Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SU Markers with Aquapainter on SU watercolor paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamping TeacherView Post
I LOVE my Copics! My close second favorite is to watercolor, however, with my watercolor crayons!!
Could you explain to me how you use your watercolor crayons? Someone gave me a set and I have no clue what to do with them. THANKS!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #43  
Embossing Fanatic

Love my copics....then, my primsacolor pencils with baby oil =)

Visit me at Wish Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #44  
Crimping Master

Question Baby oil??

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariLynnView Post
I love my prisma colored pencils and baby oil. I tend to do a lot of coloring because I can't afford a lot of different colors of Ink. I use my black stazon ink and color away.
I had heard of the Gamsol and the prisma pencils, but how do you use the baby oil? Im guessing in the same manner :confused:
Is the oil better and easier?
It smells nicer ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Baby Oil

You use it in the same way. It definitely smells better
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie 50View Post
I had heard of the Gamsol and the prisma pencils, but how do you use the baby oil? Im guessing in the same manner :confused:
Is the oil better and easier?
It smells nicer ;)

Visit me at Wish Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Moving home to Kiwiland sometime soon, I hope! Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada until then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyCreationsView Post
Your TK cards are amazing!! Now when you say prisma pencils......do you mean the prisma watercolor pencils? I have some of both. I just bought some prisma watercolor pencils and I really like them. I used a 50% off coupon from michaels to get them. I use my dove blender and also baby oil with blending stumps. I tend to like my dove blender better becuase it has a pointier tip. Thank you so much for sharing your tips! and gallery!!!
Hi Rachel,
I use just ordinary prismacolour pencils, not watercolour pencils. I've heard that the OMS won't work with watercolour pencils? Maybe the Dove and baby oil method is better for those.
I generally use just the pencil for colouring the TKs, no blending method. I find that they are too detailed to be able to get any blending done, and I like the more intense colour.
In case anyone is interested, when I do use Prismacolour pencils to blend, I use Graumbacher brand spirits. I haven't found any Mona Lisa or Gamsol brand of OMS here. The Graumbacher seems to work!
Thanks for your kind words!
Karen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Moving home to Kiwiland sometime soon, I hope! Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada until then.

Quote:

Doest my ears deceive me? Shimmery watercolors?? Do tell....
Maybe Twinkling H20s? They are pretty cool, I kid thee not! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonnieBrownView Post
Could you explain to me how you use your watercolor crayons? Someone gave me a set and I have no clue what to do with them. THANKS!!!
I use them the same as I would the pencils; with baby oil, or my dove blender or you can use those water filled pens. But if you use regular water, stamp on watercolor paper becuase it's thicker. Thin cardstock will curl if you use regular water to blend with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

if you had asked me a week ago i would have said my favourite way to colour is with prismacolours and oms. I've tried Copics but I don't have the right cardstock for it :( So I'm going to wait a little longer to work with them.

But...my new favourite way to colour is using a waterbrush with Tim Holtz distress inks. I love the colours - they're more muted and realistic looking. There's a great tutorial on how to use them here by Marlene:
http://mar1ene.wordpress.com/distress-ink-tutorial/

I actually think I prefer the watercolouring over the prismacolours. But I also think it depends on what stamps you're using and the colours of your patterned paper. It's nice to have a couple of techniques to choose from!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Whoa, I think my head is going to explode! I'm going to have to try the baby oil, and get my hands on some copics for a test drive. Thanks everyone for posting all this great info. I feel faint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyCreationsView Post
I use them the same as I would the pencils; with baby oil, or my dove blender or you can use those water filled pens. But if you use regular water, stamp on watercolor paper becuase it's thicker. Thin cardstock will curl if you use regular water to blend with.
Thank you for taking the time to answer this for me. I've got so much I want to try now! After I get the kiddos to bed tonight I will start experimenting!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by heather777View Post
if you had asked me a week ago i would have said my favourite way to colour is with prismacolours and oms. I've tried Copics but I don't have the right cardstock for it :( So I'm going to wait a little longer to work with them.

But...my new favourite way to colour is using a waterbrush with Tim Holtz distress inks. I love the colours - they're more muted and realistic looking. There's a great tutorial on how to use them here by Marlene:
http://mar1ene.wordpress.com/distress-ink-tutorial/

I actually think I prefer the watercolouring over the prismacolours. But I also think it depends on what stamps you're using and the colours of your patterned paper. It's nice to have a couple of techniques to choose from!

oooo thanks for sharing that link! I just got some TH Distress inks today (it's fate!!).
You can also do the same with any dye ink, like the SU Classics, but for some reason I never made the leap of thought to use the Distress inks (I'm such a dumb bunny sometimes!);)
Thanks so much for pushing me in the right direction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

No problem!! I just saw the tutorial the other day and absolutely love the way the colouring looks. It seems like more european stampers colour this way. I've had a hard time finding other tutorials! I just bought some Sweet Ebony stamps and I'm totally excited to watercolour them! And you're not a dumb bunny I thought DT was mainly for inking the edges!

Quote:

Originally Posted by otagogirlView Post
oooo thanks for sharing that link! I just got some TH Distress inks today (it's fate!!).
You can also do the same with any dye ink, like the SU Classics, but for some reason I never made the leap of thought to use the Distress inks (I'm such a dumb bunny sometimes!);)
Thanks so much for pushing me in the right direction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TWINKS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

Mine is my Marvy markers and an aquapainter. Because, that's the only thing I have right now. LOL Once I get some Stampin Up markers I think that might take over.
I have a few copics and I'm practicing coloring with those.
Today I bought some Koh-I-Noor pencils to try, but I forgot baby oil or goo gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #56  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribing!! I love my gamsol and primas colour pencils.. but I thought I'd just venture out and buy a few copics.. and what do you know but I've got about 70 now. I'm loving them!! I tried a a house mouse image that I had used gamsol primas with a couple of days ago... and redid the the colouring of the image with my new copics - and wow!! So much quicker and the two looked identical to each other.

I think I'm going to love my copics for speeding things up!! That said - I'm sure I always like gamsol and prismas too..But I'm not the least sorry that I invested in my copics.. I love them! and I'll be buying more..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My favorite way to color is using dye ink and aqua painters. For bold stamps I like to use watercolor crayons directly on the rubber and then spritz with water before stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

My most used are the prismacolor pencils and gamsol. I have been working with my copics as well but still love my pencils best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #59  
Gabfest Goddess

Subscribing for all the great ideas - I've tried just about all of these and love them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadine529View Post
I have to agree with Rachel regarding the Prismacolor markers. They are very similar to Copic as far as results go because they too are alcohol markers. The price difference is pretty big. The main differences besides the price are that Copics offer a much wider color selection and they are refillable; the nibs on Copics are also replaceable. When a prismacolor marker runs dry, you pretty much have to replace it.

I have all of the Prismacolor markers, and just started to add Copics to widen my color options.

All that being said, my fave way to color is still Prismacolor Pencils and Gamsol.

But how many colors do you really need? Prisma color markers come in 156 colors... thats a lot of colors... I think I will do what you have done and start with the prisma color markers and add copics to widen the color selection... then you can mix your own too. I dont know its so confusing... I need to master the pencils first then go on to the markers..

Hugs
Jaunice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

This is such a great learning discussion! I bought colored pencils from Dick Blick's brand rather than prisma because they were less and I absolutely love those... I haven't tried alcohol markers yet, but need to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #62  
Glitter Guru

I'm really liking the way my Copics blend with the Koh-i-noor pencils! Beautiful results and I can blend to get almost any color. They are fantastic!

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Prismacolor pencils! I started using them with OMS until I read about using Goo Gone here on SCS, this place is fantastic! I love the effects I can get with the pencils which is great because I just can't bring myself to spend all that money on the Copics. I may try the Prismacolor markers someday - once my love affair with the pencils has worn down some!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #64  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love them all! I love to use my copics (going to get certified tomorrow!), I also love my watercolor paints and water brush (by sakura) . I love filling my waterbrush with blending solution and coloring with my alcohol inks on acetate. I have an order in for perfect pearls.....yup, I am a colorer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Doest my ears deceive me? Shimmery watercolors?? Do tell....
I'm sorry...I just saw this question. There are several types of shimmering watercolors. Twinkling H2O's are one kind, but there are several other more cost effective options out there. I have a couple of palettes with pan (cake?) watercolors that shimmer. I just bought a palette of 24 colors for just $8. You could probably get them even cheaper if you shopped around. Or...if you have watercolor pencils and Perfect Pearls, which unlike Pearl-Ex have a binder to hold the pigment, you can mix a little of the perfect pearls with water and use it to wet the pencils.
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC SherrieView Post
I love them all! I love to use my copics (going to get certified tomorrow!), I also love my watercolor paints and water brush (by sakura) . I love filling my waterbrush with blending solution and coloring with my alcohol inks on acetate. I have an order in for perfect pearls.....yup, I am a colorer!
Jealous about the Copic Certification!
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #67  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep reading about how excited everyone is about copic markers. How are copic markers different from su markers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #68  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbarnView Post
I keep reading about how excited everyone is about copic markers. How are copic markers different from su markers?
They are two TOTALLY different animals (so to speak) SU markers are waterbased and copics are alcohol based.....that is the biggest difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

My favorite marker is Tombow for colouring stamps. They have wonderful colours and here in Canada sell for 2.89 to 3.29 each. They are also dual ended- one end brush other end bullet tipped.
HTH.

Sheree
there is no right or wrong in creativity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by heather777View Post
No problem!! I just saw the tutorial the other day and absolutely love the way the colouring looks. It seems like more european stampers colour this way. I've had a hard time finding other tutorials! I just bought some Sweet Ebony stamps and I'm totally excited to watercolour them! And you're not a dumb bunny I thought DT was mainly for inking the edges!
I tried it out- take a look at 50th Anniversary Card by otagogirl at Splitcoaststampers

I love the way it looks!
Karen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #71  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I enjoy using SU! markers the best...Had Copics...I got rid of them...SU! is awesome...I also like using the SU! pure color markers with odorless mineral spirits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions; I'm glad I asked! Keep 'em coming! I really appreciate you all for sharing your wisdom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkminorView Post
But how many colors do you really need? Prisma color markers come in 156 colors... thats a lot of colors... I think I will do what you have done and start with the prisma color markers and add copics to widen the color selection... then you can mix your own too. I dont know its so confusing... I need to master the pencils first then go on to the markers..

Hugs
Jaunice

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Prismacolor markers have a pretty good color selection, with the exception of the pastels. Their lightest pinks and blues were too stark for me and that's why I started adding some Copics, and the price difference is pretty big, but the Copics are a far superior marker overall. I wish I was able to just buy all of them!

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

Question Staedler Markers

Anyone have staedler markers??? I have several and i really like the tips; they are foam instead of fiber like marvy are. just wondering your thoughts or tips on the staedler ones....... TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #75  
Glitter Guru

I'm new to coloring the stamps as well. I hate doing it but I keep practicing. What is the concept about the SU aqua painter? How do you use it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

I must admit I'm hooked on Prismacolor pencils and OMS. They make even me look like I can color well with minimal effort. My last dozen or so cards have been pencils (can see in my gallery), but I'm feeling guilty about my prismacolor markers sitting there so I guess I better get practicing with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Aquapainter

Quote:

Originally Posted by teach0123View Post
I'm new to coloring the stamps as well. I hate doing it but I keep practicing. What is the concept about the SU aqua painter? How do you use it?
The aquapainter is basically a brush. But you can fill the barrel end with water, bleach, or whatever you want to paint with. Give the barrel a litle squeeze to get the water flowing, and paint away! It eliminates the need for a separate glass of water if you are watercolouring, and I find I can control the water nicely with this. It's just way more convenient. I believe they come in a pack of two, one large brush, and one smaller.
Have fun with colouring, and try out some of the ideas in this thread! You are right, it will be easier if you practice, you won't hate it anymore I love colouring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #78  
Glitter Guru

Great info thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by csroyalView Post
I must admit I'm hooked on Prismacolor pencils and OMS. They make even me look like I can color well with minimal effort. My last dozen or so cards have been pencils (can see in my gallery), but I'm feeling guilty about my prismacolor markers sitting there so I guess I better get practicing with them.

Cindy, your gallery is gorgeous! I love the way you combine your coloured images and paper tole. More wonderful inspiration!
Karen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Oh my, so many great suggestions! I've been experimenting with the different medias and posted a couple on my blog. I've tried watercolors, Prisma pencils, and SU markers so far. I used the same stamp on different papers. I think I actually like the SU best so far. Check out my results on my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes