Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spellbinders Wizard Recall

Yesterday I tried to order the Wizard from Ellen Hutson.com and learned from Beth that there must be a manufacturing defect with the new Wizards and they are recalling them. I'm not sure if there is anything posted on the Spellbinders site or not...just wanted to give everyone a heads up! ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Awww man, seriously?? I preordered mine about a month ago. I already have the nesties but have been waiting on the machine. This stinks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

That might be the Xcalibur that was due to be released soon...I read someplace (most likely SCS) that production issues came up and they were talking 2009 release now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drats! It is true. I got an email from Spellbinder saying that the new Wizard has been recalled and they are not shipping out any orders right now. Now what am I gonna do with my dies that I just ordered???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

How strange! I just received my from Ellen Hutson (Monday) and have been using it a lot in the last couple of days.

I wonder what the problem is?

Thanks for letting us know
My finally growing gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpoisonView Post
Drats! It is true. I got an email from Spellbinder saying that the new Wizard has been recalled and they are not shipping out any orders right now. Now what am I gonna do with my dies that I just ordered???
I use mine in my big shot by sizzix. I just wish my ovals would get here.

Can I help you take control of your families healthy care?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel StampsView Post
How strange! I just received my from Ellen Hutson (Monday) and have been using it a lot in the last couple of days.

I'm curious about this as well. I received mine from Ellen Hutson today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I read somewhere that the new one has a tendency to smash cuttlebug folders - don't know if that is true or not. Has anyone tried the folders with their new one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Yea I heard the pressure is too tight on the new one and it does smash the cuttlebug plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel StampsView Post

Cut at home are asking people to contact them ASAP to return them. They are also cancelling orders for Wizard as they don't have a timeframe on when this will be resolved. So I would contact Ellen Hutson to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpoisonView Post
I use mine in my Cuttlebug....works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I received my Wizard on Monday. On Tuesday I received an email about a Wizard issues and would receive an update on the issues within 48 hours. I received no update, so this morning thought I would give the Wizard a whorl.

What a work out!!! Watched and worked along with the DVD. Her's worked so easily, mine was like wrestling a wolverine! It worked but it was super tight. There is no way I'm going to try the cuttlebug folders in this baby. But I think it did help tighten my abs and biceps. Two cards a day and I think I'll be fit and trim by August.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

I actually had an order with CAH and had to cancel it a few weeks ago. I was sad I had to, but now I'm glad I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post
I received my Wizard on Monday. On Tuesday I received an email about a Wizard issues and would receive an update on the issues within 48 hours. I received no update, so this morning thought I would give the Wizard a whorl.

What a work out!!! Watched and worked along with the DVD. Her's worked so easily, mine was like wrestling a wolverine! It worked but it was super tight. There is no way I'm going to try the cuttlebug folders in this baby. But I think it did help tighten my abs and biceps. Two cards a day and I think I'll be fit and trim by August.
LOL TOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!
You might be on to something!
The first ever
CRAFT WHILE YOU TONE UP EXERCISE VIDEO/DVD!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I finally broke down and ordered my Wizard from Spellbinders on July 8th. The order is still in processing and I was wondering why. Now I know. I just wish they would email me with an update:rolleyes: Man, I really want my machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Yesterday, Ellen Hutson announced on her blog that the recall was related to the plates, not the Wizard itself. You can see what she said for those that have ordered/received the Wizard here. It's discussed in the middle of the page. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by garkarlonView Post
Yesterday, Ellen Hutson announced on her blog that the recall was related to the plates, not the Wizard itself. You can see what she said for those that have ordered/received the Wizard here. It's discussed in the middle of the page. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info. I received the Wizard and the initial email that there was a problem but no follow up. I will send them an email to find out what I should do with my new wizard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
I read somewhere that the new one has a tendency to smash cuttlebug folders - don't know if that is true or not. Has anyone tried the folders with their new one?
I received my Wizard las Saturday and everything worked in it except the Cuttlebug folders; they would not go through the machine at all. Then I noticed the thick, white plates were warped. So I contact Spellbinders; they asked me which machine I had and I told them the new raspberry one. A another day passed and I got an email from them telling me to return it that there was a manufacting problem. Beth at Ellen Hutson emailed and said that they had the same problem with the cuttlebug folders and tried using the thick, white plates from the purple machine and the new machined worked. So it may be the plates rather than the machine itself.

Saundra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Default Nestibilites

You can use the Nestibilities with the Big Kick, Big Shot or Cuddle Bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

First let me correct my spelling. I took the wizard for a whirl not a whorl. Second, I have received a very nice email from Ellen Hutson about the wizard and it's problems (the plates). All are optimistic the the problem will be resolved in a month or two. Until then I may try to use the cuttlebug with the dies, but I'm still a little sore from yesterday's work out so maybe I'll just color today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #21  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

i had preordered my wizard from UCut@home. I didn't realize it was the plates and not the machine... I could have just bought the old plates sigh... oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for my new toy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

If anybody is still looking for a Wizard - I am going to sell mine. It was one of the original ones made. I added the long handle because it was easier to use. I have the pads, plates that go with it. If anybody is interested let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Stamprcyn, I just sent you a PM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

May I hijack? I'm asking because I'm having trouble finding folks who have the Wizard; it seems everyone loves the Cuttlebug. I've been searching through the threads, looking for information on the Wizard. I just ordered some Nestabilities and don't know if I should buy the Wizard or the CB.

I asked the eBay seller who sold me the Nesties if she ever gets the Wizard, and she said "Why? The CB is terrific and so much cheaper"

Specifically, I want the embossing and can afford the Wizard (at least until I have to fill up my car again) - is there an advantage to buying the machine the dies were designed for? I understand the Wizard is steel, whereas I THINK the CB is plastic - is that right?

Can you tell me what other considerations I may be missing in a comparison? Again, I apologize for hijacking the thread, but your help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sarah (Kegbo)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegboView Post
May I hijack? I'm asking because I'm having trouble finding folks who have the Wizard; it seems everyone loves the Cuttlebug. I've been searching through the threads, looking for information on the Wizard. I just ordered some Nestabilities and don't know if I should buy the Wizard or the CB.

I asked the eBay seller who sold me the Nesties if she ever gets the Wizard, and she said "Why? The CB is terrific and so much cheaper"

Specifically, I want the embossing and can afford the Wizard (at least until I have to fill up my car again) - is there an advantage to buying the machine the dies were designed for? I understand the Wizard is steel, whereas I THINK the CB is plastic - is that right?

Can you tell me what other considerations I may be missing in a comparison? Again, I apologize for hijacking the thread, but your help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sarah (Kegbo)
I just happened to come across this thread & I can tell you the problem is with the plates and Not the machine. I was at CHA and believe me we gave those babies a workout!!

Sarah, you asked about the Wizard and if there is an advantage to buying the machine the dies were designed for...the answer is simple...Yes! The Spellbinders dies were made for the Wizard and therefore you will get the best results using the Wizard. I have personally never used a CB but I have seen a side by side comparison with the CB & the Wizard and there was a Huge difference in the embossing. The Wizard is made of steel and has 3000 lbs. of pressure. Here are some of the things you can do with the Wizard and Spellbinders dies--cut, emboss, stencil, brass stencils, foil & metals, leather, wood, chipboard, bottle caps, charms & flower pounding just to name a few. You can also use dies and embossing folders from other companies in the Wizard. The Wizard and the Spellbinders dies are universal. HTH! If you have any other question please feel free to PM me.

Smiles!
Heidi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Can't wait to see the before and after pics of your 'fit' arms while you use your new wizard. YOU ARE TOTALLY FUNNY!! Oh by the way I was deciding between the cuttlebug or the Wizard. The cuttlebug is looking better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no affiliation with Spellbinders and (sadly!!) own both the cuttlebug and the Wizard. The wizard produces deeper embossing, but the cuttlebug is easier to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:11 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Has anybody heard an update on the timeframe for the revised Wizard packages shipping? Of course I gave my mom my Cuttlebug to justify my purchase, so now I'm totally without a machine. :-(

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

The email I got from Spellbinders yesterday said they hope to start shipping the Wizard out by the end of August. :shock:

I am really bummed that I have to wait that long but I know it will be worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another question if I may - What is the difference between the red Wizard and the new rasberry one? The red is older, so the plates wouldn't be a problem, right? Are there sweet new features with the rasberry that makes it a better purchase?

Thanks,
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegboView Post
Another question if I may - What is the difference between the red Wizard and the new rasberry one? The red is older, so the plates wouldn't be a problem, right? Are there sweet new features with the rasberry that makes it a better purchase?

Thanks,
Sarah
The new one is supposed to be easier to use. Here's another thread about the Wizard Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Smiles,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #32  
Inking Addict

If you have the Spellbinder dies, know that they work great in a Cuttlebug. I've been playing for the past couple of weeks with this new 'toy'...lovin' it! Sorry y'all are havin problems with the Wizard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also have a Wizard I am going to sell. It has been used a couple of times other than that it is like brand new. I also have the charm kit to go with it. Was wondering if anyone was interested? Would love to find it a better home.
PM if you are interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

The only dies I have are the square and rectangle nesties. Although I can see maybe buying an alphabet in the future, I'm not a scrapper and don't care for the embossed backgrounds (except Swiss dots - that looks neat). I wanted the Wizard only because I like the idea of metal vs. plastic, and 3,000lb of pressure sounds good, and finally - if the only product I'll use are the nesties, then I thought it would be best if I used the machine they were designed for. Hopefully I wouldn't have to mess around with buying mats and trying different sanwiches.

All that said, however - I'm much disappointed in Spellbinders communication. There is nothing on their website and their email reply to my request for expected dates was short and not terribly descriptive (SHOULD receive and ship by end of September).

I would think they'd be falling all over themselves to convince us theirs is the better product and to wait for it. Instead, nothing. I may look at the CB again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I was originally going to buy the Wizard, but now I'm glad I went with the BigShot. The guy at Archiver's said it was harder to figure out the "sandwiches" for the Wizard and the Big Shot comes with a cheat sheet and everything you need. I've had it for a few months and use Sizzix, Cuttlebug, and Nesties and haven't had a problem with any. You can emboss, cut or do whatever to whatever material (thick or thin) with very little effort. Good luck to everyone figuring it all out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Default Refund on Spellbinders Wizard

I was soooo excited to receive my new Wizard machine from Overstock at 20% off and free shipping! It was a gift dictated to my husband, of course. I watched videos on how to use this heavy-duty machine and ordered lots of die cuts and embossing folders, etc. I really thought it was me when no amount of strength could get a sandwich to go through the rollers. So, I went online and came across basurok, Loretta's statement regarding a recall of the Wizard. A store online said the same. I had to repack the whole thing after having a live chat with a non-crafter regarding the recall. Well, at least I'll get a full refund. Any ideas about which system to buy next? Cuttlebug?
redanneinfla. Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Big Shot would be good. Cuttlebug is good too...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

All the dies work in the Big Shot. I have not had any problems with mine. All the old sizzix dies work with the Big shot. I use CB, nestabilities, quickzcut, and boss dies. All come out very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

LOL! Your description of your experience completely caught me off guard and now I am in the throes of a giggling fit!!!! LOL! wrestling a wolverine!!! LOL! Two cards a day and you'll be fit and trim by August!!! LOL!! What an absolutely marvelous sense of humor. You really made my day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassyScrapperView Post
LOL! Your description of your experience completely caught me off guard and now I am in the throes of a giggling fit!!!! LOL! wrestling a wolverine!!! LOL! Two cards a day and you'll be fit and trim by August!!! LOL!! What an absolutely marvelous sense of humor. You really made my day!!
Glad you had a little laugh. I've been trying to tame this beast since the summer - care to arm wrestle?
Reply With Quote Likes