Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This works on the same principal as the MISTI

I stumbled onto this and it looks like it works just like the MISTI and is half the price
Here is the video where I found it
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oTVN9Lk0SSQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here is the place were it is sold
Fred B. Mullett Group: the "Big Ugly" stamp positioner

I wonder who invented it first ?

If you have an "L" stamp positioner and a large acrylic block you can make your own ;)
Barbara

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 12-26-2014 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: added video embed code
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

There are many stamp positioners/stamp ma jigs on the market. That's what this looks likes to me. A very clunky stamp ma jig. I personally can't do exact restamping with a stamp ma jig but I can with MISTI. Some people can but I couldn't. Not sure you could do it with the one in the video either. It moves too much as does the paper. If you watch closely she doesn't/can't lay the acrylic block with the stamp on it straight down either. Just my opinion and would never give up my MISTI. Thank you for sharing the video. I really like her tags and she seems to be be very talented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a neat trick that they show in the video, and you could do the same with a stamp-a-ma-jig. But with the MISTI, the card doesn't move and the hinges keep the top "block" in the same place all the time.

I know that with my stamp-a-ma-jig (which I love) and with my Fiskars stamp press (also love), I can't stamp exactly over the top of a previous image if I have a light spot I need to fill in. From what I've seen, those with the MISTI are able to do exactly that and quite easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I prefer a Stampmajig to the above positioner just because of the padded bottom to the place positioner anywhere so you don't butt the cardstock to it you just place it where it needs to be and hold it steady to stamp. If you don't get a solid image just reink the stamp with one hand whilst holding the positioner with the other. Takes a little bit of time but it works if you do it that way. The key with double stamping with any positioner is to have it on the cardstock and not let it move until you are certain you are happy with the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

While it's true that it's the "same principal" as the MISTI, and the price point is half that of the MISTI, to me the extra cost is TOTALLY worth the ease of use. You don't have to "futz" with the pieces, the stamp lands in EXACTLY the same place EVERY SINGLE TIME, and the MISTI (unlike the Big Ugly) is a self-contained, highly portable stamping surface-and-tool-in-one. Still - nice to know that there are options out there - thanks for sharing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

This looks like a good stamp positioner but it is not comparable to the MISTI, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I posted this because I am sure there are people who would like the MISTI but the price of $50 or more may be more than they can or are willing to pay .
This system is similar. Plus if they already have an L stamp positioner they could use double sided tape to attach the L and one Acrylic plate ( such as a CB plate) to a table and use a second plate to anchor the stamp. They would have a stamp postioner that works reasonably well. I tried it.

I made a Cathie Allen Handle for the top plate so it would go straight down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7Z...-LWwtC&index=2

I have a PSX L stamp positioner which came with one plate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Not even close to the MISTI!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Attentions Moderators:
Please DELETE All of my messages on this thread . I am truly sorry my good intentions to help those who can't get a MISTI has upset so many people
Thank you
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Attentions Moderators:
Please DELETE All of my messages on this thread . I am truly sorry my good intentions to help those who can't get a MISTI has upset so many people
Thank you
Barbara
OMG Barbara, please don't do that. We just love our MISTIs. Others may find this tool is right for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 854 Likes on 281 Posts

Barbara, your post hasn't upset people. They just disagree with you that the tool in the video you shared in the OP does the same thing as the MISTI. Some may have stated their opinion more bluntly/emphatically than others but no one appears to be upset.

I see the Big ugly more closely related to the Stampamajig than the MISTI myself, but, you are right, it does seem like a good tool to help with positioning of images. It is more affordable than the Misti but more expensive than the SAMJ.

IMO it's ALWAYS good to share info about useful products so please don't feel slighted. You have done this stamping community a service by sharing this product. Because you are right, not everyone can afford a MISTI or may like a different option beside the original SAMJ.

Stamp on and have a BEAUTIFUL day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Barbara - I totally agree with Shellie! I don't think anyone is upset at all, just thinking that the Big Ugly is closer to the Stamp-a-ma-jig (although easier to use, in my opinion) than the MISTI. I was glad that you shared the information because I know that the MISTI's price tag is prohibitive for some, and the Big Ugly does look easier to use (no stamping the plastic, then lining it up, etc.) than the SAMJ. Options are ALWAYS good to know about! You know how zealous converts can be, be it religious, newly non-smoking, reformed addict, you name it! Just overly enthused MISTI owners here - take it for that and nothing more. We love you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I posted this because I am sure there are people who would like the MISTI but the price of $50 or more may be more than they can or are willing to pay .
This system is similar. Plus if they already have an L stamp positioner they could use double sided tape to attach the L and one Acrylic plate ( such as a CB plate) to a table and use a second plate to anchor the stamp. They would have a stamp postioner that works reasonably well. I tried it.

I made a Cathie Allen Handle for the top plate so it would go straight down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7Z...-LWwtC&index=2

I have a PSX L stamp positioner which came with one plate
Just watched the video - great tip! I LOVE creative solutions that are so simple (and cheap or free)! I have a roll of packing tape, so I think I'll make some "Cathie handles" for some of my ink pads...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I like Cathie's handle for my stamp pads, especially the ones I use most. I'm always getting ink on my fingers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Attentions Moderators:
Thank you
Barbara
Oh Barbara don't do that. As others have said options are good and many cannot afford a MISTI. After reading all the posts I didn't detect that anyone, including myself, was upset with your post. There is no one tool that works for everyone and maybe this will help someone else out.

Thank you for sharing and have a blessed New Year.

Suzie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Attentions Moderators:
Thank you
Barbara
I absolutely love reading all about this awesome new tool but I definitely can't afford to buy one. I really appreciate your efforts to make do. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for posting. I don't have any kind of positioner and certainly can't afford a misti. But my husband could make me a L positioner which I never thought of using that way. Yes, I'm pretty basic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I bought the "big ugly" positioner years ago and still use as a stamp positioner,but I did get the Misti for Christmas and looking forward to the awesome things it can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I don't think it has anything to do with "being in protective mode" and certainly not about people being "irrational". I believe it's more about people who have actually purchased the product, including me, wanting to share the success they have had with the MISTI. This is truly a fabulous tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I don't think it has anything to do with "being in protective mode" and certainly not about people being "irrational". I believe it's more about people who have actually purchased the product, including me, wanting to share the success they have had with the MISTI. This is truly a fabulous tool!
I really don't want to be one who stirs things up, but I've kind of seen the protective mode on this tool, myself. It looks to me like a great tool; there's nothing else out there that does quite what it does; I love the idea that it was developed by a fellow stamper to solve an issue she was having herself (those are always the tools that work the best). I really, REALLY, don't want to see some big ol' company swoop in and steal the idea and cut her out of it. I've never met nor interacted with the inventor, other than her videos and web posts, but she seems like a perfectly nice person who deserves her success.

However, I saw the thread where RiverIsis got her butt handed to her because she dared suggest that if the tool needed magnets or a clear plastic sheet or grid paper to work properly, they should be included with it. As it turns out, those additional items are not NEEDED, they're just nice to have, but until she questioned it, that wasn't really clear. To my thinking, if I were the inventor and marketing the thing, I'd want to know that people were misunderstanding what was needed to make the MISTI work - so that I could edit my marketing materials and make it more clear.

It's not just this tool, it's this whole industry. I remember a number of years back, one of the scrapbooking celebrities came out with some sort of days of the week embellishment and one of the days of the week was spelled wrong. To most people, this would be a huge quality control issue. I remember on another scrapping website that some members were all over those mean people who mentioned that this misspelling meant that they wouldn't be buying this particular item - because celebrity was such a nice person and she was just trying to make a living to help support her family. I never thought it was particularly mean to think that if I were scrapbooking something with dates, I'd want the day of the week spelled correctly - even if the designer person was my very best friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I totally get why you said this tool was similar, Barbara Jay! I watched that same video and wondered about where Sandy got that tool but did not connect the dots to the MISTI...very good eye!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Attentions Moderators:
Thank you
Barbara
I am not upset. This is how things get invented. Good for you for thinking outside the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 2,186 Posts

It's funny how the written word can take on a meaning of it's own and mean something different to each individual! I didn't read any negativity into this whole thread. As a matter of fact, even though many prefer the MISTI, they loved the shared videos, as did I! I would love a MISTI and price point is not my concern. I don't shop online, so the only way I can get anything is if I can send in an order and pay by check. I do that with several companies (SNSS, Paper Smooches, ODB) but if paying by check isn't an option, I'm out of luck. :( So unless this eventually comes to a brick and mortar store, I'm just going to continue drooling! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 2,186 Posts

On a funny note, I used to think the stamp a ma jig had to be a dumb idea. That was because I didn't know how to use it! So I found a youtube tutorial by Curtis (kramomma's son) and once I saw how to use it, I fell in love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I loved the video. I really like the use of the L piece to line up the card and acrylic block for stamping. I am so glad you posted this. I am going to try the Copic watercolor technique.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I really don't want to be one who stirs things up, but I've kind of seen the protective mode on this tool, myself. It looks to me like a great tool; there's nothing else out there that does quite what it does; I love the idea that it was developed by a fellow stamper to solve an issue she was having herself (those are always the tools that work the best). I really, REALLY, don't want to see some big ol' company swoop in and steal the idea and cut her out of it. I've never met nor interacted with the inventor, other than her videos and web posts, but she seems like a perfectly nice person who deserves her success.

However, I saw the thread where RiverIsis got her butt handed to her because she dared suggest that if the tool needed magnets or a clear plastic sheet or grid paper to work properly, they should be included with it. As it turns out, those additional items are not NEEDED, they're just nice to have, but until she questioned it, that wasn't really clear. To my thinking, if I were the inventor and marketing the thing, I'd want to know that people were misunderstanding what was needed to make the MISTI work - so that I could edit my marketing materials and make it more clear.

It's not just this tool, it's this whole industry. I remember a number of years back, one of the scrapbooking celebrities came out with some sort of days of the week embellishment and one of the days of the week was spelled wrong. To most people, this would be a huge quality control issue. I remember on another scrapping website that some members were all over those mean people who mentioned that this misspelling meant that they wouldn't be buying this particular item - because celebrity was such a nice person and she was just trying to make a living to help support her family. I never thought it was particularly mean to think that if I were scrapbooking something with dates, I'd want the day of the week spelled correctly - even if the designer person was my very best friend.
Well said! Love is blind-when people are over the moon about a product or company (like SU, MISTI, Copics, etc) they just can't help but gush and sometimes take it personally when someone doesn't quite share their enthusiasm for whatever reason. I personally think it's wonderful that we have such a huge variety of toys-I mean tools-to chose from. The more the merrier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Barbara! This breaks my heart. You are a sweetie over here. To think your so upset about this. You keep posting things like this. I love you for it.

I have been seeing this MISTI thing on the board for months. I thought it was mist spray. You know I catch on quickly, girls, ROFL! Finally I decided to look at this mist spray and it's not mist spray.

I am studying to see how it's made. Do I want one? No. I don't stamp enough to justify the cost. If I could make one then I am all over it because I love to make tools.

I am siding with GirlFriday & Cbet on the jumping craziness in this industry. It's just nuts and not supportive at all. All it does is to make people feel bad and feel bullied. I know a few of my crafty friends have felt shamed for liking something or not liking something.

I am really excited for the MISTI creator. I hope she does get it patent. I really look forward to seeing what other creators come up with concepts on the MISTI or other stamp positioner's in the market.

Barbara- I know it's a bit of an old thread. I am sending you hugs because you need them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please post anything on here that helps others. I love my MISTI but have never seen the
Cathie Handle or the method using the L positioner! I would have used it for sure! I know I've purchased the thin acrylic blocks in the dollar bin. The Cathie handle will make these usable. I may can throw away my pencil!
Reply With Quote Likes