Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2016, 03:40 AM   #41  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

I use DST on rolls I can tear/cut to size. I dont have an ATG. I use several widths regularly enough that I would have to do it this way even if I had an ATG for a basic width.

The easiest (but priciest) way to do die cuts is as said-use the DST sheets. Unless you have trouble peeling the back paper off a delicate word cut. I get the sheets when they are on sale-I want them for the delicate scrollwork kind of layer dies. I also do the drop on scrap and toothpick thing* but those bigger pieces are very time consuming. Another choice is a glue pen.

It's just that I am the one for whom if I dont adhere all the parts, one will get caught and rip off. I am heavy handed.

I have several types of liquids in the house, incl green mono, aileens, glossy accents, matte medium and the glue pen. I like it all.

*I actually use a hatpin with a big pearl head. I get better control with that. I do have these things JM suggested that I use on occasion for bigger projects-they are longer than toothpicks so more comfortable for longer time periods to me. You can see various brands here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ro+applicators
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 04:21 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 942 Likes on 863 Posts

So many of the glues and tape runners can get quite pricey so I was always looking for something a bit more affordable. Especially when you need to make a ton of Christmas cards! Well believe it or not the best I have found was at the Dollar Tree. Its called just Liquid Adhesive by Allary. Its a small bottle 1.2 oz but OMG it goes along way and it's only a dollar! It sticks relatively quickly and my goodness it never comes apart! I have not had 1 card ever fall apart even after a few years. I have even gotten my friends who I gather with alot to make cards and other papercrafts to switch over to this amazing glue. We all love it! So much so that we have bought it by the case. You can buy it here: https://www.dollartree.com/office-sc...?method=search or at your local Dollar Tree. Can't hurt to try for only a dollar. The tip also can give you pretty fine lines though if you want super fine lines the Art Glitter stainless steel tips found here: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Glitterin.../dp/B0013AP4X4 fit nicely and can do very tiny details. So thats my 2 cents worth.......or should I say my dollars worth LOL. I crack myself up! Pardon me, its too early for me to be sane!:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
I am wondering what you all like to use for your cards? Are there different types you use? What about for your embellishments?

I got a card with some things I ordered from someone here in the B/S threads... The card was so well put together... no lose edges.. even the little bow adhered to the front was fastened down very well.

I want to have that confidence with my own cards. I use a couple different tape runners.. one is Elmer's and one is a runner with repositionable dots.. I can't remember the brand. I also have Glue Dots. I use pop dots sometimes. I also have a gel glue, I believe it's Elmer's too. So far I haven't had any trouble with any cards coming apart.. but I haven't made all that many yet either.

Thanks for any input. xoxo =)
I use Zig Two Way Glue Pen for small things such was word dies and other intricate die cuts. I use scrap paper from those ads that come in mailers to Glue on. Never Glue on card front! I love ScorTape when I need heavy duty hold. If the ATG looks too awkward for you try the Glue Glider Pro. It has different hold tape refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Musings on glue

I have been a SU Demo and using their adhesive products for the last 15 years. Most work very well; a few I loved (2 way Glue and Glue Sticks) have been sadly discontinued.

Newish to the glue offerings from SU are Fast Fuse Adhesive and the Fine Tip Glue Pen. The Fast Fuse is a super strong adhesive useful for multiple layers and heavy cardstock. It takes a bit of getting used to, but will become indispensable to you in a short time. The Fine Tip Pen has a tiny needle applicator and is perfect for sequins, jewels, and tiny cut outs. I would highly recommend it over Tombow because you can get a smaller drop of it.

Roll on adhesives DO differ; the cheaper ones dry out and the project falls apart--the same goes with cheap double stick tape. I love SU's SNAIL adhesive; you don't need a ton of it to get really good adhesion. I use it in all my scrapbook projects where I really want things to hold together. I use 3M double sided tape for large taping projects.

For boxes, 3D items and other big projects I use SU's Tear and Tape Adhesive--it used to come with a red strip you pulled off the top that was difficult to get off. Now it has a white paper strip and is a lot easier to work with. There are also NEW Foam Adhesive Strips that are like Dimensionals but in 9" X 1/8" strips--perfect for shaker cards!

I do use some repositionable dots when doing scrapbook layouts; it think they are by 3M.

My best advice is that is if it is unusually inexpensive, it probably won't last long and your beautiful project will fall apart. Who wants that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 249 Likes on 133 Posts
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by paris062View Post
Great topic! Here are my favorites and why.

ATG gun - I use this for practically everything. I admit I was very skeptical at first. I mean, the thing is huge. I thought it would take up too much space in my craft area and would be too hard to use. NOPE! When I finally pulled the trigger (haha pun intended :p), I immediately wished I had bought one earlier. I was spending too much money on those Tombow refills. I love it and have never looked back!

Stampin Up Dimensionals - I love, love, love these little things. I know there are other manufacturers that make similar products but for some reason I just like these better. Can be messy when you peel off the one side covering the sticky part. Those things multiply like rabbits!

Tombow Mono Multi (green and white bottle) - usually for gems and other tiny things that I can't use my ATG gun on or stick a dimensional to lol. If I have gems that are not self adhesive, I use a tiny dot of the Mono Multi to adhere them. I put the dot on the card, not the gem, and then sit the gem down gently on the dot of glue. Then I wait just a second and press it down a little.

Glue Dots - for ribbon and bows mostly.

Mod Podge - I use this for altered pieces and other crafty things not cards.
Hmmmm ... it's possible that we are related due to your above disclosure! LOL
Although I only use Mod Podge for certain non-card-making crafty ventures, I do have it handy at all times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
Why did you quote me there? lol I didn't think the pink Tombow was removable.. The removable one I was referring to was a tape runner.. with little dots.. that you can rub away. ;)
Dizzy brain (mine) - who's on first? : ) The pink Tombow does have little dots you can rub away if you make a mistake, but sticks permanently when you're done. I had just wanted to add where the link to the video was and had forgotten to do that.

I found the video a super starting point, since so many choices can be overwhelming. I've tried many adhesives since, and have added and changed some, but two from the video have remained fave go-to's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #47  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I usually use a tape runner but what I do do is put tape on both pieces of the CS that I am adhering together. I place the tape so that after the two pieces of CS are together, the lines of tape are on top of each other, basically sticking tape to tape. This method of taping has helped a lot and I don't feel I have to put as much tape on each piece. I just make sure I have tape adhering to tape. Hope this is clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

I have several adhesives/glues that I use for different purposes. My first choice for adhering layers is Scotch Double Sided Permanent tape. I have found if I just "set" the layer down, I have some wriggle room to reposition, even though it is permanent. Once it is in place to my satisfaction, I press down all over the area---especially along the edges---which makes it permanent. I use both the 1/2" and the 3/4" and have cards dating back to the early 90s that are still together.

For very narrow lines, I use Sookwang in the 1/8' size, since the Scotch DST is not narrow enough.

For detailed pieces that have lots of openings, I use Scotch Dot Roller. It is 1/4" but, as it is rolled on, it only sticks to the pieces. There is a bit of residue on each edge, but that can be rubbed off as you are pressing the piece down---good adherence and removal of the residue.

For dimension, I use the Scotch foam adhesive. It comes in big rolls and can be cut to fit any size needed. It is really sticky and nearly impossible to remove.

For bows or other lightweight embellishments, I count on glue dots. They are not so easy to apply, but even if they ball up, they will stick. They come in 2 sizes, so I always have both on hand.

I'm not a fan of liquid glue, unless it is clear dimensionl. I have Tombo green and white container, but I tend to get it all over, it gooshes out the sides, makes my fingers sticky and is impossible to remove from the cardstock. I do use it for pearls when I can make one very small dot and set the pearl in it carefully. I have lots of stamping friends that love the stuff, but I can't get it to work for me.

I do use rubber cement for my project books, as it is immediately removable and doesn't bubble when adhering paper to paper.

For flimsy products, I usually run the sturdy part through the Xyron and lay the flimsy piece onto it. I use the Xyron for glittering large surfaces, too.

I use repositional DST for masking and single sided repositionl for holding mortise masks and dies in place.

When I make envelopes to go with cards, I use Scotch Photo DST as it has carrier that can remain in place until the envelope needs to be sealed.

I do have some Red Liner tape that I use when Im putting together boxes, bags or for embossing or with homeless beedz.

E600 for heavy embellishments bought in the tiny containers, so it doesn't get gloppy and dry up.

Of course there is always masking tape, Great Tape and Post-It Tape for special projects.

Lastly, but not necessarily least, I use regular Scotch Magic tape for general use---sealing gifts, taping down scratch paper, adhering pieces that I want to flip.

Guess it is all a matter of preference, but you asked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Just reread my previous post. Just so you know, my Beedz are holeless not hopeless or homeless, as per the automatic correct!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

LOL, I wondered about those "homeless" beads!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I belong to an advanced stamping club where I live. For some reason they seem to have a penchant for Tombo Mono tape runners. We use to do a card exchange and I find that every card that was adhered with the mono runner has come apart. I used it when I first started but soon learned that it was not good. It may be the weather here in Florida. I started using the liquid mono and I, too found that it gushed out of the sides of whatever I was gluing so I stopped using that. I love my AGT gun and my new favorite is Ranger Multi Medium Matte. Even if it starts to creep out of the sides of my paper, it doesn't show because of the Matte finish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Just reread my previous post. Just so you know, my Beedz are holeless not hopeless or homeless, as per the automatic correct!
:lol: That's too funny! I read that, and thought, whaaat...? I knew you didn't mean homeless, but I wasn't sure what you did mean. ;) :lol:

In reference to these ATGs, why do they have to be so huge? I don't understand. Couldn't they use the same kind of adhesive in a smaller version? I'm really leaning toward the Tombow Multi Mono... and if it is squishing out the sides of things, that would just tell me I'm using a touch too much, no? All I know is I'm going to be shopping soon.. possibly as soon as Saturday, and I need to know what to try. And I don't want to break the bank... --->>>> ATG.
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2016, 02:14 AM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobarb26View Post
I belong to an advanced stamping club where I live. For some reason they seem to have a penchant for Tombo Mono tape runners. We use to do a card exchange and I find that every card that was adhered with the mono runner has come apart. I used it when I first started but soon learned that it was not good. It may be the weather here in Florida. I started using the liquid mono and I, too found that it gushed out of the sides of whatever I was gluing so I stopped using that. I love my AGT gun and my new favorite is Ranger Multi Medium Matte. Even if it starts to creep out of the sides of my paper, it doesn't show because of the Matte finish.
Agree about Ranger Multi Medium Matte. Benefits of Tombow but not runny, invisible if it creeps. Mostly I use it with the narrow metal tip some buy, or blob it onto craft mat to pick up, and occasionally with these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00697Y8LK...rds=microbrush
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for the Xyron Mega Runner. It is great for card layers and some embellishments. It is much easier to use than the ATG gun. I also just got a couple of precision tips to try some of the many liquid glues listed previously that I bought but hated them squishing out and leaving shiny places on the card. I just bought Ranger Matte Medium to use on sequins and embellishments a la Jennifer McGuire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #55  
Glitter Queen

This is a great thread! I love my ATG gun and have started buying adhesive for it from Tape Jungle. It's around $2 a roll with free shipping. Sometimes it tends to "reverse" but if you rub around the roll, it usually goes back to working correctly. It's a lot easier to stock up than making multiple trips to Michaels with a coupon. I also use the tombow adhesive runners. Officesupply.com has them for very close to $2 a refill and they often have other discounts which makes them cheaper. They offer free shipping with a $45 order so I ask friends and order in bulk for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2016, 05:01 AM   #56  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What silicone glue is best please?
Reply With Quote Likes