Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uses for Hot Knife???

I've been checking out the Hot Knives...the ones that are used for cutting through EZ Mount. What I'm wondering is if you have found them useful for anything other than that? I'm being thrifty and would like to have more than one use for it if I get one!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Hot knife

You can also use it for cutting away the liner of a CD case so you don't have a big empty spot that your unmounted stamps can slide out of. A little time consuming, but well worth the trouble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've seen it used for cutting out the SU! stamps. http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ife-meets
"I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward�to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back." (Philippians 3:13-14)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

The hot knife that I bought has several tips... so you can give the edges of paper a burnt look, or you can trace out images you print off the computer, there was a few "stamp" type tips. Lots of neat things to explore... I still haven't ventured into them yet... but looking forward to doing so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapperOnWheelsView Post
I've seen it used for cutting out the SU! stamps. http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ife-meets.html
Thanks for posting this, I found it worked like a CHARM!!
Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I'd seen AmyR's post on her blog about using the Hot Knife. It's good to know that more than one person has had success using it to cut through rubber. I'm thinking it could be pretty handy to have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by reneejul1View Post
Julie, when you cut through the rubber was it using a slow, steady motion or were you able to cut through fairly fast? I guess what I'm getting at is the ease at which the knife moves through both the rubber and foam?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchickView Post
Julie, when you cut through the rubber was it using a slow, steady motion or were you able to cut through fairly fast? I guess what I'm getting at is the ease at which the knife moves through both the rubber and foam?
It was steady, but it went pretty fast! I really liked it, and it helped not cutting through the paper, since I didn't have to cut twice.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

No prob. After I posted it, I was thinking I prbably should have asked you if I could post it since it came from your blog.
"I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward�to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back." (Philippians 3:13-14)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Julie, did you just have a pad of paper under or a cutting mat or glass? Just got my knife and want to try it successfully. Sawing motion, slow pulling motion, something else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I think that I was the first to suggest that the Hot Knife could be used for cutting out your SU stamps way over a year ago but it really didn't catch attention until someone wanted a clean way to preserve the negative rubber image when she was cutting out her "Big Blossom" SAB stamp last december. I have been using mine successfully for over 3 years to cut all of my SU stamps and even to separate parts of mounted stamps that I have purchased. (separate sentiments from image on Mikes $$ stamps)

Here is the link to the original thread with the questions and comments and some of the problems that ppl had with the tool, I pulled it out of my member archives and it works for me but not sure if it is a viable link for everyone ...if it doesn't work for you I can C&P if you want it in a PM...

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Questions about this tool seem to pop up every few months, the latest thread I saw was in July, that one is still viable and gives some advice as well in post #26
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Although I have had absolutely no problems with this tool since since Walnut Hollow sent it to me there have been a number of versions available since the original tool was released and depending on what one you get it seems like some of them do not get hot enough to cut thru the rubber cleanly - OR there maybe problems with user error as in not being patient with it, and allowing it to heat up until the blade is blue tinged and really hot! Some don't like the fumes it creates, some just don't have the hand strength to use it, some don't like that it is slower than cutting with the scissors...none of that has bothered me and I haven't cut myself yet either! :-)

The company's original intentions for the tool did not include cutting rubber :-) ... they suggest foam core, plastics, melting plastics to create air tight envelopes, etc....and if you get the package with the decorative tips you can "wood burn" designs on a variety of surfaces.

There are 2 versions of blade assembly as well - my original has a housing that you slip an X-acto blade into and tighten (this can be a real pain (painful) if it comes loose when it is hot but is definitely cheaper to replace the blades) The other version has the blade attached to the screw in housing - the blades are much more expensive to replace because you have to purchase the WH brand - but! they don't come loose in the middle of cutting around an image.

I have been really happy with the die cut appearance of my stamps compared to the straight cuts from scissors as well as the other things I have done with the hot marks, so it is a good tool for me, but not everyone has had the same good results for whatever reasons...so I am not going to suggest that you buy one just for cutting out stamps. Go to the store if you can, read the packaging and decide from there if it is something that you will use. Regardless of what version/heat temp you get, it should cut thru your EZ mount no problem!

Joann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

The first link says I don't have permission. When I clicked on the link from your other posting, it said it wasn't found.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I cut it on my glass cutting board (kitchen), and used a pulling motion, not sawing. I pulled toward me on a straighter stretch for more leverage. I never applied the pressure downward, just in the direction I was cutting. HTH
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I cut it on my glass cutting board (kitchen), and used a pulling motion, not sawing. I pulled toward me on a straighter stretch for more leverage. I never applied the pressure downward, just in the direction I was cutting. HTH
Yup, that's helpful.....now to actually get out an unmounted set and try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchickView Post
I've been checking out the Hot Knives...the ones that are used for cutting through EZ Mount. What I'm wondering is if you have found them useful for anything other than that? I'm being thrifty and would like to have more than one use for it if I get one!
Michael's has two versions of the hot knife, both by the same company. One comes with the base, one blade and a small stand for around $13.00. The other version comes with a storage case, the base, a stand, a blade plus many "branding" tips for $29.99. I almost bought the more expensive unit thinking I'd be able to use it for things, but then I realized I probably never would use them. (The bad thing is that I had already ordered my hot knife from Sunday International so I had to pay full price plus shipping. I could have bought the dang thing with a 40% or 50% off coupon at Michaels.) Oh well. To me, it is worth the savings of time and potential hand pain of cutting around my recently unmounted wood stamps - even if that is ALL I ever use it for. However I may have to try it cutting rubber too.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
Yup, that's helpful.....now to actually get out an unmounted set and try it!
Great - now don't have too much fun! I was looking for unmounted sets to do the first time I tried it...LOL