Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2021, 06:28 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Villainous Potion

This deep purple is the latest Distress color to hit the market. Purple and orange are my least favorite colors; so one more purple is not exciting me. I've been a 'Gotta have 'em all' on the Distress line, but I think I will pass on this one. Just afraid I will see some fantastic sample and suddenly think I really do "need" it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
dougnat (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 08:31 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm underwhelmed. I have a fair number of Distress Inks, and about 10 Distress Oxides. I don't use them enough to warrant collecting. I'm not into mixed media or blending. It's just not my jam. I understand releasing an intense purple this time of year though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree! I love the distress inks but I don't love purple....at all. pass for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I LOVE IT!!! I love the color, the name, just everything. That color is perfect for those of us who do Gothic creations, enjoy themes of minerals and crystals. It is such a perfect night color. I have never bought a Glaze but I want that color in glaze. It would be so beautiful for dragon scales. i am happy it is a good jewel tone too. I can use it in my fashion illustrations.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by lylacfey:
AussieJenny (10-23-2021), dougnat (10-21-2021), Lorieann196029 (10-26-2021), tawna21 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:04 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I love it too, it looks a bit richer than wilted violet, which I use a lot. Whether I get any will depend on European availablity: RangerInk was going to charge over $80 for two pads, two refills and international shipping with taxes last time I looked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 667 Likes on 419 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I love it too, it looks a bit richer than wilted violet, which I use a lot. Whether I get any will depend on European availablity: RangerInk was going to charge over $80 for two pads, two refills and international shipping with taxes last time I looked.
Insert a fainting smiley here holy moly.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by JBgreendawn:
fl_beachbum (10-21-2021), lylacfey (10-21-2021), Patinky (10-26-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 09:47 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I fainted too. I actually gasped. That is insane and crazy pricing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2021, 11:05 PM   #8  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I think it's largely because they use UPS, who seem to have higher and less transparent brokerage charges than any other distribution company. Since the EU tax rules changed, some companies have reduced their brokerage, offset by the increased volume. Our national post service has reduced the handling charge from €10 to €3.80, and when I ordered cardstock from the UK recently, the brokerage was only €5.
Many more companies are now also taking tax off at point of purchase, so that when we import, at least we are only paying tax once not twice. Not Ranger.
And because of all the complications, a whole nother tranche of companies will simply no longer ship to Europe - Frantic Stamper comes to mind, and a couple of the UK companies I regularly bought from.
Good for my purse, and I have plenty to keep me going, but it's best not to fall in love with new product :mrgreen:. I might be in luck with this one because Sizzix UK have just started stocking some Ranger products, and they do tax pre-paid shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Renata Joyner (10-26-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I like this one. I expect I will be getting it-just the two pads. I don't do the whole line.. I passed last time. I am happy to see a jewel tone. I am thinking Shazsilverwolf would have loved this color. :/

That is crazy Sabrina. Sometimes I think the US should have more tariffs to protect our industries but this is the down side. Distress is so big that I would surprised if no one over there brings it in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2021, 11:23 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default TFS!

I love all of Tim's line of Distress colors. And this new purple will be mine 💜.
When I first found out about Tim Holtz about 15 years ago, I have been such a fan. The "blendability" of the distress inks make for wonderful background. And the oxides stamp well. I love the ability to design and play.
Thanks for sharing video with our community. I think I missed all but one of the Saturday Christmas reviews. I tried to wake up for them, but sleep thru them. But thank goodness for You Tube!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I did get hooked on those video premieres of new stuff. Amazing how much he can come up to say about one product - or one color. I made cheat sheets of notes on the watercolor crayons and some of those mediums since there is very little guidance included on the product labels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Carrie3427 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 03:52 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Sabrina- It is highway robbery what they charge you. It is really quite unfair. It's 2021 and not 1621. You live in Dublin not Antarctica! I am sure you have already screamed many times about this. :( I am screaming for you too.

Margot- I thought about Shaz too when I saw the color. It was one of my first thoughts. I was thinking how much we would both love this color and be going crazy about it over here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I fainted too. I actually gasped. That is insane and crazy pricing.
Learn to love Only One Life Creations. Their pricing for Distress products beats everyone else's and they are a pleasure to deal with. I wish more people knew about them. https://onlyonelifecreations.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Would this work?

Quote:

I admit to knowing nothing about international shipping…I send one card to England each year, usually less than $3. Is it a workable idea that one of us here in the U.S. buys what you want here and sends it to you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 671 Likes on 449 Posts

Quote:

I think it's largely because they use UPS, who seem to have higher and less transparent brokerage charges than any other distribution company. Since the EU tax rules changed, some companies have reduced their brokerage, offset by the increased volume. Our national post service has reduced the handling charge from €10 to €3.80, and when I ordered cardstock from the UK recently, the brokerage was only €5.
Many more companies are now also taking tax off at point of purchase, so that when we import, at least we are only paying tax once not twice. Not Ranger.
And because of all the complications, a whole nother tranche of companies will simply no longer ship to Europe - Frantic Stamper comes to mind, and a couple of the UK companies I regularly bought from.
Good for my purse, and I have plenty to keep me going, but it's best not to fall in love with new product :mrgreen:. I might be in luck with this one because Sizzix UK have just started stocking some Ranger products, and they do tax pre-paid shipping.
Sabrina,

Killusty Crafts in Tipperary carries Distress and Distress Oxides. I didn't see the new colors listed, but they might be getting it in or might be able to order for you since they order from Ranger. Here's a link to the DOX: https://killustycrafts.ie/product/se...istress+Oxides
Reply With Quote Likes
Cook22 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was lucky enough to win the villainous potion distress oxide pad in a competition to add to my collection. . Haven’t received it yet but looking forward to trying it out. I do like purples
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemurLoverView Post
Learn to love Only One Life Creations. Their pricing for Distress products beats everyone else's and they are a pleasure to deal with. I wish more people knew about them. https://onlyonelifecreations.com/
I like them too, but their shipping is painfully slow. I canceled my last order of in stock products from them. Two weeks and it hadn't shipped. I can understand if it's a reserve product, but it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I have not experienced any delay on delivery from Only One Life Creations on in stock items, and I have ordered many times. Right now I am waiting on an order from them, but it is pre-order Tim Holtz Christmas ephemera, and they have no control over its arrival date. Hope it is not stuck on a ship in a harbor until February!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Would it be cheaper to buy from a UK source? It's widely available here (UK) and much less shipping costs.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #21  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUKView Post
Would it be cheaper to buy from a UK source? It's widely available here (UK) and much less shipping costs.
Yes, but with Brexit many suppliers (Sevenhills, Joanna Sheen etc) are no longer shipping to Europe, and unless it's a company which has implemented the OSS for tax, or sorts it out at source (Sizzix have all year, it looks as if CraftStash have just started), there's still import tax and brokerage. And a bad exchange rate! I'll probably get round to getting it from Sizzix at some stage. Until the July tax changes, small orders from the US were still viable, not any more.
Reply With Quote Likes