Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2023, 04:52 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stampwheel

What are your thoughts on the Altenew Stampwheel? Based on demonstrations and reviews, this appears to be a great tool. Thanks

Last edited by STINKY; 04-04-2023 at 05:16 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2023, 05:18 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

It does look cool, a little awkward to keep having to pick up and flip the plate for inking. And way too pricey.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lutheran:
pepperann (04-06-2023), STINKY (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:02 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I think it's a good option for those who like to create wreaths or use turnabout stamps. The larger working area is nice, too, as is the sticky mat feature. If you like doing those things, the price is in line with a large platform + wreath guide + sticky mat.

I have it set aside as a "thinking about it". I have been using a MISTI for years and it works well. But as much as I realize the owner needs to take care of her investment and product, I don't like how she is going after EVERYONE. I didn't like when Sizzix went after influencers and other companies (regarding the Big Shot) and avoid their products. I feel like this is another similar situation.

For me, the downside of this one is the flipping action and the size of the cover compared to the base. I like to prop my platform up on its side (out of my way) when I am stamping and this setup won't let me do that easily. But, I recognize they had to do something other than a hinge to avoid being in violation of MISTI's patent...

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
AScrapofKindness (04-25-2023), ChrisO (04-04-2023), pepperann (04-06-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I think it's a good option for those who like to create wreaths or use turnabout stamps. The larger working area is nice, too, as is the sticky mat feature. If you like doing those things, the price is in line with a large platform + wreath guide + sticky mat.

I have it set aside as a "thinking about it". I have been using a MISTI for years and it works well. But as much as I realize the owner needs to take care of her investment and product, I don't like how she is going after EVERYONE. I didn't like when Sizzix went after influencers and other companies (regarding the Big Shot) and avoid their products. I feel like this is another similar situation.

For me, the downside of this one is the flipping action and the size of the cover compared to the base. I like to prop my platform up on its side (out of my way) when I am stamping and this setup won't let me do that easily. But, I recognize they had to do something other than a hinge to avoid being in violation of MISTI's patent...
Thanks for your response! Similar thoughts with the flipping action. I did see where they are adding a grid, which should be helpful. I will watch a few more reviews before I decide.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 05-04-2023 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: SPR.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by STINKY:
AScrapofKindness (04-25-2023), ChrisO (04-09-2023), fl_beachbum (04-05-2023), pepperann (04-06-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 06:23 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

A correction to my comment earlier... I saw a comparison video of this and the Original size Misti - the Stamp Wheel isn't that much bigger. It's about the same height but square, so wider but not necessarily taller than the original Misti. Just thought I would mention it in case someone was concerned it would be really big.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2023, 08:07 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,866 Posts

I watched a video by Ardyth yesterday and she shows ways to use this tool.

It might be helpful if you are considering purchasing one.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
fl_beachbum (04-07-2023), hultenlk (04-09-2023), STINKY (04-18-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 10:08 AM   #7  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

I had not been aware of this new stamping tool Altenew has patented and marketed. Thank you for the comments and video links. It does look like a promising tool to use, with some advantages over the MISTI.
I had tried the Tim Holtz stamp positioning tool when I got one at a clearance price. I couldn’t ever get used to it, so sold it. For that reason, I never tried the SU Stamp-a-ratus. Perhaps it is about what one gets used to using, at least for me. I am a creature of habit. Once I become skilled with certain tools, inks, cardstocks, etc., it is more difficult for me to switch to yet again something new. Especially if I am pleased with the results I am already having.
I’d really like to try out in person (hands on) this new Altenew tool before committing to a purchase. There is a lot to be said for brick and mortar stamping stores, which are now so few and far between.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
pepperann (04-07-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 03:39 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Simon Hurley also has a good video on the Stampwheel. If I didn’t already have two MISTIs I love so much, I’d probably be more interested. But with the sticky mat in my MISTI, I don’t think the Stampwheel is giving me new features I’d use on a regular basis to justify the price point. Plus, I just know myself and could see getting confused about which layer was where after all the flipping. I do see MarkerPOP had a discount of $10 off for those who are interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by hultenlk:
ChrisO (04-12-2023), jah636 (04-10-2023), STINKY (04-18-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 05:10 PM   #9  

Received 1,389 Likes on 520 Posts

I like that it comes with a sticky mat, but I have one that can fit in my MISTI. The biggest thing that jumped out at me was that I easily saw myself getting annoyed with having to flip over the plate. A huge caveat with regards to my opinion: even though I own a MISTI, I rarely use it. It's more convenient to me to use a stamp on a block, even knowing the risk I'm taking lol! So I'm not too vested in using any stamp positioner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Arlene_C (04-14-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 12:01 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I saw Simon's demo of this. It is interesting. I have enough positioners though.

I don't think MISTI is wrong to protect her trademark. I would want to protect mine and it can't be cheap/pleasant for her to do either. She is pretty much a one item company too there is that. It is her bread and butter. And she might have to go after everyone or any future case she brings she might lose for letting "some go".

There are other positioners. I have a tim holtz bc it is full 12 inch size and was cheaper than MITIs big one. Until now there has been the stamparatus. And now there is this one and I want to say there are others so you are not locked into having to have a MISTI
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
hultenlk (04-16-2023), jkaymac (04-26-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 11:15 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula O.View Post
I’ve watched a few videos and it seems kind of primitive in relation to the hinged stamp positioners. It’s also pricey at $99. But options are limited since Miss MISTI is so sue happy.
Agree. Appears there are limited options left. I will continue to watch for stampwheel changes/improvement before I purchase. Very intriguing though. Thanks for responding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I saw Simon's demo of this. It is interesting. I have enough positioners though.

I don't think MISTI is wrong to protect her trademark. I would want to protect mine and it can't be cheap/pleasant for her to do either. She is pretty much a one item company too there is that. It is her bread and butter. And she might have to go after everyone or any future case she brings she might lose for letting "some go".

There are other positioners. I have a tim holtz bc it is full 12 inch size and was cheaper than MITIs big one. Until now there has been the stamparatus. And now there is this one and I want to say there are others so you are not locked into having to have a MISTI
I get the business side, but the Stamparatus was VERY different than the MISTI. I wish I would have purchased one before they were discontinued. I will not purchase a MISTI. I really like the features of the Stampwheel, so that might be the one. Thanks for responding!.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2023, 11:22 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
I had not been aware of this new stamping tool Altenew has patented and marketed. Thank you for the comments and video links. It does look like a promising tool to use, with some advantages over the MISTI.
I had tried the Tim Holtz stamp positioning tool when I got one at a clearance price. I couldn’t ever get used to it, so sold it. For that reason, I never tried the SU Stamp-a-ratus. Perhaps it is about what one gets used to using, at least for me. I am a creature of habit. Once I become skilled with certain tools, inks, cardstocks, etc., it is more difficult for me to switch to yet again something new. Especially if I am pleased with the results I am already having.
I’d really like to try out in person (hands on) this new Altenew tool before committing to a purchase. There is a lot to be said for brick and mortar stamping stores, which are now so few and far between.
Agree! It would be nice to try it out in person! I guess I will watch a few more demonstrations before I decide to buy. Thanks for responding!
Reply With Quote Likes
ozarkstamper (04-18-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 05:08 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had my Stampwheel for about 2 weeks now and I love it. It is light weightandvery easy to use. The flip plate is not awkward because it is so light, compared to the lid on my Tim Holtz platform. It is also more flexible, so am able to get crisp images without using a preassure tool. The photopolymer mat holds things very well, I am glad not to use magnets. Works great for layering stamps and making wreaths as well as stenciling. There are 2 things it is not as good at as my other platform. It is 7 1/2 inch square, soif I was to stamps the inside of my cards I have to let paper trail outside the rim. Hard to get good placement for this. The other is lining up rubber sentiments. There is not a grid on the flip plate that I can use to be sure my rubber sentiments are straight. Works fine with photopolymer sentiments since you can see how they line up. For the rubber ones I will just use my other platform. I feel like it was worth the money, and I am very happy with it. After seeing what people are paying on ebay for the Stamparatus, the Stampwheel seems like a bargain!
Reply With Quote Likes
STINKY (10-14-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 03:19 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you for the feedback. I hadn't thought about the positive aspect of not needing magnets and it's great no pressure tool is needed. Bummer on the rubber stamps and stamping on the inside.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2023, 03:23 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. But as for the other positioners, the Tim Holtz is not longer available (at least in the US) and now neither is the stamparatus. Hopefully this wheel is different enough to not be challenged and appealing enough for those seeking other options. I think the only other one is the WRMK with the pegs (instead of a hinge). I don't mean this as a way to go against her, just as it's nice to have options for tools.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
ChrisO (05-24-2023), STINKY (10-14-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 04:54 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have purchased the stampwheel but haven't gotten it yet. I recently saw the sizzix stencil and stamp tool. How does it compare to the stampwheel. I do like the idea of being able to accurately position stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
STINKY (06-26-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 03:02 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Looks like a cool tool and it has a lower price point (also nice). It looks like the stencils they are using in the samples have two holes near the top. The holes go onto two pegs and help hold the stencil in place. They also use a sticky mat, so maybe you don't need to use the thing with the two pegs? Would be important to know because most stencils on the market are not going to have those two holes.

Nice also that it's open on three sides, so your paper can easily extend in those directions. That will make it easier to stamp on the inside of cards.

It does have a hinge though and it looks a lot like the stamp-a-ratus one. So that makes me wonder if this product will be challenged, as well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2023, 01:26 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

What? Another new one coming soon. It's by We R Makers, the Rotating Precision Press, and scrapbook.com will be selling it for $45. It has a plate you flip, like the Altenew version. The base has no frame so you can stamp 12x12 paper.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2023, 03:30 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

That's cool! Hard to tell how wide it is in here. I wonder if it is big enough to accommodate a background stamp. Or is it meant for smaller stamps used repeatedly like in the video?

Reply With Quote Likes
STINKY (06-26-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 01:19 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I watched the Simon Hurley video. The stamp wheel seems like a great tool for color layering stamps too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2023, 10:54 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Delete -- It was a duplicate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2023, 07:42 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampwheel

I also don’t like all that flipping. I hardly ever make wreaths which seems to be the selling point. And the biggest thing is I can’t stand messes, etc. The rubber mats stain. I would go crazy stamping on a pad that is all stained. Perhaps I need therapy! I have used a misti for years and am totally happy with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2023, 11:08 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I'm mostly excited about this for turnabout stamps. I'll have to watch a few more videos, but if it is easy to use with turnabout stamps, then I will be getting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2023, 10:52 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I bought the Stamp Wheel, and I love it for the Concord & 9th turnabout stamps. The diagonal lines on the top plate line up with the diagonal lines on the turnabout jig. It's great that I don't need to reposition the stamp itself before moving on to a new turn and/or color.

I also really like that the mat grips the paper. I like my MISTI, but when using it I always put the paper in the corner. If I try to position the paper with the magnets, the paper always moves. The Stamp Wheel really holds on to the paper. So it's great for using with stencils and off the edge stamping.

I am storing it on its side like a book on the bookshelf.

The sticky mat definitely stains with ink. Also, the stamped paper curls after you lift it off the mat. The paper can be flattened under something heavy, but it's an extra step. I do wish the sticky mat had grid lines and outlines to make it easy to center square and A2 paper in the center of the mat. I used a ruler and some washi tape to mark off where the edges of my paper needed to line up. It took a little effort to line the lid up with the base sometimes, but I was always able to nudge it into place without any unintended ink getting onto my stamped paper.

That said, Altenew does sell center alignment guides. I'll probably buy those. And they sell a low tack sticky mat, which may curl the paper less.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Alice in Md (08-29-2023)