Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #81  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting 1/8 inch dies

HI!! I just bought my first set of nestabilites, and it is driving me nutso! I have a big shot, and I used the black embossing mat, and noticed that it cut a line in it :( (not all the way through) is that normal? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to cut 1/8 inch for matting purposes...any one out there can help me? I tried cutting 4 of them but it came out all crooked....do i need a magnet platform so it doesn't move around?? Please help, i'm up at 2:40 in the morning trying to figure this out..maybe thats the problem! I should be asleep! Thanks fo your help in advance
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #82  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cutting 1/8 inch dies

HI!! I just bought my first set of nestabilites, and it is driving me nutso! I have a big shot, and I used the black embossing mat, and noticed that it cut a line in it :( (not all the way through) is that normal? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to cut 1/8 inch for matting purposes...any one out there can help me? I tried cutting 4 of them but it came out all crooked....do i need a magnet platform so it doesn't move around?? Please help, i'm up at 2:40 in the morning trying to figure this out..maybe thats the problem! I should be asleep! Thanks fo your help in advance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #83  
Cardstock Collector

Default How to cut 1/8 inch dies

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 AM   #84  
Cardstock Collector

Default how to cut 1/8 inch dies with nestabilites

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #85  
Cardstock Collector

Sorry!!! I didn't mean to post it 4 times!!! It was taking FOREVER so I kept going back, and refreshing and, submiting....I don't know how to delete it :/ so so sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #86  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapingfreakView Post
Let's see if I can address everything you posted ...

First of all, here are the "official" stacking sandwich recipes from the Spellbinders website:

Big ShotTM (Black & Pink) by Ellison-Sizzix� and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix�
This machine is capable of cutting and embossing any Spellbinders Die. You will need Spellbinders two Tan Embossing Mats to cut and emboss in the Big ShotTM machine. Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from bottom up)
1. Place large platform down first with all tabs closed.
2. Place Spellbinders die face up, (that would mean ridges or bumpy side up).
3. Place card stock on Spellbinders die.
4. Place two Big ShotTM acrylic mats on top of cardstock.
5. Roll thru Big ShotTM machine to die cut shape.

Embossing Spellbinders Dies in the Big ShotTM by Ellison-Sizzix� and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix� Embossing Sandwich-(Stack from bottom up)
1. After cutting, remove acrylic mats from cardstock and die.
Leave the Spellbinders die in place with paper die cut out still in the die on the multi-purpose platform.
2. Place TWO Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mats on top of die.
3. With one piece of 12x6 card stock tri-fold for a shim and place on top of the Tan Embossing Mats.
4. Place ONE Big Shot acrylic plate on top and run thru the Big Shot machine.

These sandwiches are the ones they (Spellbinders) came up with for "optimum" results. However, I am sure you can achieve similar results using the black embossing mat. Anyone have a sandwich that has worked for them using it? If so, please let us know! I may fiddle with it a bit and see what I can come up with ...

Okay, so now you say you have issues with the black embossing mat CUTTING into your cardstock? Hmmm....I am not sure I understand. Is it actually cutting a line or just embossing one? I may need a bit of clarification on that one.

Next, in order to achieve the 1/8" mat, you will need to have BOTH the large and small sets of circles (or whatever shaped you are cutting). Each set, by itself, nests in 1/4" increments. If you have BOTH sets in any particular shape you can use them together (for example take the large circle from each set) to achieve the 1/8" mat.

Lastly, in order to keep the die from "slipping" ... use a piece of "removable" tape (i.e. stick a piece of scotch tape to the back of your hand and then peel it off ... it has now got the "removable" feature going on!). Tape the die in place (to the cardstock) before rolling it through the Big Shot. Then it will just peel off after you have cut and/or embossed your cardstock.

Hope this helps. I know it is a LOT of info, but ya asked a LOT of questions!! ;)
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #87  
Forum Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
I know this will sound silly, but put a piece of waxed paper on the die and then your cardstock. Cut/emboss as you normally would and your pendant will come out so good. Try it and tell us how it worked!!
This technique did not work for me.....the center piece still gets stuck and I can not remove it without it tearing.......any other tips before I put it away and never use it again?? Very frustrating :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #88  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry0926View Post
This technique did not work for me.....the center piece still gets stuck and I can not remove it without it tearing.......any other tips before I put it away and never use it again?? Very frustrating :-(
Is it just this one die that you are having trouble with? I found I had to shim things more than I expected--even if they worked the first time. I guess the Cuttlebug can get looser? I don't know if that helps you, but thought I'd throw it out there...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #89  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
Is it just this one die that you are having trouble with? I found I had to shim things more than I expected--even if they worked the first time. I guess the Cuttlebug can get looser? I don't know if that helps you, but thought I'd throw it out there...
Yep. it's just the smaller center die (Fleur de Lis) that I can't get the paper out of. I have a system with the large die...and that works fine. I haven't tried the 2 accent pieces yet, so I don't know if those will get stuck. The 2 larger pieces cut fine with rotating 90 degrees and a second pass, it's just getting the paper out aftward in one piece that is my trouble. I am ready to give up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #90  
Cardstock Collector

hahah thanks a ton wendybell!! Ya that was a lot of questions!! I was able to emboss but it wasn't a very deep impression...and as for cutting through the black rubber thingy, it did cut it :( cuz I had the ridge facing up? Maybe if it was facing down? But the interesting thing is, it didn't cut the whole square....just the top of it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by WendybellView Post
Let's see if I can address everything you posted ...

First of all, here are the "official" stacking sandwich recipes from the Spellbinders website:

Big ShotTM (Black & Pink) by Ellison-Sizzix� and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix�
This machine is capable of cutting and embossing any Spellbinders Die. You will need Spellbinders two Tan Embossing Mats to cut and emboss in the Big ShotTM machine. Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from bottom up)
1. Place large platform down first with all tabs closed.
2. Place Spellbinders die face up, (that would mean ridges or bumpy side up).
3. Place card stock on Spellbinders die.
4. Place two Big ShotTM acrylic mats on top of cardstock.
5. Roll thru Big ShotTM machine to die cut shape.

Embossing Spellbinders Dies in the Big ShotTM by Ellison-Sizzix� and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix� Embossing Sandwich-(Stack from bottom up)
1. After cutting, remove acrylic mats from cardstock and die.
Leave the Spellbinders die in place with paper die cut out still in the die on the multi-purpose platform.
2. Place TWO Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mats on top of die.
3. With one piece of 12x6 card stock tri-fold for a shim and place on top of the Tan Embossing Mats.
4. Place ONE Big Shot acrylic plate on top and run thru the Big Shot machine.

These sandwiches are the ones they (Spellbinders) came up with for "optimum" results. However, I am sure you can achieve similar results using the black embossing mat. Anyone have a sandwich that has worked for them using it? If so, please let us know! I may fiddle with it a bit and see what I can come up with ...

Okay, so now you say you have issues with the black embossing mat CUTTING into your cardstock? Hmmm....I am not sure I understand. Is it actually cutting a line or just embossing one? I may need a bit of clarification on that one.

Next, in order to achieve the 1/8" mat, you will need to have BOTH the large and small sets of circles (or whatever shaped you are cutting). Each set, by itself, nests in 1/4" increments. If you have BOTH sets in any particular shape you can use them together (for example take the large circle from each set) to achieve the 1/8" mat.

Lastly, in order to keep the die from "slipping" ... use a piece of "removable" tape (i.e. stick a piece of scotch tape to the back of your hand and then peel it off ... it has now got the "removable" feature going on!). Tape the die in place (to the cardstock) before rolling it through the Big Shot. Then it will just peel off after you have cut and/or embossed your cardstock.

Hope this helps. I know it is a LOT of info, but ya asked a LOT of questions!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #91  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry0926View Post
Yep. it's just the smaller center die (Fleur de Lis) that I can't get the paper out of. I have a system with the large die...and that works fine. I haven't tried the 2 accent pieces yet, so I don't know if those will get stuck. The 2 larger pieces cut fine with rotating 90 degrees and a second pass, it's just getting the paper out aftward in one piece that is my trouble. I am ready to give up.
Terry,

So the center piece of the Fleur De Lis is the one giving you problems? I don't have that die yet. I do use a push pin to get the cardstock out of some of my more stubborn dies. I will ask around to see if others have any tips.

Smiles,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #92  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Debbie!

I use my paper piercer for the little tiny pieces, but have found that my Scor Pal tool is great for gently pushing out the larger pieces. HTH.

Quote:

Terry,

So the center piece of the Fleur De Lis is the one giving you problems? I don't have that die yet. I do use a push pin to get the cardstock out of some of my more stubborn dies. I will ask around to see if others have any tips.

Smiles,

MFT Design Team
Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking Magazine Go-To-Gal
Carta Bella Design Team
Maya Road Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 AM   #93  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Terry,

Smiles,
Thanks ladies! I will try both methods...push pins and paper piercer....I have both. I will let you know if it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #94  
Kookie Creator

Subbing to find.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #95  
Mad Swapper

I don't have the tan embossing mat for my nestabilities because I didn't know I needed one. So, since necessity is the mother of invention, I started trying different things to get my shapes to be embossed as well as cut. I have this huge roll of wax paper that I hardly ever use (and only for crafting). I thought I'd try and use a piece folded in 4 to emboss the cs and it worked. Granted the die also cut the wax paper but with so many feet of this wax paper I could be embossing for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #96  
Cardstock Collector

Question Avoiding embossing lines with the Nestabilities

I use the Big shot or Cuttlebug with my nestabilities. Without using the foam mat I still get faint embossing lines around the die cuts. Is there away to avoid this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #97  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,501 Posts

I haven't had time to read all of this, but thank you! I am learning to use the spellbinders in my cuddlebug, and have found this site very helpful! I went to the video that was on first blog. That is how I learned. Thank you, thank you!

smadson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #98  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So many wonderful questions answered, thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #99  
Kookie Creator

Has anyone else had trouble with some of the Labels dies not cutting cleanly? I think the ones I am having issues with are Labels 1 and 4. They cut out the shape, but then I have to sand the edges to get a good clean edge. I am using the Big Shot using either smooth white cardstock or Bazzill, and don't have that problem on most of the others - is there something I can do with these to make them cut cleaner?

Also, what's the secret to using the Impressabilities in the Big Shot. So far, I am NOT impressed (pun intended!).

TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #100  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
Has anyone else had trouble with some of the Labels dies not cutting cleanly? I think the ones I am having issues with are Labels 1 and 4. They cut out the shape, but then I have to sand the edges to get a good clean edge. I am using the Big Shot using either smooth white cardstock or Bazzill, and don't have that problem on most of the others - is there something I can do with these to make them cut cleaner?

Also, what's the secret to using the Impressabilities in the Big Shot. So far, I am NOT impressed (pun intended!).

TIA
When embossing are you using the Tan Embossing mat? If so, you may need a shim of cereal weight cardboard. Every machine is different so you may have to experiment.

The clean edge problem could be your cutting plates. I had a Big Shot before I was picked to be on the Spellbinders Design Team and I notice my Nestabilities didn't cut as well when my acrylic plates were really bowed and worn. This was just what I experienced, maybe someone else has another idea.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #101  

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between the classic ovals/scalloped ovals and the petite ovals/scalloped ovals? How do any of these compare to the SU oval punches and scallop oval punch?

Here is a picture of the Classic & Scalloped Ovals Lg. (left side) beside the Petite Scalloped/Classic Ovals Lg.(right side) As you can see, they are very different. This is the smallest die in each set.
Attached Thumbnails
Spellbinders/Nestabilities/Wizard FAQ-100_1835.jpg  

Last edited by debbiemom23cs; 11-09-2009 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Add more text
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #102  
Rubber Obsessor

Question for Debbie!

I want to get a few "cookie cutter" dies from quickutz to use in my wizard. The problem is the dies are longer than the cutting mats. Do you know if I could cut them partially then advance them down the mats and run them through again to finish the cut? I am not sure if the force of the machine would damage the dies when it shoots out. I hope that Spellbinders will put out a 12" cutting mat so the Wizard could be more versatile!

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #103  

Quote:

Originally Posted by amydavView Post
Question for Debbie!

I want to get a few "cookie cutter" dies from quickutz to use in my wizard. The problem is the dies are longer than the cutting mats. Do you know if I could cut them partially then advance them down the mats and run them through again to finish the cut? I am not sure if the force of the machine would damage the dies when it shoots out. I hope that Spellbinders will put out a 12" cutting mat so the Wizard could be more versatile!

Thanks for any info you can provide!
I have never used any Quickutz dies but I looked at the cookie cutter border dies on their website. They look like the Spellbinders 12" Grand Border dies to me.

When using the Spellbinders 12" grand dies, if you don't have the Grand Cut Mat Kit (12" x 3 1/2"), you cut/emboss and then turn it and cut/emboss the other half. When running this thru my machine, I make sure that the part of the die that is sticking out is facing away from me. Make sense? Let me know if you need any help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #104  
Rubber Obsessor

You are very helpful! The actual dies I am looking at getting are the Santa's Workshop kit. They have a few dies that are long, open in the middle like spellbinders nesties. I was hoping to do what you suggested but was afraid that it may bend the dies as they come out of the machine. They are not solid like the grand dies ( I guess I could have given you this info before). I would have to use the regular mats with these. So, if you happen to suggest doing the same with these then, I want to make sure the end of the die that is sticking out past my mat is facing the back end ( not the end I put into the rollers) ? Sorry for being a pain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #105  

Quote:

You are very helpful! The actual dies I am looking at getting are the Santa's Workshop kit. They have a few dies that are long, open in the middle like spellbinders nesties. I was hoping to do what you suggested but was afraid that it may bend the dies as they come out of the machine. They are not solid like the grand dies ( I guess I could have given you this info before).
I'm not sure if these dies will bend or not, since I have never used them. Sorry. Maybe someone else on the SCS board will know?

Quote:

I would have to use the regular mats with these. So, if you happen to suggest doing the same with these then, I want to make sure the end of the die that is sticking out past my mat is facing the back end ( not the end I put into the rollers) ? Sorry for being a pain!
You are not a pain! And yes turn the mats to the part of the die sticking out is facing opposite of the rollers. Hard to explain! HTH I just can't answer too much about Quickutz dies, sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #106  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Here is a picture of the Classic & Scalloped Ovals Lg. (left side) beside the Petite Scalloped/Classic Ovals Lg.(right side) As you can see, they are very different. This is the smallest die in each set.
whoa...that's a shame, because I like the shape of the regular ones but the size of the petite ones! I was looking at some sets in the store this weekend, and wondered how the smallest one would ever get used, in some of them. Too tiny for even a saying like "thank you." Maybe a monogram LOL

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #107  
Kookie Creator

Thanks, Debbie. I tried it with the tan mat and 4 cardstock shims and got better results. I think I am expecting too much - it's not going to give as deep an impression as the CB folders, I'm sure. I will try the Nesties with a less warped plate and see if that helps, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #108  
Matboard Maniac

I'm considering the Flourish Shapeabilities dies. I would appreciated your views of this set. Is this a good investment?

My Blog http://sweetvioletspaperie.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #109  
Rubber Obsessor

I just have a suggestion for spellbinder's...I e-mailed them but did not get a response. With larger sized dies coming out by other manufacturers it would be great to make available 12-13" cutting mats! It would make the machine more universal and faster to use by allowing us to cut/emboss multiple dies at once. I had made holiday cards this week and it took forever to get all of the shapes done! Most of the newer die cutting machines have longer mats already.. Time to jump on the bandwagon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #110  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

I just have a suggestion for spellbinder's...I e-mailed them but did not get a response. With larger sized dies coming out by other manufacturers it would be great to make available 12-13" cutting mats! It would make the machine more universal and faster to use by allowing us to cut/emboss multiple dies at once. I had made holiday cards this week and it took forever to get all of the shapes done! Most of the newer die cutting machines have longer mats already.. Time to jump on the bandwagon
Been there, done that ... Here's a link to the mats they came out with last year when they introduced the long Borderabilities dies ... they aren't as wide as a standard mat, but you can do multiple little dies at once. If you want to use the longer dies made by other companies, you can use the standard mats and run them halfway through one direction, then turn the whole sandwich around and run it through from the other end ...

http://spellbinderspaperarts.com/grand-cut-mat-kit
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #111  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendybellView Post
Been there, done that ... Here's a link to the mats they came out with last year when they introduced the long Borderabilities dies ... they aren't as wide as a standard mat, but you can do multiple little dies at once. If you want to use the longer dies made by other companies, you can use the standard mats and run them halfway through one direction, then turn the whole sandwich around and run it through from the other end ...

http://spellbinderspaperarts.com/grand-cut-mat-kit.html
Thanks for your help!
I was planning on doing just that but, a blog I frequent told me not to do it with a machine that does not have mats that fit the dies. With the QK dies I want to use they were afraid the ends might bend due to the dies being more "fragile". I would rather not take the chance since this set of dies are expensive in my view. I might just have to...dare I say it...purcase an Epic six. I really would hate to have to do that! But then again, it would be more versatile! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #112  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamDView Post
I'm considering the Flourish Shapeabilities dies. I would appreciated your views of this set. Is this a good investment?
Cammie,

I don't have that set but I think you can get alot of examples on Becca Feekan's Blog. She has used those Flourish dies so much and so beautifully. You will have fun checking out her blog!

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #113  
Compulsive Stamper

Is there a difference using the Big Shot EXPRESS with the Spellbinders dies? I see lots of refs to Big Shot but wonder if the EXPRESS is included with them? Here are my questions:

1. What is the sandwich combo to use with the Impressabilities?
2. Do Nestabilities/Shapabilities/Poseabilities all use the same sandwich stack?
3. What is the stack for embossing after cutting with Spellbinders?
4. Is it possible to ruin the Big Shot pressure mechanism with too much stacking going on?

This is what I currently have:
- Essentials Platform
- A very hard, light blue piece ( I think it's Spellbinders)
- A black silicon floppy piece (Sizzix Texturz Silicone Rubber)
- 2 tan silicon floppy pieces (Sizzix)
- 2 (larger) tan silicon pieces (Spellbinders Enlarged Embossing Pads)
- 2 acrylic cutting pads

What is an Impressions Pad? Maybe that's what I'm missing? Or is that the same thing as a Texturx pad? (this is confusing to me)
I had my husband cut some 1/8" plexi glass to get the right pressure but they ended up cracking under pressure and still didn't work for some situations listed above, mainly the embossing ones.

Solutions are much appreciated!!!
thanks
DebraK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #114  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkaBellasMommieView Post
Is there a difference using the Big Shot EXPRESS with the Spellbinders dies? I see lots of refs to Big Shot but wonder if the EXPRESS is included with them? Here are my questions:

1. What is the sandwich combo to use with the Impressabilities?
2. Do Nestabilities/Shapabilities/Poseabilities all use the same sandwich stack?
3. What is the stack for embossing after cutting with Spellbinders?
4. Is it possible to ruin the Big Shot pressure mechanism with too much stacking going on?

This is what I currently have:
- Essentials Platform
- A very hard, light blue piece ( I think it's Spellbinders)
- A black silicon floppy piece (Sizzix Texturz Silicone Rubber)
- 2 tan silicon floppy pieces (Sizzix)
- 2 (larger) tan silicon pieces (Spellbinders Enlarged Embossing Pads)
- 2 acrylic cutting pads

What is an Impressions Pad? Maybe that's what I'm missing? Or is that the same thing as a Texturx pad? (this is confusing to me)
I had my husband cut some 1/8" plexi glass to get the right pressure but they ended up cracking under pressure and still didn't work for some situations listed above, mainly the embossing ones.

Solutions are much appreciated!!!
thanks
DebraK

Debra
I have a friend that has a BS Express, she uses the following for cutting and embossing

To Cut:
Thick base plate
Thin adapter plate
Die face up
Paper
Two acrylic plates.

To emboss:
Remove the 2 acrylic plates from top
Add:
Spellbinders Embossing mat
Thin adapter plate
One acrylic plate.

1) The sandwich combo for Impressabilities would be the emboss sandwich above, replacing the die with the Impressability
2) All Spellbinders dies use the same sandwich
3) See Above
4) No clue from me

You ask about an Impression pad, do you mean Embossing pad? If that is what you are referencing it is a tan floppy mat that pushes the paper down into the die/impressability when embossing. Spellbinders sells them.

A tip for embossing with Impressabilities - lightly spritz both sides of paper with water before embossing for a deeper emboss.

I hope this helps!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #115  
Compulsive Stamper

Kim,
the "Impressions Pad" is the black one on the Essentials Platform display. That's where my confusion comes in. There are too many names for all these layer things. I'm assuming this is a Sizzix part since it is on the Sizzix Platform.
Thick base plate is that the big Sizzix white one called 'Essentials Platform'?
Thin adapter plate what is this one?
Die face up this one I can figure out
Paper this one, too
Two acrylic plates. are these the clear 'cutting pads'?

thanks for the tip on embossing!

Last edited by StinkaBellasMommie; 11-17-2009 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 AM   #116  
Matboard Maniac

I've beem looking for half an hour, and can't find the answer I need. Don't really know where to ask it, so you seem well informed, so maybe you, or another member can help me with this. Yesterday I got the Spellbinders shapabilities butterflies. It has two cutout things, one makes holes, the other does not....at least should not. I am finding that with vellum, both dies cut holes. The one that shouldn't doesn't cut all the holes, but then I have to put it through again to make it cut all the holes, because it looks kinda bad with only some holes cut out. I want some solid butterflies, but not much luck with the vellum. The cardstock works better, but some times, not so much. Do I have to change my sandwich for the vellum? I use, and have always used A plate, die, cut side up, paper, B plate, adding the black plumbers rubber sheet after the paper, for embossing with Spellbinders. It has always worked, until now. I would love any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #117  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelusView Post
I've beem looking for half an hour, and can't find the answer I need. Don't really know where to ask it, so you seem well informed, so maybe you, or another member can help me with this. Yesterday I got the Spellbinders shapabilities butterflies. It has two cutout things, one makes holes, the other does not....at least should not. I am finding that with vellum, both dies cut holes. The one that shouldn't doesn't cut all the holes, but then I have to put it through again to make it cut all the holes, because it looks kinda bad with only some holes cut out. I want some solid butterflies, but not much luck with the vellum. The cardstock works better, but some times, not so much. Do I have to change my sandwich for the vellum? I use, and have always used A plate, die, cut side up, paper, B plate, adding the black plumbers rubber sheet after the paper, for embossing with Spellbinders. It has always worked, until now. I would love any suggestions.
I don't think you are using the right sandwich. Here is a video that Spellbinders owner, Stacey Caron, made showing how to cut/emboss using the cuttlebug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vunACbm345w

The sandwich she uses is A plate, C plate, die, cardstock, B plate - this will cut your die.

The sandwich to use when embossing is: A plate, die with cardstock inside, Tan Embossing Mat, 2 pieces of cardstock for shim, 2 B Plates. This will emboss the die cut!

Also, what weight of vellum are you using? I have found Vellum to be kinda tricky with the more intricate dies. I usually use a heavier weighted vellum. Let me know if you need more help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #118  
SAH
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post

TIA
I am having the same problem with Labels One. I was using Coredinations Paper and Neenah Linen Pearl Cover. I have tried this on a Big Shot, a ZipeMate and even my full size Accucut with adapter plate. I usually have no problems with the other shapes. I have tried new plates in each, but the same results. One side of the label looks very torn.

Is there a way to sharpen the edges?

Thanks

Last edited by SAH; 11-18-2009 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: forgot information
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #119  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I don't think you are using the right sandwich. Here is a video that Spellbinders owner, Stacey Caron, made showing how to cut/emboss using the cuttlebug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vunACbm345w

The sandwich she uses is A plate, C plate, die, cardstock, B plate - this will cut your die.

The sandwich to use when embossing is: A plate, die with cardstock inside, Tan Embossing Mat, 2 pieces of cardstock for shim, 2 B Plates. This will emboss the die cut!

Also, what weight of vellum are you using? I have found Vellum to be kinda tricky with the more intricate dies. I usually use a heavier weighted vellum. Let me know if you need more help!
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I watched the video and tried that sandwich. The cutting was fine, but got no embossing. Tried a lot of combinations, and finally got one that embossed without extra cutting. It sounds complicated, and I had to bring it to the computer to get things in the right order. A plate, then die, cutting side up, then black rubber plumbers gasket, (rubber sheet) 2 layers of funfoam, a peice of stiff, thick chip boardand finally 2 B plates. I was so happy to get the result I was hoping for. I also took your suggestion about the velllum, and tried different weights. The heavier, the better. This likely will not work for everyone, as every bug has a mind of it's own, but it worked for me.....today at least. Thanks for your help. Sorry to be so chatty today, I'm on my third coffee and it's just 11 am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #120  
Glitter Queen

I've had my Wizard for a year and really love it. Perhaps I should say 'loved' it. The arm is starting to slip and I don't think it will be very long before it stops cranking altogether. I'm disappointed to say the least. It was supposed to be all metal construction but the handle is attached via a piece of plastic. Another problem I'm having is that my second set of cutting mats is crumbling away. I mean that literally. The hard white material is not hard anymore. I'm going to have to replace my Wizard but I can't afford to get a new one every year. I don't want to move to another machine because the W works so well but it's not holding up. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Am I really the only one?
Reply With Quote Likes