Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why do you like the Big Shot?

Convince me, I am new and want to know how it compares to other die cut machines. Why should I buy the BigShot?? Tell me what you love about it!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

Actually, I love everything about it. SU has so many things for it. The Top Note is worth it just in that. There are flowers galore and they work for all kinds of cards and if you are a scrapbooker, well, I think you would love it even more. I use it quite a bit. Just got the texturz plate, but found out I needed something else to make it work. A little disappointed about the additional purchase, but now me and backgrounds with it will be awesome.

I would say if you have a cuttlebug you understand why it is great. I did loan the top note to a friend who had a cuttlebug and she could not use it with that. You can also do fabric with the Big Shot.

Just a few things for you to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

It would be a lot cheaper to get a Cuttlebug using the 40% off coupons at JoAnn and then use Nestabilities and other dies in it. Nesties come in a shape very similar to the Top Note die, and for roughly the same price, you get Nesties in several sizes in that shape, not just the one size.

In addition to Nesties, I use Sizzlits, Embosslits, and Texturz plates in my Cuttlebug just fine.

The Big Shot is big and sturdy, but I prefer the Cuttlebug because it folds up smaller for storage. It is also lighter and much more portable, if that matters to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just got a Big Shot Express for $89 online at Joann's. I LOVE this machine. It's electronic. No more cranking. I can do anything and everything with it. It's one of the best investments I've made. I got sick and tired of up, down, up, down, fold, unfold, not sticking to my surface Cuttlelbug. The regular Big Shot still pretty much the same to me. But the BSE, I just press button and it's all done. I highly recommend it.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I had the Cuttlebug originally but upgraded to the Big Shot after 18 months so I could take some of the bigger sizzix dies and I find it a lot more sturdy than the Cuttlebug. If you use it a lot, like for almost every card you make, the Big Shot is the one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I am very happy with my Big Shot. It's super easy to use and there's over 50 materials you can cut with it. As far as "deals" go...I think the Big Shot kit is an excellent deal. The kit itself is about a $10 savings over buying all the components separately. Plus, you get hostess benefits which really adds to the value. I've sold quite a few of the Big Shots and I haven't had a single complaint. I also really like that SU! has some exclusive dies that coordinate with their stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like that the Big Shot is made to handle just about every die currently on the market, and doesn't require a lot of workarounds or fiddling so that they will fit. For me, saving a few dollars isn't worth the aggravation or the time lost with experimentation! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
I just got a Big Shot Express for $89 online at Joann's. I LOVE this machine. It's electronic. No more cranking. I can do anything and everything with it. It's one of the best investments I've made. I got sick and tired of up, down, up, down, fold, unfold, not sticking to my surface Cuttlelbug. The regular Big Shot still pretty much the same to me. But the BSE, I just press button and it's all done. I highly recommend it.
Was that on special recently? The cheapest I've seen it there is 135.99...let me know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also have the Big Shot & absolutely love it. It handles all types of dies.
It is very sturdy. Easy to crank through. I got mine at Ritz Camera for $65
no sales tax & spent the $100 for free shipping. Great Deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread with my question, but, since I have a Cricut, do I really NEED a Big Shot? Yes, I know it does the embossing (which I have to admit, I'd love to be able to do) but besides that, I love that I can cut multiple images at once with my Cricut, I don't have to do manual labor to do it (just press a few buttons) and my cartridges have so much on them as opposed to having to store each individual dye for the Big Shot. Does anyone have BOTH and what would your up-sell be to me? Convince me, please... (or maybe I shouldn't say that, since I probably shouldn't invest the money in it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 01:27 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I love my big shot. Yes I have the cricut also. I must say I use my big shot more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
I like that the Big Shot is made to handle just about every die currently on the market, and doesn't require a lot of workarounds or fiddling so that they will fit. For me, saving a few dollars isn't worth the aggravation or the time lost with experimentation! ;)
This is what I like is that it fits most dies and it is really easy to use. I really love the embossing. I would not use a cricuit enough to be worth the purchase.
I got mine last year at Costco.com.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Just got my BIG SHOT last week. Haven't had much time to play. However, the embossin folders that came with it, the background ones, I've used...love it so far. Looking forward to getting other dies now....I got mine from OVC...and six folders came with it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the BIGkick which is the same thing as the BigShot (just different color and design). I also have the Cricut and Expression. Both the BIGkick and Expression/Cricut are used for different things. So in my case both are worth it to me. BIGkick can cut any material you can cut with regular scissors.

I don't find the slightly larger size/weight of the BIGkick to be a burden. I find it much sturdier than the Cuttlebug (which is drawing dust in my closet). The BIGkick is able to handle more easily any die or embossing folder plate that I have. There are no special arrangements to be made for sandwiches or cutting down of cutting pads. Nor do you have to find make-shift items to simulate like you do in the Cuttlebug.

If you're concerned about storage of the machine, just turn it on it's side to take up less space....no big deal.

Again, though I'm using the BIGkick, there is NO difference in function or usage between the BIGkick and the BigShot.

The Expression/Cricut are super for what their functions are.

I use all my die cutting machines on a daily basis.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't own any electronic die cutting machines yet.

I do own the (manual) Big Shot, which I got when the machine first debuted.

After comparing the Big Shot, the Cuttlebug and the Wizard, the Big Shot seemed to be the most comfortable and easiest to use and I have never once regretted the decision.

I decided not to start out with an electronic type die cutter, because I wanted the ability to emboss with the texture plates and different brands of embossing folders, as well as, when using the thicker steel rule dies, the ability to cut through light-mid weight chipboard, coaster board, fabrics such as felt, thin crafting metals, etc.

I must admit, too, that I like the fact that my manual BS does not "require" electricity, so it can be used virtually anywhere.

That doesn't mean I won't add an electronic version eventually, because it has different capabilities. I've had my eye on the Silhouette for some time, ;) but, until I clear out some other unused stuff in my studio, I can't really justify adding yet another tool that will require more counter space than I currently have to give it.

While I (personally) don't think anyone would regret the companion capabilities a Big Shot would offer alongside an electronic die cutter, it probably depends on how much you believe you would use it for those things that your electronic cutter cannot do.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I've never really seen or used any other versions of die cutter. I love my Big Shot! I use it lots and it works with every die out there! I love the different embossing ones and the variety of dies you can get to go with it. I've never really done it - but it can cut through all kinds of different materials! I love that it's really sturdy. I think it's really easy to use - even my 3 year old can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I've been a sizzix fan for years now. I have the Big shot and I would not trade it for anything. It's portable (light weight) and so far has accommodated had "other" brand dies I have used with ease. I would give up just about any tool first!! before my big shot.

I'm a huge fan.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

It is easy to use, quiet (since I do lots of my work at night and don't want to wake the kids and hubby!) and instructions are printed right on the multipurpose platform so I don't have to look things up all the time! So user-friendly, and my Nesties work GREAT in it! It is also very stable on the table surface unlike some (bug comes to mind) and is very durable. Extra plates and such readily available in most big craft stores which is not true here for Wizard supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the big kick which (as already mentioned) is the same as the big shot just different color and design. I love to emboss with it and to use nesties and sizzix dies. I love to use my flourish die which I bought from Joanns at 40%off and I also love to use the little leaves die from SU. I use nestabities with it and my cuttlebug embossing folders. The machine is very sturdy, quite, and very easy to work with. Plus it has a handle so it is portable too. I got it at Michaels with a 50%off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I have an Expression, but I bought a Cuttlebug at Christmas primarily for embossing. I am actively trying to get rid of it so I can buy a Big Shot. So I would highly recommend going with the BS rather than the Cuttlebug even though it is cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

Oooh a favourite topic of mine... I've 'helped' 4 friends buy one!

I loved my cuttlebug and never thought I would sell it for the bigshot but when I started working with the Big shot I was super impressed!

For me what sold it was the embossing on the cuttlebug folders, the big shot makes the pattern more raised!

You can use all dies on the market on the big shot including the lovely XL dies.

It's pink and black... come on how stylist is that?!

Also my own personal opinion is that Provocraft have forgotton about their Cuttlebug loyal customers, they don't bring out dies for it very often any more and I feel let down by them. I'd sooner by a machine by a company that haven't forgotton their customers and who keep bringing out more dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Question

wow, thanks for all the info everyone. I am in trouble now!! Another question: can you use the Cuttle bug embossing folders in the Big Shot??

Also, what pad do you need to use with the BigShot embossing folders?? I see there are 2 in the catalog?? can someone explain?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

What's not to love? It can handle about any die out there, including the Bigz XL. Not to mention embossing folders, texturz plates, Stampin' Up! exclusive dies. It's easy to use. The project possiblilities are endless. I can use it for cards, scrapbook pages and 3-D projects. It cuts through 50 different materials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdotrView Post
wow, thanks for all the info everyone. I am in trouble now!! Another question: can you use the Cuttle bug embossing folders in the Big Shot??
Absolutely! That's the beauty of the Big Shot -- you can use ANYTHING in it!

Quote:

Also, what pad do you need to use with the BigShot embossing folders?? I see there are 2 in the catalog?? can someone explain?
The only reason to use the extended-length cutting pads is that your die is one of the large, XL ones (FYI, these pads do NOT fit in the Cuttlebug). For the Manhattan Flowers SU!/Sizzix folder, you just use the regular acrylic pads with the multipurpose platform set to the appropriate tab (there are diagrams printed right on it).

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Question

I meant the Texturz pad and Silicone pad? which one and why?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Default Love my Big Shot

I love my manual Big Shot. As I tend to "push the envelope" sometimes, if the sandwich is too thick, I can crank it back and adjust it.

Love the Provo Craft embossing folders and use them every chance I get.

I wonder if they have a wedding embossing folder. If not, there are always the swiss dots.

I love how you can push the embossing folders through sideways as well when you have a horizontal card.

So far I have found no problems at all with it and I got it last October.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I have a Pazzles electronic cutter, but would NEVER part w my Big Shot for embossing folders and its ability to cut thru felt, chipbrd , etc using the steele rule dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
What coupon did you use to get the Big Shot Express Machine for $89. Right now it's on sale for $135...???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdotrView Post
I meant the Texturz pad and Silicone pad? which one and why?
Those two are designed to be used *together* with the Texturz plates, with the silicone pad going on top of the paper and the Impressions pad on top of the whole thing. You don't use them with the Sizzix folders at all. For those, you use the same sandwich as with the Sizzlits dies.

This info is all diagrammed for you on the Big Shot's multipurpose platform, so no worries about keeping it all straight!

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

I had a CB and I got the BS and I wish I had never bought the CB. I love my Big Shot. I like that the instructions are on the mulit purpose platform and I don't have to look and experiment.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=77229
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

1. I love the price. I bought my Big Kick for $50 and it came with the MPP and standard cutting plates.

2. I love the size.

3. I love how sturdy it is

4. I love that it has survived 2 and a half years of a LOT (I'm talking every day I craft) of use and still works like it is new.

5. I love that it can accommodate any die on the home die-cutting market.

6. I love that it works with the Sizzix XL dies.

7. Sizzix has such great deals on their dies every single week on their Tuesdays Teasers. It makes it much more affordable to collect their dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoJoView Post
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread with my question, but, since I have a Cricut, do I really NEED a Big Shot? Yes, I know it does the embossing (which I have to admit, I'd love to be able to do) but besides that, I love that I can cut multiple images at once with my Cricut, I don't have to do manual labor to do it (just press a few buttons) and my cartridges have so much on them as opposed to having to store each individual dye for the Big Shot. Does anyone have BOTH and what would your up-sell be to me? Convince me, please... (or maybe I shouldn't say that, since I probably shouldn't invest the money in it...
I have teh cricut too, and would love the Big shot, but have taught about what you wrote so much too., I can cute one shape more times.
but wouldn't mind having a big shot later on too ;)
I have cb though, so for right now im good., maybe for my bday my hubby will get me one ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm glad I have the Big Shot for embossing. But I do 99% of my cutting with my Slice, which I prefer over my Cricut. There are a lot of dies I like, but it is just so much more expensive to buy the dies, vs. buying a Slice card for $40 and having so many shapes I can cut in so many different sizes. I have to REALLY love a die to buy it.
I am glad I have the option of using my Big Shot, but if I didn't have it, and money was tight, I'd buy the Slice. It can't be beat for portability. It's had it's glitches, but Making Memories customer service is FANTASTIC and they have really improved upon it. And they have e-mailed us that soon we'll be able to use a sim card to update our Slice machines as they add more features and improvements!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Pros:
- Very sturdy and easy to use, takes no effort to crank something through it
- Compatible with a wide variety of dies, handles XL dies with ease!
- Texturz plates are awesome! I like them more than emobssing folders!
- Stampin' Up! exclusives!!
- Puts you at a workshop level for freebies if ordered through a SU! demo
- Multipurpose Platform spells out the different sandwiches, not a lot of fiddling needed!

Cons:
- Bigger than a Cuttlebug if space is an issue
- Price (it's more expensive, but I believe you get what you pay for like quality!)

I had a Cuttlebug and liked it, but sold it after getting a Big Shot for my birthday last year. I would definitely pick a Big Shot again, even if I was paying for it out of my own pocket instead of a gift!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Cuttlebug owner here .... for those of you who currently have both- a Big Shot and a Bug- is the width of the opening on the Big Shot wider than the width of the opening on the Bug? Or is the opening higher in the Big Shot than on the Bug? I am just wondering because I was under the impression that the dies in the SU catalog can be used in the Bug too, but now see references that the bigger dies will not fit in the Bug. I would also be interested in knowing how much difference there is in the width of the openings in the two machines. Thanks for the information ahead of time .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaz AussieView Post
I had the Cuttlebug originally but upgraded to the Big Shot after 18 months so I could take some of the bigger sizzix dies and I find it a lot more sturdy than the Cuttlebug. If you use it a lot, like for almost every card you make, the Big Shot is the one!

I was also a CB user, but bought the Big Kick (same machine as Big Shot, but different colors) so I could use the BigZ XL dies & cutting plates. I much prefer the BK now and gave the CB to one of my kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecountryroseView Post
Cuttlebug owner here .... for those of you who currently have both- a Big Shot and a Bug- is the width of the opening on the Big Shot wider than the width of the opening on the Bug? Or is the opening higher in the Big Shot than on the Bug? I am just wondering because I was under the impression that the dies in the SU catalog can be used in the Bug too, but now see references that the bigger dies will not fit in the Bug. I would also be interested in knowing how much difference there is in the width of the openings in the two machines. Thanks for the information ahead of time .
The cutting pads for the BigZ XL dies are slightly too wide to fit through a Cuttlebug. The regular BigZ dies and their cutting plates fit, though.

You could trim or sand the BigZ XL cutting plates to fit through a CB. They only need about 1/4 to 1/2 taken off. I did that at first, but ended up buying a Big Kick anyway. The BK has it all over the CB, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I own the Cricut and the Big Shot. If I had to sell one, it would be the Cricut. The Big Shot is very versatile, doesn't require electricity...I am only limited by my imagination.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I forgot to mention the Cuttlebug. A lot of the new larger die cuts and embossing designs do not fit the platform of the Cuttlebug. Big Shot is the best $ value, most versatile, and easiest machine to use.
Reply With Quote Likes