Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #321  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
The write-up says that the one with holes to thread ribbon through cuts on both sides and the other one cuts on only one side. Is that wrong?
Nope! You and Jen are both right!! I went back and read the description myself on Spellbinders' website ... the wavy die cuts both edges, but the zig-zag one cuts on one edge and embosses the other. Totally missed that!! Sorry ladies!!
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #322  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

By the way, Jen ... your p/m box is full gf!! I tried to send you the following message, but it wouldn't go through ...

'Before I had actually come back on the Nestabilities thread to see your responses I went back to Spellbinders' website to double-check my answer about the zig-zag Borderabilities die ... I TOTALLY biffed my answer!! I am sooo sorry about the misinformation! I don't actually have this particular die and did a "look before ya leap" kinda thing!!

On a side note, your new avie look fantabulous!!"
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #323  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Cutting & Embossing in One Step

After much trial-and-error, frustration, and cursing :oops:, I've finally come up with a sandwich that works for me when I want to cut and emboss my Spellbinders dies in one step when using my Big Kick. Keep in mind that this does not produce an extremely deep embossing, but it is definitely noticeable enough for me. In addition to the usual materials, you will need a magnet sheet. It is just the right thickness, and it keeps the dies from sliding around. I bought one at Michael's for a few dollars. Here is the sandwich, from top to bottom:

Clear Mat
Cardstock/Paper (face-down)
Die (blade-up)
Magnet Sheet
Clear Mat
Multi-Purpose Platform

You might try adding a cardstock shim, but it was too thick for my comfort. I don't like forcing things through my BK. I hope this works as well for you as it does for me. (I will be cross-posting this in the Big Shot forum.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #324  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell me more about the magnetic sheet. who makes it? so I can find it at Michael's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #325  
Insane Embellisher

Also what size and thickness is the magnetic sheet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #326  
Glitter Guru

It's called Adhes-A-Mag, and I found it in the general crafts section of Michael's. It measures 5 x 8 inches, and it's almost exactly the same thickness as the MPP Tab 1 (all by itself). That's .45mm or .0175 in. The other side is an adhesive, but you don't have to peel off the backing. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #327  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my eye on the Borderabilities On the Vine die for sometime but I don't have the long mats. Will it still work okay with the regular sized CB cutting plates if I only cut portions of it. I'd not use it as a long strip, but would be cutting it down to smaller parts. I don't want to have to buy long plates just for one die.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #328  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
I've had my eye on the Borderabilities On the Vine die for sometime but I don't have the long mats. Will it still work okay with the regular sized CB cutting plates if I only cut portions of it. I'd not use it as a long strip, but would be cutting it down to smaller parts. I don't want to have to buy long plates just for one die.

Thanks.
Yes, it will work, you can actually get the full 12" cut out by simply running 1/2 of the die through your CB, then slide the die on the plate to the uncut part and run through again. Repeat to emboss using the embossing sandwich.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #329  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimInIowaView Post
Yes, it will work, you can actually get the full 12" cut out by simply running 1/2 of the die through your CB, then slide the die on the plate to the uncut part and run through again. Repeat to emboss using the embossing sandwich.

Kim
Thanks for that. I'll go and add it to my shopping cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #330  
Glitter Guru

Hi ladies. Just a quick "You're welcome" to all of you wonderful ladies who have PM'd me to thank me and ask for more details. I hope this sandwich is working as well for you as it is for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #331  
Kookie Creator

I have a cuddlebug. I know some die cut machines come with a magnet sheet that helps hold a spellbinder's die in place on the paper. Would this Adhes-A-Mag work this way?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #332  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
After much trial-and-error, frustration, and cursing :oops:, I've finally come up with a sandwich that works for me when I want to cut and emboss my Spellbinders dies in one step when using my Big Kick. Keep in mind that this does not produce an extremely deep embossing, but it is definitely noticeable enough for me. In addition to the usual materials, you will need a magnet sheet. It is just the right thickness, and it keeps the dies from sliding around. I bought one at Michael's for a few dollars. Here is the sandwich, from top to bottom:

Clear Mat
Cardstock/Paper (face-down)
Die (blade-up)
Magnet Sheet
Clear Mat
Multi-Purpose Platform

You might try adding a cardstock shim, but it was too thick for my comfort. I don't like forcing things through my BK. I hope this works as well for you as it does for me. (I will be cross-posting this in the Big Shot forum.)
I find this interesting as I was told that we couldn't use a magnet sheet or actually the "spellbinders magnet mat" with the Bigshot/Big Kicks. I have been using sticky notes to hold my nesties. I will have to look for this magnet mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #333  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
I have a cuddlebug. I know some die cut machines come with a magnet sheet that helps hold a spellbinder's die in place on the paper. Would this Adhes-A-Mag work this way?
I think so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #334  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
I find this interesting as I was told that we couldn't use a magnet sheet or actually the "spellbinders magnet mat" with the Bigshot/Big Kicks. I have been using sticky notes to hold my nesties. I will have to look for this magnet mat.
I don't know very much about the Spellbinders magnet mat, but that's what gave me the idea to try this. I have absolutely no problem using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #335  
Insane Embellisher

Tim holtz dies are much wider then sizzix dies (even though they are made by sizzix). So if you have the original red sizzix they dont fit! Just a FYI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #336  
Glitter Queen

Default Wizard and Sizzix Bigz XL Die?

Hi,
I have a purple Spellbinders Wizard and recently got the Sizzix Bigz XL "matchbox" die from Stampin Up. My problem is that the Sizzix cutting pad I got with the Wizard is not long enough to cut even one piece of the matchbox. I tried a Sizzix Extended cutting pad, but it is about 1/4 inch to wide to go into the Wizard.

I checked with Spellbinders and Sizzix and they were of no help.

I was wondering if any of you might have a solution for me.

I thought about trying to sand one edge of the extended pad down, but I'm not sure I can sand it enough to get it to fit.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #337  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaJBView Post
Hi,
I have a purple Spellbinders Wizard and recently got the Sizzix Bigz XL "matchbox" die from Stampin Up. My problem is that the Sizzix cutting pad I got with the Wizard is not long enough to cut even one piece of the matchbox. I tried a Sizzix Extended cutting pad, but it is about 1/4 inch to wide to go into the Wizard.

I thought about trying to sand one edge of the extended pad down, but I'm not sure I can sand it enough to get it to fit.

Thanks,
What is the sandwich you typically use with the Wizard when you use the thick steel rule Sizzix dies? Is it two clear plates?

Cuttlebug now has extended plates that are not too wide to fit through the Cuttlebug, made to be used with the longer Sizzix XL dies. I'm not sure if those would work in the Wizard or not (I have a Sizzix Big Kick) but it would be worth looking into.

Also, before CB came out with their extended plates, they used two clear plates for the Big Shot/Big Kick and shaved a 1/4" off the one side, so they would fit through. You could try that, maybe?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #338  
Stampin' Fool

THANKS! Wow...you should get some kind of award for this. Compiling all this info I'm sure was a very time consuming task. You're obviously a very nice person. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #339  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks,
What you can use in place of the Sizzix mat that came with your Wizard is a Fiskar's or Olfa self healing cutting mat cut down to the size you need. Even though it is soft as opposed to the Sizzix mat, it will work perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #340  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
What is the sandwich you typically use with the Wizard when you use the thick steel rule Sizzix dies? Is it two clear plates?

Cuttlebug now has extended plates that are not too wide to fit through the Cuttlebug, made to be used with the longer Sizzix XL dies. I'm not sure if those would work in the Wizard or not (I have a Sizzix Big Kick) but it would be worth looking into.

Also, before CB came out with their extended plates, they used two clear plates for the Big Shot/Big Kick and shaved a 1/4" off the one side, so they would fit through. You could try that, maybe?

Thanks so much, I'll check the sizes before I buy any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #341  
Glitter Queen

Cathy,

I never would have thought of that. I even happen to have an extra one that I picked up at a discount store.

Thanks ever so much, Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #342  

I just bought my first impressability and have one question. Do I need the floppy tan mats to use my stencil in my old sizzix machine????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #343  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessdi69View Post
I just bought my first impressability and have one question. Do I need the floppy tan mats to use my stencil in my old sizzix machine????

I know that when I use my Spellbinders Impressabilities in my Wizard, I have to use my tan embossing pad, because you must have something pliable to press the cardstock into the openings of the metal impressabilitie. I have used Fun Foam instead of the tan mat and it works pretty well too.

I've also been told by Spellbinders that when embossing something like these or other texture plates, you can prepare the cardstock by LIGHTLY misting water or a product called Paper Glide on it. I haven't been able to find any Paper Glide, but have tried it with water. It breaks down the fibers in the cardstock. Make sure you spray lightly, because too much can cause the paper to warp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #344  
Glitter Queen

I was able to find another solution for my Wizard and Sizzix Bigz die. My local window/glass shop cut a piece of polycarbonate to fit and it works great.

Now, I have another question about using a Sizzix Sizzlitts "Happy Birthday #3" low profile die, in my Wizard.
I have the sandwich recipe from Spellbinders of:
White cut mat,
paper,
Sizzlits low profile die,
white emboss mat

But when I do this, the die doesn't cut out the complete design. It may cut some of the design, but only embosses the rest of it. I've tried shimming it with different types of cardstock, mats, etc. The best results I get is by adding a chip-board shim made from a cookie box front to this recipe, but even that only gives me partial cuts. I can't get anything thicker to go through my Wizard.

I have a Cuttle Bug low profile die and it works great with the Spellbinders recipe.

Any Help???

Thanks, Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #345  

Quote:

I know that when I use my Spellbinders Impressabilities in my Wizard, I have to use my tan embossing pad, because you must have something pliable to press the cardstock into the openings of the metal impressabilitie. I have used Fun Foam instead of the tan mat and it works pretty well too.

I've also been told by Spellbinders that when embossing something like these or other texture plates, you can prepare the cardstock by LIGHTLY misting water or a product called Paper Glide on it. I haven't been able to find any Paper Glide, but have tried it with water. It breaks down the fibers in the cardstock. Make sure you spray lightly, because too much can cause the paper to warp.
Oh good to know. Thank you so much for answering my question...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #346  

Unfortunately I was unable to get my Impressability to work with my original Sizzix. I bought two thickness of foam sheets and neither worked. Any other suggestions???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #347  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
I've got the "old" Wizard and have never had a magnetic mat for mine. I just use a tiny piece of low tack painter's tape to hold the dies where I want to cut on my paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #348  
Cardstock Collector

Default Does anyone know when the new designs are coming out?

I saw new designs for Spellbinders at CHA and I haven't seen them in stores yet. Um, I think I'm accidentally replying to someone instead of starting a new thread? Sorry, I'm a new user and still learning!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #349  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mod Podge AmyView Post
I saw new designs for Spellbinders at CHA and I haven't seen them in stores yet. Um, I think I'm accidentally replying to someone instead of starting a new thread? Sorry, I'm a new user and still learning!

Amy
Amy,
Which designs from CHA are you looking for? Some are still on pre-order and some are in online stores now. Let us know which ones and I can help you hunt them down, ok?

Welcome to Splitcoast Stampers!! Just holler if you have any questions, we're here to help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #350  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessdi69View Post
Unfortunately I was unable to get my Impressability to work with my original Sizzix. I bought two thickness of foam sheets and neither worked. Any other suggestions???
Like I said, I have the purple Wizard and I know that has lots of pressure, I'm not sure about the Sizzix. I do know that the impression I get with the impressabilities is pretty light since it is a very thin die. The misting helps make it a little deeper, I also use a lighter weight cs with these.

I would recommend you contact Spellbinders Customer Service, they are great, and may be able to help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #351  
Kookie Creator

Help!! I made my sandwhich too thick and it's totally stuck :( I accidentally put the white cutting mat with the die and then the tan mat too. All three which was way to thick but I was being Stuck on stupid and forced it through anyway and now it's stuck... Whaa! is there anything that I can do to save my machine? It's the Raspberry version that I have. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #352  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Angela-
What are you trying to emboss?
Your machine allows for you to use the white master mats, die, *and* the embossing pad- That's how I use it all the time.
There is a switch to reverse on the handle, did you try that?

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #353  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
Angela-
What are you trying to emboss?
Your machine allows for you to use the white master mats, die, *and* the embossing pad- That's how I use it all the time.
There is a switch to reverse on the handle, did you try that?
Hi thanks for replying! I was not embossing just used too many items at once. I have the 2 main sandwich folders with the white cutting mate, 1 pcs of paper the circle dye then the tan emboss mat. It was too thick going through but I muscled it and started it in, anyway I forgot how to use it it had been so long since the last time i used it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #354  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Well, you can use both white mats, your die with paper, and the tan mat-

or both the white mats, magnetic mat, & dies with paper. Neither are not going to be too much for it-

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #355  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Hi thanks for replying! I was not embossing just used too many items at once. I have the 2 main sandwich folders with the white cutting mate, 1 pcs of paper the circle dye then the tan emboss mat. It was too thick going through but I muscled it and started it in, anyway I forgot how to use it it had been so long since the last time i used it
LOL! Been there, done that. You should be able to push the button and reverse it out. When I did that it put dents in the white cutting mat, but nothing else seemed to be damaged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #356  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntangieView Post
LOL! Been there, done that. You should be able to push the button and reverse it out. When I did that it put dents in the white cutting mat, but nothing else seemed to be damaged.
Hi Angie~ Thanks for replying. But I have tried the reverse button. and am I suppose to pull/push the other way at the same time? It does not seem to be working for me :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #357  
Stazon Splitcoast

You should be able to push the button and then crank the same way you had been. It should push the sandwich back out the side you started it in from. If that doesn't work you may have to contact Spellbinders. I've had very good luck when I have emailed for customer service.

Last edited by auntangie; 10-10-2010 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: clarify explanation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #358  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntangieView Post
You should be able to push the button and then crank the same way you had been. It should push the sandwich back out the side you started it in from. If that doesn't work you may have to contact Spellbinders. I've had very good luck when I have emailed for customer service.
Thank you yes, I think the sandwich is so think the rollers are stuck. I will most likely have to contact spellbinders. Thanks for your reply
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #359  
Glitter Queen

Did Spellbinders site go down? It looks like they let the webname expire last night. I was there yesterday and then today...poof...it's gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #360  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got an error message that the domain name expired. That's strange.
Reply With Quote Likes