Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stampin up markers

I am not a big fan of the blendabilities. Should I invest in the markers? Does anyone recommend them? Do you use them enough to warrant spending g the money?

Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me make a decision
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't want alcohol markers, then there are several water based brands I like, but what are you wanting to do with your markers? I ask because water based markers aren't the best for coloring stamped images direct to paper because the paper pills up. If it's just a small area then you can get away with it.
If you want to color direct to stamp then the SU markers work great, also if you don't want to invest in all the ink pads but want all the ink colors then buying the markers is a good way to go.
Personally I prefer Tombow and Distress markers over the SU ones because you can use them to watercolor and the ink reacts with water whereas the SU markers do not.

Last edited by klh54; 08-28-2014 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

When I started out making cards 8 years ago, me being me, had to have it all. Stamps pads, markers, paper in every color SU sold including the In Colors. One thing I feel I did wrong was buy all the stamp pads. Didn't use half of them then SU revamped their color families. I have a bunch of stamp pads I rarely used or didn't use at all. Now I only order the makers in the In Colors and if there is one I'm using a lot I order the stamp pad. Also, only order the assortment pack of In Color card stock. Again, if there is one I really love will order the a full pack.

What I'm trying to say is, if I had it to do all over again, I would purchase all the markers and only basic color stamp pads. If there is a color I need and don't have the stamp pad I use the marker. I did not order new pads for new colors when SU revamped and have not missed any of them, just use my marker. I do not regret purchasing all the markers in fact use them more than I ever did all the stamp pads.

Recently I took all the retired stamp pads and boxed them up. Haven't missed any of them yet. I am replacing some basic colors with the new firm foam pads. Now to clear out some paper but would never get rid of any of my markers.

Hope this rambling helps and makes some sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am in agreement with Suzie. If I had to do it all over again I would buy the markers and not the ink pads. I use my markers more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I use my stamp pads more. I bought the whole set of markers about 8 years ago and use them quite a bit too. I only buy ink pads for colors I love and use. I have never bought a color family.

I went to a SU workshop and the demo uses cardstock from Michael's - white, black, & cream. I was surprised, but for some strange reason she only charges $5.00 to make 5 cards!

On top of that if you put in an order the class is only $3.00!!!!! I wouldn't let her only charge me $3.00 for the class, as $5.00 is ridiculously cheap. Her cards have lots of detail and she has current stamps and paper (except for the neutrals).

She must us the contraband paper to save $$$$$.

I found you can use the SU markers and a blender pen ( just lightly dab the blender pen ion to the ink pad), with this brand of paper and it does not pill. You can nicely shade flowers with this technique and paper.

Does anyone know.....is it Recollections paper? I've read about it here at SCS.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 08-29-2014 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Kathy,

I may be confused in comparison to the others who have posted. So, here is the simplest answer I can think of to the question that I think you're asking. If you're not a fan of them, why would you want to sink money in them? Is your real question what type you should buy? Alcohol or water base?

I don't know if I'm a fan or not of blendabilities or copics. I've never allowed myself to indulge in them. I truly admire the works that people do with them and such, but I've been able to achieve really nice looks with my tom bows, my berols, my american crafts, and my distress markers (although, I do have a copic blender). I have been able to color with them, ink my stamps with them, I color my doodles that I draw in my pocketbook journal and I ink the edges to my fussy cuttings. I'm personally satisfied with the types of markers that I have and they didn't cost me most of my paycheck. lol I have definitely read up on them all and watched videos on them, but I have chosen to stick with the much cheaper ones.

I didn't feel that I was a good enough artist to warrant spending that type of money. If you're really good at it and that's what you like doing best, then I'd say yes spend the money, but I guess I don't feel like it is worth it for me, but maybe to you it's worth it.

I have both alcohol and water base markers. I have a MAJOR wide range of colors and I don't feel like I have spent rent on markers.

Maybe I'm confused in what you're using them for,..... What are you trying to achieve with these markers? Would this be an ongoing thing or just a project.

I will say that I wished that I was a really good artist that I could draw then color and blend the image in. If I were a good artist, I would have every marker type and color. But, alas, I am not.

I hope you are able to figure out what works for you and I hope it doesn't rip a hole in your pockets. Good luck Kathy.

Kathy.

Last edited by Denverkat276; 08-30-2014 at 03:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Honestly, I have had my markers for 8+ years and they are just now starting to dry out (the thin end which I use for journaling). I absolutely love them and I am so glad I purchased them when I did!
HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I think it probably is Recollections paper. That is their store brand that they sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2014, 03:58 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Kathy - Stampin Up has 2 types of markers now - the Blendabilities are their new alcohol markers (like Copics), and they still have their watercolor markers that are available in all their colors.

Another way to use the watercolor markers is to scribble the color on a plastic surface - acrylic block, old cd, that sort of thing - and pick it up with a water brush. Then you can use it for watercoloring, just like you can with the inkpads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2014, 02:38 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have several brands of markers and use them for different reasons. One thing I've learned is that I would not buy a complete set of anything - only buy the colors you use.

I'm a copic fan and they are the only alcohol markers I'll buy. I've tried several different brands and Copic are for me.

SU water based markers - only because they match the colors I have and because I'm a demo I need them for classes. I do coloring of small areas and direct to stamp if I'm not blending. I also use like cbet said to water color. Also, when new colors come out, I buy the marker and if I like the color I buy a reinker and make a spot pad. If I use the spot pad enough, I'll buy a full pad.

Marvy Brush (not Le Plume) - the bet for direct to stamp mist blending

Tombow - good for direct to stamp and small areas of coloring

Holtz Distress Markers - not a fan of these but ok for small areas of coloring

Last thing to consider, are most of your stamps rubber or clear/poly stamps? Because coloring direct to stamp with a marker works best on rubber not the clear stamps.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the Stampin Up markers and use them a lot. When they start to dry out I carefully pull the brush end out with a pair of tweezers and put a couple of drops on ink in then stick the brush end back in, if the brush end starts to get worn out I just replace it. I bought some replacement brush tips online a couple of years ago and don't remember where I bought them, I'm going to have to either find the website again or do a search.
Every time SU comes out with a new color I always buy the markers first, I color in images with them, color the stamp, if its and image I want more than one color on I just color in the image on the stamp, spray some water in the air and swipe the stamp through the water and stamp. I still have all the ink pads for my larger stamps but my markers live on my desk and the stamp pads live on a shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes