. I use tiny strips of this for gluing down my butterfly bellies. It's also the best thing I've used for altered projects (tins & such). Just watch out for static cling with this stuff. The red plastic adhesive protectant will cling to your fingers and your floor and your work surface like the dickens. My neighbors probably think I'm a crazy person if they ever look through my window while I'm flailing my hands around trying to fling that red plastic into the waste bin.;)

Don't rule out some of those techniques from your other crafts though. I use stitching frequently to adhere buttons, ribbons, and layers (with machine stitching). I also look for fasteners that don't require adhesive to get a strong hold. Items like brads are great because they can give a little added security to flowers, chipboard, and ribbon ends. I like to keep the insides of my cards "clean" though (aside from wrapped-around ribbon) so I try to use these techniques when I'm using layers.

I hope some of that helps!
These are all my favs too! The only problem I have with any of these isn't with the adhesive but the applicator. I have tendonitis in my elbow from a work injury and if I am doing more than a few cards the wieght of the ATG can aggrivate it if I don't wear my arm band for my elbow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Like most of the others, I like a variety. I'm not so good with glue, though.

My primary go-to is my ATG (nothing new there).

For itty bitty things like rhinestones, I use mini glue dots.

You mentioned butterfly bodies, leaving the wings free; I've used them on the MS butterfly punches for exactly this purpose. But then, I've found my ATG714 works too. If I run my gun just over the body while holding the folded wings clear, it works super.

For things that are larger but have small areas (e.g. a swirly border and die-cut letters/words), I use my Xyron 1.5". Be sure you choose the appropriate adhesive; it comes in permanent and respositionable.

I haven't read all of the posts above mine thoroughly, but I think all of those have been suggested except, perhaps, the Xyron.

Before me, you've gotten some good advice. But you may find some of this is trial-and-error depending on what works for you. Good luck finding just your right combo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

ATG 714
Mono Multi
Glue dots

Use each of these plus use red line or Scor tape for boxes and totes.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Mono-Multi in the green and white bottle for layers and images. I also use it to adhere my card fronts to the actual card, which I like to be white.

I use glue dots or Zots to attach buttons and other bulky embellishments. I usually don't stick my ribbon down on the card, but stretch it across and tape it on the back.

If you want a cheaper alternative to the Score tape or Redline tape, I would suggest this company. You get 36 yards of 1/4" double stick tape for only $3.10:

http://www.thepaperpaletteonline.com..._products

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

I did a couple of videos on my blog showing/comparing some of my favorite adhesives - several of which are listed in this thread:

Adhesive Runner Comparisons: http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co...mparisons.html

and Liquid Adhesive Video: http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co...ive-video.html

I HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the EZ Runner by Scrapbook Adhesives for a lot of my cardmaking stuff. For really large pieces that need to get stuck down really well (like to cover the lid of a paint can) I run them through my Xyron 900. For smaller die cuts, I run them through my Xyron 150 (nicknamed the "X"). When I am making boxes, or need to adhere something to textured paper, embossed paper, or stuff like that, I use Scor-Tape.

I buy the EZ Runner from Joann when it is on sale or from Ritz Camera. I purchase them in the 2-pack, and usually spend about $3.50 - $3.75 per runner. Each runner is 28 feet.

I buy the Scor-Tape directly from Scor-Pal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I use the Mono-Multi in the green and white bottle for layers and images. I also use it to adhere my card fronts to the actual card, which I like to be white.

I use glue dots or Zots to attach buttons and other bulky embellishments. I usually don't stick my ribbon down on the card, but stretch it across and tape it on the back.

If you want a cheaper alternative to the Score tape or Redline tape, I would suggest this company. You get 36 yards of 1/4" double stick tape for only $3.10:

http://www.thepaperpaletteonline.com..._products.html
Bugga, is the backing on that tape clingy like redline or terifically tacky tape, or is it more like the scor-tape where the backing doesn't stick to anything and everything?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Bugga, is the backing on that tape clingy like redline or terifically tacky tape, or is it more like the scor-tape where the backing doesn't stick to anything and everything?
Nikki, I haven't used the Scor-tape, but the one I referenced is sticky on the side you unroll and stick down, and has a white plastic liner on the other. You stick it down, and then pull off the white liner. The liner is totally non-sticky, if that helps describe it.

I order it 5 rolls at a time and have been very happy with it. Someone here turned me on to it about a year ago. At the time I was using the regular double stick tape by Scotch, which is expensive and and a pain to use. I really like this tape. I used it at Christmas to make tons of darling cardstock gift boxes for jewelry.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Nikki, I haven't used the Scor-tape, but the one I referenced is sticky on the side you unroll and stick down, and has a white plastic liner on the other. You stick it down, and then pull off the white liner. The liner is totally non-sticky, if that helps describe it.

I order it 5 rolls at a time and have been very happy with it. Someone here turned me on to it about a year ago. At the time I was using the regular double stick tape by Scotch, which is expensive and and a pain to use. I really like this tape. I used it at Christmas to make tons of darling cardstock gift boxes for jewelry.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

My faves are:

ATG714 Gun (Very economical)
Score it Tape (just like red tape only easier to peel and wider)
Zots (great for embelishments!)
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

i haven't seen these mentioned, so here are MY faves...

i use zip dry by Beacon for almost all my papercrafts. you have a little time to reposition or take up a piece that you misplaced, something that can be hard at times - or at least give you a LOT less time to act - with the green mono. but, when it sets in about 5 to 10 minutes, your project is rock solid - that paper isn't going anywhere! unless of course you need it to, then you can just use undu, pull up the piece and reapply. again - sometimes this is hard to do with mono green. also, if you get the glue where you don't want it, say a little ooze, it just rubs off when dry - kind of like glue dots. mono green isn't as easy to remove. i used to use mono green for all my projects that would be handled a lot - like mini albums, but once i found zip dry, i put away my mono! i just like it better, but i know a lot of people prefer the mono - it's a personal thing...

for embellies - like crystals, flowers (silk or prima papers), buttons, metals, chipboard, etc. i LOVE beacon's 3-in-1 glue. it has a quick tack, so it really grabs your embellies - no holding them down waiting for the glue to set, and once the adhesive dries - those babies are on there! it has similar properties to zip dry, so you can wiggle parts around for a moment or 2, and you can use undu to get up parts you misplaced, and it does rub off fairly easily (but i usually try to remove it while it's still a bit wet, it's easier). i used to have a LOT of trouble adhering flowers, especially the silk ones, they just didn't want to stay down, i'd have to weight them while the glue set. now i just dab some glue, put on a flower and go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for all these additional "sticky comments". Y'all are wonderful! (Please note that I said that in my best southern drawl!)

SCS community is fabulous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

double sided sticky tape has to be the best was fortunate enough to be given about 50 rolls of the stuff and am working though them thick and fast and I would be lost without it.

Love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Wink

I use the Creative Memories one and have for years. I like it much more than the SU one.
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes