Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I use a dryer sheet with any dies in which the die cut sticks. I can run the empty die through my machine in place of paper which seems to give it a waxy coating. The subsequent die cuts come out much easier. Or I can run the die through with a stuck die cut in it and it will stick to the dryer sheet. It's a bit hard to remove the most intricate does from the dryer sheet but it works. And the sheet can be used over and over if you use two together and fold them in half. It cuts through in places but stays together for some reason.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you want the nail dotters

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
Darn. Saw that nail dotting tool and got all excited and went to buy it. They don't ship to Hawaii. :( I was going to get some for myself and DD, who would actually use them to do her nails. I'm sure I can find them somewhere else now that I know about them.
I will order them and ship them to you. Just pm your shipping info. I just ordered one for me. It may take a couple weeks to get here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm an equal opportunity kinda gal ... fussy cutting, punching, die cutting. Agreeing with a lot that's been said, and agreeing that with the littler dies, especially when you need a bunch of whatever-it-is, the die cutting process is a bit of a pain.

Wouldn't it be grand if someone designed a tool that could take any one of those little dies and convert it into a punch-of-sorts?!?! Can't you see a Crop-a-dile type tool with a super-duper magnetic plate to hold the die? I could get excited about something like that. (and if anyone who hasn't already thought of this wants to take the idea and run with it, you have my blessing! )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I will order them and ship them to you. Just pm your shipping info. I just ordered one for me. It may take a couple weeks to get here.
Thanks, Amber, you're a sweetheart. But I found some to order that does deliver to Hawaii.

P.S.: I'm glad you posted, because it reminded me I need to order more card jackets for Mom and I. lol

Last edited by grateful2bsaved; 08-05-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #45  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know what a large part of the issue is for me-my Big Shot doesn't have a dedicated space where it is convenient to use. I usually sit on the FLOOR with it or use my ironing board! But I'm happy that I can get down and up from the floor easily.
The new SU holiday mini appears to have tons of super cute stamps AND matching dies, so I have to figure out a better system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
I know what a large part of the issue is for me-my Big Shot doesn't have a dedicated space where it is convenient to use. I usually sit on the FLOOR with it or use my ironing board! But I'm happy that I can get down and up from the floor easily.
The new SU holiday mini appears to have tons of super cute stamps AND matching dies, so I have to figure out a better system.
Absolutely! Having a smooth and convenient process has such an affect on what I do or make and how often I do it.That's mainly why I chose a Cuttlebug. Because the footprint is so small when shut - less than 4.5" x 10.5" - it mostly sits on the corner of my computer desk, with dies/mats/etc. to my right in an Expedit cubby. And the C-bug can fit into the cubby.

So I die cut even when I don't need to, just for fun when on the computer, which also builds up a little stash I keep behind the dies in their pockets.

I had a Cutterpillar trimmer for almost two years (!) before using it because it was in its box on a shelf. Yes, I can be lazy as all get out, but it's not entirely that. I hope.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

I finally made a spot for the Big Shot at the end of my craft room desk on a bookshelf. Problem is, the darned thing is not as light as the Cuttlebug, so it's a strain hoisting it over to the desk surface, but it's better than going across the room and carrying it back! There is a chance I may be able to relocate it ON the desk, withing sliding distance, depending on what I do next (6 cube unit, or just a sturdy shelf that BS & CB would sit under). Decisions, decisions!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #48  
Glitter Queen

Default 20+ years stamping

I have been stamping over 20yrs now, when there were no home die cut machines. I worked at a stamp store that had the old Ellison ones, way bigger than the ones today, and you could pay to use it while there. It used really big bulky dies, unlike the wafers or thin-lits that we have today.
So with that background, I just think some of these dies have gone too far, but are giving people what they want. People can no longer cut anything out, like I always did and had too. Everyone wants a die to go with their stamp. I refuse to buy every bundle available. I will agree that some things can't be achieved by fussy cutting, and you really do want a die, but otherwise, if it is something I can save a few bucks on and cut myself, I will, just so I have the money to buy the more important things, like more stamps!!! Just my opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #49  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

I miss the old whale tail punches too, they were much easier to handle! I've kept all the retired ones even those replaced with the newer style. The new ones store better I will admit.
I have the magnetic platform but those tiny dies still need a bit of holding down-I use a scrap of a post it.
What a great idea! Drives me crazy the way they jump around on the magnetic platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Similarly, I use a tiny piece of washi, and if making multiple die cuts, am always surprised that it can be used multiple times. Washi is weirdly neat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 06:23 AM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

It seems-at least with Stampin Up-that there are more flat style dies instead of punches these days. I find it a lot easier to use a punch than drag out dies, platforms, and cutting plates, then try to line the die up straight on the stamped image.
I just did SU's new Shooting Star and matching dies and it felt as if it took half the afternoon. Guess I simply need practice?
I find that some manufacturers dies rarely match the stamped image in the way I would like � I've tried all of the tips suggested here and they simply do not line up with a white border of even width. So I rarely use those :-)

For thinlits, I'm now following the advice of Amy with Prairie Paper and Ink: keep connected dies together, tape the connected dies onto card stock, place stamps face down within their die shapes, and stamp all of the images at once (a Misti works great for this). Then run paper + dies through in one piece on your die-cutting machine. Perfect alignment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For stamp & die alignment, I do it like Barbara does (at 1:15 in the video)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
That's what I do. And just one tiny piece of washi usually does the trick, even though I mostly die cut with the cutting side facing up with the cardstock on top of it (to save the more expensive Cuttlebug C plate).

The same little piece can be used over and over, if I'm die cutting a bunch, quick and easy once you get into the rhythm.
I cut with the die down, on top of the cardstock that is on top of the cheaper B plate. The C plate tops it all off. Thought that was the way everyone did it as you can see what you are doing, the B plate gets cut into (I have 2 pristine B plates for dry embossing) and the C plate stays uncut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Forgot to answer the original poster. I really love to fussy cut. That being said, I have basic dies for shapes very difficult to cut out---circles, ovals, some decorative labels. I don't want dies for all my stamps as I can cut out most on those rare occasions that I cut out a stamped image. I do have a few basic punches, but they are old and don't cut well except for the few "modern" ones I have. Problem is storage and difficulty to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #55  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I cut with the die down, on top of the cardstock that is on top of the cheaper B plate. The C plate tops it all off. Thought that was the way everyone did it as you can see what you are doing, the B plate gets cut into (I have 2 pristine B plates for dry embossing) and the C plate stays uncut.
I was surprised how many people I've seen place the C plate so it gets cut into, some underneath the die and some above it. Then again, I might not have thought about it myself if someone here hadn't posted about it.

I like having the C plate lower, basically never moved, which makes it easier for me to use a flexible metal plate or pad on top if needed. Not right or wrong, just habit.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I hear you, Cindy - and for some things I prefer punches. I'm loving a retired Stampin' Up word window punch since I can make punch any size in a minute.

But I do love my Cuttlebug, and it often sits on the corner of my computer desk, ready to go. As Lydia pointed out, the magic word for centering is tape. Post-it tape, washi tape, other low-tack tape. Not pretty patterned duct tape that masquerades as washi. Ask me how I know.

And for removing die cuts that want to cling to the die for dear life, I put a piece of grocery store plastic bag or die cutting paper between the cardstock and the die. Some use wax paper but I've read - but have no idea if it's true - that it's not great for the dies.
I use wax paper on all my intricate dies of which I have more than a few. It works fantastic! It helps in keeping the cutting edges sharp as well as lubricating the die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #57  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

Due to reading through this thread, I found a site that sells the glue tip I have been looking for all summer! It has nothing to do with die cutting, however, I wanted to say thank you to whomever posted the link to TupeloDesignsLLC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAfricanQueenView Post
I use wax paper on all my intricate dies of which I have more than a few. It works fantastic! It helps in keeping the cutting edges sharp as well as lubricating the die.
Oh good, I'm glad it doesn't hurt your dies. Wax paper doesn't sharpen, but when it works, that's what counts.

I read a blog and saw a youtube video that suggests to rub wax paper on the die - and it still serves as a release. That sounded worth a try too.
Reply With Quote Likes