Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So frustrated! Markers and clear stamps...

I did a little experiment yesterday, because I desperately wanted to use my markers to ink a clear stamp in a color I didn't have in an inkpad. I took several different brands of clear stamps, PTI, Inkadinkado, Autumn Leaves etc. and used several different brands of markers to ink it. The Tombow, Le Plume and CTMH markers made awful, splotchy impressions. Not nice at all. So I tried a SU marker even though it wasn't the color I wanted, and sure enough, stamped beautifully! :confused: I must've stamped two sheets of paper full trying to get a good impression from the other markers, but no luck! I have tons of Tombows, beautiful colors, but they won't work on clear stamps, boo hoo hoo. Can anyone speculate as to why? It's not like they're cheap markers (except maybe the Le Plume), and I just don't get it.

So, my hunt for the perfect shade of blue/periwinkle continues. I thought I had it in my Tombow 533, but now I have to keep looking.....:(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, the SU markers do well with clear stamps. I just experimented with this recently!

Here's a card I made recently.

Have you tried the Zig markers by EK Success? Not sure where you can find those these days. Some scrap stores still carry them I think? I've had my SU markers for some four years now!

Good luck with your search for the perfect color!
Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Its not the markers - its the acrylic stamps. I don't know why, but they just don't take ink and markers the way good ol' rubber will. The stamp companies can put out all the disclaimers they want, but the reality is they just are not as reliable as rubber. I have expensive sets and $1 stamps and for some of them, no manner of cleaning, sanding, erasing, etc. will get a clean impression unless I use a thicker ink. I get the best results with chalk ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

i have some clear stamps, my SIL swears by them because you can see through them, but i tend to not even look through the stamp, making that factor useless. i hate the fact that i can't apply an even coat of ink to the stamp to save my life. i did read somewhere that something you can do to help allivieate this problem is to rub the stamps with a rubber eraser. i guess it gives the stamp a little something to hang on with and/or roughs it up a bit so the ink will stay put. i haven't tried it yet, but will the next time i use a clear stamp. oh how i love rubber...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

if you do go with vera's suggestion for zig markers, they sell them individually at michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Clear stamps don't accept ink from pens well but rubber does.

Rubber takes ink from all pens very well. Clear is too slick and ink beads up on it. Good to know that SU pens work well with clear. Thanks 'cause I didn't know that. Stampers generally prefer rubber. If unmounted is prefered, I would go with some form of rubber. I use EZ Mount and love it but there are other sources too. Just be sure it is rubber if you want ink acceptance and clean crisp images. Clear stamps are preferred by scrapbookers as they may use only letters or titles and may not use their stamps for very much time.

If you still want to use your clear stamps with pens, lightly sand them with an emery board or very fine sandpaper to give them some microscopic grooves that ink can cling to. It won't hurt the stamps. In fact it is a good thing to do with brand new rubber stamps too. Some have a residue left after taking them out of a mold. Light buffing or sanding makes both rubber and clear work better. It is a necessity with clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I tried to use my SU markers on a clear stamp the other day. It was a Fiskars clear stamp, and the ink pooled up on the surface. I ended up pulling out my versafine ink pad instead and got a great impression. I agree that it's the surface of the stamp you're using, not the markers. I have yet to buff my clear stamps, although the next time I get them out, I'm going to give it a try. I have LOTS of clear stamps and just got the markers so I could color the images before stamping. I guess only trial and error will tell whether or not I'll have my way with this! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

No, it is the markers. I spent a long, long time through trial and error figuring it out.
I used the same stamp (PTI flower that has been cleaned, buffed, scuffed, you name it) and tried all the different brands of markers I have. The SU was the only one that didn't bead up and leave a splotchy impression. I tried several different colors of the same brand of marker. No difference. Unfortunately, SU was the only one that consistently made a beautiful image, however, it does me no good because their color range is limited compared to other markers.
I was ultimately hoping to avoid buying ink pads in every color under the sun, because markers are more compact and versatile for me to use, but since I love clear stamps, and will not stop using them, my ink pad collection continues to grow...LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that it is the stamps...although I will say that my "cheaper" acrylics do not take markers at all no matter how many times I use them, PTI and some others take markers after repeated use in my experience. I only have SU! markers so I don't have anything to compare in the marker department.
Reply With Quote Likes