Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIZARD

I need help. Can someone please give me the "low down" on which is best. Wizard, Big Shot, or Cuttlebug??? Do you need all three? I love the Nesties and I bought my first but I don't own a Wizard. I own a Big Shot and I am not sure if I can use them with the Big Shot. Desperate for some insight..........:confused:

"Love a Fireman! I do!"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsBlkCatView Post
I need help. Can someone please give me the "low down" on which is best. Wizard, Big Shot, or Cuttlebug??? Do you need all three? I love the Nesties and I bought my first but I don't own a Wizard. I own a Big Shot and I am not sure if I can use them with the Big Shot. Desperate for some insight..........:confused:
Congrats on your new Nesties! You're gonna be hooked!! Here's a link to some video tutorials done by none other than Spellbinders co-founder Stacy Caron (the second video link shows how to use Nesties in machines other than the Wizard).

Have fun!

http://www.spellbinderspaperarts.com/videos
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you Wendy. Question for you: Do you prefer to use the Nesties in the Wizard or do you find they are just as easy in other machines?

"Love a Fireman! I do!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #4  

Quote:

Thank you Wendy. Question for you: Do you prefer to use the Nesties in the Wizard or do you find they are just as easy in other machines?
Because I have a Wizard, I use my Wizard and LOVE it (the emboss IS more crisp in the Wizard than other machines because it operates using 3,000 pressure psi . . . that's a lot!)! Having said that, however, I have also used them in a Cuttlebug and a Big Shot and they work great there, too! If you follow the "recipe" for each machine, you should get terrific results!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, from someone who love, love, loves her Cuttlebug-I bought some Nesties and used all the sandwich recipes I found and nothing was giving me nice clear sharp results like I wanted. My LSS said all they use is the Revolution and it works great. OK. I bought it and the images were sharper but still not what I expected. So, I have been talking to a lady here on SCS about the Wizard which she says gives the impression that looks like the one on the package picture. She is sending me a sample before I decide to buy ONE MORE machine! However, in the meantime, someone on here said she uses two layers of tan mat. I was a bit nervous thinking I might break my plate or worse, my machine, but I gave it a try with my Cuttlebug and was very impressed! I know all the machines are different and I wouldn't push it if there is too much resistance but for me it was great. I am still waiting for her sample to show up before deciding. I might just have to buy the Wizard. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Cuttlebug and a BigKick -- but since I'm letting my kids use my Cuttlebug for their Cuttlekids dies, I don't really have TWO machines, right?

I'm looking at getting a Wizard for the same reasons PJill posted. Yes, it's silly to buy yet another machine, but after seeing cuts from a Wizard, I've been looking at my CB/BK cuts a little sideways now.

I've read about the different colors and the problems that some had. What's the latest new on the Wizards? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

The latest version of the raspberry Wizard is now available. The difference between it and the original raspberry Wizard is the change in the logo and a slightly different color.

We used both of the raspberry Wizards at CHA and had no problems with them. When the raspberry machines first came out there was a mat problem, but that has been addressed and fixed. Many people have said that the raspberry machine is much easier to use than the purple machine. It does seem to be easier to feed the mats, but I never had any trouble doing that with the purple machine.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

You do not need more than one machine to use Nesties. Most dies will work in any of the other company's machines.
One of the manufacturers, I believe it is Big Shot, has come out with a longer "platform" and a few extra long dies. But unless you really want the ones with the extra length, it isn't necessary to get another machine.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I say go for the Wizard with the caveat that it takes a little time getting used to especially compared to the other machines mentioned. Have fun deciding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I own a Big Shot...
You already own the most versatile of the three machines! I have successfully used the Nesties in the Big Shot.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #11  

I have had a Cuttlebug, and currently have a Big Shot and two Wizards (the old purple and the new raspberry one). You can make the dies work with good results in ALL machines, but I would have to agree the crispness of the emboss out of the Wizard is really the BEST! (It does, after all, have 3,000 lbs. of pressure psi . . . beautiful! I like my Cuttlebug results out of the Wizard, too! I have had good results in all of my machines, though, like I said. Personal preference, I guess . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Sorry, but I was reading too quickly. If you have the BS you should be good to go unless you want to own 2 machines...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use Big Shot and love my Nesties and machine! I have heard that the ratcheting noise of the Wizard is louder than the BS, and I craft late at night and do NOT want to wake the kids! If you buy one from SU now you get a bunch of free SAB sets. I like theirs best, and yes, it is just because I think it is pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I saw on the video link sent to me by Wendy, that Spellbinders has an "Excaliber" (sp), what is that? I did not see it for sale on their site. Does anyone know?

"Love a Fireman! I do!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

By the way, I so appreciate everyone's insight. At this point I leaning toward going for a Wizard......

"Love a Fireman! I do!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 03:29 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I saw on the video link sent to me by Wendy, that Spellbinders has an "Excaliber" (sp), what is that? I did not see it for sale on their site. Does anyone know?
The Excalibur has not been released yet - Spellbinders is committed to achieving the perfect balance between quality and affordability with this product, and it isn't quite there yet.

It will be a motorized die cutting machine - but not an electronic one. I know that seems like an odd distinction, but the Excalibur will use all the dies that we've been talking about on this thread and not require digital cartridges (like the Cricut or Slice).

I hope that doesn't muddy up the waters and helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 04:10 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Wizard or not.. End user.. I hope a balanced view.

Quote:

By the way, I so appreciate everyone's insight. At this point I leaning toward going for a Wizard......
When I wondered what to buy I went for the Wizard, I have not been disapointed here's why:
First I like Nesties, ABOSOLUTLY NOTHING ELSE COMPARES, so I went to a store, & I saw Nesties go through a Cuttlebug, by the store manager and bust the plates in front of my eyes, twice!:(
My Friend bought the Big Shot and it cuts crisp and several layers at once, embossing not good. But it needs WAY MORE ROOM ON YOUR TABLE because the cutting plates are big, and they have to go the full length of the machine each side. she was disapointed in the dies, very simple.
I bought the New Raspberry Wizard, stuck with it while they ironed out the mat thing (It now comes with a magnetic mat) and I love it, way ahead of the others. LITTLE space needed, embosses a dream, cuts faboulous, stencils like FAB, and does cuttlebug embossing folders too, along with other brands of dies if you should wish.
I do all mine in12" of space. for me its the Wizard everytime. I am not strong I have MS and use a wheelchair, but I can crank it no trouble. Noisy? no, my siamese cats don't wake.
"If your shy...try before you buy!" Says Dalek who's very happy with her Wizard.

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

About the Xcaliber, from PaperFections.

"It's whisper quiet and you'll still have the option of either just die cutting, just embossing, or both, with two different passes thru the machine. And are you ready for this? Drum roll, please . . . the price point will be around $129 (subject to change) and should be available around May this year (summer'ish)!! It will be the machine to go to when you want to craft late at night, in silence (how many of us do that -- I know I do!!), have a lot of projects that need to be cranked out quickly, and easy to operate/no stress on the hands/wrists for those with carpotunnel or if you need to be using your other hand for something else (like feeding the baby or talking on the phone)!!

Now the Xcalibur won't replace the current Wizard machine, which is your universal machine that will handle all types of jobs -- smashing bottle caps & setting eyelets, just to name a few. BUT there will be a fantastic change in the Wizard a little later this year, too:

[picture of a new Wizard model]

A little bit of a redesign, to help with proper mat placement, and beautiful new colors! (This machine was a prototype and will be a little more mauve in color, to match the Xcalibur's color)."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post

"It's whisper quiet and you'll still have the option of either just die cutting, just embossing, or both, with two different passes thru the machine. And are you ready for this? Drum roll, please . . . the price point will be around $129 (subject to change) and should be available around May this year (summer'ish)!! It will be the machine to go to when you want to craft late at night, in silence (how many of us do that -- I know I do!!), have a lot of projects that need to be cranked out quickly, and easy to operate/no stress on the hands/wrists for those with carpotunnel or if you need to be using your other hand for something else (like feeding the baby or talking on the phone)!!

Now the Xcalibur won't replace the current Wizard machine, which is your universal machine that will handle all types of jobs -- smashing bottle caps & setting eyelets, just to name a few. BUT there will be a fantastic change in the Wizard a little later this year, too:

A little bit of a redesign, to help with proper mat placement, and beautiful new colors! (This machine was a prototype and will be a little more mauve in color, to match the Xcalibur's color)."
So if I was thinking about buying a Wizard, but don't need it right away, would it make sense for me to wait until summer to see what the improvements are?

I have a Big Shot and a Cuttlebug, but I like the idea of deeper embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I'm going to wait for the new Wizard model. Like you, I have other machines I can use in the mean time.

I think I'll pass on the Xcaliber. It sounds like the only "improvement" is that it's quiet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I purchased a wizard after my cuttlebug handle broke, they use every other system and the old sizzix and won't break because they are made of metal.
I love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendybellView Post
Because I have a Wizard, I use my Wizard and LOVE it (the emboss IS more crisp in the Wizard than other machines because it operates using 3,000 pressure psi . . . that's a lot!)! Having said that, however, I have also used them in a Cuttlebug and a Big Shot and they work great there, too! If you follow the "recipe" for each machine, you should get terrific results!

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

If you want the very best embossing impression with the Nestabilities, get the Wizard. The Nestabilities will work in other machines, but the Wizard is far and away the best for embossing. There is a learning curve, as others have mentioned, but it's worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Embossing Machines and Nesties

Quote:

I'm going to wait for the new Wizard model. Like you, I have other machines I can use in the mean time.

I think I'll pass on the Xcaliber. It sounds like the only "improvement" is that it's quiet.
Well thanks your and all other ladies information I have decided to just wait for the Wizard later this year. I also do a lot of work late night when the hubby and kids are sleeping so the Xcaliber will also go on my WISH LIST! You have made a difficult decision come about very easy. Thanks to you and everyone else!

"Love a Fireman! I do!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Well, that's not quite all - it will make a huge difference in that you don't do anything except push a button, the motor will take care of the work. It will be a fantastic tool for people with strength issues who can not use manual die machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

It will be a fantastic tool for people with strength issues who can not use manual die machines.

That's true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I believe the above post was made almost a year ago with a projected release in May of 2008. Spellbinders is dedicated to being able to produce a safe machine and to keep the costs down. Until they are able to sell the machine with those self imposed requirements they won't release the machine. I don't know of a projected release date at this time, and I work with the company. I'd go ahead and buy the Wizard if you want a machine in the immediate futrue.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Does anyone know if the Wizard can take the Big Shot dies from SU? Also, can it cut different types of material. My CB has trouble cutting through chipboard.
Thanks!
Charlene -My Gallery
My blog: www.paperandinkplayground.com My shop: thepapersandbox.etsy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #28  
Inking Addict

I sold my purple Wizard and bought the Big Shot and I haven't regretted it at all. I am so happy with the results I get with Spellbinder dies in this machine.

I have had some wrist problems and using the Wizard especially for embossing was really hard for me and caused me a great deal of arm pain afterwards.

The other problem I think I was suffering from was that being lefthanded I was using the Wizard the "wrong way round", which maybe didn't help.

I had trouble feeding through the plates, and forever pinched my fingers painfully in the rollers too.

I may consider the Xcaliber when I know the price in the U.K., which sounds like it could be more than originally hoped, but the Big Shot is so good that maybe I don't need Xcaliber now.
Reply With Quote Likes