Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Question Are you ready for Stitchable Dies?

I've sewn on cards using a sewing machine, but cross stitching is not going to happen with me. I don't have the patience for these type of dies. In my stash of embossing folders I have a cross-stitch pattern which will work on a background.

What about you?
https://youtu.be/G4TYaZks8wc
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,855 Posts

I watched Vicky today, probably right before you posted.  I downloaded the free patterns from Waffle Flower.   I used to cross stitch all of the time.  So, I watch the video, read her blog post, see the dies, and think about trying it with Aida cloth if I have the patience to stitch those tiny holes, that is.  As I get older, my eye-sight gets worse and those tiny holes are not as enjoyable as when I was young.  It does look fun to try something different but I doubt I am ready to spend the money on the dies.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 06:13 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see the value in the cross-stitch dies.   You can buy perforated paper to cross-stitch on, after all. And the shapes are pretty simple and could easily be traced and cut by hand. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I used to cross stitch back when my eyesight was better but the idea of cross stitched dies leaves me cold. I still have tons of aida cloth, and even some perforated paper, left over from my stitching days. The perforated paper always tore and frustrated me. I imagine the same thing happening with the cross stitch dies. That being said, I do have two stamp sets that are faux cross stitched designs, and those are fun. However, not interested in spending hours trying to stitch on paper.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

wow - the detail is amazing.  I too used to do counted cross stitch back in the day...   and I also used to make cards with the " Punch Needle Embroidery" ("Russian Punch" was the original name when I started with it in the mid 80's)   where you actually work from the back, and pushing the specialty needle into cloth gave you loops on the front side...  every so often I dig it out and use it.   Recently on HSN they brought it back, but I don't recall which company was reintroducing it. 
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Amen to all of the above. I don't have Aida cloth any more and gave all of my floss to one of my cousins who is an avid cross-stitcher. I do still have a fairly large stash of perforated paper and, as has already been mentioned, I can trace a pattern or use the cross stitch patterns that I kept. We used to make treat bags out of wallpaper samples back in the day, with a cross stitch panel on the front. Maybe I'll resurrect that idea for the holidays...

I still have a punch needle, too. Actually, I have two - a small one for embroidery and a large one you use with yarn to make rugs. May revisit those, too, if I get bored with other things (not likely but, hey, you never know).

In any case, the answer to the original question is no, I will not be buying any of these dies...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

No, Stitchable Dies are not for me; I make lots of cross stitch Christmas ornaments every year, lots on perforated paper and these are 2 separate hobbies for me!  I love dies but not ones that I have to stitch on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Cross stitch is my first love for crafting.  No, I don't think I will get the dies. Even small projects like the above video showed take forever to stitch. A small heart project can take up to 20 minutes to stitch if you want it to look professional and nice. I like each of my stitch projects to be unique so I never repeat a pattern. I would end up owning a bunch of dies I would never use again. I also learned how to make patterns using my electronic machines (Snc, Cameo, Cricut) many moons ago. It was one of the reasons I got into electronic cutters. There are tutorials on how to do that online.

I will admit that I am stitching elitist. I am not saying that flippantly I am one of "THOSE" stitching elitist. I think the dies teach bad cross stitching habits that might be hard to unlearn if a newbie wanted to explore more cross stitching in their future. I can see a lot of people just grabbing their sewing needles just jabbing away at the paper and wondering why it's not turning out correctly.

I do think the dies are good idea if you are a teacher who is just trying to find a fun quick project for kids to do as you teach them dexterity skills. You can whip up a bunch of easy cross stitch patterns and kit them up quickly in bulk. Also would be good for nursing home patients if you were a creative director, for example. Bulk cutting I think the dies would be a decent investment because you get your money's worth.

I do think a few cross-stitchers will have them in their toolbox just for "quick" whip up projects that they can combine their love of paper crafting with stitching. I can see that niche of stitchers enjoying the dies. I look forward to see what they will create with them. I do think it will be a small niche. Most stitchers want floss, materials and new patterns. Dies are expensive. I can buy a whole kit for one die.

Speaking of punch needle. I am about ready to start a punch needle projects. I was waiting for my hands to heal after my accident but I hope to start my project on Monday. I already have it kitted up and lovingly setting on my desk ready to go.  It is the cutest deer pattern. I have a real needle set from Russia. It's one of my most prized possessions.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a package of these 'pre-poked' designs at Ecstacy Crafts last year.  They may still be carrying them.
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2986755?&cat=500&ppuser=30633
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2020, 07:41 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree the perforated paper will accomplish the same thing as the stitchable dies.  Using the tons of cross stitch patterns I have would give more variety.  I actually use the embroidery floss on my cards as well as crochet thread.  Not one to waste anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I adore cross stitching dies.  However, I only have a few and only make them for special people who appreciate needlework.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Counted cross stitch is way in my past, and my very literal DH has trouble imagining even straight stitching where some dies put it.  For example, you and I know a photo-inspired quilt of a snowly hillside is beautiful, but he says No to stitched snowly hillsides.  :-)  Nope, I'm not buying cross-stitched dies of any image!  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It's a no for me also.  What exactly would you call a card that mixes paper crafting and cross stitching?  Hmmmmm?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Nope for me. With my luck I would pull the thread too tight and tear right through the paper!

My thought is if I am going to spend all that time on something that heavily stitched, I would rather do it on fabric and make a permanent piece for the recipient.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a cross-stitcher and have stitched on everything: fabrics, plastic and perforated paper, but... having purchased one of  those dies to create perforated card stock, I decided I much prefer buying perforated paper ready-made to punching out all those itty bitty dots (Both from the card AND the die), only to find that the die won’t always cut evenly through 80lb card, let alone 110lb!

Last edited by thatyank; 10-10-2020 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes