Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #441  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if this question has been asked, but here goes.
I have a ton of Nestabilities. I get a 'halo' around the cut edge on many of the sets. White paper looks dirty and I'm finding that I have to sand the edges of colored cs to get the flakes off. It looks like the die itself is leaving a residue behind on the edge. I don't use inks on the die so it's not that. The color left behind is the same color of the die. Please help, I'm getting really frustrated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #442  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by paper_therapyView Post
Sorry if this question has been asked, but here goes.
I have a ton of Nestabilities. I get a 'halo' around the cut edge on many of the sets. White paper looks dirty and I'm finding that I have to sand the edges of colored cs to get the flakes off. It looks like the die itself is leaving a residue behind on the edge. I don't use inks on the die so it's not that. The color left behind is the same color of the die. Please help, I'm getting really frustrated!
I have a few dies that does the same thing to my paper. I usually will take an old toothbrush and some cleanser (like bon ami) and clean them really good. If that doesn't help, I will add a sheet of waxed paper in my cutting sandwich - between the die and the cardstock - for just a few cuts and it really helps this too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #443  
Hardware Hotshot

I contacted Spellbinders with this problem and was told that many people are experiencing it.

The woman said try washing them in mild soap and scrubbing them with a "soft" tooth brush. She also suggested putting a piece of tissue paper between the die and the CS, but that didn't solve the problem for me.
She said after multiple uses the paint usually stops flaking off. She also said they are in discussions with a different manufacturer who claims they can solve this problem

I just use my finger nail on all of the cut edges to remove the paint flakes . It is a tedious task on dies such as Fleur de Lis :(
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #444  
Insane Embellisher

I too have had a problem with some of mine leaving a bit of a dirty look especially on white cardstock. I have rubbed them over with white spirit but that hasn't helped much, so I will try the idea of using another thin paper over the top, even copy paper may be ok I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #445  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan RView Post
I too have had a problem with some of mine leaving a bit of a dirty look especially on white cardstock. I have rubbed them over with white spirit but that hasn't helped much, so I will try the idea of using another thin paper over the top, even copy paper may be ok I guess.
Tissue paper works good for this,too. I found that out by accident today.....I ran out of waxed paper and had some tissue paper just sitting there...worked great and its cheaper than waxed paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #446  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only had this problem with straight edged dies, not the scalloped so I've been inking the edges to even out the colour of the marks. I will try tissue or wax paper next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #447  
Inking Addict

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
I called CS and the gal had never heard of this problem. I'm glad I'm not alone!! It's so frustrating to use the dies only to have to clean up after them. I LOVE them, but if my patience were any thinner, I'd give up. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #448  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Try putting wax paper on your die before putting the cardstock on. Works like a charm! Before I had tried this, I had actually returned one set - lattice one I think. I just couldn't get the paper out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #449  
Gallery Gazer

Okay, I've been making cards for about 9 months and recently stumbled upon Nestabilities (not sure how it took me that long to find them!!). They are so cool! I haven't purchased any yet but I'd really like to. Does anyone have an suggestions on sets that you use all of the time for card making? And any that you find that you never use?

I've got Stampin Up stamp sets and I've only made A2 size cards. There are so many neat looking dies that I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #450  
Rubber Obsessor

I am anxiously awaiting replies to your post! I, too, am learning. Thus far, my absolute favorite is Decorative Elements, Beaded Ovals, S4-294. I use them a lot. Also would be interested in what kind of machines people like best. Isn't this great that we can share information like this?! Yea for SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #451  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyk3868View Post
Okay, I've been making cards for about 9 months and recently stumbled upon Nestabilities (not sure how it took me that long to find them!!). They are so cool! I haven't purchased any yet but I'd really like to. Does anyone have an suggestions on sets that you use all of the time for card making? And any that you find that you never use?

I've got Stampin Up stamp sets and I've only made A2 size cards. There are so many neat looking dies that I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi Amy!

I may be a tad biased, but I love them ALL!
I always suggest basics (rectangles/squares/circles)for starters, but any of the labels line are great starters also.
My favorite labels at the moment are eighteen and fifteen/sixteen.
Circles and Curved rectangles are go to ones for me, as well as any of the big scalloped sets.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #452  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thanks!
The label shapes are my absolute favorites and I use them all the time. Two great starter sets would be Labels One, which looks great as a square shape or turned on point as a diamond shape, and Labels Four which can serve for rectangular or oval images. I reach for these again and again. The lines are stylized but not fussy, so the will work with a huge variety of styles. There are also a lot of label stamp sets made for these shapes!!!

Then I would expand on your label collection, you won't be sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #453  
Compulsive Stamper

I just got my Calibur machine and I bought the grand circles--I love them--now T want the grand scallops--I use these big ones with the smalll sets --what fun--all the spellbinders are great--its cheaper to buy the full sets at scrapbooking alley.com and if you go to ac moore with a coupon you'll get them one at a time...theres so many to buy so please make a list....some of the dies stick to the new machine so I take my cricut accessory blade and lift it off--what a clean cut..cut at home has a 40% coupon once a month also... I love the square scallops--the butterfly is so cute..the labels also...oh my ---get them all------------..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #454  
Insane Embellisher

I agree with everyone, but let me warn you, they are addictive! LOL. If I had to have just one set to start now I would get the petite oval set as I use that so much. I started off just buying one of sets, but quickly realised that you need the other 3 to go with it! At the time I just wanted one of each shape, but then it works out much more expensive in the long run when you eventually make up the full sets, so now I only get full sets. I personally prefer the petite scallop sets but that of course is a matter of personal choice. I have just bought the lacey circles and lacey squares, just love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #455  
Rubber Obsessor

On cards I use labels 4 and labels 5 all the time. They are my all time favorites. I use Fancy Tags to label pictures in scrapbooks. I also love the deckled ovals and rectangles. You just can't get enough of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #456  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Sounds like once I get started I'll just keep finding more that I "need" to have.

And I love this sight...I found someone who was selling some Nestabilities and just bought 11 sets this morning! Hoping that I got a good deal by paying $95 (that included shipping) for them. I got circles small, double end tags, fancy tags, labels 1, labels 2, labels 4, oval small, scallop oval small, scallop square large, scallop circles small and squares small.

Any others that I can't live without???

Now I have to figure out how to hide the box from my husband when it arrives
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #457  
Stampin' Fool

Sounds like a good deal to me. Track the delivery on your package if you can and just beat him to the mailbox. Still chilly in Oregon so hide the box under your jacket - lol. Or, send him on an errand for something you absolutely have to have. Don't think of it as keeping something from him. Just think that you're doing him a favor. Trying not to aggravate him - lol.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #458  
Glitter Queen

Labels and the lacey dies are good starters, I have around 50 sets so its hard for me to pick my favorites. The Kaisercraft storage binder will hold over 40 sets when you start to build your collection. BTW I wuld consider getting one of the new motif sets (there are two in each set). I have already ordered mine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #459  
Insane Embellisher

I thought I had lots with 22 sets! If I had 50 sets I would think I had died and gone to heaven! LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #460  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

I thought I had lots with 22 sets! If I had 50 sets I would think I had died and gone to heaven! LOL.

I have an enabling hubby, he gets me a few sets for christmas, birthday, anniversary, etc.. He got me 10 sets for christmas, here is where I get mine because she has great prices and charges actual shipping. I am in Canada and usually i get hosed on shipping

Stamps Alive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #461  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the storage idea and for the shopping website.

And 50 sets...I'm impressed. And I'm impressed that your husband will buy them for you. Mine just rolls his eyes every time a box arrives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #462  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Gals, if you haven't checked out the Stamps Alive! site...DO IT! Talk about the best prices on the web. It's not the easiest way to order, but the prices are well worth it. Thanks Corrie, for sharing this! Yiikes, I will be on my way to 50 sets at this price!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #463  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorrieWView Post
Labels and the lacey dies are good starters, I have around 50 sets so its hard for me to pick my favorites. The Kaisercraft storage binder will hold over 40 sets when you start to build your collection. BTW I wuld consider getting one of the new motif sets (there are two in each set). I have already ordered mine
One more question for you...which size Kaisercraft storage binder do you have? I was wondering if I needed the 12x12 or if I could get by with a smaller size.

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #464  
Rubber Obsessor

P.S. I should have mentioned the "Best Prices"...on Nestabilities! They're slashed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #465  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

One more question for you...which size Kaisercraft storage binder do you have? I was wondering if I needed the 12x12 or if I could get by with a smaller size.

Thanks again!!
I have the A2 sixe its around 6x9, I put two sheets of magnet material from the $ store in each poket and you can get 4 sets per pocket (2 on each side). Terry can order the binder and pockets for you, it is so more compact than CD cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #466  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I have the A2 sixe its around 6x9, I put two sheets of magnet material from the $ store in each poket and you can get 4 sets per pocket (2 on each side). Terry can order the binder and pockets for you, it is so more compact than CD cases.
Thanks again for the info! I've sent an email to Terri (thinking of buying MORE sets and the storage binder).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #467  
Die Cut Diva

I'm brand new to nestabilities, and the Cuttlebug. I haven't been able to get a cut that didn't also have a little bit of the edge embossed, or scored. I'd like to be able to cut a shape and not have a line partly around the edge. I'm using the recommended Cuttlebug sandwich. What can I do?

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #468  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I'm brand new to nestabilities, and the Cuttlebug. I haven't been able to get a cut that didn't also have a little bit of the edge embossed, or scored. I'd like to be able to cut a shape and not have a line partly around the edge. I'm using the recommended Cuttlebug sandwich. What can I do?
The edge you are getting sounds like the embossed edge, are you using shims in your sandwich? If you don't want the embossed edge then take them out (I don't ever cut with shims).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #469  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

The edge you are getting sounds like the embossed edge, are you using shims in your sandwich? If you don't want the embossed edge then take them out (I don't ever cut with shims).
Yes, that's what I'm getting, but no, I'm not using shims.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #470  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
Yes, that's what I'm getting, but no, I'm not using shims.
Well most of us had to run it through a second time to get the embossed edge if you want add some shims and it will be a bit deeper and you will probably really like it. I think your cuttlebug it really tight because mine doesn't do that till I run it through with embossing mats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #471  
Insane Embellisher

If you are using your A, B and C plates, perhaps you could try just using your A plate and 2 B plates and some shims. Just keep adding the shims until you get it to cut, but not emboss, it works with mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #472  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

If you are using your A, B and C plates, perhaps you could try just using your A plate and 2 B plates and some shims. Just keep adding the shims until you get it to cut, but not emboss, it works with mine.
Thanks. I'll try that. Running it through with the A and two B plates did nothing, but I hadn't thought to try shims because I'm such a Cuttlebug novice. I've only owned it for a couple of weeks.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #473  
Crimping Master

Default Frustrated!!!

Has anyone else had problems with Spellbinders and their order deliveries? My hubby bought me some dies from Spellbinders off my Wish List and I STILL haven't gotten them. Grrrr... :mad:

When I contacted Spellbinders, I keep getting run-around answers as to where the order is, if it's been shipped already or not, if it was billed to the credit card, and on and on. Needless to say, Hubby is very angry by now, threatening to contact the credit card company, and says he won't buy from Spellbinders directly anymore. :(

So, I'm STILL waiting to recieve my $100 order, STILL have no new dies, and now I need to locate another company where I can purchase them.

Any suggestions?
Maggie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #474  
Stampin' Fool

I'd be aggravated too. Check your credit card account on line to see if you've been charged. If you don't have that already set up on the credit card site and don't want to do that, call them and ask them to check to see if there's a charge from Spellbinders on there. If you have been charged then you can get nasty and call them. Ask to speak to a supervisor and threaten them with reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and the Dept. of Consumers Affairs. It's just too bad that you might have to go that far. If they haven't hit your card yet, I would just call them and cancel the order and tell them why. Then shop elsewhere so you can get the things you want. I've found that very few companies bill your charge card until they ship but you never know.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #475  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I heard from at least two vendors that their orders arrived in the past week from Spellbinders, and some, like the leaves dies, are still back ordered. Spellbinders may be working on fulfilling the earlier wholesale orders before the more recent retail orders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #476  
Matboard Maniac

I finally gave in and got my first Nestabilities. I received a gift card to Hobby Lobby, so I used the 40% off coupon and got my first set for pretty much nothing. There are so many to choose from, but I decided on the Labels Eight, because I like the way that shape looks on all kinds of different projects. I have been playing around with it and figuring out how it works. I just received another gift card, so tonight I went back to HL and got the circles. I am sure that for Mother's Day I will need to add the squares and rectangles to my list.

Anyone know of some good sites that show projects made by using Nestabilities?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #477  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Your paper trimmer can do squares and rectangles. Go for the ovals next!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #478  
Rubber Obsessor

Right here on Splitcoaststampers - look in gallery - company galleries - spellbinders. They have great samples. Also I agree with the previous post. I have squares and rectangle spellbinders, but there are so many great labels dies, and other items that I would put the squares and rectangles off and go for some of the more intricut dies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #479  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks ladies that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #480  
Crimping Master

Finally received my order! So happy to get them, but from now on, we'll order from another company and NOT Spellbinders directly. Thanks to those who emailed me privately with suggestions. We wouldn't have been so upset if Spellbinder would have let us know that: 1. the order was going to be late, and 2. why it's going to be late. :mad:

Well, it's done now and we learned a lesson.

Maggie

Reply With Quote Likes