Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Self Healing Mat with Gemini Junior

Has anyone tried cutting down a self healing mat and using that for cutting plate for Gemini Junior? I just purchased a Gemini Junior and have been reading that the cutting plates don't last very long and I'm trying to find an alternative. Also - has anyone used Sizzix Big Shot cutting plates with their Gemini Junior?
Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried You Tube? That was where I saw about using the self healing mats in other machines. Can't recall if the Geminis were among them though.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumdivaView Post
Has anyone tried cutting down a self healing mat and using that for cutting plate for Gemini Junior? I just purchased a Gemini Junior and have been reading that the cutting plates don't last very long and I'm trying to find an alternative. Also - has anyone used Sizzix Big Shot cutting plates with their Gemini Junior?
Thanks for your responses!

I haven't tried it yet (saw the same info and was worried) but let me tell you that if you flip your plates (as suggested) they do last. You'll see cuts in it, but resign yourself to using both plates (and both sides of them) and they seem to last a long time. I've only had my jr about 6 months now, but use it exclusively and am very pleased with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I tried this today with my Gemini, and it was terrible. I ruined the self-healing mat. It warped so badly that I'm going to have to throw it away. Does anyone know if it can be flattened again?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2019, 04:28 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Yes, I have and it has extended the life of my pads greatly. I bought a large self-healing mat and cut it into 12 pieces that fit the Gemini Junior. Yes, it has warped the mat badly but it keeps cutting beautifully. In three months of cutting, I have thrown out only two of the self-healing mats. So my $20 investment should last for over a year of cutting. It works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

That's what I was afraid of. I spent $10 on that mat, and it is ruined. It also sounded like it was going to break the machine. I just spent $12 on a new Gemini plate, and I think it will last me a few months. The newest plate I already have doesn't seem to be warping at all. Thanks for the info, though. I'm glad it works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 02:53 AM   #7  
sbd
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you mind sharing the sandwich you use and order when using the self healing mat?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 03:11 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

This is the sandwich I use, starting at the bottom:

plate
self-healing mat
paper
die facing down
magnet
plate

Because my top and bottom plates are warped, I do use washi tape to hold the die in place on the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I started using the self healing mats as well with my Gemini Jr, but they seem to warp just as fast as the CC Plates. I DO flip and rotate after EVERY turn - use my Gemini Jr almost daily. I was disappointed the mats warp the same as the plates. Good luck with yours
Mac
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I commented on the video I watched, and the user said that was the idea. The self-healing mats warped and needed to be replaced, but that they were cheaper to replace. Umm, only by $2, and they warped after the FIRST use. At least I get more use out of the plastic plates. I can't use the self-healing mat because it's so warped the dies won't cut properly. This doesn't seem to be an economical solution to me, and I was really disappointed. That mat cost me $10, and now it's ruined. Epic fail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Could thickness play a part in some having success and others not? I have a few self healing mats, including a couple huge ones not used in my craft room, and the thickness varies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I commented on the video I watched, and the user said that was the idea. The self-healing mats warped and needed to be replaced, but that they were cheaper to replace. Umm, only by $2, and they warped after the FIRST use. At least I get more use out of the plastic plates. I can't use the self-healing mat because it's so warped the dies won't cut properly. This doesn't seem to be an economical solution to me, and I was really disappointed. That mat cost me $10, and now it's ruined. Epic fail.
I think there was too much pressure which is what warped the mat. I ruined one of my Evolution self healing mats trying to cut too much. Definitely not as forgiving as acrylic plates. LOL Then like an idiot I force it. I was so dang mad at myself! It was entirely my fault for trying to cut too much at on time. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

If the self-healing mats that you are all using are the green (or purple or whatever) gridded ones designed for use with a rotary cutter, those do warp quite easily. I have been using a Go! Accuquilt mat for several years, and there is no warping at all. You have to experiment with the sandwich a bit (thickness variance, don'tcha know?), but well worth it!. I believe I got mine for $10 or so with a coupon at Hobby Lobby, although I haven't seen them there recently. Google will find one for you, I'm sure. (I would provide a link, but I'm at work and Cybersecurity won't let me...) I have the 6" x 12", I believe.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
If the self-healing mats that you are all using are the green (or purple or whatever) gridded ones designed for use with a rotary cutter, those do warp quite easily. I have been using a Go! Accuquilt mat for several years, and there is no warping at all. You have to experiment with the sandwich a bit (thickness variance, don'tcha know?), but well worth it!. I believe I got mine for $10 or so with a coupon at Hobby Lobby, although I haven't seen them there recently. Google will find one for you, I'm sure. (I would provide a link, but I'm at work and Cybersecurity won't let me...) I have the 6" x 12", I believe.
Thank you for the tip using the Accucut Quilt Mats. I was going to try one of my expensive green self healing mats for rotary cutting fabric. Can’t remember what brand they are but I remember they were pretty expensive. Two mats cover my dinning room table so they are fairly big. Lol

After the debacle ruining my Evolution self healing mat I haven’t had any issues. The replacement and other original mat work great and lay flat. They have been put to the test since I am constantly die cutting. Every die machine is different and do not have the same amount of pressure. What works for me may not necessarily work for someone else. I’m off to google mats...
Thanks a bunch!
Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Quote:

I just ordered the 6 x 6 from their web site - they don't have the size of the Gemini Plates. Two for $18.99 so at that price, I hope they work better than the green Olfa rotary mats I have been using. I saw a You Tube video using Olfa mats so I ordered several from Amazon (the comments were in high praise of those mats). they only last a few weeks and warp beyond use. I didn't realize there was a difference in rotary self healing and other self healing. thank you for the info !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2019, 06:15 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Mine is (soon to be WAS) grey. I just don't want to spend the time or money trying out different mats. It isn't worth the frustration either. I'm going to just use the mats that CC makes for the Gemini. I think that in the long run, they will be the cheapest. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes