Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU stamp images

I love Stampin Up! Lately though I have made an observation while trying to cull my huge collection. I wanted to get rid of my many older stamps to make room for new stamps, however, the older stamps have stunningly more detailed images. The artwork and detailing are noticeably superior. Is this just my opinion, or are the simpler images the style now? I love my older stamps and am reconsidering letting them go, especially when I look at the incredible detailing. I don't think I can replace them. I would like to hear what others think about this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree that SU had more detailed and lovely stamps years ago.
I am rather new to stamping so I only have 3 older SU sets that I bought used . However, My former Demo loaned me some old catalogs and I found lots of stamps I wish I had.
I have very few SU stamps .
I am not fond of simple cutesy images and wish SU would return to the beautiful images I saw in the old catalogs.

My advise : KEEP your older SU stamps. You will either never find them again on the used market or the sellers want a fortune for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the message Barbara. I am amazed at how beautiful and complicated the old images are! There are very few companies that have that kind of detail anymore. I still like a lot of their things, but the older stamps are just stunning and I believe they will be valuable. I will rethink my culling idea, be happy that I have such a beautiful collection, and use what I have until things turn around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wondering...what year(s) are you referring to? I attended my first workshop in 2002/03.

Thanks,
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I completely agree with the advice to not give up those older beauties!

Shortly after I started stamping with SU, I become hooked and spent hours going through the galleries here "discovering" sets from before my time. I went hunting -- ebay, the BST forums here, all over.

I acquired quite a lot of the classic and now collectible sets and not for a fortune either -- some were very reasonable!

Then something happened and I wanted newer stamps. . . I did some selling and trading. I just didn't have room for them all.

But eventually I bought back some of my old friends - I'd see them somewhere and realize I never should have given them up!!

That was about the time I went unmounted and realized I didn't have to make a choice -- I had room for both :^).

One thing that attracted me to the older stamps was that detail that made me feel like I owned a work of art ~ so enjoy!! They'll really never go out of style.

What are some of your favorites from years gone by?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

One of the only older detailed sets I have is Feathered Friends and I still love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I am only about two years into SU, but I have purchased many older sets here and other places online. I LOVE those older sets. Even tho my styles tend to change quite often, those older detail stamp sets are beautiful! I am always so excited when I find them at garage sales too!!! Now I am just getting into COPICS... and well - you guessed it - those older SU stamps with the awesome details - I feel like I have created a work of art with each stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, thanks everyone. You make me feel better about keeping them. I was once a demonstrator so I have a LOT. I am really happy that I have a lot of the older stamps. I wonder why SU got away from those gorgeous detailed sets. Magenta is the only other company that I have with that kind of detailing.Why would SU stop creating such amazing art work on their sets? Do you think it is more economical to have less detail?

Last edited by stampinfeat; 09-14-2010 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I think part of the reason is just the trends in coloring. With the copics, and prisma pencils, the simpler line art images leave room to really show off the shading techniques. But I love the older images too, and lots of these look so pretty just stamped in one color! Keep it all! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree the older SU sets were much more artistic and beautifully drawn. It's one of the reasons why I have not purchased an SU set in years. I would keep what you love and sell the others!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

You make an excellent point Nancystamps. Simple line designs are a great way to show off Copics. That was my questions actually. What is the new trend in stamping, and is that why SU has changed their designs? Also, I know that not everyone likes the detailed stamps and maybe the more modern trend is to go with simple lines. I still love the detailed stamps, but that is my personal taste. Now to get hooked on the Copics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinfeatView Post
You make an excellent point Nancystamps. Simple line designs are a great way to show off Copics. That was my questions actually. What is the new trend in stamping, and is that why SU has changed their designs? Also, I know that not everyone likes the detailed stamps and maybe the more modern trend is to go with simple lines. I still love the detailed stamps, but that is my personal taste. Now to get hooked on the Copics!
I always thought that the detailed images were perfect for copics!!! I see some beautiful floral and fruit designs that are very details and lend themselves so well to copic markers.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Good to find out I'm not a "loner". I'm a fan of the SU older detailed sets and can't bring myself to get excited about the newer ones even if they are already punched (cut) out. So many of the newer sets when stamped have a flat look on the card and need extra embellishments to give the card some dimensions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So I'm not tne only one Hugh? When I first got into SU I dog eared the corner of every page that had something I really wanted. Then I'd have to go back and narrow it down. It would take me almost the whole year to get most of the sets I wanted. Then there was a huge rush on my part to get the ones that they were putting on the retired list. But now I wait and wait for the new catalog only to go through it several times trying to find something I like. Of course with shelves full of SU sets my hubby is glad that I'm not buying new sets anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and since I'm in a complaining mood I will add that I get frustrated going through the catalog and seeing such a huge number of cards that have lots and lots of tiny, detailed scissor cutting. It's not as easy for me to cut the tiny stuff anymore plus it's SOOO time consuming. There.. I'm done griping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Since I don't do Copics (YET), I did not know that detailed images would work, but thinking about it, of course they would! Now I am even more excited about my older stamps. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes