Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between the classic ovals/scalloped ovals and the petite ovals/scalloped ovals? How do any of these compare to the SU oval punches and scallop oval punch?
The classic/scallop ovals are wider, and the petite ovals are skinnier and taller, and the scallops on them are smaller. I don't have the SU Punches so I can't help you there, sorry!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spellbinders SHAPEABILITIES pendants - Cutting Problems!

Hello Everyone! I am having BIG problems using my new Spellbinders SHAPEABILITIES pendants die with my Wizard machine. I tried to use it yesterday and it just won't cut through! I was using SU whisper white and run the thing through the machine like 6 - 8 times, rotating 45 and 90 degrees and still no luck! The last time I tried I put a couple of extra pieces for card stock for sheen and that seem to have helped a bid but still, it isn't what is supposed to be! I am so frustrated, sad, mad, disappointed, you name it! You pay so much money for all this things and expect them to work, and then they don't! Have any of you experience this problem as well? Is it my die? Is it the Wizard machine? what is it? I recall this happening once with one of my nestabilities, but that was only once, other wise my nestabilities cut and emboss just fine.

I know if anyone is going be able to help with this problems is you ladies, so thank you in advance for ANY help and advice you can provide! May you all have a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by truenorth_of_52View Post
Hello Everyone! I am having BIG problems using my new Spellbinders SHAPEABILITIES pendants die with my Wizard machine. I tried to use it yesterday and it just won't cut through! I was using SU whisper white and run the thing through the machine like 6 - 8 times, rotating 45 and 90 degrees and still no luck! The last time I tried I put a couple of extra pieces for card stock for sheen and that seem to have helped a bid but still, it isn't what is supposed to be! I am so frustrated, sad, mad, disappointed, you name it! You pay so much money for all this things and expect them to work, and then they don't! Have any of you experience this problem as well? Is it my die? Is it the Wizard machine? what is it? I recall this happening once with one of my nestabilities, but that was only once, other wise my nestabilities cut and emboss just fine.

I know if anyone is going be able to help with this problems is you ladies, so thank you in advance for ANY help and advice you can provide! May you all have a great day!
Maryvel,

Which pendant are you using? Which Wizard do you have? Just give me a few more details and I will see if I can help.

Smiles,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

I am using the Fleur de Lis pendant and the red Wizard Machine, I just got it like a month ago. I tried the wax paper advice, though I didn't really have wax paper it was parchment paper so that's what I used, at it did seem to help a little bit, but not completely! Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #45  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I am using the Fleur de Lis pendant and the red Wizard Machine, I just got it like a month ago. I tried the wax paper advice, though I didn't really have wax paper it was parchment paper so that's what I used, at it did seem to help a little bit, but not completely! Thank you so much for your help!
Hi Maryvel! I don't have these, so I can't really help you, but I do know this: parchment paper is very different from wax paper, so if you want to try the wax paper idea, you probably should obtain some actual wax paper. It's the wax on the paper that gives you the effect, KWIM? HTH!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

I have 2 very different questions, so I'm going to post them seperately.

First, I see the recipe above for "one Pass" cutting and embossing with the cuttlebug using Spellbinders's dies.

My question is, can I do this in the Wizard. I have the older style machine. I'm hoping it can be done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

Second question, I'm very confused about the magnetic spacer plate. I understood it could only be used in the later Rasp. Wizard. In fact on their site, it states on the packaging that the magnetic spacer plate is "only for use in Raspberry Wizard"

Reason i'm confused: I've seen two Wizard magnetic plates for sale on a website. One for the Rasp. Wizard, and the other it says "for older version of Wizard". I did contact the seller of the plates if there was a difference and she replied that they were different thicknesses. Thing is, when I check on Spellbinders site, there is only the one plate available, for the raspberry Wizard. I contacted them too, and was told something vague about they only promote their current products.

This did not answer my question, which is, is there a magnetic plate available for use with the older style Wizard machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

To answer your first question, cutting and embossing in the Wizard is to be done in 2 separate steps. Because of the distance between the rollers, it is close to impossible to get both the spacer plate used for cutting and the tan embossing mat through the machine at the same time. It would take some force to get them both through and would likely cause damage to the mats and machine, not to mention getting them stuck halfway through.

Secondly, Spelllbinders did sell a magnetic mat when the purple machine was current. It's basic function was to keep your dies in place. You can duplicate that by using magnetic ink jet paper. I attached it permanently to my spacer plate and used it in the purple machine. The trick is to use a thin magnetic sheet so as not to make the sandwich too tight.

The new magnetic spacer plate replaces the white rigid plate for the raspberry machine. That machine is a bit tighter than the purple machine so the magnetic spacer plate has a little more "give" when cutting the dies. Using the magnetic spacer plate in the purple machine will certainly not harm the machine in any way, but you may get a better cut using the rigid spacer.

Hope this helps.

Cathyh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #49  
Forum Fanatic

I never heard of magnetic ink jet paper! where do you get this?

I am also confused because I thought that the consensus before was that you had to do 2 passes through the Cuttlebug, too...that occasionally you can get both with a tight sandwich, but no guarantees. Did I miss a post that explained otherwise??!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

thank you so much kathy c. that really helps a lot. I had not thought of sticking something magnetic to the existing plate, that makes a lot of sense though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

I have a question: I want to get a labels nestabilities but I don't know which one people find they use the most often. I was looking at either 4 or 8. I want to make sure I get one that will accomodate stamping easily.

So how's that for a random question?:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

I love labels one myself. similar to four.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Well I went to HL yesterday with a 40 percent coupon. They had only one labels left and it was four. So I decided to get it since I was torn between it, one and eight. That kind of took that decision right out of my hands.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Question list of cutable items?

Is there a list that tells what can be cut with the spellbinders?

I read somewhere that you can cut shrink plastic with the nestibilites. Is this true? I don't want to ruin my dies. Can you cut felt? foil, yes cardboard? shrink plastic? foam? Meat trays

I have not seen a list of what is safe to cut. Where can I find one?

Thanks

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

there is something like a list of what it will cut on the Spellbinders website. I think it is under tips and techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #56  
Forum Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Thank you for this thread!! It has helped me a ton just watching the videos and making notes :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #57  
Kookie Creator

Help.. I need to order a set of circle nesties because I have the scallop circles. The problem is I bought my dies used from hubby's aunt and I dont know if the scallop dies I have are classic or petite. I saw a site that gives dimensions but do you measure from the inside of the dye or the outside? any help is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Help.. I need to order a set of circle nesties because I have the scallop circles. The problem is I bought my dies used from hubby's aunt and I dont know if the scallop dies I have are classic or petite. I saw a site that gives dimensions but do you measure from the inside of the dye or the outside? any help is greatly appreciated
Angela,
The petite scallop circles have smaller scallops on them, and look like this.

The classic scallop circles have larger scallops on them and look like this.

The plain circles will work with either the petite or the classic - so if you are wanting to order the plain circles, you can order the large or small, and either will work for both the petite and the classic scallop circles.

And I believe (but am not positive) that you measure from the blade to blade, but someone who works for Spellbinders can probably answer that part a whole lot better than I can! I am by NO means an expert

Does that help any?

Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #59  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Okay, first of all, you can get either the Large or Small Standard circles and they will work with either of the Scalloped Circle dies. The reference to "classic" or "petite" has to do with the size of the scallop, not the size of the circle. In other words, the scallops on the set of "petitie" circles are smaller and there are more of them, whereas the scallops on the "classic" circles are larger and there are fewer of them. The size of the dies is measure based on the cutting edge, so if you want to get an EXACT measurement, measure from the raised cutting edge to the raised cutting edge on the opposite side of the circle. I hope this makes sense ... if not, post again and I will see if can add further clarification.
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #60  

Wowza!! You were quick!! I was typing my post, got distracted by a phone call, and by the time I came back to finish you had beat me to it!!

But you are correct ... the measurement is from "blade" to "blade" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Angela,

The plain circles will work with either the petite or the classic - so if you are wanting to order the plain circles, you can order the large or small, and either will work for both the petite and the classic scallop circles.

And I believe (but am not positive) that you measure from the blade to blade, but someone who works for Spellbinders can probably answer that part a whole lot better than I can! I am by NO means an expert

Does that help any?

Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Angela,

Does that help any?

Happy Crafting!
That helps so very much and thank you for the pics!! Seems I have the petite scallops which I would have never guessed because my largest dye is pretty big. I think that means I should probably get the standard large circle but better measure just incase. Thanks so much for helping me with this dilema. You rock!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendybellView Post
Wowza!! You were quick!! I was typing my post, got distracted by a phone call, and by the time I came back to finish you had beat me to it!!

But you are correct ... the measurement is from "blade" to "blade" ...
Thanks I will measure blade to blade to see if I have the large or small. This helps allot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #63  

And as an FYI ...

The Large Standard Circles start at 3 3/4" and graduate down at 1/2" intervals (which will leave a 1/4" border if you layer them); the Small Standard Circles start at 3 1/2" and graduate down at 1/2" intervals (still leaving that same 1/4" border all the way around). If you COMBINE the two sets (for example using the largest of the Large Standard Circles and the largest of the Small Standard Circles, you will get a 1/8" border when you nest 'em. Get it? Cool, eh??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #64  
Inking Addict

Thanks for all the effort you went to, to help us know how to use the Nestabilities to best advantage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Hi all,

does anyone have the Case for the dies? how do you like the spellbinder wizard die case with your nestabilites"?

I am wondering if I should order one or continue with my current storage. I currently have them in a cuttlebug case, the one that holds the embossing folders. i put magnetic sheets in the pockets to hold the dies.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by payneteView Post
Hi all,

does anyone have the Case for the dies? how do you like the spellbinder wizard die case with your nestabilites"?

I am wondering if I should order one or continue with my current storage. I currently have them in a cuttlebug case, the one that holds the embossing folders. i put magnetic sheets in the pockets to hold the dies.

Thanks!
That sounds like a nice lil set up u created. do you have any pics of what it looks like? I just store mine on a large cork board that. I use the long pins at a diagonal position and they stay put. Very easy access and I never forget which ones I have because they are always infront of me. When they were put away I sometimes almost forgot I had them.
lets see if i can attach this pic, u can see them on the side
Attached Thumbnails
Spellbinders/Nestabilities/Wizard FAQ-img_5081.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

This is what I am planning to do and to use. I placed the order already and I can't hardly wait to get all organized! So check it out!
http://elzybells.typepad.com/my_webl...p-storage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #68  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

This is what I am planning to do and to use. I placed the order already and I can't hardly wait to get all organized! So check it out!
http://elzybells.typepad.com/my_webl...p-storage.html
ohh, thanks for sharing. I am going to have to deff keep this book marked!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

Default Where to find

Where have you found the best prices on nesties?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #70  
Insane Embellisher

This is the best site with the best prices ever! PLUS FREE SHIPPING any where in the US! Check it out!

http://www.scrapbookingalley.com/spe...nd-accessories

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #71  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

This is the best site with the best prices ever! PLUS FREE SHIPPING any where in the US! Check it out!

http://www.scrapbookingalley.com/spe...nd-accessories

wow, that's fantastic with the free shipping! They are showing the Nesties being on sale at 20% off--is that always the case?
Locally, I have found Nesties at Pat Catan's for even less ($15) BUT that's only in Ohio, and they are limited in selection.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #72  
Stampin' Fool

Default Prices on Nesties

True North of 52 - Thank you so much. Boy am I gonna be in trouble now. This sight is awesome. It has not only spellbinders stuff but cricut, pazzles, cuttlebug, and on, and on, and on. Ladies you should check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #73  
Kookie Creator

One other good site to check out is www.cutathome.com If you sign up to get there e-mail newsletter, you get A 40% CPN Off monthly. You can use it on the spellbinder dies or pretty much anything they sell. The shipping is not free :( but if you are only buying one dye you can request it to be shipped first class in the comments section of your order and they charge you $3.00 for shipping instead of reg UPS rate. just another option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey, Wendy, thanks for all this work! I just got my first set of Nesties & I am so confused about how to use them. I have the very old Sizzyx (press/handle) and can't figure out what kind of stacks to make to make them work. I've searched & can't seem to find what I need, coupled with the fact that most places don't carry spacer plate for the old Sizzyx. Any suggestions? Do I need to find a tan embossing mat & magnetic mat in someone's old warehouse? Thanks for any help you can provide. Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris bjornstedtView Post
Hey, Wendy, thanks for all this work! I just got my first set of Nesties & I am so confused about how to use them. I have the very old Sizzyx (press/handle) and can't figure out what kind of stacks to make to make them work. I've searched & can't seem to find what I need, coupled with the fact that most places don't carry spacer plate for the old Sizzyx. Any suggestions? Do I need to find a tan embossing mat & magnetic mat in someone's old warehouse? Thanks for any help you can provide. Chris
I use a Cuttlebug Folder for my "spacer plate" in my old Sizzix Press. I just bought a really cheap 99� one from OH MY CRAFTS so that if it ruined I wouldn't be upset. It hasn't been ruined at all whatsoever so far though, and I could still use it to emboss with.

Do you have the magnetic Sizzix Converter that snaps onto the machine so you can use Sizzlits and such with the Sizzix Press?

Here's my sandwich, bottom to top, after I snap on the Sizzix Converter.

Sizzix Press White Cutting Plate
Paper/cardstock face UP
Nestie blade DOWN
CB Folder

Push forward, pull down on handle, keep repeating until the entire die has been pressed down.

Then to emboss, I take the excess paper off the die, flip it so it is face up

Sizzix white cutting plate
Die face up with the cut-out in it
Sizzix Silicone Rubber Mat (comes with the Impressions pad, you can use a tan embossing mat or plumber's gasket cut to size)
CB Folder

Then push forward, pull down on handle, and keep repeating until the entire die has been pressed down.

I heard someone bought one of those cheap acrylic plastic frames from Wal-Mart and used it as their spacer plate. They said it worked fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks, Nikki. I am going to try that right now! Yes I do have the converter plate. I can only do the cutting at this time because I don't have the rubber mat, tan embossing mat or plumber's gasket. That's going to be on the shopping list for tomorrow. Bye for now, and thanks again. Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

OK, really dumb question (I feel like such a retard) which side is the "cutting side?" I managed to emposs my spacer place with a cute Nestie rectangle...somehow I don't think I was supposed to do that! So...on one side there's a sort of a raised ridge and the other side is smooth. Which cuts? I thought it was the smooth side. If you're here & you can answer, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #78  
Rubber Obsessor

YEA, I did it. Now all I have to do is get the materials for the embossing part. Thanks for your help and patience! Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #79  

Quote:

OK, really dumb question (I feel like such a retard) which side is the "cutting side?" I managed to emposs my spacer place with a cute Nestie rectangle...somehow I don't think I was supposed to do that! So...on one side there's a sort of a raised ridge and the other side is smooth. Which cuts? I thought it was the smooth side. If you're here & you can answer, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Chris
Looks like you got something figured out! (Hooray!) The cutting side is the side with the ridge, btw (and NO it is NOT a dumb question!)!!

Here are the "official rules" on how to cut/emboss using the Sizzix press. I pulled this info directly from the Spellbinders Compatibility Guide (written by the folks at Spellbinders):

Original Sizzix� Press
Ellison� manufactures the Sizzix� System Converter. You will need to use the system converter along with Spellbinders Spacer Plate and Tan Embossing Mat (Item# W 020) to cut and emboss Spellbinders Dies.

How-To Cut Spellbinders Dies in the Sizzix� Machine:
1. Place the Sizzix� System Converter into the Sizzix� Machine.
2. On the Cutting Pad, place paper to be cut, then Spellbinders Die, ridges down.
3. Place the Spellbinders Spacer Plate (Item# W 004) over the Spellbinders Die.
4. Use a 12x6 piece of cardstock and tri fold to use as a shim.
Place shim on top of Spellbinders Spacer Plate. 5. Push through Sizzix� Machine to cut.

How-To Emboss Spellbinders Dies in the Sizzix� Machine:
1. After Cutting Die in Sizzix� Machine, remove paper shim and spacer plate.
2. Leave paper die cut in the die.
3. Turn over Spellbinders Die, placing it on Sizzix� cut pad.
4. Place Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mat on top of Spellbinders Die.
5. Place paper shim on top of Tan Embossing Mat.
6. Push through Sizzix� Machine to emboss the Spellbinders Die.
Enjoy Spellbinders embossed die cut! NOTE: It may take several presses to cut larger Spellbinders Dies.

Glad that you and Nikki were able to put your heads together and find something that works as well! Feel free to p/m me if you have any additional questions, though ...

BTW, here is the link to the pdf file that has ALL the sandwich stacks for EVERY machine:

Spellbinders Compatibility Guide
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks, Nikki. I am going to try that right now! Yes I do have the converter plate. I can only do the cutting at this time because I don't have the rubber mat, tan embossing mat or plumber's gasket. That's going to be on the shopping list for tomorrow. Bye for now, and thanks again. Chris
So glad it worked! I just love my Nesties
Reply With Quote Likes