Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU! Classic Ink Pads

I am thinking of getting the SU! Classic ink pads in the Bold Brights colors, and just wanted to know your thoughts on them. Do you love them? Hate them? Are they just ok? I've been using VersaColor, but I'm ready to try something different Your opinion??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh dear ... if the past is a map to the future, I'll get slammed and/or flamed for saying this, but I positively HATE the SU! ink pads.

I love, love, love how their paper, ink, markers and many of their ribbons match up, so I have all their ink spots, ink refills, markers, etc. But their regular sized ink pads are glued around the edge only, the surface is not level or even, so inking a stamp takes some skill. A skill I do not possess.

I have a few of the regular sized pads and am thoroughly frustrated. Will not get more unless/until they redesign the pad for those of us less-than-able stampers. I've been crabby about it for several years, so I imagine their sales hasn't been an issue with folk like me ...

If you're not familiar with their ink pads, I'd get one or two and try them out before investing in a whole color family. If you go the ink spot route, you'll want to be sure to trim any loose threads from the edges so the ink doesn't wick away, but at least you have a level (although smaller) surface to deal with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've owned the Stampin' Up! Classic Ink Pads since I've been a demo for seven years and before that as a customer. I think I started with the Bold Brights as my demo at the time, now upline, told me that you could "stamp off" with them and have a lighter shade if you wanted, thereby "sort of" getting two shades with one ink pad....for when you are starting and can't buy everything at once! The Bold Brights were my favorites for a long time, now I would probably say I use the In Colors a lot. I also own the white Craft ink pad because I do find some uses for the white now and then. If you do have a problem with your ink pad and you let your demo know right away she can help you with it.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I love my stampin up classic ink pads and have had them for years with out any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have them and like them. I don't find them difficult to work with at all. I like how they coordinate with the papers, ribbons, etc.

That said, I have other Blacks that I like a lot better -- Versafine Onyx and Memento Black.

Why don't you give a set of stampin' spots a try, if you just have smaller stamps to ink up? They are less expensive, take up less room, and still coordinate with everything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I would pick and choose a few colors from all the different color families, instead of getting the Bold Brights. My recommendations for colors that get used a TON - Pretty in Pink, Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, So Saffron, Old Olive, Certainly Celery, Bashful Blue, and Chocolate Chip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 271 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm seconding the suggestion above to consider the ink spots rather than the full-sized pads. I've been pleasantly surprised at how long the SU spots stay juicy (and you can re-ink them), and I've enjoyed having all the color families in them. I've bought the markers as I've gone along, too, and have found that I can do anything I want to with either an ink spot or a marker. I have a few full-size pads and really seldom use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I dont like the classic bold brights only the real Red and Brilliant Blue. the better colour families are the earth elements and rich regals but of late i am very happy with the CTMH colour families especially Sweet Leaf and the Barn red is so unusual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree the Stampin' Spots are easy to use, portable, cost less, and give you the opportunity to see what colors you use the most. So they have their purpose. That being said, if you stamp a lot, I think you will eventually want the regular size ink pads. And I think I would agree that it might be better to choose colors you like from several families to give yourself a variety, unless you really want all the colors in Bold Brights. I think there is also a price break in buying the whole family of colors at once....maybe equal to one free ink pad, I'm not sure at the moment, so that might be a consideration. Always so many choices!!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

It was the Bold Brights that came automatically in the starter kit 7 1/2 years ago. I loved them, especially the red, green, and blue for Christmas. Then I got the Earth Elements. And all the Pinks for the previous BC ribbon stamp. Except for those and maybe three other full pads, I have all the colors in spots both classic and craft. I rarely use Soft Subtles and Rich Regals, so I didn't buy the full pads. I have all the markers, the pastels, and the watercolor crayons, so I didn't feel a need for them.

I would buy a couple of must-have colors and try them out and go from there. You'll find you use your favorites over and over.

Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #11  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyfullyhisView Post
I am thinking of getting the SU! Classic ink pads in the Bold Brights colors, and just wanted to know your thoughts on them. Do you love them? Hate them? Are they just ok? I've been using VersaColor, but I'm ready to try something different Your opinion??
If your question is do I like the Bold Bright colors the answer is ... it depends on what I am stamping (love the pinks and purples for flowers, the red, greens and blue for cards for young boys).

If your question is do I like the stamp pads my answer is yes! I have not yet experienced problems inking a stamp (except larger background stamps but it is best to use a brayer or giant ink pad such as Ranger Archival for those imo).

Some of my pads have sunk slightly in the center but they were infrequently used colors that went unused for years and thus were never reinked. I think keeping the pads fully inked prevents the sagging as my frequently used/reinked pads have not sagged. Do be sure to trim any stray threads, especially on the cubes/spots, because they will just suck up the ink.

One last thought is if you use mainly detailed stamps you will probably be happier staying with VersaColor (or VersaFine) but that really is an individual choice. Or try Memento inkpads - it saved me from almost tossing a stamp that I just could not get a clear image with - which made me buy several other colors of Memento ink :-D.

