Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spellbinders Wizard

I just got a Spellbinders Wizard. I couldn't wait to get one but now I am very disappointed because when I cut a shape out, I am also getting the emboss impression on it. I called the company and spoke to someone who couldn't figure out what the problem could be. She then had me speak to another person in the company. Unfortunately, that person not only couldn't figure out what the problem was but she was also quite curt with me. She said that she didn't know what to tell me and that after all, there is 3,000 pounds of pressure. She said she would talk to the designer of the machine and get back to me. Yes, I know that the machine has 3,000 pounds of pressure, but you shouldn't get an embossed impression when you cut. You should only get an embossed impression when you use the tan emoss pad. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do about it?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the same problem with my Wizard. I tried everything under the sun to cut a shape without embossing it as well. I finally gave up on that machine and have since move to the Cuttlebug. The cuts are perfect.

Another gripe that I have about the Wizard is that the sandwich shoots out after it is cranked through the machine. Nothing like getting it in the gut with 2 slabs of plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollyberry926View Post
I have the same problem with my Wizard. I tried everything under the sun to cut a shape without embossing it as well. I finally gave up on that machine and have since move to the Cuttlebug. The cuts are perfect.

Another gripe that I have about the Wizard is that the sandwich shoots out after it is cranked through the machine. Nothing like getting it in the gut with 2 slabs of plastic.
I had to laugh at your comment. For the longest time I was tempted to purchase a wizard but reading the "2 slabs of plastic to the gut" really made me reconsider. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollyberry926View Post

Your post had me in tears. Sorry to laugh at you "getting it in the gut with 2 slabs of plastic", but that statement just cracked me up.

Thankfully, I've never had that happen with the Cuttlebug!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I have the same trouble with the Wizard. I purchased mine right before the recall. The on line site I purchased it from has gone out of their way to help me. But it is like a wild beast. I look at the video that comes with it. It's so simple so easy to use. I would love for what's her name in the video to try and demo the machine I have. You have to hang on to it, fight it, work up a sweat to cut one image. You really have to hang onto the plates as they exit the machine, they can do some damage. And right after the recall there was a promise from Spellbinders of re-engineered plates, but that was a lie. Every once in a while I pull it out as part of my physical fitness program. But on a weak day I use the Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I dream about diecu&embossing machine, and have a dilemma, I've read about your problems with Wizard, but I want to ask you, is Cuttlebug large enough to use all Nestabilities with it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Absolutely! The Cuttlebug will cute them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have managed to get a clean cut without the embossed part with the Wizard. It is hit or miss.

In all honesty, the version I have is a weapon of mass destruction! Hold onto those plates as they exit the machine or you are in for quite an experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I haven't tried to cut without embossing using my Nesties and Wizard, so I can't speak to that, but I love the durability compared to the Cuttlebug. When I used my Cuttlebug I was always worried I would break it by putting something too thick through it. There was also the issue of having to replace the B plates. If I put something too thick in my Wizard I can take it apart, unstick the sandwich, and put it back together. It was a bit of a learning experience at first to get the sandwiches to catch, but now it's quick and easy. I don't understand the big deal about guiding the sandwich out instead of letting it fly, but that's how I am. The durability is worth it to me. Sorry to hear it's not the tool of choice for others. I think that's why there are so many different machines out there. You're bound to find one you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both. I love them for different things. The wizard, imho, is more durable and the cuttlebug is easier for me to use.
I do not have any problem with the plates shooting out, I just grip them with the non-cranking hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris86View Post
I dream about diecu&embossing machine, and have a dilemma, I've read about your problems with Wizard, but I want to ask you, is Cuttlebug large enough to use all Nestabilities with it?
My friend had the CB, and it wasn't quite big enough to do all of the things I wanted it to do. I opted instead for the BS, and I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

thats why i use the revolution never have to worry about sandwiching or any thing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have had the same problem with the paper getting embossed when I just wanted to cut. I use the tan emboss mat instead of the spacer plate and that usually does the trick. I have to shim it with 1 piece of cardstock to get a complete cut.
I am very disappointed though, that the Wizard doesn't perform as advertised. When I use the spacer plate to cut, the die ends up completely embedded in the cut plate, and the paper is slightly embossed to boot!! I have a CB, so maybe I should try cutting with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am another person that is really unhappy with my Wizard. I could never figure out how to get the dern thing to work so I put it in the closet and just kept using my Cuttlebug. I had such high hopes for the Wizard. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually like the fact that it cuts AND embosses in one pass. I think my projects look more finished that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a thought - if your cardstock isn't already textured, have you tried passing the die cut through blindly without a die? just to flatten? I did this with a card a glittered the other week just to ensure it was set and was pleased (time was of the essence) so no books to weigh it down for a week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I have managed to get a clean cut without the embossed part with the Wizard. It is hit or miss.

In all honesty, the version I have is a weapon of mass destruction! Hold onto those plates as they exit the machine or you are in for quite an experience.

Oh, Joan. Ya' KILL me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

3000 lbs of pressure sounds very unsafe to me!
I love my Bug, and I have a Revolution on the way, just for my Nesties.

https://momomakes.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe I should have read this thread sooner, I just placed an order Friday for a wizard......so who knows I may have to buy me a breastplate for safety.
Susie

My Blog: http://susiestampr.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I love my Wizard. Yes, 3000 lbs is a lot, but the Wizard makes the best impression, IMHO.

Center the die on the mats, and slow down the cranking as you reach the end of the sandwich. Put your left hand on the mats as they exit the machine.

They have a new website and a new blog with tutorials and photos. See the videos on line and the blog post.

If you have a recalled machine, call Spellbinders for replacement mats. That could be the reason you have an impression when you cut. Some thicker papers will also slightly emboss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth PView Post
I love my Wizard. Yes, 3000 lbs is a lot, but the Wizard makes the best impression, IMHO.

Center the die on the mats, and slow down the cranking as you reach the end of the sandwich. Put your left hand on the mats as they exit the machine.

They have a new website and a new blog with tutorials and photos. See the videos on line and the blog post.

If you have a recalled machine, call Spellbinders for replacement mats. That could be the reason you have an impression when you cut. Some thicker papers will also slightly emboss.
I would love to love my wizard. But it is just mean. Even when I hold the mats as they exit, they shoot out with such force it causes the rollers to reverse. As for the replacement mats, I was informed they were not replacing the mats and I was sent a Charm Embossing Kit Magnetic Pad.

If I plan I using the wizard for any project, I have to get a good nights sleep the night before and do some warm up stretching first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post
I would love to love my wizard. But it is just mean. Even when I hold the mats as they exit, they shoot out with such force it causes the rollers to reverse. As for the replacement mats, I was informed they were not replacing the mats and I was sent a Charm Embossing Kit Magnetic Pad.

If I plan I using the wizard for any project, I have to get a good nights sleep the night before and do some warm up stretching first.
Really? That made me giggle - no stretches here, and I use it daily. ;) Seriously, though, as funny as that may be, I don't find it to be true at all. I find it easier to use than any other die cut machine I've used (and I've used nearly all of them). I also prefer the consistency and love the versatility that the other brands can't really touch! Plus, no more annoying broken B plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennelfView Post
Really? That made me giggle - no stretches here, and I use it daily. ;) Seriously, though, as funny as that may be, I don't find it to be true at all. I find it easier to use than any other die cut machine I've used (and I've used nearly all of them). I also prefer the consistency and love the versatility that the other brands can't really touch! Plus, no more annoying broken B plates.
Seriously??!! Are you the owner of the Spellbinders company or just own a lot of stock???? FWIW, I've NEVER broken/replaced a B plate or any other plate for my CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappykatView Post
Seriously??!! Are you the owner of the Spellbinders company or just own a lot of stock???? FWIW, I've NEVER broken/replaced a B plate or any other plate for my CB.
Not the owner, but I am on the DT (for which I tried out for due to my passion for the product). I will also admit that I'm a bit more adventurous with what materials I die cut, so yes, I really have broken several B plates. I know I'm not alone with the broken B's, so I guess you have been lucky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Not the owner, but I am on the DT (for which I tried out for due to my passion for the product). I will also admit that I'm a bit more adventurous with what materials I die cut, so yes, I really have broken several B plates. I know I'm not alone with the broken B's, so I guess you have been lucky!

Not lucky---I just don't force something thru that is too thick---I take it out and adjust the sandwich---pretty much just use common sense ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Actually, I've had it happen with things that aren't too thick, craft metal, for instance. But I appreciate where you're coming from!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I'm not maiking this stuff up. I invite you to drop in and try the Wizard that was sold to me. It is a Beast! I used it to make 5 tags, 10 die cut runs for a two layer tag. Took me 45 min, and I had to open the window because I had started to work up a sweat. It doesn't even come close to working as easily as the one in the DVD. Don't even go down the operator error road, I can change a tire, replace a door knob, repair the hand that broke off the wooden santa - all faster than making 10 die cuts,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bethvbView Post
I'm not maiking this stuff up. I invite you to drop in and try the Wizard that was sold to me.
Well, I probably live closer to you than Jenn ;) and I've actually got a couple of teaching engagements in New Jersey in February. If you have ever heard of an SDV (Scrappers Dream VAcation), I will be at their Long Branch, NJ events in February. I don' t know if that is close to your location or not. But it's worth a try.

Also, in January I will be at Creative Inkling in Lahaska, PA, if that is closer, teaching some Copic card classes for the day.

Send me a PM if either location works. I'd be happy to give your machine a workout with ya. I truly believe that a quick lesson could help and get the machine working beautifully for you. I usually have free time in the evenings for 'playing', or perhaps between class.

And to stave off a negative reply from anyone that isn't having a good day, NO I don't own the company, nor stock, and my DT gig is over at the end of the month sooooo perhaps it is because I truly would like to help and not have my offer of assistance viewed as anything but that. :confused:

The Wizard is the most durable machine on the market, and it has always met my expectations, for paper, embossing metal and stiffened fabric. I want more than a CB can provide (though I love their embossing folders, which I use all the time).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Question HOw do you know if you have a recalled machine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth PView Post

I wasn't even aware there was a recall when I purchased mine. How do I know? Advice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ladies,

I'm also trying to be helpful...return the Wizards (if they don't work as advertised the company should take them back, shouldn't they?)and try the Cuttlebug or Big Shot---you don't need to be a rocket scientist to make those work right out of the box ;)

I work at an LSS and we sell lots of the nesties and other Spellbinders dies. I LOVE the Nestabilities and they work great, but the machine is a nightmare--sorry :confused:

There was a stamp store in town (since closed) that carried the Wizard machine. She tried demoing it for my friend and me and even she couldn't get it to work (she was embarrassed and I felt bad for her, as I've been in that situation ---we carry some stuff that's just crap). She soon stopped carrying them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry if some of these posts made me laugh! I had always used my Nesties in my Cuttlebug and it left a slight embossed impression depending on the cardstock thickness. Now I have a BigShot which is so easy to use.

I cracked many a B plate in my Cuttlebug, followed the directions with the tan mats, got half way thru when it cracked, no forcing. So far I haven't cracked any plates on my BigShot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, I have used the Wizard since 2004 and it is definitely my favorite. The only time it ever "shoots out" is if I have a very thick sandwich in there (I experiment a lot!) but I use my machine side to side (switch hands on the crank as I go....I just prefer that way), so if I didn't have my hand on it and it ever did shoot out, it goes to the side and never at me. I can say that has happened very seldom.
I do own a Cuttlebug, a Sizzix, a Sidekick and I like the Wizard as I feel it is the sturdiest, lightest in weight, wider in width and smallest in size of the bigger machines so it is much more convenient to grab and use.
I hope anyone who is unhappy with their machine will get more info and give it another try....obviously there are those of us that love them and use them all the time. All the same, there are things I do not like about the Sizzix and Cuttlebug, but I don't try to trash those machines....I am sure there are people that love those too. Sometimes it is just a matter of personal preference based on your own experience (that might be very limited), so don't be too quick to shout a negative exclamation of something until you have explored all the possiblilties. I certainly would not come on here and say that Stampin' Up stuff was crap....that would be kind of dumb, wouldn't it? (calm down, I like SU! stuff.....I just don't like some of their practices, but that is just my own opinion and I just keep it to myself)
If you have a question, ask it ....there are people happy to help....that will work a lot better than throwing daggars. Ok, getting off my soapbox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the plates will launch out of the Wizard with a lot of force. But as Jen said, if you take your left hand and hold the sandwich as you near the end of the cranking, that will catch it. I've forgotten once or twice and caught a sandwich in the ribs, but once you forget once it doesn't happen again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I enjoy using my Wizard now. If you had asked me when I first tried using it I would not have recommended it to my worst enemy. I don't know if practice made it easier to use, or if I loosened it up. Either way, I recommend working with it/threatening to throw it across the room for a few hours before giving up on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Math ChickView Post
I wasn't even aware there was a recall when I purchased mine. How do I know? Advice?
The recall was in the summer, around June/July.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=inkyheart;12386469]Well, I probably live closer to you than Jenn ;) and I've actually got a couple of teaching engagements in New Jersey in February. If you have ever heard of an SDV (Scrappers Dream VAcation), I will be at their Long Branch, NJ events in February. I don' t know if that is close to your location or not. But it's worth a try.

I sent you a PM. I've never heard of SDV but I'm just three towns down Ocean Ave from Long Branch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 05:14 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

I have the wizard and love it, yes, it took a LOT of learning to work with it, but it is better now, I found something I was doing that I didn't realize was a problem was not centering my spacer plate in the middle of my mats. It was causing the sandwich to shoot out more. when I make sure the plate is centered in the middle it just kind of glides out if I am not doing too thick of a sandwich.
I do have a problem with some of my cardstock being embossed, but this is mostly due to my using the heavy weight card stocks, SU, PTI, etc. most of the time it is not noticable by anyone but me.

I have shown my mom and quite a few others how to use the machine without having so many problems. I also just ordered the bigger spacer plate and longer cutting mats, haven't had time to play with them, but will after I finish all the holiday ornaments I am doing. Made one for the kids to give the teachers completely using the wizard and nestabilities dies, along with a stamped and colored image. :-) I will upload pictures when I am done with them.

Lisa C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I've just found this thread and was going to get on my own soap box, but I won't bother after reading yours. I've tried several machines and love my Wizard. Yes, I have to catch the sandwich when it comes out, but it only took it shooting at me once to know to catch it. I use it for everything from flattening bottle caps to dry emossing brass templates. I've also had mine since 2004 and absolutely love it, but it everyone has their own preferances.

Angie

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollycraftView Post
Well, I have used the Wizard since 2004 and it is definitely my favorite. The only time it ever "shoots out" is if I have a very thick sandwich in there (I experiment a lot!) but I use my machine side to side (switch hands on the crank as I go....I just prefer that way), so if I didn't have my hand on it and it ever did shoot out, it goes to the side and never at me. I can say that has happened very seldom.
I do own a Cuttlebug, a Sizzix, a Sidekick and I like the Wizard as I feel it is the sturdiest, lightest in weight, wider in width and smallest in size of the bigger machines so it is much more convenient to grab and use.
I hope anyone who is unhappy with their machine will get more info and give it another try....obviously there are those of us that love them and use them all the time. All the same, there are things I do not like about the Sizzix and Cuttlebug, but I don't try to trash those machines....I am sure there are people that love those too. Sometimes it is just a matter of personal preference based on your own experience (that might be very limited), so don't be too quick to shout a negative exclamation of something until you have explored all the possiblilties. I certainly would not come on here and say that Stampin' Up stuff was crap....that would be kind of dumb, wouldn't it? (calm down, I like SU! stuff.....I just don't like some of their practices, but that is just my own opinion and I just keep it to myself)
If you have a question, ask it ....there are people happy to help....that will work a lot better than throwing daggars. Ok, getting off my soapbox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntangieView Post
I've just found this thread and was going to get on my own soap box, but I won't bother after reading yours. I've tried several machines and love my Wizard. Yes, I have to catch the sandwich when it comes out, but it only took it shooting at me once to know to catch it. I use it for everything from flattening bottle caps to dry emossing brass templates. I've also had mine since 2004 and absolutely love it, but it everyone has their own preferances.

Angie
From the research I have done the older Wizards are wonderful! The problem lies with the new Wizards that were manufactured in the summer, the raspberry wizards. The manufacturer recalled them and pulled them off the shelf because of the problems. I received mine the day the recall info came out. I was given the option of sending back the Wizard I had received or wait for redesigned plates. I chose to wait. My Mistake. There are no new plates. So the people that are having difficulties have the new machine and the people that love their Wizards most likely have the older model.

However I did notice on the website there is now a new video on the use of the Wizard with slightly different instructions than the DVD that came with my Wizard. Once the Christmas madness is over I plan on trying my Wizard with the new and improved instructions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Ya'll have me rolling!! I have a wizard and do like it. As I get near the edge of the platform, I crack more slowly and put my hand on the plates. Another thing I do is put a piece of the rubber shelf liner (that keeps things for moving around) and put in under the wizard when I use it. I alway sit down when I use it rather than standing up like I do when I use my Zippy Mate. I had ordered the Wizard just before the recall and had a horrible time with the machine and ended up sending it back. The new one works great. I don't use the cuttlebug folders in it because the pressure of the machine leaves lines (the lines are part of the molding process of creating the cuttlebug folder) on the image. The "lines" do not appear when I use the zippy mate to emboss.
Reply With Quote Likes