Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which SU dies do you recommend?

Okay--I've waded through ELEVEN pages in this forum--and learned a lot along the way--but now I've GOT to do something else for awhile. After 2-1/2 hours reading every other subject on earth in here, I didn't find this topic, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

So here's my question....
I'm about to buy the SU Big Shot Starter Kit thingey, which comes with the Top Note and Scallop Envelope Bigz dies, Sizzlet Birds and Blooms 4-pack, and an alpha strip die. So, obviously, that's a lot of fun to start with. BUT, I would love some input on what you would recommend as my "next" purchases for this machine. I've never done any die-cutting before, and have NO other brands of dies--so this is square one, and I'd like to assemble the most useful assortment for my money. I am getting into card-making in a big way just this year, and I'm learning about all kinds of other fabulous paper-crafts, but I've got TONS of scrapbooking to do, and that's my true passion.

Thanks!

Oh--I should say that I specifically want a recommendation for only the dies that SU currently sells, coz I'm buying from my stepdaughter! :-)

Last edited by Daisy T; 04-06-2009 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: To add clarification--
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Definitely pick up the new Texturz plates and the Manhattan Flower Impressions die! You'll be able to do some really fun stuff with those.

Beyond that, pick whatever "shapes" you think you'll use the most from scallops to butterflies, etc.

Also, the Occasions Mini has the new Matchbox die for the Big Shot AND this month if you spend $40 from the Occasions mini, you can get something from the under $10 (pg 208 of the Spring/Summer catalog) for free! Bonus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

since we are on the subject, could someone with the SU Billboard die alphabet comment on whether these dies will cut cleanly SU cardstock? I love this alphabet as I think it is sized perfectly for cards and you can cut an entire alpha in one swipe, rather than letter by letter. And it is cheap!!!

But I don't want it if it won't cut SU cardstock... thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Thanks--I definitely want that Matchbox die--that die will pay for itself quickly with the favor sets that I'll do for various showers this year!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrythView Post
Definitely pick up the new Texturz plates and the Manhattan Flower Impressions die! You'll be able to do some really fun stuff with those.

Beyond that, pick whatever "shapes" you think you'll use the most from scallops to butterflies, etc.

Also, the Occasions Mini has the new Matchbox die for the Big Shot AND this month if you spend $40 from the Occasions mini, you can get something from the under $10 (pg 208 of the Spring/Summer catalog) for free! Bonus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure to get the texturez!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default SU Dies

I highly recommend getting a couple of the embosslit dies too, they cut and emboss at the same time. Awesome! I agree with everything else above!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I agree with the previous poster. Definitely get a couple of the embosslits - they're awesome! I'm also really liking the "little leaves" die that I got a few weeks ago.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I agree with the embosslits! We used one at Regionals with DSP and then sanded it to get white edges--so cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I use the Scallop Circle, and Scallope Circle 2 a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Top Note definitely. And texturz plates - gives a wonderful "dry-embossed" look with nice deep impressions (when you spritz the paper with water first). And any of the flower dies that can layer on each other (Birds and Blooms, Daisy etc).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I was thinking that the "little leaves" die would be one that I would use a lot, too. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LidaBView Post
I agree with the previous poster. Definitely get a couple of the embosslits - they're awesome! I'm also really liking the "little leaves" die that I got a few weeks ago.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I guess this is like "part b" of my original question, after reading some more here on SCS--
do those of you who have the dies that WILL cut chipboard/other materials find that you use them a lot for that--or do you still mostly cut papers/cardstock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Default Dies i love?

i'm loving my petal card die right now for versatility reasons ....I really like all my dies and embossing folders i have quite a few.so i'm no help in telling you what to buy and not buy lol As for which i use most other then what comes with your shot i'd say... petal,scallop circle,leaves,daisy,and embossing but i use my dies mostly for card stock but am constantly looking at cutting other stuff i love to make cards & alter old unusable's and make them new and usable. i've cut chipboard successfully and tried fabric with little success so far but got great help here on scs. want to purchase felt here soon so i can try that... but there are loads you can do with it! and hope you have fun with your new toys!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Thanks! I'm having so much fun playing with paper this year that I've gotten away from my first love--fabric crafts. I was hoping to find that the dies that CAN cut fabric WILL cut it well. Coz I can think of a million more things to do with all my fabric scraps that way! I was wondering about adhering fabric to lightweight recycled cardboard and seeing how the different dies would work on that. I have lots of ideas--but little "practical knowledge" of all these new toys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftthedayawayView Post
i'm loving my petal card die right now for versatility reasons ....I really like all my dies and embossing folders i have quite a few.so i'm no help in telling you what to buy and not buy lol As for which i use most other then what comes with your shot i'd say... petal,scallop circle,leaves,daisy,and embossing but i use my dies mostly for card stock but am constantly looking at cutting other stuff i love to make cards & alter old unusable's and make them new and usable. i've cut chipboard successfully and tried fabric with little success so far but got great help here on scs. want to purchase felt here soon so i can try that... but there are loads you can do with it! and hope you have fun with your new toys!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've only used mine for cardstock and designer papers. I have Box #2 and the scallop bag one. They are fun. I also have the SU! Tags set of 4 sizzlets. Those are nice for a sentiment on the front of a card. The Manhattan folder is awesome and the Top Note is awesome. I love all the ones I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I want you to know first that I am not a SU demonstrator. Having said that, I have many dies & embossing folders from several different companies and use them all. I would recommend buying the EXCLUSIVE dies for SU as they are not available anywhere else! I am anxiously awaiting my order for the embosslits! You definitely can't go wrong with scalloped dies! The most awesome thing about Sizzix dies, you can cut almost any product ie: fabric, felt, chipboard! LOL
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
Pion design
Reply With Quote Likes