Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tim Holtz Distress Crayons - thoughts?

I saw these in several videos and thought they looked really fun, so I purchased. Now I regret it. I'm really not sure what to do with them. Does anyone have these? What do you use them for or how?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I, too, have a set of the TH distress crayons and don’t know what to do with them!  Fortunately the set was a freebie offered by Scrapbook.com during some promotion. 
 I’ve done some scribbling with the crayons on WC paper and swished with a wet brush, but my results were less than impressive. The set of colors that I received has kind of strange colors that are not in my wheelhouse, and that definitely has muted my interest in using them.  
These have been in my give-away box two times.  After retrieving them, I test them out and then set them aside, uninspired. 
The videos I’ve watched online with TH using the crayons don’t show much beyond scribbling and wetting.  No knock your socks off samples of finished projects or incredible backgrounds.

Maybe someone will pop in and convince us that these distress crayons are worth keeping as a tool in our craft box. I am seriously tempted to return the set to my give-away box for the third and final time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 10:54 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I only have one distress crayon, that was given to me by someone as part of a grab bag giveaway, but have seen several videos that show the crayons being used to color stamped images. In some of the, the crafter just rubbed the scribbled crayon to give a loose application of color that didn't stay within the lines. Another one used water and a brush to give a water color effect. I think they would be great for backgrounds, as well as for coloring stamped images.

They seem to be similar to Gelatos in texture and use. I've thought about buying some in the past, but just never got around to it. I also have a few Gelatos, so it looks like I should pull them out and see how inspired I get before buying more Distress crayons.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Distress Crayons

I've had them since each set came out. I've always thought "what a waste" and figured I'd give them away. Luckily I did not. I happened to watch Tim Holtz using the crayons and oh my, what fun! I really suggest you go to the Ranger site (www.rangerink.com) or to Tim Holtz's blog (www.timholtz.com) and search "distress crayons". I'm sure there will be lots of blog posts. And you'll probably see several on You Tube! Good luck -- they're only a waste if you don't try them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 04:04 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His videos are why I bought them. Lol. He makes so many things seem fun and easy that I want them. Then I’m stumped what I’d personally use them for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella CartaView Post
I've had them since each set came out. I've always thought "what a waste" and figured I'd give them away. Luckily I did not. I happened to watch Tim Holtz using the crayons and oh my, what fun! I really suggest you go to the Ranger site (www.rangerink.com) or to Tim Holtz's blog (www.timholtz.com) and search "distress crayons". I'm sure there will be lots of blog posts. And you'll probably see several on You Tube! Good luck -- they're only a waste if you don't try them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I too have a set of TH's crayons which I seldom use and would not buy again. 
Personally I prefer watercolor oil pastels and gelatos. 
Like gelatos and watercolor oil pastels I found TH crayons spread and blend better on gesso surfaces. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Although I adore Gelatos (though haven’t used them for quite a while, ugh!), I gave away a set of TH crayons. Then I got a free set with an order (like a boomerang, right?), and do like the pastel colors so I should give them a try.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I did not care for them at all 

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I was the fortunate recipient of the set bjeans gave away (thanks again!). I dabbled a bit with them, but haven't done anything of note yet. This thread is a good nudge to play - thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,125 Likes on 507 Posts

I wanted to like them, but they just made me mad... I made a really cool background but wasn't able to work over it because it kept lifting. I did keep a couple of neutral colors to edge canvases.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I wanted to like them, but they just made me mad... I made a really cool background but wasn't able to work over it because it kept lifting. I did keep a couple of neutral colors to edge canvases.

Wow, good to know.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes