Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #41  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what it is. Makeovers of old stamps. I thought alot of the sets looked like stamps that I already have but aren't exactly the same. I thought it was just me loosing some of my brain cells but it isn't just me. Thank goodness!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

I'm not very impressed with the new catalog, but most of all, I hate that they don't have the recipes. I looked at them all the time on previous catalogs.
A while ago they had the recipes for one of the mini-catalogs on line, but when they changed the catalog, they got rid of them.
The good thing is that every new catalog I find less things that I like, so in the long run, I'm going to be saving money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #43  
Forum Fanatic

I'd still prefer it if the recipes were included in the catalog itself. That way I would not have to worry about them falling out, missing a page, getting separated from the catalog, etc. I like everything in one place, together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I did that all the time. IIRC SU didn't have the recipes in the back until the last few years-before that they didn't have them anywhere. I know that CTMH had them in a separate booklet which was a pain because I didn't always have the booklet with the catalog.
This is totally true. It's been a few years since I was a demo, but during the three years I demo'd, only the last catalog I sold from had the recipes in it. My customers rarely even asked about them and when they did, I could tell by looking at the picture what stamps and supplies were used in the card.

Personally, I've never read the recipes. I always though of those pages to be a bit of a waste to me. Now that people are used to them, I can see some complaints though. Having them available at least to download should eliminate them. If I demo'd still, I'd take the time to print one or two color copies and have them bound at Kinkos. If a question comes up, I'd have the answer on hand with a visual to show the customer. If not, it could stay safely tucked away in my bag, or possibly just get laid out with my display.

There are lots of ways to get around something you consider a lack. Having more product in the catalog is well worth the trade off to me.

Now if SU! really wanted to give the customer an easy way to see the recipe, they'd print the info right under the card like stamping mags do!

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #45  
Crimping Master

Hey all does anyone kno when the new catalog ends? I am getting married in May and probobly won't be ordering until after then. I want to make sure I will have time to order what I want even though I havn't even seen it yet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

Quote:

Originally Posted by helmts1981View Post
Hey all does anyone kno when the new catalog ends? I am getting married in May and probobly won't be ordering until after then. I want to make sure I will have time to order what I want even though I havn't even seen it yet
The back of the catalog says Jan 19 - June 30.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by helmts1981View Post
I am getting married in May....
Totally off topic--Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I would still like to have one big catty a year and more mini catalogs. I get so confused between the dormant and retired lists -- have to keep referring to the lists, etc. I think SU just made more work for themselves when they went to two cattys a year.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #49  
Gabfest Goddess

I'll be disappointed to see the recipes disappear. I liked to refer to them to see what colors or embellishments are used. And although I'm on the computer a lot, I don't like the idea that if I'm browsing my catalog and want to know what was used on a project, that I have to go to my computer and look it up. I think this was a bad move on SU's part. Yes, maybe they are saving money by printing less pages, but they are going to lose sales when people can't easily access the info for a project they might want to re-create and therefore, don't order the items used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

A few more thoughts:

1) I peeped at the catty and I LOVE it, which is a relief because I didn't love the fall/winter one too much. So twice a year cattys is a good thing for me so far.

2) I don't have ALL of the colors memorized (just my favs) so I liked being able to flip to the back (not that you can't compare them to the color chart)-plus if I'm at a craft night or crop night at a store, I may not have internet readily available (I COULD carry a CD with me- but I don't have a TON of craft time, so I'm not a big fan of adding steps to the process)

3) I love that the stamps are die cut, I am not good at cutting them myself and very much appreciate this.

4) There may still be the same amount of pages, BUT a lot of pages are devoted to duplicate items, so we are not necessarily getting more product choice- it just depends what you want. The color families are listed in the FRONT and the back. There are the collections listed at the beginning of the book but the products are listed again later- they are just lists of coodinating products.

I think its a matter of preference- I prefer to buy cookbooks with pictures in them because that is part of what makes me want to make a particular dish, even though a picture is not necessary to make a recipe. I do think if it is going to be promoted and sold as an idea book then recipes should be included.

Alison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

If people have too much difficulty figuring the recipes out on their own, maybe SU will be so inundated with calls and requests for assistance that they'll put them back in! I could go either way; can usually figure out what is used on a particular sample. We can always post here on SCS and get plenty of help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
My demo got her catalogs yesterday and I must say that I'm very disappointed not to have the recipes for the sample in the "idea book". I thought that was the way they justified charging so much for the catalog!
I was also somewhat disappointed with the Sizzix Bigz dies that make boxes because they don't show the box that it makes! It's hard to visualize with just the shape that the die cuts. I would have thought that they would have photos of the 3D type die cut results.
Other than that, I enjoyed looking through the new catty. Somewhat disappointed that there aren't more "new" sets. Seems like a lot are just sort of makeovers of previous sets. I was surprised to see Christmas sets in there, as well. Isn't this the Spring-Summer catty? I sure hope they have some cute Easter stamps in the spring mini. I also loved a lot of the new DPs and found a couple of sets that I will probably order. I think this time around I will be buying more accessories than stamp sets. I'll be looking forward to the mini.
I totally agree with your comments! Guess I've been stamping for so long that new sets are often like 'remakes' from sets I recall from years ago. They do have some great papers and accessories that will be fun to try out.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

I have been getting things from online stores and Ebay alot lately because my purchase will arrive alot faster.

I love SU but if I am planning a project I usually want to start if fairly soon.

I want to support my demo, and love her dearly, but I am spending hard earned money would like my merchandise as quick as reasonably possible!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #54  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

In case it hasn't been posted previously, the recipes ARE still available. They just are not in the catalog. Demonstrators already have access to it, and it will be available on the customer side of the Stampin' Up website on 1/19 when the new catalog goes live. So you can either get it from the website or ask your demonstrator to print it for you or e-mail it to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Just saw the catty for the first time today. I think it's better than the Fall-Winter - I didn't like the last catty very much at all. Not to say I had any trouble placing an order but I wasn't thrilled with the samples etc. Of course, some people liked the last catty and don't like this one and vice versa. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

I don't think that not having the recipes is tragic but I do admit that I used to flip to the recipe to see what a particular colour was. As long as it's available on line then no big for me but I can understand that some people are disappointed that it's no longer there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

I wasn't all that impressed with the new catalog and I, too, am disappointed that the recipes aren't in the back. I also wish they had specified - maybe they did and I missed it - which Sizzix dies are exclusive to SU. I'd rather get the ones that aren't exclusive from AC Moore with a coupon - they're too expensive in the catalog, I think. I didn't see all that many new sets and not a one that made me want to open my wallet. I think they should go back to one catalog a year and more minis, as someone else said. Just my two cents :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #57  
Compulsive Stamper

Red face

I'm not a demo, just a customer - but one that has invested a big chunk of my "discretionary spending" into SU!.

I am HUGELY disappointed that the recipes are not in the catty. And while it's good news that they will be available on line, that's often not convenient for me. I stamp many places besides at home and don't always have computer access.

Above all, I appreciate Allison's comment "I do think if it is going to be promoted and sold as an idea book then recipes should be included." In our stamp club we pay for our catalogues, so it's nice to think it's more than just a sales book.

Just my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #58  
Crimping Master

The dies that say 'Stamin Up' before the name of the die are the exclusive ones, right? That is what I surmised.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes