Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sizzix Movers & Shapers Dies

Has anyone tried the new Sizzix Movers and Shapers Dies yet? Mine just came in the mail and I can't wait to try them out!!

I'd love to see what you all come up with.

Nancy S
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I think they were all sold out on the Sizzix website when I went to look at them. They look neat! Have fun playing with yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL...LOL... Well, it's been 4 hours since you posted!!! Which ones did you get!!! What did you make, How do they work!! Are they FUN!!! You are suppose to let us know by now!!!:-D

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, this morning I got out my supplies and started to experiment. Mixed results on the first attempt.

At first, I could not get the sandwich to feed into my Big Shot machine. I fooled around with some thinner pads, but the die did not cut. Eventually I went back to the regular pads and it fed thru fine. Sheesh! You use the same sandwich as for the Originals dies: clear cutting pad, die, paper, clear cutting pad.

Before that I realized that I don't have the extra long cutting pads that the Movers and Shapers die calls for. The online store that I bought the dies from was out of them. But I figured I could just butt two regular cutting pads together. That sort of worked, but I got a crease in the back of the card. Not horrible, but not too attractive. I've got to find those long cutting pads.

I finally did crank a card out, and found that the edge did not cut completely--I guess because the two cutting pads didn't feed thru properly. The one on the top of the die went thru fine, but the one on the bottom stopped for some reason. Sigh. As soon as I figure out how to post an image, I'll show you what I mean.

Finally, the card size is a bit hard to handle. I cut a piece of standard 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock in half to measure 4 1/4 x 11, but it was a bit tricky to line it up over the card outline on the die. To have some margin for error (and to account for card slippage), you need a piece of card that is about 4 3/4 x 11 1/2. Hmm. Maybe if I tape the card to the die, it won't slide around. And if I have the proper cutting pads maybe it will stay put.

OK, so not the best first try in the world. But I'll keep at it and let you know what happens. Thanks for your interest! I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Default First card!

Ok, new day, new energy. After yesterday's frustrations, I decided to wait until this morning to try again. This time I taped two regular size cutting pads together (end to end, to make a long pad) for underneath the die, and that made a big difference. By taping just at the top and bottom edges, I avoided putting a crease into the back of the card. I used 12 x 12 cardstock, cut into a 4 3/4 wide piece.

The card uses the horizontal A2 die and the flower cutout. The 'bloom' addition is a Sizzlit. Overstamped with Brilliance Gamma Green ink and a Stampendous Ink Splats stamp.

Quick and easy...finally!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Here is the link to my first card. The center flower is the cutout, with a striped piece of paper inside the card. The other 3 flowers are die cut from the master die, run thru the machine with just a small piece of paper over the flower part.
Attached Thumbnails
Sizzix Movers & Shapers Dies-movers-flower-card-1.jpg  

Last edited by Paperlover; 05-28-2008 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you so much for posting!! It helps to know that we are not alone in frustration when it comes to our new tools... what works and doesn't... someone has to go forth and blaze the trail....lol...lol You'll be a great help to many!!! Fun card!!

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I don't understand what they do! Sigh. The Sizzix site is so under explained for me. I never can figure out what the dies do or how big they are!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
I don't understand what they do! Sigh. The Sizzix site is so under explained for me. I never can figure out what the dies do or how big they are!

Anne
These dies are very large, probably 6" wide by 15" long. They cut out a full sized card (4x5)with a crease in the middle, which is where you fold it. With the magnetic cut out, you can place little dies in there to cut out different shapes/windows for the front of your card, all at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #10  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post

Anne
I agree. I was on their site last night and read the info and don't understand how these work - better info on here thx to those posting

I read that you have to have a 'kit' in order to use these dies but I didn't see a basic kit, just card kits that came with dies. I did see the extra long acrylic cutting plates. But where does the magnetic part come in ? lol......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
I read that you have to have a 'kit' in order to use these dies but I didn't see a basic kit, just card kits that came with dies. I did see the extra long acrylic cutting plates. But where does the magnetic part come in ? lol......
I think that the basic kit is one of the long dies and one of the small dies. The long die makes the card itself, and the small die cuts out the window. The magnet holds the small die in place, so you can use any of the small dies to cut a hole in the front of the card. And you can place the die almost anywhere on the front that you want.

Below is a photo of the 4-square die (which I think of as a window frame, like a window in a house) located in different places on the front of a card.

hth, Nancy
Attached Thumbnails
Sizzix Movers & Shapers Dies-movers-squares.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

ah, thanks! That makes so much more sense, lol.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #13  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Thumbs up Aha :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperloverView Post
I think that the basic kit is one of the long dies and one of the small dies. The long die makes the card itself, and the small die cuts out the window. The magnet holds the small die in place, so you can use any of the small dies to cut a hole in the front of the card. And you can place the die almost anywhere on the front that you want.

Below is a photo of the 4-square die (which I think of as a window frame, like a window in a house) located in different places on the front of a card.

hth, Nancy

That was a big help - thanks VERY much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

My Sizzix Movers & Shapers finally came! It had been on backorder from QVC since May.
Reply With Quote Likes