Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Video of new Spellbinders machine

I just found this video of the new Spellbinders Platinum machine that will be available in August . Looks like it has a lot of features we have been asking for .

It cuts up to 8 layers and even cuts fabric and felt . 8 layers would be wonderful when I need a lot of die cuts that are alike and I only have one die . I am in the process of cutting 1,000 ( yes 1 thousand) leaves for a friend who is making an artificial tree for a display . I only have one die so I am cutting them one at a time :(
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0MTX2H2y3so?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Barbara

PS I just saw another video from Cut At Home that said in the future there will be an attachment to make this machine operate with electricity

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 07-08-2015 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Added embed code. On YT just click share > embed > copy code & paste
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol NEW steel rule dies? Isn't that like the old Sizzix dies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, it really bent the top cutting plate and it sure looked like she had to crank it hard when she first started. It would be nice to have something compact but would open larger. Since it's steel rollers that must be pretty heavy. Now I'm wondering if I could run a die with some kind of platform through my rolling mill. I use my rolling mill for making jewelry.
Barbara, Do you have any idea what this will cost?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billie AnneView Post
Wow, it really bent the top cutting plate and it sure looked like she had to crank it hard when she first started. It would be nice to have something compact but would open larger. Since it's steel rollers that must be pretty heavy. Now I'm wondering if I could run a die with some kind of platform through my rolling mill. I use my rolling mill for making jewelry.
Barbara, Do you have any idea what this will cost?
I have not seen the price listed anywhere, however Spellbinders has a drawing for a New Platinum machine AND some steel ruled dies. They say the value of the prize package is $240. I am not sure how many dies they are including in the prize package. So my "Guess" is just the machine will be $150 to $200.

Probably $100 for Black Friday :lol::lol::cool:

It looks interesting but I would need to see how much it weights and if it stays anchored to the table when in use . I don't want another "Kangaroo" machine
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 07-12-2015 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barbara Jay, I just went to Spellbinders web site and the machine is listed for $199. but not available until August 2015. It doesn't list if you get anything else besides the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

barbara jay, do you have a silhouette? maybe that would be easier to cut so many leaves? and sorry about having to cut so many leaves....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Barbara ... Wondering if the leaves need to be identical or if maybe the Splitcoaststampers community can send you bunches of diecuts?

I know I have a Spellbinders leaf die "somewhere" ... got it years ago to use with my purple Wizard!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
barbara jay, do you have a silhouette? maybe that would be easier to cut so many leaves? and sorry about having to cut so many leaves....
And I have a Silhouette Portrait that I'm thinking of listing in BST!

That's way too many leaves - yikes. I hope there isn't a short deadline for that. (And what die are you using for the leaves? It would be great if I happen to have it. I have some dies set aside to sell but if we had a match, I'd send it to you!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
It cuts up to 8 layers and even cuts fabric and felt . 8 layers would be wonderful when I need a lot of die cuts that are alike
It's not the machine that's critical for that, it's the die. Any steel rule die will cut multiple layers for you and there area already leaf shaped steel rule dies out there. Something like the Tim Holtz Tattered Leaves die would be great if you don't need all the leaves the same shape - there are three leaves on the die so if you cut six layers at once that's 3x6 = 18 leaves in one pass.

Steel rule dies will cut fabric and felt too, no problem. If you already have a die cutter that will take them, you might be better spending your budget on the dies than a new machine.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default So Many Leaves, So Little Time

If I had to have that many leaves, I would buy more of the die, enough to fit on one pass through your machine. I did that with the Peace Dove last year, had room for 3 dies on each pass through the machine.

The year before, I needed 300 of a certain snowflake. I found the die-cuts on Ebay for something like $5 a hundred. I bought the 300, HOWEVER I was very sorry to find they were cut from ordinary copy paper and looked too cheap to use. You would be smarter and find out what kind of stock is being used! I was amazed at how many different designs and colors of die-cuts were offered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Steel rule dies will cut fabric and felt too, no problem. If you already have a die cutter that will take them, you might be better spending your budget on the dies than a new machine.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what "Steel rule die" means, but I bought some phrase ones and use them in my Cuttlebug , without the platform. I imagine they would also go through the Big Shot, without the platform. The wonderful thing about them is that you don't have to pick the die-cut out of the die......it just falls out easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for all of your leaf cutting suggestions.
First I OFFERED to do this. My friend crochets authentic period doll costumes and must have 40 dolls she has done. She is turning her spare room into a doll room and making various scenes for the dolls. She decided she needed trees to go with the park benches and other things she has . Her dolls are exquisite

I have a Silhouette and cut 800 of the leaves that way but when I reduced the birch leaves to 1" they lost their zig zag edges . So I am cutting those by hand with a Cheery Lynn die . One at a time :rolleyes:

She is "hand coloring" each leaf and glueing a wire to them before she attaches them to the wire tree she formed . The leaves are 1' and 1 & 1/2" long .
2 trees are Autumn colors and two trees are Spring colors
Here are her latest dolls. That is a picture behind them but they will be in a park like scene when the trees are done . She also found the horse at a garage sale . It had a broken leg and was a mess . She rehab him LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Video of new Spellbinders machine-foxhuntdone-004.jpg   Video of new Spellbinders machine-foxhuntdone-010.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2015, 01:04 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
I don't know what "Steel rule die" means, but I bought some phrase ones and use them in my Cuttlebug , without the platform.
It sounds like you have steel rule if you're using without the platform.

There are basically two types of die - wafer thin and steel rule.

Wafer thin dies are the ones like Spellbinder and, as the name suggests, they're very thin. That means the raised cutting line has a low profile and won't go through thicker materials or multiple layers. It's not the pressure of the machine that's making a difference, it's the depth of the "blade" on the die (ask me about crush cutting if you really want to know why I put those quotation marks!).

A steel rule die has a much deeper profile so they're able to cut more layers or thicker material. Because of the thickness of the die itself, you don't use a platform in your machine and they do tend to have that thick rubbery layer that pings your die cut right out for you.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
She is "hand coloring" each leaf and glueing a wire to them before she attaches them to the wire tree she formed
She must have even more patience than you! Not just for the leaves but those doll clothes must be crocheted with very fine thread to be done on such a small scale. It's nice that you can collaborate on making the scenes for them - always good to share a bit of creativity!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2015, 01:13 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I meant to say - smaller, more intricate designs tend to be wafer thin dies. Steel rule are usually larger shapes with simpler lines. So your tiny, fiddly leaf is unlikely to show up as a steel rule die and the only way to cut multiples in one pass is going to be to have multiple dies on your platform.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching this - she says (and shows) it's HEAVY. I was thrilled when I graduated from my original Sizzix machine to my Big Shot - talk about major difference in weight. I can actually move it from place to place. And I'd love to have just a little more width so I can emboss full card fronts in portrait or landscape mode. Is anyone entering the contest? Can't decide if question 1 is metal, steel, aluminum?
Reply With Quote Likes