Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 946 Likes on 867 Posts
Default why so many ink pads

I have yet to understand why so many people need to have ink pads in every color? I have only a few basic colors like brown a blue, pink, and green which I use mostly for just smudging edges. I have maybe 3 different blacks but thats just because I need a a certian ink for certian marker coloring. Whats your reason for alot of ink pads?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to have my color inks in small cubes/dewdrops. I mainly use them for sentiments. But I do use them to stamp sentiments quite often. They are also useful for 3 step stamping, ombre effects, stamp one stamp in one color and another over the top in a different color, creating a scene with outline stamps that I don't have to color in, ink to paper techniques to blend such as a cloudy sky....(just going through my own gallery here! LOL!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
I have yet to understand why so many people need to have ink pads in every color? I have only a few basic colors like brown a blue, pink, and green which I use mostly for just smudging edges. I have maybe 3 different blacks but thats just because I need a a certian ink for certian marker coloring. Whats your reason for alot of ink pads?
If you use stamps not only to make focals, but also to make patterned paper, borders or embellishments, you need a variety of colors. It's possible to do with less if you have a lot of embossing powder colors, but sometimes you want a flat field. I like to make patterned papers and master boards in a variety of colors and styles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to do a lot of scenic stamping and needed all those colors to do so. I agree with Louisa May about needing them for background and such as well. I love having so many colors to choose from, keep thinking I need more of them to fill in the various shade gaps I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
Oh how I laughed when I saw this thread! I have so many ink pads - one in every colour from 4 different companies - because it is a sickness lol! Plain and simple.

Each ink pad is a slightly different shade and heaven forbid my ink doesn't match my card stock - yep - definitely all in my head, but I need them�..

My Gallery
Proud Dirty Dozen Alumni!
Proud DT Member for CAS-ual Fridays Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

My evil sister got me started on stamping by showing me brayering a la Michelle Zindorf. Her technique requires full sized dye based pads in several color gradations. So gorgeous. So I "had to" get lots! Evil sis!

This link is to the 600 free tutorials Michelle posted on her website - she charges a nominal fee now for her new ones, or gives them away with a purchase from her Stampin Up site.

Here is Michelle's Splitcoast gallery.

Not all, but a lot of her stuff is brayered, or sponged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I mostly have Distress Inks because I like to create backgrounds and shading. Most of my sentiments are stamped in black, gray or brown.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #8  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I am the QueenOfINKLAND - I will have them all because I love ink and I love lots of beautiful, beautiful colors and I love lots of varieties of ink types to use on many different techniques, surfaces and applications (chalk, pigment, dye, hybrid, oilbased, solvent).

Live out loud, live in color

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 04-23-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

When I started I thought I needed every SU color and my group has a stamp pad club. From there it just snowballed but now I've know better that to buy them all but I still love having a great selection. I don't many new colors as I have refills so I just keep using what I have. The exception is new SU colors. I use different colors for:
Scenes
brayering
background papers
direct to paper
edging
blending
and I'm sure there is a lot more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought lots when I started and ended up selling most of my pads when I worked out that I just didn't use them all that much. I kept the blacks and grey. There's been an odd occasion where I wanted another colour but could get around it with some other medium.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I just love COLOR plain and simple...so I want them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #12  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I forgot to add that I just got 17 bottles of Liquitex professional acrylic ink.....getting ready to start art journaling in the next few months........i'm planning lots of drips, drops, and splats ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I don't limit myself to four colors of cardstock; why would I limit myself to four colors of ink?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like having options. Plus, There may be an addiction thing as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I'll hold my hand up here with a bold statement - I don't like stamping, there, I've said it. Every time I decide to use a rubber or clear stamp (why DO SU call rubber stamps 'clear' when they are obviously not? When I say clear I mean clear) it goes wrong. Either the ink's not the right colour, the ink smudges or doesn't come out evenly or the stamp is just not the right size for what I want or I don't have the sentiment in a size or font I want.

I find it so much easier to 'stamp' digitally so I can choose any colour I want and any size or font I want and there are so many images to choose from at the touch of a button and so much cheaper than physical stamps I've never ventured into inking backgrounds etc, have never felt the need. Maybe one day I will.

For now I only ever use a black ink pad and have been considering getting rid of all my stamps as they cause me grief and take up storage.

No offence to those of you who clearly love 'inking up' !

Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I stamp and love, love color. I have 60 ink pads and will be buying more. I want to buy some from Hero Arts and Simon Says Stamp.

Last edited by Ipapercraft4u; 04-24-2014 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2014, 02:09 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

I've discovered that I don't use colored inks all that often (but that's true of ALL of my supplies - not a lot of time available), but I also know that when I want a color, I want it now! I also detest looking at a wall of ink pads (they're just not that pretty). My answer is to buy the ink refills and make my own "spots", which fit very nicely inside Really Useful Boxes or clamshells so I can tuck them out of sight until needed. I'm close to having all of SU's colors, and a decent range of Hero Arts Shadow Inks (which I bought as spots), as well as quite a few Close to My Heart inks. Full-size pads are various blacks, several distress inks, Versamark, and my beloved White Daisy pigment ink. (CTMH). Yup - that works for me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I can't really justify it, but I have a full set of ink pads from SU, Amuse Studio, and the Memento dewdrops. I do love color, and in fairness, the SU and A|S pads are completely different types. But I admit that this is excessive.

However, the thought of limiting my colors to just a few in each main color type makes me quiver. If I'm looking for a grass green, and I only had a fern green and an evergreen, I would cry. I am very particular about colors being "right".

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 532 Likes on 237 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathBelleView Post
(why DO SU call rubber stamps 'clear' when they are obviously not? When I say clear I mean clear)

Ruth
Actually they are called "wood mount" and "clear mount". That's for if they are mounted on wood or mounted on clear blocks.

But...back to the topic. I have the full set of SU pads (plus some retired) ...AND almost all the Distress inks (I'm working on the "all" part) ...AND the Versamagic dew drops ...AND now I bought a few Memento inks for stamping for coloring with Prismas, watercolors, and inktense. I've given up on black, gray, and brown from SU.

Why? Two reasons.
The different types have different properties. They do different things.
And like many already said, I often stamp solid images, and the color HAS to be right. One green would never cut it, neither would one yellow or one red or one of any other color. Variety is essential!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 04-24-2014 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like stamping, there, I've said it. Every time I decide to use a rubber or clear stamp . . . it goes wrong. Either the ink's not the right colour, the ink smudges or doesn't come out evenly or the stamp is just not the right size for what I want or I don't have the sentiment in a size or font I want.

PULEEZE! That smudge, wrong color, uneven application was intentional, didn't you know? This is an original work of art!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am definitely an inkpad addict- I have all the Adirondacks, all the Distress,loads of Memento's, Brilliance, Encore, Marvy, Versafine, Archival. I also have Cats Eye pads and Dewdrops plus an assortment of oddments. As others have said, Brayering for scenics, sponging, creating backgrounds-all sorts for different techniques, impossible to have too many inkpads, lol. Just turned round and did a quick head count- including all the types of black and embossing, but not all the Dewdrops and Cats eyes- I see 280 inkpads! Even I didn't realise I had that many
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 532 Likes on 237 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I am definitely an inkpad addict- I have all the Adirondacks, all the Distress,loads of Memento's, Brilliance, Encore, Marvy, Versafine, Archival. I also have Cats Eye pads and Dewdrops plus an assortment of oddments. As others have said, Brayering for scenics, sponging, creating backgrounds-all sorts for different techniques, impossible to have too many inkpads, lol. Just turned round and did a quick head count- including all the types of black and embossing, but not all the Dewdrops and Cats eyes- I see 280 inkpads! Even I didn't realise I had that many
:shock:
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

:shock: too! I am NOT going to count mine but I need more Distress Inks to add to my collection for making watercolour backgrounds. I do have a few inkpads that I wish I hadn't bought - multiples of white trying to get a really white white that I was happy with....sigh......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My stamp pads are my medium of choice. They are what I use to add colour to my projects. I seldom use my markers or patterned paper, so need a variety of many colours in my ink pads. And I will use nearly all those colours over a relatively short period, with the exception of one. My black ink seldom sees the light of day. I have three near full sets of different brands. Well loved and well used!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to admit to a bit of a shock too, when I counted! lol. But I've been collecting them over the last 15 years or more, some, still going strong oddly enough, were bought when I started out, and were cheap' own brand' pads. I tend to try to run these out now stamping up my stamp catalogue. Like JoBear2, I have a number of whites in the search for a good white. Including the opaque Staz-on White, which I loathe.(Along with the Buttercream, pale blue and pale pink). The Encore Metallics I love, I bought quite a few as I did a lot of heat embossing when I started. In fact, I'd say the Staz-on Opaques are the only regrets amongst my stamp pad purchases- oh, apart from the Versamark Gold and Silver shimmers- what are they about? I've never really got a good result with them- those are the only time I've bought pads based on the advertising hype, and regretted both. I suppose it depends a lot on what your do with your pads- if you stamp a lot of images to colour, then you probably don't need as many. I've never been very happy with my colouring technique, although I'm getting better, so I do a lot more with colour in backgrounds. Like Misstreez, I rarely use patterned paper- no matter how much I have it never seems right for whatever I'm doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would never think to question why anyone would have so many Copics, or Spectrum Noirs, or SU Markers, or Tombow Markers, or colored pencils or whatever. To my mind, everyone uses lots of different colors - we just all choose different coloring mediums, depending on how we like to work. ;-)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

I have to admit to a bit of a shock too, when I counted! lol. But I've been collecting them over the last 15 years or more, some, still going strong oddly enough, were bought when I started out, and were cheap' own brand' pads. I tend to try to run these out now stamping up my stamp catalogue. Like JoBear2, I have a number of whites in the search for a good white. Including the opaque Staz-on White, which I loathe.(Along with the Buttercream, pale blue and pale pink). The Encore Metallics I love, I bought quite a few as I did a lot of heat embossing when I started. In fact, I'd say the Staz-on Opaques are the only regrets amongst my stamp pad purchases- oh, apart from the Versamark Gold and Silver shimmers- what are they about? I've never really got a good result with them- those are the only time I've bought pads based on the advertising hype, and regretted both. I suppose it depends a lot on what your do with your pads- if you stamp a lot of images to colour, then you probably don't need as many. I've never been very happy with my colouring technique, although I'm getting better, so I do a lot more with colour in backgrounds. Like Misstreez, I rarely use patterned paper- no matter how much I have it never seems right for whatever I'm doing.
The VeraMark Shimmers were definitely a disappointment. I use mine like regular versamarks. The SU Illuminate is pretty but its retiring. I'm glad I bought a couple of refill inks when I bought it so I can keep it going for a while.

Earlier this year I wanted to get a handle on how many ink pads I had so I did a color chart. It took me a while to be able to get them in color order but it's working great. I was able to move out colors that were the same and had the same properties (i.e. all dye colors the same). When it was done I was able to remove about 40 pads so I'm down to 250. At first that will sound really bad but I have duplicates as I have 1 dye, 1 pigment, and 1 spot for some colors. I also have refills for most of the colors and I don't regret any of them now that I cleared out the ones that I don't like or they don't work as advertised. Yes, I am a stamp pad ho : )

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 04-29-2014 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

.... because there are flowers in every color possible? :rolleyes: Yeap, thats my reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I'll hold my hand up here with a bold statement - I don't like stamping, there, I've said it. Every time I decide to use a rubber or clear stamp (why DO SU call rubber stamps 'clear' when they are obviously not? When I say clear I mean clear) it goes wrong. Either the ink's not the right colour, the ink smudges or doesn't come out evenly or the stamp is just not the right size for what I want or I don't have the sentiment in a size or font I want.

I find it so much easier to 'stamp' digitally so I can choose any colour I want and any size or font I want and there are so many images to choose from at the touch of a button and so much cheaper than physical stamps I've never ventured into inking backgrounds etc, have never felt the need. Maybe one day I will.

For now I only ever use a black ink pad and have been considering getting rid of all my stamps as they cause me grief and take up storage.

Ruth
Wow! Can I have your stamps????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it all depends on the sort of crafting you do. I like to stamp my sentiments in a colour that matches my patterned papers. For that you need a good selection of colours. Of course, no matter how mnany inkpads you have, you still won't get a perfect colour match to every paper...which can be very frustrating!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Quote:

Ruth
SU calls their stamps wood MOUNT and clear MOUNT stamps. It is the manner in which you mount them, not the material they are made from. I hope they never stop making rubber stamps no matter how they are mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
My stamp pads are my medium of choice. They are what I use to add colour to my projects. I seldom use my markers or patterned paper, so need a variety of many colours in my ink pads. And I will use nearly all those colours over a relatively short period, with the exception of one. My black ink seldom sees the light of day. I have three near full sets of different brands. Well loved and well used!!
We are stamping sisters! This is my thinking. I use ink to stamp with---rarely do I detail color an black outlined image. I did down size at one point and limit the number of companies I have colors from. I like my card stock and paper to match, so I have mostly SU. That being said, I have not ordered any In Colors for the last 2 years---enough is enough---and I'm very happy with fewer, although I do have all the retired colors as well as the current core colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Received 946 Likes on 867 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by myusernameView Post
Wow! Can I have your stamps????
I could never get rid of my stamps but if she does there may be a long line of us wanting them LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I go through phases. When I first started stamping, I just used black ink and markers with line art stamps.

Then I started buying solid stamps and background stamps and needed every Stampin' Up color.

Then I went through a phase where I mostly used punches/dies, patterned paper, and a sentiment stamped in black.

Recently, I started getting more solid stamps and got a bunch of new ink: Amuse, Distress, Impress, Versamagic dew drops. I needed to clear out a new drawer for all of my new inks. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I have so many ink pads, if don't know where to store them. It's not that I need all the colors, but I want them, I think this is a part of stamping, we just love stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Question Clarifying SU clear mount vs clear photopolymer stamps!

[QUOTE=BathBelle;20608578] why DO SU call rubber stamps 'clear' when they are obviously not? When I say clear I mean clear

Ruth[/QUOTE

I can answer that! Stampin' Up has two kinds of mounts for their red rubber stamps. Wodden blocks or clear blocks. If you buy the "clear mount" stamps, you use them with your clear blocks. If you purchase wood mount red rubber, each stamp attaches permanently to it's own block. The clear mount save money - you buy the cleaer blocks once and mount and unmount them as you use them. Besides money, the clear mounts save storage space too.

And......Stampin' Up does now carry clear stamps (as in, the stamp itself is not red rubber). They now have photopolymer stamps, which are clear and you use them with the clear blocks. Give them a try; they are WONDERFUL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Almost all my ink pads are SU. I use inks that match my CS or dsp. I use colored ink all the time. Why? I didn't know there was any other way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #38  

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

two-step stamping' looks lovely with different colors

solid stamps need a variety of ink pad colors

i love using the ink to blend or watercolor images. reinkers work for this also

using an ink pad on a stamp, then using a versa mark pad, then using clear embossing powder -- gives a large variety of colors for embossing

rock and roll technique, as was already mentioned. roll the full stamp in a lighter color, roll the edges into a darker color -- gives a great technique

match ink to card stock as was already mentioned

use with daubers or sponges as distressing on a background

blessings, lela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

In comparison I don't have a lot of ink pads however I do have 8 black ink pads :shock:
  1. Archival Ink - my first.
  2. Versafine cube
  3. Archival Ink - Jumbo pad.
  4. Stazon -have rarely used it.
  5. Brilliance - very disappointed tbh.
  6. Memento
  7. Memento in a dew drop
  8. Gina K. Color Companion

At the moment Gina K is my go to black inkpad. Love the color and using it.

Will have to check and see if the Palette is in black... I know I have cubes of the neutral colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #40  

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Stazon - nice permanent ink, used with watercoloring

Memento - works with Copics and Blendabilities

Archival - for mixed media and collage

Pigment - for embossing

Dye Based (Classic) - all the techniques I mentioned above (2-step stamping, rock n roll, etc.)

Cubes - better for traveling and distrusting/edging

Distress - great for distressing and making backgrounds
Reply With Quote Likes