Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wal-Mart....grrrrr

I had heard that Wal-mart was closing it's fabric and craft departments, but thought....no that could never happen!

Be warned.....if your Wal-mart is scheduled to be remodeled, then most likely the fabric and craft department will be disappearing!

Jana
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Default Wal-Mart

Hi
Yes I have heard the same thing. I hope it doesn't happen.
Marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good riddance. Then I'll never have to go in that store again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Amen to that! Except that I have a gift card that I have to spend sometime...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hate Wal-Mart. They drive every other store out of business by forcing their suppliers to give them the lowest prices. And they treat their employees bad (the ones I know of anyway). But on the other hand, if I can spend $30 on my groceries there, I feel like I have no choice but to shop there. It's a vicious circle.

My Wal-Mart just built a new Super Wal-mart. There is fabric and some crafts in it but all their stamping and scrapbooking stuff is gone. They pretty much have a whole lotta nothing unless I'm looking in the wrong place for it. I haven't looked in the office section yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee
But on the other hand, if I can spend $30 on my groceries there, I feel like I have no choice but to shop there.
Edit button! I meant $30 LESS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Our Wal-mart must be the exception..they are very helpful and the cashiers always give the price match ...even if we forget to tell them about it such as on milk and soda. I would miss the fabric and craft area and no, I don't work for Wal-mart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

My local Walmart already remodeled. The craft and fabric section is now split up. The fabrics, notions, sewing machines, etc are all in one section. The scrapbook, beads, childrens crafts, etc are all in another. The old craft department was good size...a nice selection of fabrics, yarns, scrapbook, etc. That old one had one aisle dedicated to scrapbooking & stamping (meaning both sides of one aisle). The new section has a very small aisle (10 feet or so) with scrapbooking product on only one side. Maybe one and a half.

To me, it really stinks that they split up those items (fabrics & other crafts). As a crafter, there are times when I'm looking for something for a project that involves items in both those areas.

It's definitely lessened the eagerness to go there now. They used to have a fun craft department!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Edit button! I meant $30 LESS
Haha! I was just gonna PM you to ask what your secret to only spending $30 in groceries was. We're a family of 4 and usually only spend about $60-$70 a week, but I'm always looking for ways to cut back even more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

My husband and I joke that Satan must live in Wal-Mart. Everytime we go there, we get so stressed out that we end up with a big disagreement and in a bad mood. None of the clothes fit me right, they never have what my hubby is looking for, there's usually someone's unruly child running their cart over my feet, etc.

We have one Wal-Mart in the state and that's enough for me. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a TAC, SU, and internet shopper, so I wouldn't miss it if WM took out the craft section, but I don't know what the person needing fabric will do....internet too, I guess. I think the paper crafter has become more the internet shopper.... you can find many more choices this way. I feel sorry for the LSS trying to keep up with trends in this trade, after all, look what TAC and SU are going to---two cattys a year in an attempt to keep current with the market. Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE WM---it's the ONLY choice we have for shopping locally, so I guess you do what you have to do!!!!!

Rom 12:2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

I rarely shop there, but a store near me was remodeled around October and all the same craft stuff is still around, but more up front and nicely organized. No fabric, though, but I'm not sure that location ever had it.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Okay, you all really have me worried! I am a Wally-Mart shopper and I grew up in the cradle of Sam Walton's Wal-Mart Land. I was in my local store one morning last week and everything in the scrapbook/stamping isle was tagged. I asked a worker in the craft area about it. She said that they were getting in a new line of product. I believed her because they did basically the same thing a year or so ago. At least some of you still have your craft departments so that makes me feel safe. Sorry, I can't do internet shopping for all of my supplies... I'm a feely touchy kind of shopper!

My Gallery
and My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

That's the double-edged sword that is Wal-Mart. I can buy some key things there for half the price of the grocery store, and I'm not exactly rollin' in the dough, so I have to save a buck when I can. Then on the other side, they force out competition and that STINKS. It always gives me a weird feeling. I usually only buy there the things that are a huge savings for and take my biz elsewhere for the other stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I am not a fan of shopping at Walmart, however it is because I think that the store in our town is not the best.. but if you travel 25 miles in one direction and 30 in the other direction, you get some good stores in Rolla or Lebanon, MO. Clean stores, friendly people.. I worked for Walmart for nearly 12 years and was never treated badly, never, nor was anyone else that I knew that worked for them. I am sure that in every busines there are people that have disagreements with management/owners, etc. Our store is behind on resetting the modular in the craft dept, so tonight we went to Sprinfield because I wanted some of the Autumn Leaves clear stamps that the WM's are starting to carry. I was happy to find them in the stores we went to. Can't wait to use them. I got some $1.00 clear stamps at Michael's and JoAnn's too.. they look like a lot of fun. Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

I love Walmart!!! All the scrapbook items were tagged and I used to work there and new stuff is coming in. It would NOT be fun if their craft section were to leave. I also love their ribbon section. I bought an Autumn Leaves alphabet set that was $11.93 and then I was browsing online and I didnt find the same set that was below 26 bucks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:04 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I have to share the WM experience I had yesterday. I was in line behind an elderly woman who had lots of large heavy items in her cart. The cashier, a young girl, was so kind to her throughout the transaction. At the end, the cashier asked the woman if she would like help out to her car! I know it's not cool to like WM, but I do. I've been shopping at the same one for over 7 years and I see lots of the same faces that were there in the beginning. I don't think they would be so friendly and stay there so long if they hated their jobs.

On the subject of the fabric department--The dept. manager at my store told me they are supposed to be getting rid of the fabric department and just have a few pre-cut things. She said that the only hope of changing this is for lots of customers to call 1-800-WALMART or go to walmart.com and complain.

Yes, there is a lot of fabric for sale online, but for someone who needs to make a quick custome or accessory for their kids, or just wants something right now, the convenience of WM can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:06 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry, that's costume.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Our store in Evansville is remodeling and no fabric or craft department left. The only craft stuff that they had was about one little section and that's all they are keeping. Nothing to be found really.

I feel sorry for the children who could go there and get craft items cheap. I know whenever I went, my daugher always wants to get something crafty, and she has been taught well, she'll tell me, Mom it's on sale. How can you say NO to a remark like that!

Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:40 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is... it's the people that vote with their wallets. We watched the Frontline program on PBS a year or so ago. While they did talk about how Wal-Mart is the reason that the original Rubbermaid went out of business, the bottom line was that the reason other stores went out of business is because the consumers chose to shop where the price was less. Wal-Mart doesn't cause other stores to go out of business, the consumers do.

Personally, I like shopping at Wal-Mart. I do shop at our local grocery store during the week, but on weekends we shop for items that our local store doesn't have at the Super Wal-Mart in Fargo. (Like the America's Choice flavored carbonated water!!) A friend of mine used to work in the photo lab at a Wal-Mart and liked it. My husband's former co-worker's wife is a department manager and LOVES her job.

Kimberly

Quote:

I hate Wal-Mart. They drive every other store out of business by forcing their suppliers to give them the lowest prices. And they treat their employees bad (the ones I know of anyway). But on the other hand, if I can spend $30 on my groceries there, I feel like I have no choice but to shop there. It's a vicious circle.

My Wal-Mart just built a new Super Wal-mart. There is fabric and some crafts in it but all their stamping and scrapbooking stuff is gone. They pretty much have a whole lotta nothing unless I'm looking in the wrong place for it. I haven't looked in the office section yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I forgot that I too Love shopping at WalMart, but, there is always a but, since the remodeling, their prices have gone up. It is still worth it, if you are going to do a lot of grocery or other shopping.

Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

My mom went to Walmart once and was looking for something and the associate told her, "If Walmart doesn't have it, you don't need it!" We use that motto a lot and shop our Walmart often. I know I am in the minority but I like Walmart. It is a "one stop shop" for the most part and affordable.
Reply With Quote Likes