Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wizard vs. Cuttlebug?

Hi, all. I purchased a Spellbinders Wizard last year, particularly for embossing the zillions of brass templates I have accumulated over the years. After a LOT of trial and error, I finally got it working reliably. But it is not an easy tool to use - I have gotten some terrific bruises when those plates come flying out! I recently tried one of the Cuttlebug embossing folders, and loved the results - but still not the method. How does the Cuttlebug stack up? Is it easier to use? Less "violent" with the plates (and user!)? I don't want to buy another machine that I will be disappointed in, so I wanted some feedback first. Any words of wisdom for this embossing fool??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #2  
mg
Kookie Creator

You would never be disappointed with a cuttlebug!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanStamperView Post
Hi, all. I purchased a Spellbinders Wizard last year, particularly for embossing the zillions of brass templates I have accumulated over the years. After a LOT of trial and error, I finally got it working reliably. But it is not an easy tool to use - I have gotten some terrific bruises when those plates come flying out! I recently tried one of the Cuttlebug embossing folders, and loved the results - but still not the method. How does the Cuttlebug stack up? Is it easier to use? Less "violent" with the plates (and user!)? I don't want to buy another machine that I will be disappointed in, so I wanted some feedback first. Any words of wisdom for this embossing fool??
I own both the Cuttlebug and the Wizard, and I must say I like the Wizard best for a number of reasons. First, your embossed designs and the cutting are evenly done all the time. Because the Wizard uses so much pressure, the plates do pop when released; I make sure my free hand is holding them when released. Also, with the Wizard you can do much more then cut and emboss, and being a crafter with so many techniques to try, I prefer the Wizard. It’s made with metal, not plastic.

Make sure you are using the correct sandwich with the Wizard! A lot of times, people use the wrong mats, plates together that will cause to much pressure, and it‘s pops more than normal. I find the Wizard very easy to use, and because it’s not plastic more reliable.

If you need any assistance please let me know, and I will do my best to assist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 04:33 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I will definitely agree with Linda and say that I would choose the Wizard. I am very hard on my tools and the fact that the Wizard is all metal and will last is very important to me.

The Wizard is designed to deliver 3000 lbs. of pressure when running the mats through it. That's the reason it is such a versatile machine. One hint to help with the pop as the mats exit the machine is to place your die and paper or embossing folder in the center of the master mats. That gives a slight rocking motion to the plates that helps with the insertion and eases the release at the end. You can easily control the exit of the mats by having your hand on them as they come close to the end. If my mats didn't give me a slight pop as they exit, I would begin to worry that there was something wrong with my Wizard. It's a sure sign that the machine is delivering exactly what it should be so that I can get consistent results when using it.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

what is the price range of a wizard?

i have a bug and love it but also know that over time it will loose some of it's 'umph'

just wondering if a wizard is even in my 'down the road' budget.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=momis mama;9783761]what is the price range of a wizard?TIA![/QUOTE

A new one can be found for $90-130, but you might be lucky enough to find a used one for much less. Spellbinders is coming out with an electric version sometime this Spring or early Summer, so you might be able to find a better deal on the manual version when the new ones come out. That's what I'm hoping at least.

Smiles,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree, Ladies! I have a Wizard and absolutely LOVE it - with cuttlebug embossing, and all other brands of dies...it's great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Default Thanks for all the responses!

Thank you all so much! With such a variety of competing tools out there, it is really hard to know which one is going to work best for me. And my budget and increasingly-crowded craft room really don't allow for a lot of trial and error on the higher priced items.

I did get some good instructions for the Wizard from Sharalynn at Brassworks Embossing. She directed me to a great site group on Yahoo! called Lucy McGoo. They had good "recipes" for the proper combination of plates and mats to make the brass stencils emboss better. I also got good results experimenting with a couple of Cuttlebug dies. So with your help, and theirs, I believe I will stick with my Wizard. Now does anybody have a good suggestion to keep if from moving all over the table??

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just lucked into a used Wizard for $10. Woohoo! My LSS is closing its doors, and on one of the sale tables I found a basket marked "$10 for basket and entire contents." Hello!!! In it was the Wizard, a Spellbinders die, all the mats and boards for the Wizard, plus some odds and ends of weird stuff. Score!

Well, the only thing NOT included was the owner manual, so I went to the Spellbinders website and downloaded the manual and some tip sheets. One of the tips for keeping the thing from jumping all around the table was to cut large mats to put under the Wizard, sort of like placemats for your dining room table. Use 2 or 3 layers of rubbery shelf liner, and that will end the Wizard's travels.

I love my Wizard! I got the Cuttlebug right when they first came out. It is nice because it's easier to store...smaller, lighter, etc. It doesn't always provide enough pressure though, unless maybe you do a lot of monkeying around to find the right combination of shims. I started thinking about the Wizard when I started with the Nestabilities...it just made more sense to use them with the machine they were designed for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the CB and mine hasn't lost any "oomph," plus I've never broken any plates. It's very easy, physically, to use and the plates never shoot out. I've used it to emboss the brass stencils and it works well for this too. For $35-40 (with a coupon) the CB is a great choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

There is a kind of shelf liner, kind of spongy, that works well under the wizard to keep it from sliding on a table.

HTH

Rosemary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Another wizard lover here.
Reply With Quote Likes