Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snail Adhesive - what gives??!!

Argh!! I bought some SU Snail adhesive (actually several to meet my stamp club minimum). I used it for the first time on Tuesday night when I made about 10 cards using Snail adhesive. Of those 10 cards, I had to re-adhere parts of 8 of them. Until now, I always used a Dotto roller thing. I used about as much Snail stuff as I did my previous adhesive. What gives? Do I need to use more? Do I have to put adhesive on both sides of what I want to stick together? (Hope the answer is no to both of these; it's expensive stuff!) Tips, suggestions, etc. please!!

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tip:

Once apply the snail & put the pieces together, rub the cardstock to help the adhesive adhere the two pieces together. Many people have said different climates cause different results. This has helped my cardstock stick.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I always had to use tons of snail to get it to stick and it was always falling apart. This is why I switched to the ATG. It sticks much better and I don't have to use much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I'd call SU and let them know. That honestly sounds like a defective roll. I've had an item here and there come off but it's usually b/c I haven't adhered it properly or didn't use enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Snail just plain sucks...It will not hold for long. I too have changed to ATG about a year ago..no more falling apart cards.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I no longer use Smail. Everything falls apart after a while. I just went through some card I made last fall, and the top layers are all falling off od them. I do not want to give cards out that fall apart. I use one that I buy from Walmart. It is cheaper and it STICKs!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 03:50 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is ATG

I keep seeing everyone refer to ATG and have no idea what it is. Can someone enlighten me?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I don't use snails either. I use the glue dots from Walmart, Joanns, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and AC Moore. My DH's theory is never let a coupon go to waste, you can always use it for glue dots if adhesives are not on sale. 300 comes on a roll in various sizes. Nothing will fall off your card with them babies. I use them for the embellishments too. That way I don't have to have so many different kinds of adhesives. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Snail is monoadhesive, and it's totally gone downhill. When I first used it it was good then something happened and everything started falling apart.

After hearing about ATGs (Adhesive Transfer Guns) here for months I finally broke down & bought one. I'd have to say it's the best stamping-related investment I've made! I got mine from framingsupplies.com and got the 714 with the cheaper (non-acid-free) refills. I've had it since January and I'm only on the 3rd roll. And I stamp A LOT!!! 60 yds. of adhesive for $2 - how can you possibly beat that???
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 491 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Snail

You know,,,,I only use Tombow Mono Permanent adhesive( Snail with another name) and my cards stay together....I use it for scrapbooking, card making and so forth. I checked some cards I made over a year ago and they are still together---I do make sure that heavy layered cards received more stripes of adhesive but don't go overboard about it. I don't do anything special to press it together except finger pressure-
Once in a while a roll won't work well but that is very rare......
I know it costs a bit more than the ATG but my hands are small and I have arthritis in my fingers--so the cost is worth it for me.
So---just do what works for you.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #11  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

I just got the ATG 700 with the 1/4 inch adapter this week and I am in HEAVEN!!! I am working on 60 christmas cards.....I was using d/s tape, but that was sooooo time consuming. I was able to adhere 60 layers in about 20 minutes. Unheard of with the other stuff. And, I still have about 1/3 of the FIRST roll of adhesive left!!!

So, for time-saving and cost-saving, I would totally agree with an ATG as the way to go.

Oh, and I hated mono when I was a demo because I always ended up with the mono boogers.......what a mess!!

Fan my etsy shop on Facebook: RJY Handmade Designs

Check out my etsy shop: www.rjyhandmadedesigns.etsy.com

Blog: http://rjyhandmadedesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Big mono perm fan here. My cards stick GREAT, in fact, I ruined two card bases when I had to pull the layers apart due to doing them the wrong direction to the fold. I couldn't get it to let go and it tore! I've NEVER had issues with Mono, ever. I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for letting me know what ATG stands for. Will look into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanda50View Post
I don't use snails either. I use the glue dots from Walmart, Joanns, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and AC Moore. My DH's theory is never let a coupon go to waste, you can always use it for glue dots if adhesives are not on sale. 300 comes on a roll in various sizes. Nothing will fall off your card with them babies. I use them for the embellishments too. That way I don't have to have so many different kinds of adhesives. Works for me.
Now I've had trouble with the glue dots brand, both the thick and thin ones! My mom told me that the flowers I made out of two punched Boho punch flowers and a brad kept falling off her card! I had trouble with a small piece of chipboard attached to a modgepodged tin lunch box, too. I finally gave up and stuck it on there with Crystal Effects! That puppy will NEVER come off! With regular layering on cards, though, I've never had a problem with my Tombow Mono (Snail).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have any trouble with the mono adhesive - although I did stop buying it at SU because it's so expensive. There are companies online that have bulk discounts and it came out to something like $2.15 a piece.

I also have the ATG and haven't used it yet but I'm anxious to try it now that I've read all of the replies. I like the small size of the SNAIL and was 'saving' the ATG for mass-production work because the SNAIL runs out so fast.

If I am sticking something to an embossed background or adhering embellishments, or non-card stuff, I use glue dots or the red tacky tape.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I only use the SNAIL on few things. Mostly I use the Tombo Mono Multi liquid and it is great. You have a few seconds to get it just right and then it is stuck forever. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I use it only for ribbons, but I keep buying it even if it's only for that. I haven't found anything that work better for me to glue ribbons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Hey ladies- just wanted to let you know I found an awesome place to get the ATG and refills - www.cropandstick.com myself and 9 of my family and friends are ordering from them. We all are getting the red Atg and scid free refills. We've heard this is the way to go so--- we are jumpin in!

The lady at crop and stick was awesome! I email a question- she called me long distance to assist in picking out what we wanted! What a shock- you don't find customer service like that very often- especially the internet!

Just wanted to pass the word! If you order from them mention in your comments box that you are a Split Coast Stamper- we talked about our group here and she knew what we were! "Oh yea! They are great!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to be harsh but I HATE snail. It will come apart after you send your cards, even if you rub etc... I found that the dollar giant (in Canada) carries double-sided tape that is acid and lignin free and it is wonderful (for a dollar a role!) Maybe you could phone around to your local dollar stores? Aside from that, I have heard wonderful things about ATG guns. Best of luck, :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I just got the snail in my kit from joining SU. I figure I'll try it but if I don't like it, it's really no big loss. I forgot I was getting one until I opened my box last night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauralineView Post
I use it only for ribbons, but I keep buying it even if it's only for that. I haven't found anything that work better for me to glue ribbons.
If you're using the ATG with the 1/4" tape, it works great for ribbons. Just takes some practice putting it on the ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default SU Snail is one of the only SU products I don't like.

I don't know ho makes it for them , or why they "stick" by it, but I don't find that it works very well. Flat paper to paper, sure. But that's it. I've taken out older cards (after a year or so) and they've fallen apart in my hands. I have only used it when I've gone to card-making parties and thedemo provided it, but those are the cards that don't hold up well.

My favorite tape runner for scrapbooking is Creative Memories. I've used it for several years and I keep on buying it. For cards with folding and layering, I like the Tombow perm. I just bought a pack of 6 refills for under $17.00. For someembellishments, like adding a 3-D object, I will occasionally use a glue dot. For my altered tins, I like the 3L photo tape and it is very afforable. I don't have a big red ATG, but people here at SCS who have them, LOVE them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbergwilView Post
Argh!! I bought some SU Snail adhesive (actually several to meet my stamp club minimum). I used it for the first time on Tuesday night when I made about 10 cards using Snail adhesive. Of those 10 cards, I had to re-adhere parts of 8 of them. Until now, I always used a Dotto roller thing. I used about as much Snail stuff as I did my previous adhesive. What gives? Do I need to use more? Do I have to put adhesive on both sides of what I want to stick together? (Hope the answer is no to both of these; it's expensive stuff!) Tips, suggestions, etc. please!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I also use the Tombow Mono adhesive and love it. I tried the SU nails and don't like them because thing don't stay glued. In fax, at stamp club I take my own Tombow tape to use.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

Oops, meant in "fact"

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Default SNAIL Tracks

I'm an adhesive snob, but I don't have problems with SNAIL like some do. Here's what I know:
  1. I don't believe in the "little dab will do ya" theory. I do it all the way down the 2 short sides & about an inch on the long sides.
  2. If it's holding something heavy or if there's any tension against it (like a box or ribbon in between layers), I upgrade to Sticky Strip or Mini Glue Dots.
  3. I've heard the SNAIL sticks better if you burnish it (rub over the the adhered cardstock.
  4. I do wonder if humidity has something to do with it. Why? Because if you want to take SNAIL apart, you huff on it with moist hot breath. It doesn't like heat either.
  5. I HATE glue stick. I've received cards in the mail that came in several pieces that were put together with glue stick.
Of course, if you WANT it to come apart, it won't without ripping the paper. :confused:
Kick it up a notch @ www.masterstamper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer Snail. it is nice and compact, making it easy to take with you. I just can't imagine myself lugging an ATG everywhere. The only time I've had problems with Snail is when I used it sparingly. You have to be pretty generous with it to get it to stick well, but when it sticks, it really sticks! I've ruined many a card because I tried to correct a crooked layer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue pen (white with green trim) for my cards and that stuff is AWESOME!! Nothing will come off after this stuff. I have heard mixed results about Mono Aqua but the Mono Multi is incredible. Just realized I only have one left, time to get refills - I have heard of people getting stuff here - this is what it looks like (scroll down for the Mono Multi)

http://www.penwa.com/tombow/aquaglue.htm

For scrapbooking I use my CM tape runner for the photos and large pieces of c/s or paper - adding small punch art I use the Mono Multi - just a few drops and it is awesome.

I only found out about it on HERE actually, someone was raving about it and I bought at the LSS and used for a card class and it was awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:37 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the enlightenment this morning. I usually don't have an issue with my Tombow Mono Perm either. I have one right now that isn't working well. I also buy from whatever online source I find it cheaper. I also don't believe in the "little bit in each corner", I cover that cardstock! I don't mind the SU glue sticks, it works well and I can't pull stuff apart.

ATG is too big for me. I really love the concept but I asked a framing store to let me play with it and I hated it. I don't need another huge tool to store either.

I'm going to put Mono Multi on my next SU order. The Aqua stuff isn't my favorite. The paper slides around a lot before it dries so I ended up with crooked layers all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

I have an ATG and LOVE it! I also have the "X" Xyron and the 250. Between those 3 my adhesive issues are taken care of!!!

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have received cards from all over the country to send to the troops. I can tell you that most of the ones who have used mono/snail I have had to repair prior to sending to the troops. I know some of you think the mono/snail will hold but trust me it doesnt. I spend hours repairing and readhering parts to cards that are falling off due to snail/mono and even glue sticks. ATG is great so are most double sided tapes. Mono/Snail are not worth the investment. I know sometimes it seems like you stuff is holding, but give it time, it will let loose I can pretty much guarantee it. Heaven knows that I have seen many, many thousands of cards and card fronts and snail/mono just doesnt hold. It might takes months but it will fall apart. I love my project for the troops but it is amazing how many of the cards/cardfronts are falling apart when I receive them. ATG is so much better. I have arthritis in my wrists and shoulders and this simple light weight alternative is the bomb.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

The only time i use snail is at my demos house so I don't really know if it is any good or not. I love my ATG gun and I tell everyone I meet about it and recommend it. If you don't like snail. You will love an ATG gun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Which Momo?

Hi,

I agree completely about the snail sold in the SU catalog. I won't use it because I have seen how things fall apart. I switched to a Tombow Mono Permanent Adhesive that comes in a little blue dispenser that is applied like the snail or a tape runner. It seems quite sticky. I do plan to invest in the ATG you recommended because so many people here on SCS rave about it. (I do wish it wasn't quite so big, though.) Anyway, when you wrote mono/snail did you mean the Tombow Mono Permanent Adhesive (runs onto the paper in a solid strip, not a strip of tiny dots) in the blue dispenser?

Thanks for the project you are doing for our military personnel!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have received cards from all over the country to send to the troops. I can tell you that most of the ones who have used mono/snail I have had to repair prior to sending to the troops. I know some of you think the mono/snail will hold but trust me it doesnt. I spend hours repairing and readhering parts to cards that are falling off due to snail/mono and even glue sticks. ATG is great so are most double sided tapes. Mono/Snail are not worth the investment. I know sometimes it seems like you stuff is holding, but give it time, it will let loose I can pretty much guarantee it. Heaven knows that I have seen many, many thousands of cards and card fronts and snail/mono just doesnt hold. It might takes months but it will fall apart. I love my project for the troops but it is amazing how many of the cards/cardfronts are falling apart when I receive them. ATG is so much better. I have arthritis in my wrists and shoulders and this simple light weight alternative is the bomb.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

The Tombow Mono Multi Glue that SU sells is really awesome. I think it sticks WAY better than the SNAIL or other such products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have done a bulk order in the past for the Tombrow mono and it is just as bad as SU...sorry.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

ooops sorry didnt clarify...the strip not the glue in the bottle is what I am saying will not hold for long. Believe me...I know. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

The Place to get the ATG with great customer service is cropandstick.com, they are not backordered like framingsuppliers is. I would reccomend ALL to check it out...you'll love the gun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Hmm...I'm tempted to get an ATG after seeing this thread.

I love my Creative Memories adhesives, but they are so darn expensive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapingbabyView Post
The Place to get the ATG with great customer service is cropandstick.com, they are not backordered like framingsuppliers is. I would reccomend ALL to check it out...you'll love the gun!!
I had also heard on another thread that the ATG 714 was backordered from framingsupplies.com. But I placed an order for it there on Monday and it shipped today. I ordered the ATG 714 and 2 rolls of adhesive--the total, including shipping, was $50.87. The FedEx tracking # says that I will receive it on Thursday. GOOD-BYE snail adhesive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 05:15 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

I only use snail type adhesive (I use AdTec - works better and is cheaper) for ribbon. I tried the ATG and it bothered my hands. I now use Tombow Mono Multi, Scotch Quick Dry or Zip Dry. They all work great!
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle NHView Post
Hi,

I agree completely about the snail sold in the SU catalog. I won't use it because I have seen how things fall apart. I switched to a Tombow Mono Permanent Adhesive that comes in a little blue dispenser that is applied like the snail or a tape runner. It seems quite sticky. I do plan to invest in the ATG you recommended because so many people here on SCS rave about it. (I do wish it wasn't quite so big, though.) Anyway, when you wrote mono/snail did you mean the Tombow Mono Permanent Adhesive (runs onto the paper in a solid strip, not a strip of tiny dots) in the blue dispenser?

Thanks for the project you are doing for our military personnel!
I might be wrong here but I believe the adhesive that SU sells is the same as the Tombow Mono Permanent Adhesive. Its just branded differently for Stampin Up!
Reply With Quote Likes