Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,767 Likes on 1,877 Posts
Default texture paste

I have been seeing videos where SU demonstrators are using Texture Paste, now that SU is selling that product. I have a container of Ranger Texture Paste, bought in 2015 I think. I have used it a couple of times then put it away in a cabinet. I saw a video this morning and was inspired to give it a try, but my paste is all dried out.

Can a container of dried out paste be revived? Thanks for the help.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt it. If it's well and truly dried up, then trying to revive it would be akin to reconstituting the texture paste you put through your stencil on your project yesterday. Dry texture paste is texture paste that has committed itself to whatever shape you've made of it, in your case the jar.

If it's just thickened, you might be able to do something with it.

Of course someone may well come along and correct me. Which would be useful for both of us.

Note: a quick YouTube search turned up nothing about reviving. But lots of ways to use texture paste and how to make your own texture past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,767 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I think it is totally dry. Thanks Rachelrose. I didn't realize it would dry up in the jar. I used it in a stencil class in 2015 and have not touched it since. I guess this is one of those products that need to be used quickly or needs a bit more care than closing the lid and putting it away. Thank you so much for looking for an answer.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't either and now I will make it my business to use mine up and not let it sit. I can't think what you could have done to keep it from drying up if you were closing the lid. Saran wrap over the top and then close the lid? Maybe I'll try that. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I don't think you can revive it. I've found that Golden's light molding (modeling) paste works really well. Mine hasn't dried out, and I've had it for years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The saran wrap under the lid and store upside down..works well for all sorts of paints/none leaking liquids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 650 Posts

That is disappointing that your paste has dried out. Guess I will do what dogbyte suggests. I recently bought TH grit paste. Thanks also the the recommend of Golden molding paste.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Since it appears to be a loss, what would it hurt to add distilled water to try refreshing it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had any luck reconstituting the paste, but all is not lost. Using a pointy tool, pick, knife etc, chop into the paste or scrap the dried surface and tip the shavings onto a craft mat or piece of aluminium foil.

Mix the shavings with some acrylic paint. Use the textured, lumpy paint for 'snow' or add it to brown paint and it can look like rough timber. The more shavings you use the more textured the paint will be. Often it is easier to use your finger to dab the mixture onto your card, instead of a brush or spatula.

Only scrap off as much texture paste as you need. Keep the remainder for another time.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 11:53 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 937 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie australiaView Post
I have never had any luck reconstituting the paste, but all is not lost. Using a pointy tool, pick, knife etc, chop into the paste or scrap the dried surface and tip the shavings onto a craft mat or piece of aluminium foil.

Mix the shavings with some acrylic paint. Use the textured, lumpy paint for 'snow' or add it to brown paint and it can look like rough timber. The more shavings you use the more textured the paint will be. Often it is easier to use your finger to dab the mixture onto your card, instead of a brush or spatula.

Only scrap off as much texture paste as you need. Keep the remainder for another time.
I like this idea Susie. I will do that with mine as I don't like waste. I could have used it on my compost card today..lol. Happy weekend and hugs
Monthly: MMJ Challenge….
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default franken-success

Hello there,

I just had pretty good success with a half solidified jar of BR [ocean color] Modeling paste. By discarding all of the thoroughly solid layer on top I was left with about a tablespoon of only half solidified paste in a not project worthy state. Really, it wouldn't spread, but it was not completely rubber either. I scooped in some of the same brand in another color [blue] and a scoop of white of another brands texture paste (not modeling paste) and cut it in with a metal pallet knife and mixed cut mixed cut mixed mixed mixed.

And what a nice surprise, it turned out to be a pretty color. So in the end, I've salvaged the nearly rubberized tablespoon of the BR ocean and turned it into a lovely turquoise color by adding about a teaspoon each of blue modeling paste and white texture paste. The white texture paste really gave it back its creaminess.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 12:43 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

You had me at "susiefreckleface" ! Thanks for sharing this great solution.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 06:15 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I don't think you can revive it. I've found that Golden's light molding (modeling) paste works really well. Mine hasn't dried out, and I've had it for years.
I use the Golden's paste too. Probably have had mine 5 years and it is still soft. I think that a lot of these specialty craft supplies are really just re-marketing of standard artist supplies that have been around for years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

You had me at "susiefreckleface" ! Thanks for sharing this great solution.

Susie, me too...I was thinking why didn't I come up with a name like that as I have lots of freckles :rolleyes: Happy Friday...long weekend here...whoohoo but every week is for us ;)
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Long weekend here too...yay! LOL not sure why I still love long weekends as I'm retired. Every weekend is a long weekend

I found the recipe I used to make some purple texture paste a few years ago. Here is a copy of the description I wrote on my upload at the time.

RECIPE for texture paste. 1 part white acrylic paint, 1 part talcum powder, 1/2 part liquid glue.

I used Johnsons baby powder (the tag smells lovely), I used Crayola Kids Washable School glue. Because I wanted it purple, I added purple paint and then added more glue and powder. In future I will just use coloured paint and no white at all. The consistency is like tooth paste. I stored the excess in a sealed plastic container, one week on and it is still good.....UPDATE: 2 years on and it's still good!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Long weekend here too...yay! LOL not sure why I still love long weekends as I'm retired. Every weekend is a long weekend

I found the recipe I used to make some purple texture paste a few years ago. Here is a copy of the description I wrote on my upload at the time.

RECIPE for texture paste. 1 part white acrylic paint, 1 part talcum powder, 1/2 part liquid glue.

I used Johnsons baby powder (the tag smells lovely), I used Crayola Kids Washable School glue. Because I wanted it purple, I added purple paint and then added more glue and powder. In future I will just use coloured paint and no white at all. The consistency is like tooth paste. I stored the excess in a sealed plastic container, one week on and it is still good.....UPDATE: 2 years on and it's still good!!
Definitely going to try this Susie...thanks for sharing.

The sun is shining here...going to be a beautiful day. Happy looooonnnngggg weekend. I always get excited too...maybe it's because it's a holiday for everyone ;) I'm hoping I can finally get back to some challenges. Had a drought for a few days as I've been trying to find my head....still feeling fuzzy...but that's nothing new LOL.

Happy day everyone
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Reviving very thick Ranger grit paste!

Ladies, I think I have some great news! I was searching online for a way to revive 'almost dried up' Ranger grit paste and came across this thread. My container of grit paste is about 5-6 years old and not much has been used out of it so I really didn't want to throw it away. I added a few drops of distilled water and worked it into the container with my palette knife, then a few more drops and a few more, until it seemed to be the right consistency. I just used it on a mixed media project so we'll see how it fares! I'll report back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 650 Posts

Thanks Leslie for posting. I just went to check my own grit paste and it has not hardened completely, but I decided to push a piece of Saran wrap (plastic wrap) all down over it to hopefully get it from going any harder.

Off topic, but the idea of the plastic wrap works for ice cream to prevent the ice crystals that form on the top. I have tried that tip and it really works!

Shirl

Last edited by shirlb19; 08-28-2020 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: site is not double spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default keep it from drying out

I posted a few weeks ago but nobody seemed to be using the paste anymore. I bought a bunch of Dreamweavers paste in all different colors years ago. Tried everything to keep them smooth. I finally figured out how to keep them for years! I wipe the rim of the jar clean, take a square of Stretch and Seal and pull it tightly over the top of the jar. Then put the lid back on. I've been doing this for years and so far, none of mine has dried out. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes