Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by marriedin79View Post
After cutting. I was using the largest in the Fleur de Lis Squares set. I use waxed paper I this die to help with the release. However, there are a lot of tiny pieces that get left in the die.

Well, I accidentally dropped the die once the cut was out of the die. Voila! Every one of the tiny pieces came out.
I read advice on a thread last year where someone smacks their dies on the trash can to get out the left over pieces. I've been doing it ever since and it really helps. You just have to be careful not to bend the die.

Thanks for posting this great tip
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies

What a great idea!!!! I will try this. Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Default dies

There have been some great tips posted here. I'm sure we'll get it all sorted out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottiejdavisView Post
I'm not thrilled with the new intricate spellbinder dies either. Using wax paper is the trick; will try the freezer paper or baking paper but still have to poke out the little pieces left behind. The dies come out a million times better but not all the pieces. I think the cutting edges could be either deeper or sharper somehow. I agree with Gypsy Rose Stamper with her evaluation of other die companies. Though Spellbinder is really coming up with some fabulous designs, the work to cut them (putting them through several times and positioning them "just right" every single time) is starting to bother me and move me towards another company. I hope they are paying attention to this thread. The dies are expensive to not be happy with the clean up or torn edges of the dies pulling them out. Not real happy here. Sorry. I rarely ever feel I need to complain about a product as we all learn to work around problems but these dies are an exception. I know they are made in China which tells me a lot; maybe Spellbinders needs to look for another manufacturer with higher quality metal or something. I don't know but other company dies are not this difficult to cut.
Try a small shim with the wax paper. Aluminum foil also is a good choice for the first few cuts.. but a shim and wax paper, usually do the trick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

OK. Good to know - another great idea!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #46  
Kookie Creator

haa, I thought this was only happening to me because I still use the old raspberry wizard, I was thinking of buying the newer spellbinder die cut machine because I thought my old machine was the problem, and am torn if I should just get something else for the ease of things. The old purple wizard takes a lot of elbow grease to work but think I will hold off, until I know for sure what I want. What die cutter are you using snoangel?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad to have found this thread, I have been so upset with the last 2 die sets that I have purchased. Matter of fact i packaged the last one back up and plan on taking it back. I may give it a shot with the wax paper. I am like most of you ladies, why should I spend 20 minutes trying to get my die cut out, many times ruining yet another piece of paper and leaving me frustrated. This will surely cost spellbinder $$$$ so I do hope they get it resolved. I must say I do love the intricacy of the dies but just not worth the work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a wish list of Spellbinders dies I wanted to buy, and I deleted them all. Frame sets should be okay, but the intricate cut dies and D-Lites are No-no's. Until I hear that Spellbinders has made a major change in its die manufacturing, I plan to stay away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a trick I use for intricate dies. It requires having fingernails tho! I press down on the die cut very gently in an open area just under the edge of the die cut. I run it along the edge and continue to do this. Slowly the paper will start to come out of the die. Once it starts to come out but I can't reach under any more I use a Popsicle stick or my quick stik tool but very gently or it will mar the surface of the paper.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JubleView Post
It was kind of Kelly to come on and give some tips for the dies. With that said, I resent having to buy yet another implement to use. It never ends! You have to buy this so that will work and so on and so on.....ack! I must be grumpy today:(
A pin or needle or paper piercer works fine!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Seems my edit time is up. I used my technique above with floral ovals. A newer ornate set and took me three passes, one metal shim plus a piece of thick laminated Cardstock from packaging (I think it was Spellbinders instruction sheet from dies). I only needed the shims because my Cuttlebug is old and loose. Total about 4-5 minutes. With it in my corner of the world. We are spoiled. How long would it take to hand cut that? Ha! I'd never try it nor be able to pull it off if I had the time! I find patience is the key for any intricate die from any company. I have intricate ones from Memory box, Cheery and Poppy too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

My Cuttlebug is old, I've tried the metal shim, new plates, wax paper, packing tape, fingernails, pins and other suggestions posted here as well as on other online searches---alas, still no luck with the D-Lites. Can't help but think it's a design flaw or manufacturing quality control problem. I have no problems with any of my Memory Box, Cheery Lynn, Marianne Creatables or Joy! Craft dies. It's just the D-Lites that are a problem for me. From my research I don't think the problem lies with the die-dut machine or operator error. Too many of us are having the same problem.

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #53  
Kookie Creator

I agree with parknslide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #54  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have the problem when using my old Cuttlebug. If I use a different machine (Calibur, Big Kick, BSPro) and some shims, things are fine. I think Cuttlebugs are looser than the other brands of machine. At least that's my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

Default frustrated too!

So glad I found this thread, I was about ready to pull out my hair today! I even thought about throwing my grand calibur out the window. I purchased the older model when it first came out. I once documented a die that would not cut with complete photos and had a replacement sent that worked perfectly. Just bought some of the new intricate dies and spent way too long trying to get a clean cut using wax paper, shims, and rotating my die. I finally quit in total frustration. Do I now need a new machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #56  
Compulsive Stamper

I love my spellbinder dies, including the new gold series. I don't have the d-lites tho. I dust the die with talcum powder- learnt that from Christina Griffin (card making magic) I think. A light dusting will do the trick and too much may actually clog.
After cutting, I make sure to poke through all the holes to release the paper. A single hole may not seem to do much but poking the next 2 or 3 will actually release the section.
I use an old big kick by the way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #57  
Inking Addict

I've tried die cutting with 3 machines--Big Shot, Cuttlebug, and Revolution by Quickutz. I contacted the place where I bought the dies and they said to contact Spellbinders. After a long reply from them which made the same suggestions different people on this forum have tried, Spellbinders referred me back to the selling company. No one wants to take responsibility for these inferior products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Not good news for those of us stuck with these inferior products but good news for Spellbinder's competitors. I got some C C Design Cut dies this week and they are very intricate. I used my old, well-loved and well-used Cuttlebug and plates---the dies cut completely on the first pass through, popped out without a problem and no tearing. I used no wax paper or any other remedies suggested here. This company, available from All That Scraps, will be getting my die business.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #59  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'm giving the dies made by Memory Box a shout out too. Just ordered 9 dies---all very intricate. I needed no wax paper, special shims and only one pass thru my old Cuttlebug and I got nice clean cuts that popped right out of the dies. So long Spellbinders....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #60  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by parknslideView Post
I'm giving the dies made by Memory Box a shout out too. Just ordered 9 dies---all very intricate. I needed no wax paper, special shims and only one pass thru my old Cuttlebug and I got nice clean cuts that popped right out of the dies. So long Spellbinders....
I have had the same pleasant experience using the intricate dies from Memory Box. I've spent the past 2 stamp sessions cutting lots of their tendril style dies with super skinny curving lines and lots of tiny leaves and flowers. Not ONCE did I have to torture the die to get the die cut out - no torn stems or lost leaves or distorted shapes. So satisfying! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom99View Post
I found a post on a uk forum saying that there is a problem with 6 of the new d-lites dies and no more is being sold until they are remade. I can't find the web there said they read it on as they were not allowed to say the name on the forum.

Has anyone heard of this? Thank you

And I'm with you guys its getting a bit much the wax paper works for me but some of the dies in the latest release are taking 4 passes to cut.
Here is the link:
Spellbinders D-Lites

Have not had this issue although had similar trouble without wax paper on Memory Box swirly X-mas tree last winter. I will say that the holes you can stick a poky tool through are a MUST for manufacturers! Best wishes...

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I had my heart set on using my new, intricate Spellbinders die this last weekend, and tried everything I could think of to get it to cut properly,with no luck. I'm going to try all the suggestions I see here, but mostly I'm just relieved to learn it's not just me. I thought for sure I must be doing something wrong, despite having used lots of other dies, with problems.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Spellbinders, but I will think twice about spending a lot on the more intricate dies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #63  
Crimping Master

I don't have those dies. But I do notice sometime with my more intricate dies that the smaller scraps left behind seem to get stuck. Perhaps that's the problem.

When I take the small bits out I find it's not worth the headache. So I have tried just leaving those smaller bits in and running my die through. They usually fall out at about the third or fourth go around.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashfulStamperView Post
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I had my heart set on using my new, intricate Spellbinders die this last weekend, and tried everything I could think of to get it to cut properly,with no luck. I'm going to try all the suggestions I see here, but mostly I'm just relieved to learn it's not just me. I thought for sure I must be doing something wrong, despite having used lots of other dies, with problems.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Spellbinders, but I will think twice about spending a lot on the more intricate dies.
I am sorry you are having so much trouble with the intricate Spellbinder dies . I have been using the intricate Spellbinder dies for years and have had no problems. I always use wax paper between the die and the CS when I cut them. I do need to remove a few of the bits of CS or wax paper after the shape is cut , but that only takes a minute or two. I use a Cuttlebug to cut them . Spellbinder dies are my go to dies . I can't recall making a card without using at least one Spellbinder die. I suggest trying the wax paper method .

My Cuttlebug is getting old and the rollers are getting loose . Sometimes I need to give the die a quarter turn and roll it though again to cut all of it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #65  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I am sorry you are having so much trouble with the intricate Spellbinder dies . I have been using the intricate Spellbinder dies for years and have had no problems. I always use wax paper between the die and the CS when I cut them. I do need to remove a few of the bits of CS or wax paper after the shape is cut , but that only takes a minute or two. I use a Cuttlebug to cut them . Spellbinder dies are my go to dies . I can't recall making a card without using at least one Spellbinder die. I suggest trying the wax paper method .

My Cuttlebug is getting old and the rollers are getting loose . Sometimes I need to give the die a quarter turn and roll it though again to cut all of it
It's not ALL the Spellbinder dies, the issue is with the new D-Lites.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by parknslideView Post
It's not ALL the Spellbinder dies, the issue is with the new D-Lites.
Oh I misunderstood . I never bought any D-lites
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks, Kelly, for your help with my problems with the Vines of Passion. Kelly is a good resource! Kelly is Kelly @Spellbinders if anyone would like to contact her with Spellbinder related problems.

Last edited by kempd; 06-15-2013 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Left off important info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #68  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Just a heads up, crafters- I asked my dentist what he did with all the old dental tools. My dentist told me they get sterilized, and tossed into a box in the closet. Now, how does that pertain to this thread? He gave me several of those tools, so I'd have an assortment of tips, and they are really marvelous for finagling those intricate die cuts out of the dies! I use the wax paper, but having the tools that can poke through the tiny holes, and slip under the pieces and lift them out of the dies really helps. And free is my favorite price! It can't hurt to ask your dentist if you can have a couple of retired tools for crafting, worst they can say is no, and best is giving you several to take home and play with.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Just a heads up, crafters- I asked my dentist what he did with all the old dental tools. My dentist told me they get sterilized, and tossed into a box in the closet. Now, how does that pertain to this thread? He gave me several of those tools, so I'd have an assortment of tips, and they are really marvelous for finagling those intricate die cuts out of the dies! I use the wax paper, but having the tools that can poke through the tiny holes, and slip under the pieces and lift them out of the dies really helps. And free is my favorite price! It can't hurt to ask your dentist if you can have a couple of retired tools for crafting, worst they can say is no, and best is giving you several to take home and play with.
What a cool idea! I am going to check with my dentist, too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #70  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly@SpellbindersView Post
Also... Have you tried Cutter Glide? It's a blade treatment. Our Ken Oliver uses it all of the time to "season" his dies. He also has recommended rubbing your dies with a white candle! That's a pretty neat trick!
will try this..thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #71  
Matboard Maniac

I've had the Windows 2 d'lite die since it first came out and have to use wax paper to get the diecut out of the die. Even with the wax paper, it's always a bit of a fight to get the diecut out of the die without breaking it. It takes around 5 passes through the Cuttlebug to get it to cut cleanly too.

I did recently buy the Gazebo d'lite die after hearing it was being remanufactured and it works beautifully in my Fiskars Fuse. I've found I only need one pass through my Fiskars Fuse for it to cut and emboss - fantastic. It takes around 8 passes through my old Bug (rotating it ever couple of passes) for it to cut and then another pass to emboss it separately. It was no better going through my friend's BigShot either. Needless to say, I'll be using my Fuse for these intricate dies from now on as they seem to need more pressure than other dies.

I have noticed that some dies are now being sold with ejection foam which alleviates the need for the wax paper. I bought a sheet of ejection foam and applied it to an intricate couture creations die and it worked a treat - the diecut popped out without any drama. ;) I'm going to add this to my other intricate dies as a longer term alternative to wax paper. Here's a link to how the ejection foam works in case this is of interest to you.
Couture Creations: Couture Creations Ejection Foam Tutorial
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #72  
Kookie Creator

THANK YOU, Angela. I just stopped using them which is a shame because they are not cheap. I will DEFINITELY look into this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

My local craft store recently put all their Spellbinder D-Lites on sale - much sooner than I would have expected considering how new they are. I can't help but think these problems had something to do with the decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #74  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi All!

I was able to jump in this very discussion about Die D-Lites on a different thread and I thought I'd share it here.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Thanks so much for these discussions. We really enjoy being a part of the community and helping where we can. Happy creating!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 07-06-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by freedom99View Post
I found a post on a uk forum saying that there is a problem with 6 of the new d-lites dies and no more is being sold until they are remade. I can't find the web there said they read it on as they were not allowed to say the name on the forum.

Has anyone heard of this? Thank you

And I'm with you guys its getting a bit much the wax paper works for me but some of the dies in the latest release are taking 4 passes to cut.
Quote:

Originally Posted by happigirlcorgiView Post
Here is the link:
Spellbinders D-Lites

As Kelly at Spellbinders said above, she commented on another thread which had quoted the comments above but it's probably better here to let you see it.

Here's what Kelly is saying

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly@SpellbindersView Post

Thank you for your question. First, there is no truth in the rumor that production has stopped until the dies have been remade. We don't put products out to market until they are thoroughly tested. Occasionally, a consumer runs across an anomaly and we've rectified the problems in a very timely manner. Thanks!

Kelly Loubet
Social Media and Community Developer
Spellbinders Paper Arts

Yet on retailers websites they are giving the explanation as

Unfortunately, Spellbinders have identified a quality issue with six of the S3 dies from the latest Die D-Lites releases (listed below). In light of this issue, Spellbinders have chosen to remanufacture the six affected lines and so have been unable to ship them to us for the original date promised. Spellbinders have assured us that they will have the remanufactured S3 Die D-Lites shipped to us as soon as possible. We expect the remade S3 Die D-Lites to arrive with us and be ready to dispatch to you by 10th June.
S3-202, S3-203, S3-204, S3-205, S3-206, S3-207.These dies will no longer be available from 23rdApril as previously indicated. We are very sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment

I'm more than a little :? aren't you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #76  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappyozView Post
..........I have noticed that some dies are now being sold with ejection foam which alleviates the need for the wax paper. I bought a sheet of ejection foam and applied it to an intricate couture creations die and it worked a treat - the diecut popped out without any drama. ;) I'm going to add this to my other intricate dies as a longer term alternative to wax paper. Here's a link to how the ejection foam works in case this is of interest to you.
Couture Creations: Couture Creations Ejection Foam Tutorial
Ohhh, I am so happy that you posted this link. I have ejection foam on a couple of my Cottage Cutz dies which came in the pack with dies when I bought them but of course, being dumb and because I couldn't wait to use the dies, I immediately put them through my Big Shot without the foam and couldn't get the diecut out without tearing it: oh, I was so frustrated! Then I read the instructions that came with the dies, put the foam on and it was brilliant - diecuts come out perfectly and easily. I had no idea you could purchase the foam and put it on your other dies! And for once, it is an Australian company (I live in Australia), so I should be able to get some easily. I will try it on a couple of dies that I am having problems with and see if it helps. I avoid using those dies anyway so I figure I have lost nothing if the foam doesn't help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Ohhh, I am so happy that you posted this link. I have ejection foam on a couple of my Cottage Cutz dies which came in the pack with dies when I bought them but of course, being dumb and because I couldn't wait to use the dies, I immediately put them through my Big Shot without the foam and couldn't get the diecut out without tearing it: oh, I was so frustrated! Then I read the instructions that came with the dies, put the foam on and it was brilliant - diecuts come out perfectly and easily. I had no idea you could purchase the foam and put it on your other dies! And for once, it is an Australian company (I live in Australia), so I should be able to get some easily. I will try it on a couple of dies that I am having problems with and see if it helps. I avoid using those dies anyway so I figure I have lost nothing if the foam doesn't help.
Hi Jocelyn - I originally purchased my sheets at the Melbourne Paper Expo show from Hobby Craft & Scrap who also have an online store. I know there are a lot of other online stores stocking the ejection foam sheets now too like The Scrapbook store. The Scrapbook Store - Couture Creations - Ejection Foam Sheets (4 Pack) and it costs around $4.95 for a pack of 4 sheets.

Like you I had a couple of dies which were terrible to deal with, even when using the wax paper method - so I had nothing to lose trying the foam and it worked a treat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #78  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for link Angela - I will check it out I buy from that store alot so it is great to know they have the ejection foam.

Totally off-topic but I am from Melbourne too from the outer NE suburbs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #79  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does that work with the ejection foam with embossing?

Does it allow for embossing or is that not possible with the foam in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #80  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyStripeView Post
How does that work with the ejection foam with embossing?

Does it allow for embossing or is that not possible with the foam in?
I've not had any negative issues with the ejection foam interfering with the embossing on the diecut.

I've just quickly cut this shape from a Couture Creations die with my old Bug so you can see the dots are still embossed on the flourish. Apologies for the poor nightime quality photo - but it gives you an idea of the results.

DSCN5131_zpsb1396ffe.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes