Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the diff in Cricut & Silhouette?

Which would be better for cutting your own computer shapes for Fabric? What are the main differences in these 2 machines? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cricut is a closed system that depends solely upon (pricey) Cricut cartridges, shapes made/available for purchase in the online-only Cricut CraftRoom design software program (which is horrible, IMO), and/or shapes designed on a Cricut Gypsy hand-held design devise (which is being discontinued).

If you've narrowed your choices to a Cricut or a Silhouette, the Silhouette wins hands down. Personally, I'd buy a Sizzix Eclips instead of the Silhouette, but the Sil folks seem to love their machines, so it's probably 6 one way, half dozen the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah, I would think about comparing a Silhouette Cameo, Klic n Kut and Eclips

If I didn't already have a Cricut I wouldn't buy one now. The machine has been brilliant but I really like the flexibility the non-cartridge system gives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Yeah, I would think about comparing a Silhouette Cameo, Klic n Kut and Eclips

If I didn't already have a Cricut I wouldn't buy one now. The machine has been brilliant but I really like the flexibility the non-cartridge system gives.
Me too! I would much rather have the cameo now. You can use any font or shape on your computer. It has a trace feature that will cut out any shape or font. The silhouette store, you can buy single images instead of whole cartridges. I wish I could trade in all my cricut stuff for the cameo. I don't know about the eclips except it has the trace feature on Tim Holtz stamp/die images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

The Eclips can use a dedicated version of SCAL (called eCAL), so you can design freely, use the fonts on your computer, and/or buy/find cutfiles on the web. It also uses Sizzix cartridges and has the Tim Holtz stamp2cut cartridge sets (these sets do not include the stamps used on the various cartridges, which, as much as I love Sizzix, annoys me!).

However, eCAL can print & cut, so the TH s2c sets are not really necessary (since you have to buy the TH stamps separately anyway) unless you want ease-of-use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a cricut so I can't speak personally to how well it cuts, but I have heard that there are certain things that don't work very well. I've had my CraftRobo for about 5 years now (same as the silhouette) and its been one of the best crafting tools I have invested in. I also think that the algorithms that the software uses allow for more acurate cutting than what the cricut can. I did a lot of research on the various cutting machines at the time I was buying and rules the cricut out just simply due to the need for cartridges. They are so expensive and there may be only a few images that I would use. I love being able to design my own things and the flexibility my CraftRobo offers. I'm going to be upgrading soon to a larger machine. While I did consider the Cameo, I have decided to go with a KNK Zing machine. I think for the price, its an all around better machine. I still have to save a little more for it, but hopefully soon I'll have one in my crafting room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NanettesplaceView Post
...I don't know about the eclips except it has the trace feature on Tim Holtz stamp/die images.
From what I understand, the only thing these cartridges have are the cutting files. They do not include the images. If you had one of the other machines with the print & cut capability, you could very easily create your cutting file and wouldn't have to buy both the cartridge and stamp - just the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have both machines and a Bosskut Gazelle. All the machine will cut fabric if you use interfacing first. Eclips will cut fabric too. ;)

Cricut can cut from the computer using Cricut Craft Room but it has to be their designs, their cartridges and no third party images at this time. Like many have said already the images are expensive but Cricut has just recently started selling individual images for 99 cents.

Silhouette Cameo cuts fabric very pretty. It will not be able to cut at a denser level like the Cricut, Gazelle or Eclips so you will only be able to use light fabrics.

Out of all three machines I do not like the Cameo. I have fallen out of love with it more every day. I loved, adored and practically worshiped my older Silhouette machines. Silhouette has changed some things on their new machines. The motherboard is not as accurate as the older type machines. The blade housing is one of the worst I have ever seen. I have been working with die cut machines for several years. I did love the Cameo when it first came out. I don't love it any more. I keep hoping this years CHA that Silhouette will fix some of the issues so I will love the machine again. Most of the issues are software related and blade related. If not I am going to buy a different Graphtec machine to replace the Cameo. Graphtec makes the Cameo, Silhouette, Wishblade & CraftRobo.

Before you buy take a peek at the KNK Zing, Bosskut Gazelle & Sizzix Eclips too. I love my Gazelle for fabric. I have a friend who is a quilt artist that you have to pry the Zing out of her hands. Sizzix has always made beautiful machines for the textile artists.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
From what I understand, the only thing these cartridges have are the cutting files. They do not include the images. If you had one of the other machines with the print & cut capability, you could very easily create your cutting file and wouldn't have to buy both the cartridge and stamp - just the stamp.
The Eclips can print & cut using the (optional/additional) eCAL software. Anyone with the TH stamps and eCAL could do the same thing they could do with TH stamps and the TH Stamp2Cut sets. The S2C sets just make it easier (and they do not include the stamps, so you start out needing the stamps whether you use the TH S2C sets or the eCAL PnC capability.).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
...Before you buy take a peek at the KNK Zing, Bosskut Gazelle & Sizzix Eclips too. I love my Gazelle for fabric. I have a friend who is a quilt artist that you have to pry the Zing out of her hands. Sizzix has always made beautiful machines for the textile artists.
I've been reading on the different forums that the Zing works great with fabric. Another reason to speed up my saving. I haven't made a quilt in about 15 years and want to make one this coming year. I literally have enough fabric in my basement to start my own fabric shop.
Reply With Quote Likes