Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink for those with a sense of humor only...

Okay, so when we didn't have children yet, my DH and I both noticed how everyone (with kids) was so excited when someone else was having kids. It was like a secret club, only it wasn't a secret, because it always seemed like they (with kids) were trying to recruit everyone else (without kids)...
So, my point: does it feel like a Secret Copic Club to anyone else around here?
I love my copic markers, yes, but it seems (to me) like no one can ask a question about coloring of any kind without getting "the spiel".
This does not anger me, nor do I mean to anger anyone else, it is just apparent to me what this month's Tool of the Month is... Does anyone remember any others from days gone by? Did they stick around and remain popular?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

ITA - personally, I don't care for Copics. Discussed ad finitum with owner of LSS> We both decided I do not have the needed patience.

LOL on both accounts. And saving my money for way better things.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there will always be "the latest and greatest" club, whether it's craft items, clothes, purses, shoes, you name it.

I am just not a "name brand" person myself, and have never been very much influenced by what "everyone" buys.

If something sounds interesting, I will certainly check it out, but make my own decision based on lots of factors other than just the fact that everyone else is buying it.

Especially with stamping/crafting items, I really do my research. I generally find that I can get the same effect by purchasing something more cost effective (for me). I enjoy making cards very much, but really can't justify spending the large amounts of money that some people spend on this hobby.

I'm not criticizing people who like to purchase popular items - just saying that popularity is way down the list for me on why I buy something.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

One of the trends that I remember (don't know if it was discussed ad nauseum around here because I wasn't on this board then) was that every card had a background stamp used on it. Sometimes more than one! And of course they all had that little speckled one from itty bitty backgrounds on top of the main image (usually in a metallic). That was my most used stamp for sooooo long, it is still permanently stained with gold encore ink! Now BG stamps seem to have fallen into disfavor with the advent of dsp and embossing folders. I admit to using mine less and less (with the exception of Print Pattern, still love that one ).

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I think there will always be "the latest and greatest" club, whether it's craft items, clothes, purses, shoes, you name it.

I am just not a "name brand" person myself, and have never been very much influenced by what "everyone" buys.

If something sounds interesting, I will certainly check it out, but make my own decision based on lots of factors other than just the fact that everyone else is buying it.

Especially with stamping/crafting items, I really do my research. I generally find that I can get the same effect by purchasing something more cost effective (for me). I enjoy making cards very much, but really can't justify spending the large amounts of money that some people spend on this hobby.

I'm not criticizing people who like to purchase popular items - just saying that popularity is way down the list for me on why I buy something.
Are we twins or something? You took the words right out of my mouth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

he he the "secret club" because all of us with kids didn't want to be in the "crazy club" alone!!
I dont have any copics I did go on a quest for them, but decided my SU markers are perfect for me.I felt like the last paper crafter on earth with out nesties...and did order them and yep I DO love them...
Remember that "magic mesh" stuff seems kind of ugly now with all the wonderful creations we see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL for fear of being flamed on here -

I kinda glaze over like that when SU is mentioned. The difference is most people don't start with copics, they color with other products first however people that start with SU can be very "selective" about who they listen to on this board. Had someone tell me in the Current Events section that I wasn't allowed on this forum because I didn't buy SU products... that probably hasn't helped :lol:

*scarpers before someone throws something that could hurt*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post

I kinda glaze over like that when SU is mentioned. The difference is most people don't start with copics, they color with other products first however people that start with SU can be very "selective" about who they listen to on this board. Had someone tell me in the Current Events section that I wasn't allowed on this forum because I didn't buy SU products... that probably hasn't helped :lol:

You are kidding me! That is so uncalled for. I admit, I was a SU snob in that I wouldn't use any other products. I gave up my demoship last April. It is so freeing to be able to use what I want. I heart my copics! Hee hee This site was created for SU demo's so that is probably why you notice so many here. It is nice for us all to play in the same sandbox. We all need to be nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

very well stated. I feel the same way as well. That's not to say that I don't have some name brand items but, I have been known to sit on them for months before deciding to purchase or not. In addition, I am a shopper and like to find the best deal. But, I don't have any qualms about using a $1.00 rubber stamp or ribbon from the Dollar Tree. To me, it looks the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I don't have kids or copics - does that mean I'm clubless?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Hmm. I didn't realize there was a Copics Only Club. I do like them and own several, but I wouldn't say I have to have the latest and greatest of everything. Nor did I buy them because they are trendy. I have always loved to color and even when I only colored with crayons, they always had to be Crayola. They just color better than the cheap ones. I was so tired of SU markers because they leave streaks or worse, some of them started to pill my card stock. I was happy with the results of Copic markers. So I use them. Now that I admit I use Copic markers I hope the Copic Club President doesn't come after me for dues.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
Hmm. I didn't realize there was a Copics Only Club. I do like them and own several, but I wouldn't say I have to have the latest and greatest of everything. Nor did I buy them because they are trendy. I have always loved to color and even when I only colored with crayons, they always had to be Crayola. They just color better than the cheap ones. I was so tired of SU markers because they leave streaks or worse, some of them started to pill my card stock. I was happy with the results of Copic markers. So I use them. Now that I admit I use Copic markers I hope the Copic Club President doesn't come after me for dues.
Well I'm telling him that I paid up front! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesarappView Post
You are kidding me! That is so uncalled for. I admit, I was a SU snob in that I wouldn't use any other products. I gave up my demoship last April. It is so freeing to be able to use what I want. I heart my copics! Hee hee This site was created for SU demo's so that is probably why you notice so many here. It is nice for us all to play in the same sandbox. We all need to be nice!
LOL the funny thing is I didn't even have to tell her - the others in CE jumped right on it! :mrgreen: that might have been about the most unifying moment I have ever witnessed down there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

That is just ridiculous. Even when I was a hobby demo, I used other brands. That person needs to apologize for being so disrepectful. You go ahead and contribute all you want. I don't really purchase too much SU anymore and I plan on staying here.;)

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post
Hey me too!!! We can start our own club! ;)
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I've recently fallen in love with Copics and they are addicting. I post in the Copic Chatter thread often but because I'm learning and sharing. I don't feel I'm in any Copic Only Club. I actually didn't even think they were new. I've always wondered how some people have colored their images such that they look so professional and I happened to come across the copic discussions and realized how it was being done. Like Javagirl, I often got frustrated coloring with SU makers because of the pilling and streaking when others looked so smooth and professional so I'm excited about them. I colored a lot when I was a kid too. There are things I prefer, I'm sure like anyone else, in a particular brand that at times costs more. But what have I bought to color with my copics, cleardollarstamps.com. Unity stamps, inkadinkado, etc. I used to think there was only SU but I'm branching out, saving money there, and I guess spending on copics. I've less than a hundred and feel good with my selection so I think I'm good. I'm sure I'll want more but slowly. I hope there is no president looking for dues because I'm not paying unless I get a free marker or more depending on the price of the dues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
One of the trends that I remember ... was that every card had a background stamp used on it. Sometimes more than one! And of course they all had that little speckled one from itty bitty backgrounds on top of the main image ... Pamela
Oh my! I almost thought I needed every BGround stamp that came out! Sure glad that's moved along!

(P.S.) Still hanging onto Itty Bitty Backgrounds ... just because! :0
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Another Member to Club Clueless!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane7View Post
Diane
Can I join the club too? It can be the "Clueless, Childless, Copicless Club!" With a name like 4C, we could give 4H a run for their money!

(Okay, it's late . . . I'm a bit slap happy!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Must have copics!:-D

I actually started out using DH's prismacolor markers, they are very similar and a lot less. But I am starting to collect copics now. I only have about 10 or so, I keep reading all these color recommendations and can't make up my mind. I can only get a few at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scamper64View Post
Can I join the club too? It can be the "Clueless, Childless, Copicless Club!" With a name like 4C, we could give 4H a run for their money!

(Okay, it's late . . . I'm a bit slap happy!)

Its a mouthful, but I can't think of anything better!!!!!:mrgreen:
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I remember the day when background stamps were the rage - couldn't get enough of them. I can't tell you the last time I used one!
When people first started coloring with Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol, that was all you ever read about. Now there are other options that have taken the spotlight.
Right now, scallops are very popular, and will probably fall by the wayside, too.
Another coloring medium will become popular, and Copics will start gathering dust.
I think it is just like fashion--hang on to it long enough, and it will be back 'in style'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

While I can admire from a distance all the beautiful coloring in the galleries and on certain blogs, I have absolutely NO desire to color on any of my items, so avoiding the Copic craze hasn't been difficult. I just skip over those threads, and realize that the people who love to color and do it so beautifully are gifted in different ways than I am.

I usually end up being a collector of supplies, so if I ever started buying Copics, I'd probably end up with them all. My Prismacolor pencils and SU markers meet my needs very well, at a fraction of the cost. The money not spent on Copics allows buying of other supplies that I actually have a chance of eventually using!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsis

I kinda glaze over like that when SU is mentioned. The difference is most people don't start with copics, they color with other products first however people that start with SU can be very "selective" about who they listen to on this board. Had someone tell me in the Current Events section that I wasn't allowed on this forum because I didn't buy SU products... that probably hasn't helped

Wow, some people! I can't believe that a SU demo told you that!!! Yeesh, I think that goes against the entire SU motto.

I'm a current SU demo and I buy CTMH, PTI, Unity, Bellas, just about anything that catches my fancy. I'm no SU snob.

I also have tons of Copics because they make me feel artistic (when I'm truly not). I get good results with them and I haven't with anything else. End of story as to why I use them. ;)

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

What are copics??

I'm only sort of kidding...never seen them, never seen what you can do with them, not even sure where to get them. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

LOL ladies. I admit I fell onto the bandwagon after many months of insisting I did not need the expensive markers. But when I borrowed some to color an image and compared it to another I colored with different markers...sadly I was swayed. Goodbye paycheck! In all reality, I make sure to only buy when there's a sale at Hobby Lobby or Oozak.com, and I am trying to only buy the lightest and the darkest of the tones I like. I use other markers for the middle color, which works out perfectly for me and saves me a ton of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

too funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #27  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicholeCView Post
What are copics??

I'm only sort of kidding...never seen them, never seen what you can do with them, not even sure where to get them. :confused:
They are alcohol based markers (as are prismacolor markers) so they have different characteristics than pigment/dye or water based markers. The best place for info on Copics is Marainne Walker's blog (she works for copic).

I won't go on and on about them because I don't want to be lumped into the 'secret copic club' (although I probably should belong there). ;)

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

And I missed it! :rolleyes: Dang! What thread was that???

So I guess we could assume that it wasn't a very helpful sales tactic?

I like Copics. I just can't afford 'em. I bought a set and then sold them when I realized that 72 markers just wasn't enough. I figure I just don't need to start on them and it'll be easier to curb my spending, lol. The only other time I've been able to do that was when lattes first started getting so popular about 20 years ago. I just knew I did not want to start down that expensive (money AND calorie wise) path...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Exactly! I still use my SU markers sometimes, too - for coloring on stamps (yes, I know I can use Copics for that) especially.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

LOL the funny thing is I didn't even have to tell her - the others in CE jumped right on it! :mrgreen: that might have been about the most unifying moment I have ever witnessed down there!
The waters of CE can be difficult to navigate ~ and the frequent visitors I believe pride themselves on it LOL!! You don't visit CE without being prepared for a debate !! It's a "no holds barred" kinda place.

The OP and someone else mentioned that Copics are probably just a trend that will pass. I'm seriously doubting that. They've been around a long time, used by professional artists, and I don't think they fall into the "fad" category, like embellishments, etc., might.

If we are "trending" towards high quality products that perform as promised and with good result - then that's a trend I'll follow!

Lori (OP), I don't think I understood what you meant by getting the "spiel." I certainly don't try to "convert" anyone to Copics, it's not like I sell them or anything - everyone simply chooses what works best for them. It's a tool just like any other cardmakers/scrapbookers use. When you ask about Copics, do people try to give you a hard sell or something? Funny - cuz you have 'em and you already know you like 'em, right?!

Most of the threads I've seen started about Copics are from people asking about them, what you like/don't like about them, how to use them, etc. I don't see them brought up repeatedly in unrelated threads like propaganda.

Anyway. . . if the question really is "Are Copics just a fad?" I'd have to say no ;) !!

Last edited by Phantom; 03-11-2009 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #31  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

If so we are in the same club (Club Less). Love kids but love to send them back home too .

As for coloring (with any medium) I am a self-described lazy stamper and am more inclined to color a whole background and then stamp than to color within lines (or even outside them). I sometimes make exceptions, such as the beautiful cardinal from SU's (retired 2005) Christmas Cardinal set. I prefer pencils to markers as I think I have more control over something not as wet (I'm alsoa sloppy stamper).

I do, however, enjoy "fussy cutting" so will stamp images on different colors of cs and cut them out (or punch/diecut is suitable tool is available to me).

I think if I became obsessed with having "the latest and greatest" this hobby would no longer be fun (and even more expensive :-D).

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #32  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane7View Post
Diane
Another member (perhaps I should have read further before my previous reply).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Another member (perhaps I should have read further before my previous reply).

Hey no worries- we are clueless too in this club !!! (see further on!);)
DIane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

This is a club?? *smirk* I color with my SU inks and a blender pen.... and the crowd goes silent. I guess I don't understand all of the crazes, but whatever works is good enough for me. SU inks I already have and they work out pretty well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Try Su inks and aqua painter on watercolour paper... you will like that too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Exactly! I still use my SU markers sometimes, too - for coloring on stamps (yes, I know I can use Copics for that) especially.
Actually...I find that the copics don't do as well as the SU markers. GASP! I know! Not sure why, maybe it's me?
Funny thing was I had several people ask me what I used for one particular card I made for a challenge. Uh, that would be the SU pencils and my good ole blender pen. I love tried and true mediums, although I can honestly say that copics that were given me is (slowly) helping me understand shading and blending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

<-----And obviously not childless either. ;) We have 6 wonderful ones here in our home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love those coloring methods too - SU ink pads with a blender pen (probably the first method I tried when I started stamping) and SU markers with an aquapainter on watercolor paper. I love that look! It can look very much like the way people usually use Copics.

I have actually been using the Copics for more of a watercolor look ~ I don't pay attention to the numbers. I use a lighter one and sweep it around, then a darker one and sweep it into shadow areas, and maybe a different hue/shade/tone to give it more dimension. All very fluid and not blended but more layered. (It's how I did the color index pages for all of the Shady Tree Studio stamps so far).

I'm really wanting to work more with colored pencils these days, too - that's the best thing, to have so many techniques and tools to choose from!! And I'm starting to see a lot more people using colored pencils, blended or not. Fun!

Anyone using watercolor pencils very much? I like them - just haven't experimented a lot. Tried the SU watercolor wonder crayons too but felt I didn't have enough control.

PS: Joni - SIX children?!! Wow. I'm impressed. I have one (and 10 pets, too, does that count?) and she keeps me busy!! My Mom had six, too, and I don't know how she managed it either!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I fought having copic mania and I lost the battle. I loved the way they color but I didn't like the cost. Then I learned something that kept me having to buy a zillion. So now I have enough to enjoy without breaking the bank. But I still want my SU markes, my Marvy Brush markers, my Adirondaks, etc. For me there is no universal marker, just like I want a variety of ink pads. Copics a fad, maybe for stampers, but not as an medium.

As others have said, when a quality product comes out I like to get the better product, but it's hard to justify if you have something that will work. I'm not into getting the latest gotta have just to belong to "The Club." I left that behind in high-school.

But I will admit, I'm still looking for the automatic stamp washer...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I just got my first copics,(36B),over the weekend as a birthday gift. I got my SU markers last year when we did a marker club over 6 months. I really like both types of markers. Each has it's own unique qualities. I also like using clored pencils and OMS, and watercolor crayons/pencils with blender pens and aqua pens. It all depends on what look I want. the one thing I bought and just can't get into is the chalks.
Reply With Quote Likes