Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintlcView Post
I read that they start where the original sizes leave off...now darn if I can remember where I read that. I'll search and link back if I can find it.
I believe you are correct. Check the sizes of a regular set of Nesties and then the sizes of a Grand set inthe same shape and it looks like the Grand dies continue the size gradation
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

I scrapbook just as much as I stamp - guess that's what really sold me on these Grand Nesties - and then I saw the video, and well, I just had to preorder.....the whole Grand Calibur bundle, machine and all! Other things will just have to drop off my CHA wish list for a few months.

Am I the only one who has *dared* to preorder?

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

As far as I know, there is no gap between the Nestabilities and Grand Nestabilities. Let me double check
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

If you watch the video about Spellbinders over on Gina K.'s StampTV, you will see that there is no gap. Those babies just go right together! Its so awesome. Can't wait to get me some! LOL

StampTv
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #45  
Gabfest Goddess

I was going off the sizes here:
Standard Circles LG - Spellbinders Paper Arts - Spellbinders
Grand Standard Circles - Spellbinders Paper Arts - Spellbinders

I would love if there was just the regular 1/4" difference between the two sets. Thanks for checking, Latisha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh. thanks, Debbie! That's what I was hoping to hear. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #47  

As I thought and Debbie mentioned, the sets nest perfectly

Here is info right from Spellbinders:
This set of Grand Standard Circles coordinates with the original Nestabilities� S4-114 Standard Circles LG, and stack and layer with LF-124 Grand Scalloped Circles.

The difference between die template sizes within a Nestabilities set is �”, which becomes a �” border when layering. The Grand Nestabilities increase in size from the original set, and maintain the same increments between die templates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Geez, ladies! I hadn't even heard about this and now I really want it! You guys are killing me! This looks great and I have been trying to get back into scrapbooking so this might be the push I need. I will wait a bit cuz I know the price will go down. But I will be keeping my eye on this! Thanks for enabling me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyStampsView Post
I scrapbook just as much as I stamp - guess that's what really sold me on these Grand Nesties - and then I saw the video, and well, I just had to pre-order.....the whole Grand Calibur bundle, machine and all! Other things will just have to drop off my CHA wish list for a few months.

Am I the only one who has *dared* to pre-order?

Molly
I don't do scrapbooking so right now I am going to wait. If the prices come down I may buy just the Grand Labels and use the smaller dies in my Bigshot
I love the idea of larger dies, but right now I can't justify the money if I won't use all of the dies.
I can always change my mind
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

The Grand Nestabities perfectly increment up from the original nestabilities. That is just how we are displaying Labels Four here at the show. Have to say it's pretty amazing to see 12 of them nested together!

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

I really am liking this machine (in theory) but I just want one machine to do it all! I dont want to have to keep both my cuttlebug for my sizzix and bigz dies and this one to do the larger ones .... uggh. So many options!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #52  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy_carlaView Post
I really am liking this machine (in theory) but I just want one machine to do it all! I don't want to have to keep both my cuttlebug for my sizzix and bigz dies and this one to do the larger ones .... ugh. So many options!
You make a very good point !!. How many machines do we want to buy or have space to store? And if a person has limited work space to need more than one die cutting machine out at a time would be a nuisance . I work at my dinning room table. If I had to have my BigShot , a Grand Calibur, my 12" paper trimmer, my Xyron and all my other gear on the table I would need to assemble the card on my lap.

I think someone said the BigShot Pro will accommodate ALL dies on the market, from Bigz to Nesties. Initially I was not interested in the BigShot Pro. I don't make scrapbooks and it is a large machine . However, now that the new Grand dies are out maybe I need to rethink my position. I also want ONE machine to do it all.

Spellbinders has introduced Grand size dies, it won't be long before other companies bring out their own line of large dies so I need to plan ahead
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

hmmmmm. the wholesale price is promising - who do I know..... LOL NO ONE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
You make a very good point !!. How many machines do we want to buy or have space to store? And if a person has limited work space to need more than one die cutting machine out at a time would be a nuisance . I work at my dinning room table. If I had to have my BigShot , a Grand Calibur, my 12" paper trimmer, my Xyron and all my other gear on the table I would need to assemble the card on my lap.

I think someone said the BigShot Pro will accommodate ALL dies on the market, from Bigz to Nesties. Initially I was not interested in the BigShot Pro. I don't make scrapbooks and it is a large machine . However, now that the new Grand dies are out maybe I need to rethink my position. I also want ONE machine to do it all.

Spellbinders has introduced Grand size dies, it won't be long before other companies bring out their own line of large dies so I need to plan ahead
I think I'm always going to have to have two machines since I crop away from home a good bit. I need something portable to take with me and the Big Shot Pro DEFINITELY is NOT portable, LOL~ I think the box it came in weighed something like 65 pounds. I could barely carry is up to my studio,

But if you don't ever want to take it with you to crops, the BS pro seems to be the most versatile machine currently on the market. They are even coming out with extended plates/tray that are 12x24. Wowza!

ETA: The BS pro is not for anyone with space issues. The machine itself is 15x24 and then you need room to "roll" the stuff through it.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink

Last edited by babydal57; 07-29-2010 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I think I'm always going to have to have two machines since I crop away from home a good bit. I need something portable to take with me and the Big Shot Pro DEFINITELY is NOT portable, LOL~ I think the box it came in weighed something like 65 pounds. I could barely carry is up to my studio,

But if you don't ever want to take it with you to crops, the BS pro seems to be the most versatile machine currently on the market. They are even coming out with extended plates/tray that are 12x24. Wowza!

ETA: The BS pro is not for anyone with space issues. The machine itself is 15x24 and then you need room to "roll" the stuff through it.
WOW 15" x 24" ! That would require a lot of space to use and store. :shock:
Some people have stamping rooms. Entire die cutting ROOMS may be next :lol::lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

WOW 15" x 24" ! That would require a lot of space to use and store. :shock:
Some people have stamping rooms. Entire die cutting ROOMS may be next :lol::lol:
I know, right? I just measured it, so I know those are the right dimensions. Thank goodness my DH built me a large studio. I have a die cut counter that's 10' long. Room for my SU BS, BS Pro, Cricut Expression, and Klik n Kut XL.

I wonder if DH would agree to a die cut room?!?! He's generous, very generous, but that might even be too much for him, LOL~;)

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Subbing. Looks like a really interesting product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #58  
Glitter Queen

Aside from space concerns, it does sound like the BS Pro is everything one would need for die-cutting. I love my cuttlebug, but would love to be able to use the bigger dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

I work at my dining room table as well, and I'm certainly 'guilty' of having a number of machines: Revolution, Big Shot, Raspberry Wizard, plus a 16 inch Genesis trimmer.... but I've not hesitated to preorder the Calibur. It's going to be the only machine that will cut the Grand Nesties and/or cut a number of smaller dies with one pass. The Big Shot Pro was never on my wish list because I'm not going to make boxes, etc., and I have a close friend who has one of these now. My dining room table is large and the dining room is not ever used, so this suits me fine. I can put everything away when I have to in a couple of buffets.

I do not have one single electronic cutter to take up more space - just like the hands-on machines more, and I've discovered that there just isn't one machine out there that will "do it all" - at least not with the embossing capability of the Wizard & most likely the Calibur.

When all is said and done, Spellbinders products have never disappointed, and I use those dies more than any others I have.

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

My christmas wish list, may have need changing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #61  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Oh, i found the answer on the Spellbinders site. There is an inch between the largest of the regular nestability circle and the smallest of the new dies.
Niki-

I thought I was told they start where the regular ones leave off, so it shouldn't be an inch- that seems a tad large. It should be the regular increment jump.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #62  
clean and krafty

Quote:

I am wondering if this will just work with the nesties or if you can also use the sizzix dies and cuttlebug embossing folders too?
yep- you can-

Compatible with Sizzlets, Cuttlebug, and Quickuts dies, as well as Cuttlebug Embossing Folders and Fiskars Texture Plates.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #63  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyStampsView Post

I work at my dining room table as well, and I'm certainly 'guilty' of having a number of machines: Revolution, Big Shot, Raspberry Wizard, plus a 16 inch Genesis trimmer.... but I've not hesitated to preorder the Calibur. It's going to be the only machine that will cut the Grand Nesties and/or cut a number of smaller dies with one pass. The Big Shot Pro was never on my wish list because I'm not going to make boxes, etc., and I have a close friend who has one of these now. My dining room table is large and the dining room is not ever used, so this suits me fine. I can put everything away when I have to in a couple of buffets.

I do not have one single electronic cutter to take up more space - just like the hands-on machines more, and I've discovered that there just isn't one machine out there that will "do it all" - at least not with the embossing capability of the Wizard & most likely the Calibur.

When all is said and done, Spellbinders products have never disappointed, and I use those dies more than any others I have.

Molly
I agree- I have since given up ALL other die machines since getting my Wizard. (of course, I am a teence biased, but true!)
I am certain the Calibur won't disappoint! And just think of all the nestabilities that they could make LARGER! :grin:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

I would really like to pre-order one of these. I am in Canada. I checked out the site mentioned here and the shipping to Canada is almost $42. Anyone have any idea where the best place to purchase one of these with a better shipping rate.
thanks so much,
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #65  
Glitter Queen

I'm in Canada too (Ontario) so let me know if you find somewhere to get it, Sandy! I've already been surfing my usual on-line haunts, and can't find it.
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Me too. That's why I'm probably going to wait and get the BSP - I don't have room for it AND my Big Kick and Sizzix Press, so I will either store those away and pull them out for the craft days I host, or give them to my friend who has been lusting after them for awhile. Then I'll use the BSP for everything. I'll still keep my Sidekick - it fits in a drawer and is perfect for when my sister wants to use the letter dies for her scrapbooking.

I really like the look of the Grand Calibur, it's certainly more space-effective than the BSP but if I am going to buy yet another machine I really want a machine that can take ALL the dies and not just thin dies.

But I can't wait to get those big nesties!! That is so very exciting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

Will do Diane. I really want one of these and the price point is not too bad as long as the shipping isn't too outrageous. I love my cricut but do not want to upgrade to the expressions as I honestly do not use it enough. I love my nesties and this is exactly what I need to make some larger shapes for scrapbooking. I am determined to find it. I will keep looking. I was hoping GinaK might get it, not on the site now but there isn't any other die cutting machine at all. I watched the video of her seeing it being demoed and she loved it. Will keep looking.
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I am wondering if this will just work with the nesties or if you can also use the sizzix dies and cuttlebug embossing folders too?
You can't use the thick steel rule dies in it, like the Sizzix Bigz, Sizzix Originals, Ellison Thick Kutz, Sizzix Bigz XL, etc. You CAN use sizzlit dies (the small thin ones), the embossing folders and cuttlebug dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
You can't use the thick steel rule dies in it, like the Sizzix Bigz, Sizzix Originals, Ellison Thick Kutz, Sizzix Bigz XL, etc. You CAN use sizzlit dies (the small thin ones), the embossing folders and cuttlebug dies.
I wish the design had allowed for using the bigz..I have some SU and Tim Holtz dies and would have been nice ... oh well. Can't have everything I guess! I am in Canada too and it looks like shipping will be pretty pricey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #70  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Oh, i found the answer on the Spellbinders site. There is an inch between the largest of the regular nestability circle and the smallest of the new dies.
Here are the sizes of the Standard Nestie circles and the new Grand circles . I saved the measurements for the Standard circles from the Spellbinder site and the Grand die sizes from Scrapyland
It appears there IS 1" between the largest Standard circle lg. and the smallest Grand circle.
It certainly didn't look like that much space between them when I saw the Spellbinder video that had all of them nested together on a magnetic sheet
However, mathematically, if one circle is 1" larger than a smaller circle there will be 1/2" difference all the way around between the two circles

Large Standard Circles S4-114
There are total of 7 dies in this set.
• Dimension of each dies are approximately :
◦ 3 3/4" in diameter
◦ 3 1/4" in diameter
◦ 2 3/4" in diameter
◦ 2 1/4" in diameter
◦ 1 7/8" in diameter
◦ 1 3/8" in diameter
◦ 7/8" in diameter

Small Standard Circles S4-116
• There are total of 7 dies in this set.
• Dimension of each dies are approximately :
◦ 3 1/2" in diameter
◦ 3" in diameter
◦ 2 1/2" in diameter
◦ 2" in diameter
◦ 1 5/8" in diameter
◦ 1 1/8" in diameter
◦ 5/8" in diameter

Grand Circles LF-114

• 1: 4 3/4
• 2: 5 1/4
• 3: 5 3/4
• 4: 6 1/4
• 5: 6 3/4
• 6: 7 1/4

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 07-29-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #71  
clean and krafty

The smallest die of the Grand circles LF-114 is actually 4 1/4", NOT 4 3/4".

Scrapyland *may* have their information incorrect.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post

Aha Thank you! . That would make them nest in even increments !!
When I saw the Spellbinders video the dies on the magnetic board looked like they nested perfectly. There didn't seem to be a 1/2" gap between the standard dies and the Grand dies.
If the smallest Grand die is 4 1/4" then the other dies must be a tad smaller too. Right ?

Now I am wondering of the other dimensions of the Grand dies on Scrapyland are wrong too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

We will have plenty of time to make our decisions. Who knows when this stuff will show up in the stores. There are Spellbinder dies and Cuttlebug folders that were released at the CHA Winter Show that are still not in the stores.
Companies create a problem for themselves when they show new products, but then wait months to get them to stores. There were things I was sure I wanted when I saw them released at the Winter CHA , but I have waited so long to buy them that now I no longer really care if I get them. LOL

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 07-29-2010 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:03 AM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

We will have plenty of time to make our decisions. Who knows when this stuff will show up in the stores. There are Spellbinder dies and Cuttlebug folders that were released at the CHA Winter Show that are still not in the stores.
Companies create a problem for themselves when they show new products, but then wait months to get them to stores. There were things I was sure I wanted when I saw them released at the Winter CHA , but I have waited so long to buy them that now I no longer really care if I get them. LOL
so true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:02 AM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

See, that's the thing, and of course, you're right...They say availability is mid to late Sept. It might be October. The Grand Calibur is going to be so popular that I'm wondering if Spellbinders cannot fill all retailers' initial orders, nor consumers' preorders. But I'm not really concerned - I can wait. I'm not charged for my preorder until it's shipped. Just know I really want it - and I will REALLY use it. The Grand Nesties are just too awesome to pass up now for a "wait and see" later.

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #76  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post

Those were the measurements on the Spellbinders site, too (the incorrect ones) which is what I was using. They must have since updated the site with the correct measurements. Thanks for clarifying, AJ!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #77  
Embossing Fanatic

I saw that there is a NEW die cutting company that just came out with large formatted nesting dies that will fit into the machines you already have! DiesDirect-the only American manufacturer of thin metal dies they have some really great shapes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #78  
Glitter Queen

Apparently, this company (Die Cuts is a division of PMA) is not new. They used to manufacture for Quickkutz and Spellbinders. I copied this from their website.

"In 2004, PMA Photometals manufactured between 3 and 4 million dies for Quickutz™ before they established their own manufacturing facility. The plant subsequently failed and Quickutz™ went to China for its products.
In the following year, PMA financed the inception of Spellbinder Paper Arts Company of Arizona, providing Spellbinders™ with etched metal die technology, as well as financial and management support. This infusion of technology and business experience contributed greatly to Spellbinders™ current operations.
Since then, PMA disassociated itself from Spellbinders™ who in turn,went to China for its products."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #79  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

Oh -I was really interested in this, but not if it doesn't take Bigz. That's a bummer.
I didn't agree with the time-saver pitch in the video, either. Sure, if you're making Christmas cards in a batch and you need half a dozen different dies you could run them through at the same time, but if you're making a dozen cards the same and you only need one or two shapes cut, you're still going to have to make a dozen passes unless you own more than one set of each die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #80  
Embossing Fanatic

I do like that fact that the video shows you to use a magnet to align your dies right on top of each other, that way it looks like you will get a perfect fit between dies for the frames. I don't know what a Bigz is. But it does look like these larger dies from dies direct will work with the cuttlebug (my favorite) and then the bigshot. So no need to buy yet another machine. I tell you the amount amount of money we spend...... :O)
Reply With Quote Likes