If you do give the full size SU Classic pad a try, be sure it is a new one so there won't be a question of it having sat on a shelf for very long or being subject to climate changes (which I know my older inkpads were ETA: because I stored them in an unheated room.) etc. so you have a fair "test".

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

I am a HUGE fan of the spots! I find it easier to get even coverage on a stamp by tapping a spot all over it than trying to maneuver my stamp around the regular-size pad. PLUS - I'm trying to make my stamping/crafting supplies fit into as small a space as possible, so that really works for me, PLUS it's a very affordable way to acquire every color in the regular lineup! I'm waiting for them to do the In Colors in spots (I doubt that will ever happen, but still...) Spots and reinkers get my vote! Also - SU! inks were formulated to get great results with rubber stamps, so be aware that if you use acrylic/photopolymer stamps a lot, that other inks are formulated for better results with them (CTMH, Versafine, Palette). SU! inks have a tendency to puddle a bit with them. You can overcome this to a great degree by conditioning your stamps, and/or tapping the stamp into Versamark and then SU ink.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you stamping with? By that, I mean, what kinds of stamps are you using? Are you using clear ones or rubber ones? The reason I ask is that VersaColor pads use a thicker, and more similar to craft, ink as they're pigment ink. Pigment ink simply works differently than dye ink and has a different look. If you're using very finely detailed stamps, then often, but not always, dye ink will give you a better image. If you're using mostly clear stamps, especially cheaper made ones, then dye ink will often bubble on your stamp and not give you a clean image, especially on stamps with large, untextured stamping surfaces. So, performance-wise, it really matters what kinds of stamps and images you're stamping and what look you're looking for as to if you'll be happy with SU's Classic inks.

As for the SU Classic inks, I've been really happy with mine. I do use mostly rubber stamps or higher end clear stamps. I have had problems with the inks on lower end clear stamps (even after using an eraser on them or rubbing them on my jeans to get the manufacturing gunk off), and higher end stamps if they have large portions that are solid. However, I've used SU's classic inks for over ten years and have had very few problems.

Also, if you like the colors in the Bold Brights family, then get them! It's all about getting the colors you like and will use. I started with Rich Regals, as I was a RR gal, but I've found that over time, I tend to use a lot of Bold Brights and Earth Elements as well. Just play around and buy what you like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I love my classic ink pads. I have not had a problem and I have had them for a 3 years and not neede to reink once. I use mainly rubber stamps.

Smart to get feed back before committing to a large purchase. PS you might want to hold off on your whole family of ink purchases till January, then you can earn AWESOME Sale a Brations rewards!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like the SU! ink pads alot actually. I'm not a demo - I've had mine for many years and have had no troubles at all.

The best value is to buy the whole color family at one time vs the individual ink pads. that said - I have lots of SU! pads but not all the families - I wish now that when I started to buy them I had bought the whole families.

It is cheaper to get the spots and they do work well but I find I like the larger size.

I personally tend to use the earth elements and rich regal colors more so I started there. If you find the bold brights are the colors you "go-to" then start there.

HTH Andrea

Last edited by ekip2; 11-22-2009 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: type
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a huge fan of all SU ink pads. Am very happy and pleased I bought SU ink pads. No regrets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my SU ink pads!! Having bought the entire set at once around 6 1/2 years ago, I never felt any need to buy the spots. Then I started buying some card kits and punch boxes that had ink spots in them. I LOVE them!! They are so portable. I'd love to buy the entire sets, but haven't let myself yet. I have what few spots I have in an SU clamshell box that I take everywhere with me.
That said, I dont' like the SU black either. The black SU spot I have is better than the large ink pad that's purple. The spot is actually black. BUt, at a scrapbook convention this past summer I got a black spot from Technique Tuesday, and I love it. It doesn't smear as easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had 4 SU classic ink pads change color over time. Beware as many many others also had this same issue. Some are brand new pads.
Also over time they will sag in the middle. And NO reinking does not correct this. It is the actual case that sags that inkpad is on.
I do have the majority of the SU inks and I do not use them to much anymore.
I love my CTMH pads and others like Memento and Versamagic. I also have many StazOn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
I have them and like them. I don't find them difficult to work with at all. I like how they coordinate with the papers, ribbons, etc.

That said, I have other Blacks that I like a lot better -- Versafine Onyx and Memento Black.

Why don't you give a set of stampin' spots a try, if you just have smaller stamps to ink up? They are less expensive, take up less room, and still coordinate with everything else.
Well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

The Bold Brights is my favorite color family! I use my spots more often than the full sized pads though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I also love the SU spots -- very easy to work with and an inexpensive way to get a whole color family. I find the design of the SU full size pad very cumbersome to work with and to open, and have found sagging to be a problem. I don't often use colors from the BB family, but never make cards for kids -- that might make a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't use all the bold brights all that often but I do own the red and brilliant
blue. I do use my markers to ink up my stamps that need the bright colors. I do have all the subtles and love them. If you are using those colors then go ahead and purchase the set.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes