Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triart Markers.. Anyone have them, use them or know anything about them?

I noticed looking on the Carpe Diem site they also sell Triart markers.. they look very similar to Copics, are made in Japan & they are alcohol based too.

Just thought I would see if anyone knew anything about these markers.

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

btt Here's a link to the markers I am speaking of..

http://www.carpediemstore.com/mlistC...dCategory=1203
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

btt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Hoping someone posts a response as I used some Tria Art Pens and the refill Inks when I visited a stamp store in Washington. They were very cool and we made some fun projects with them. This was years ago and before I really started to notice any of the "alcohol based" inks. Maybe someone knows if these are the same or a completely different item. Good luck...I will also be watching for a response
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychkimView Post
Hoping someone posts a response as I used some Tria Art Pens and the refill Inks when I visited a stamp store in Washington. They were very cool and we made some fun projects with them. This was years ago and before I really started to notice any of the "alcohol based" inks. Maybe someone knows if these are the same or a completely different item. Good luck...I will also be watching for a response
Thanks! They look a lot like copics plus they are alcohol based as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

subscribing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't used the Triarts before, but I did see another thread here about these...

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile tri art markers

[QUOTE=jenjoy71;13856486]I noticed looking on the Carpe Diem site they also sell Triart markers.. they look very similar to Copics, are made in Japan & they are alcohol based too.

Just thought I would see if anyone knew anything about these marker

after numerous attempts to buy Copics on ebay I did a lot of research on the Triart markers and finally made up my mind to try them..
I am very pleased with the markers and think they aren every bit as good as the Copics. They have three nibs sizes in one pen and are refillable. The cost is half that of Copic but they only have 144 colors compared to Copics 300 +. The markers a comfortable to hold, easy to use and the alcohol ink is smooth and very manageable. The Prismacolor blending pens works very well with the triart markers. The colors are very compatable and it is easy to layer from light to dark and have the colors blend. I like them so much that I have ordered over a hundred of the markers and reinkers . I would recommend ordering a few to try in the various colors. I have also ordered empty copic markers and used ranger inks to fill them but have found i like the Triarts much mor. Highly recommend and Carpe
diem provides very good service.

Good luck,
Stampman

I`d rather be flyin or stampin
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=65296
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

do not confuse the Tria markers with the Triart markers. The research I found on the Tria markers complains about the quality control of the markers and the decline in their overall quality from their previous quality

Stampman

I`d rather be flyin or stampin
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=65296
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampmanView Post
do not confuse the Tria markers with the Triart markers. The research I found on the Tria markers complains about the quality control of the markers and the decline in their overall quality from their previous quality

Stampman
Yep, the "Tria" markers are crap -- I bought a few when I was taking interior design studio classes, because I couldn't find the particular colors I needed in my preferred brand (AD Chartpak), and I hated them! The broad tip felt like a cheap highlighter when I tried to use it.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtStamperView Post
I haven't used the Triarts before, but I did see another thread here about these...

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also Thanks Stampman for your input too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Are these refillable like the Copics?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Are these refillable like the Copics?
Yes they are.. the refills are like $5 and are 7 cc the copic refills are $7.50 and are 25 cc so the refills for copics are a better buy.. but the triart markers are cheaper to start off with..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Triart look interesting because they have three tips! I'm very curious as to how that works. They have a fine writing tip, a brush tip and a chisel tip. Am I seeing this correctly?

And they look like they have a huge color palette. I may buy one or two to play with them. (Sorry for the big picture but it's so much easier than linking everything to show people what you mean.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah they have I believe 144 colors. I am curious to know how they work as well. Thinking I will order 1 or 2 to see as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, looking at that picture, it looks like a cool concept. But... I would use the brush tip probably 90% of the time. So I'm thinking that because there are two different sections for the ink, would I run out of ink a lot faster and need to refill sooner? And would the ink in the fine tip section pretty much be a waste for me? I hope you guys will post back here when you try them and let us know...I am curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Do triart pens smell strong?

Do the triart pens smell like chartpak pens, strong chemical smell? And do they bleed like prisma color pens, or do they write like copic pen?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

how did u guys like them, the ones that bought some?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I like them well enough - BUT not well enough to order more than I already have. Bought all the skin tones and most of the earth tones. I guess I was intrigued because the price is so good compared to the Copic sketch markers (of which I have a huge collection). The brush tip seems 'stiffer' than that on the Copic, and the ink seems a little less 'fluid.' I find that it is not as easy to blend with them. I'm not crazy about the fine tip on these. Removing the caps on the 3 tips still seems a little awkward. They hold less ink than the Sketch markers.

Still - the colors are different and I WILL use them.

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was thinking on the earth tone colors as well, maybe try those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

It's been sometime since the last post on the subject of Copic Markers, TriArt and Prismacolor markers - oh yes, lets not forget the good old Sanford Sharpie.

Copic Markers are the only one of the 4 that are truly alcohol based. With this alone they are not in the same class of markers. As you all agree, the colors are rich, the marker itself is comfortable to hold, it holds more ink than most markers - but no one has mentioned that Copic markers are refillable. None of the others are - they are all disposable and therefore much more expensive.

TriArt Markers are a great concept - 3 different tips, comfortable to hold. The ink flow is not consistent and therefore professional graphic artists and illustrators do not use them. And no - they are not made by the same Japanese company that makes Copics.

Copics are made by .Too which is in Japan. They are marketed in North and South America by a company called Imagination International, located in Oregon. They own the license on those two continents. It is directly due to their foresight - their amazing marketing ability and their hard work that Copic Markers have burst through the professional graphics and illustrators market and now are THE marker of choice in the scrapbooking, stamping and ever growing manga artist industries.

PrismaColor markers - I loved them - had all the colors their shelf life rivals that of Copic which is about 3 years. The colors however are not as rich - not as consistent as those in the Copic collection.

Ah - the good old Sharpies. I love them and always will. They come in all different shapes and sizes now, the ever growing variety of colors, and yes - the familiar 'magic marker' smell. What ever happened to 'Magic Markers'? Bic has come out with a line of markers the same shape as Sharpies and are available in two different point sizes.

But like I said before Copic markers are alcohol based inks. None of the other previously mentioned brands are. And - to me the hugest difference is that PrismaColor, Triart, Sharpie - are all opaque inks. You can't see through them. They will cover anything that is underneath them. Copic Markers are transparent - which has a lot to do with their amazing ease of blending.

I am familiar with CarpeDiem. They are located in Ca., so I'm not one of the lucky ones that get to walk around and see all those wonderful 'have to have' art items. If I shop with them it is on line. Their prices for Copic Markers are some of the cheapest on line - so you think - until you see the shipping charges which just wipe out any savings at all. I do buy art boards and a few other items from them.
The other thing is that their communication is almost non existent. They do not provide a phone number until you have placed an order with them. I have written to their provided email address numerous times and have received only 1 response for about 5 different emails. And that response came a full week afterwards. Much too much time for me to wait to find out the information I needed so I had to purchase the items in question elsewhere.

I have been very lucky with my last 5 or 6 order of Copic Markers. I have purchased them from a woman who sells directly, as well as on eTsy and eBay. They are not only the least expensive any where - yes even cheaper than the CarpeDiem prices because she offers 1 free marker for every 5 markers you purchase. Her shipping charges are more than reasonable. You can reach her at [email protected] or as September_Playground on eTsy and eBay. She provides all types of free information and every order I have received from her has come with a free tutorial or ... She responds almost immediately to emails and what she doesn't know - she finds out and then gets the information back to you.

And that is how it is...in the world of markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Great info Beth, thanks much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Beth, welcome to SCS! I am confused, though...I thought the TriArts were refillable? Seems to me I've seen them sold with refills, anyway...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Check it out:

http://www.scrap-mart.com/triartmarkers.aspx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

You're absolutely correct. I am wrong. I think I had that impression because the couple places I viewed these markers the were either out of the refills or didn't carry them. They weren't displayed with the markers. I hate people that come off as know-it-alls so please forgive me. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TriArt Markers are a great concept - 3 different tips, comfortable to hold. The ink flow is not consistent and therefore professional graphic artists and illustrators do not use them. And no - they are not made by the same Japanese company that makes Copics.

BethFeldman -
I am a big Triart Marker user.
I have NEVER had an issue with inconsistent ink flow as you stated above. Neither have other SCSers I know that are Triart users. I also know 2 artists that use Triarts and never had problems either.
Also these are all refillable.
The refills are like $2.89 and so are the markers at CarpeDiem and they carry every color.
YOu also get FREE shipping if you order $25 in Triart products.

I have copics and Triarts and they can be used together and they are just as good as the copic. I love the colors and they blend easily.

You also replace the nibs just like on the copics.

As for carpediemstore I have ALWAYS had awesome customer service. My orders all ship right away and i get tracking numbers right away. My orders have a ll been perfect so far.
http://www.carpediemstore.com/mlistC...dCategory=1188

Last edited by meluvstampin; 05-02-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

I told you I was Wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethFeldmanView Post
I told you I was Wrong.
its all good.
I just didn't want potential new users getting the wrong idea that they are bad.
Triarts are a perfect alternative for those who do not or cannot invest in Copics.

Now TRIA markers have a lot of complaints about the tips and inconsistent ink flow. They use a replaceable cartridge.
But these are totally different markers than the TRIARTs.
Is this what you were thinking of?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Tria markers are refillable. I haven't had issues with them not being consistent in ink flow and you don't need lots of colours because one can make many shades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

There seems to be a lot of misinformation in BF's post. Copics are not the only alcohol ink markers. Prismas are alcohol inks and they do have very vibrant colors and are transparent.
My favorite markers are ShinHan Art Touch Twin and I have some Promarkers by Letraset, same makers as Tria (Not Triart). Tria and Promarkers use the same ink,per Carpe Diem's website, which are alcohol inks, transparent and blendable.

I have come across people who use Copics who just refuse to acknowledge that there are other markers out there which are as good or even better than Copics and are mean and pushy about it. I'm not totally sure why they behave like this.
Some Copic colors have a known "speckling" issue in some of their colors which bring out the substrait of the papers to an undesirable extent (due to dye densities and the drying agents - I got this info from a super talented Copic artist who works for Copic) and I find that very frustrating because it is inconsistent and very noticeable when right next to colors which do not do this, especially on large art pieces.
On another forum, a guy got totally attacked and was accused of being anti-Japanese because he said he didn't like Copics because of this speckling issue.

I also don't under stand why copics are continually pushed when someone says they do not want copics due to the price. Why not just respect that someone doesn't want to pay $4+ per marker, especially where there are some super alternatives out there? If they want to pay crazy prices for their Copics which are not perfect, then go for it and love your markers, but price doesn't always make better art.

Ooo, there is my rant for the day, sorry! . (btw, I am not anti-copic. They have so many yummy colors. I own some but half of them have the speckling issue and I just cant commit to buy more with the hit and miss ink consistantency, especially when there are other markers at half the price which don't have this issue to such a noticeable extent and work just as good-or even better)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the thread to post this:
I came across a sale in my local stationery store that was clearing out some of the bottles of Tria ink and I bought quite a few bottles. I have found that the inks are basically alcohol based ones that I can use with a felt applicator for alcohol inks like the ones by Ranger. I have bought some ink that is meant to refill Copics and use them like I would alcohol inks. I don't have any alcohol-based markers yet though I plan to purchase a few to play with in the future. Meanwhile, I am using the ink refills by either by dabbing with a felt applicator or a brush dipped in alcohol so that I can 'paint' on acetate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have lots of triarts and a couple of copics and neopikos love htem all.
Neopikos did dry out really quick on some, but I wouldn't trade the triarts at all, very good markers if you are considering them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a few (3) of the Triart markers. All is good with them except I don't like the feel of the brush nib. Just my personal opinion. They seem like nice markers though.

I think it's like people's paper choices. Try out a few and see which feel the best to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Initially there were issues with the first batch of Tria markers but now thats been resolved and these pens are now back on the market in a range of 300 colours. They are refillable too. Carpe Diem stores should now have them and are being distributed in the US more fluidly
Reply With Quote Likes