Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question For Those of You Who Store Paper in Hanging Folders...

I was wondering... do you use more than 2 drawers of a filing cabinet? Do you use 4? More than 4?

I am setting up a new crafting space and rethinking my paper organization. In the past I have simply stacked it on top of one another in the past, makes it kind of tedious to dig for a sheet of a certain color this way, especially if it is on the bottom, LOL). I have about one packet of paper in each of the 48 colors, white, black, some PTI Perfect Match Cardstock and a few sheets of the in-colors. However, before I purchase a short 2 drawer filing cabinet, I was wondering if it is going to be big enough (hard to judge since all my paper is still packed up in boxes). If I get a 4 drawer unit, I can't use the top one without a step stool (I'm short). I really am not in love with those plastic organizers that SU sells where the paper is stored side by side vertically; I have heard it can bend if the container isn't full, having to find extra things to stuff in them to keep the papers straight... looks pretty, just not my cup of tea.

Thanks in advance for all the advice! Have a great day!

CMC
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use a 2-drawer file cabinet. It is pretty full, but that helps the paper stay straight (it can bend in the file folders just like what you were talking about).

I'm a demo and have a lot of paper since I do a fair amount of business. I've occasionally wished for a third drawer, but I would not want two more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have a four drawer file cabinet. One drawer has neutrals, vellum, kraft, etc. The other three have colors. I have a side loading page protector in each file folder for scraps. The drawers aren't packed really tight but they are full enough that the paper doesn't bend. I would go ahead and get a four drawer and if you only need three drawers now, use the top drawer for storing items you don't need often.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I have two, two drawer filing cabinets, right now I have them stack on top of each other. I use the bottom two for all my cardstock and the top two for sewing stuff and for our personal files. When I order the new in colors I will have to migrate up to one of the top two drawers to hold those cardstocks. I find it so much easier to use than stacking them in a pile, I have them organized into color families and I can put bigger pieces of scrap pieces in the folder so when I just need a smaller piece I can grab that one first. I also read on here that someone stores there tiny scraps of paper in a ziploc bag and puts that in the folder as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a two drawer and it's plenty for me. I have two color families in each, and then I split between them neutrals, in colors, acetate, vellum, things like that. One thing that saves a bit of space for me is that I generally do 2 colors per hanging file--I really don't have enough YoYo Yellow on hand at one time to warrant its own file, kwim? The neutrals each have their own file, since they come in larger packs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I do exactly what Joy does without keeping the scraps. A drawer for neutrals, etc. is key for me. I keep my transparencies, glossy, chipboard etc in there too. Last time I checked my Excel spreadsheet, I had 90 colors of Bazzill(two drawers), all SU! colors (one drawer) and a drawer for my neutrals etc. I found the cabinet at a thrift store for $15.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I store mine in rolling elfa carts from the Container Store, and use the equivalent of two drawers for paper (one drawer for four color families and the other drawer for white, vanilla, other SU specialty papers, and retired paper. Unless I'm doing a workshop, I usually buy paper in combo packs, so there are only a handful of colors that I have a full package of. I store scraps by color, in the front of the full sheets. I like having the wheels because I can roll my paper over to the table where I'm stamping and have easy access to it. One other thought...I bought a set of tabs from someone on e*ay and I can see at a glance which color is in which hanging folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I just moved all of my in colors and miscellaneous non SU papers to a third drawer. I have 3 of the color family in one drawer and the other color family and neutrals in the other. I have plenty of room now. It was real tight when I had them in two drawers. I have a four drawer and I use the other drawer for storing projects/bulky supplies. I would get a four drawer if you have the room just for the extra space.

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I have a two drawer filing cabinet. I have all 48 SU colors, lots of neutral colors and all the PTI colors. My drawers are full, but there is still room for more paper in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #10  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I too am short so I prefer lateral file cabinets. Plus the top of the cabinet can be used too (either for paper trimmers or 12x12 vertical paper storage). My supply fits in one drawer so I use the other one for inspration sheets, envelopes, some 3-D items, etc.)

Of course, it takes up more floor space so it might not work for everyone's space.

Good luck and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I have a 2 drawer cabinet, but the drawers are wide so that I have 2 rows in each drawer. The drawers are only 16" deep though. And I use one full drawer, both sides, and one side of the other drawer to hold all 48 SU colors, plus 6 current in-colors and 6 previous in-colors and approximately 8 neutrals. They are somewhat tightly squeezed in there because when I spread them out to fill the whole cabinet, I also got the bending of the CS. Sometimes it's a pain to push all the folders in one direction just to reach some in the way back of the drawer, but that's better than having to try to straighten the bowed CS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I use one of these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ing-File-Cart/

and keep it covered with a patterned cloth (Waverly) throw. I can store all SU! colors and about 25 Prism colors in it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

I have a 2 drawer filing cabinet. The top drawer has all the neutrals, Bold Brights and Earth Elements. The bottom drawer has Rich Regals, Soft Subtles and a some retired colors.
I store them in folders and put two folders in each hanging file. I also keep all my scraps in the front of the folder.

I used to have an old metal filing cabinet and the drawers came out all the way. When I bought the filing cabinet for my paper, after putting it together, I realized that the last 5 inches of the drawers don't come out. This makes it very hard to reach the paper in the back. I wished that I had returned it and bought a different one.
My husband bought a metal filing cabinet and the drawers work the same way. I don't know if this is something that only happens with filing cabinets from Target (both are from there), or if it is a new safety feature in all cabinets no matter where you buy them.

I used to store my paper in hanging folders in one of those plastic baskets designed for this purpose, but my paper was fading on the top (the sun never hit it).

Hope all this info. helps...

Last edited by guatelicia; 08-25-2008 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: add some more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2 drawer file cabinet but outgrew it. I try to keep 2pkgs of the card stock...and if you add the neutrals, incolor items, etc...it fits fairly tight. When I first started I could fit 2 color families in a drawer.

Now I use 5 or 6 and have some room to expand. I have business supplies in a drawer, Success magazines, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have an awesome lateral file with 2 drawers for my 4 color families of SU paper...I have at least two full packages of each color plus one open...I am always afraid to run out. I have another 2 drawer file cabinet for my Papertry colors..same thing...2 packages plus one open of each color. I have stacks that are from floor to ceiling (this is not an exaggeration) my hubby built me a shelf for. This is where all the stacks are and assorted papers, Bazzill cardstock. I also have a some of the nice white cubes from Michaels (16?) with the three drawers in them and have the drawers labeled for my DS papers from both SU, Papertrey and several drawers for Basic Grey..Yikes..I think I need to order more paper.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

i have a 2 drawer (24inches deep) file cabinet and need another one. Luckily i have room for a second one, but i have to budget it into my spending sometime.
I recommend the 4 drawer cabinet cause having room to expand is always better that running out of space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a four drawer cabinet, but am currently only using one drawer for solid c/s (but it's pretty full) but storing lots of other stuff in the other three drawers while waiting to fill another one...like, one drawer has all my envelopes in it, one has extra supplies. I find it works pretty well, and i put large scraps in with the full sheets in the front. It keeps things well organized.

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use two deep (and sort of expensive) two-drawer filing cabinets for my SU paper. I will admit I always have at least two packages of each color on hand and also have kept all the in colors. I have a separate folder at the front of each color for scraps of that color. My drawers are getting full. Another year or two of in colors and I'm in trouble!

I keep miscellaneous and 12" paper in two rolling carts my husband made for me that are under a work table...but my two SU file cabinets have a custom top made by my husband that is my work area.

Margaret
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 434 Likes on 166 Posts

I hang my folders in two of those plastic crates that remind me of the kind milk cartons are in at school. I just have them on the floor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I always say too much storage is better than not enough. Could you use the top drawer for some things you don't use very often? Say seasonal stamp sets or designer paper that you only use once a year like Christmas or Easter? If all your paper fits into the bottom 2 shelves you could always use the third for punches or such. But don't all file cabinets have that adjustable thing that will hold your files tight even if you only have a few? You could put the basic 48 in 2 drawers and neutrals and specialty papers in the third. Then you could expand later on if you need.

Or could you find a 2-drawer unit that would be stackable if you found you ran out of space?
Reply With Quote Likes