Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sizzix Big Shot: Are ALL the different cutting pads really necessary?

I'm ordering some XL cutting pads to use with my Bigz dies but the sizzlits decorative strips that i want to get aswell say they need the 13" cutting pads which are a totally different item, can i just use the XL cutting pads with the sizzlits...? Thankyou in advance for your help
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Decorative Strips are thinner than the Bigz and Originals dies. You need some sort of platform/shim to make up for the lack of thickness in the sandwich.

You don't need the 13" anything for the Decorative Strips if you have the XL cutting pads and the Sizzix Solo Platform & Shim. (For those with the Essentials Platform, it looks like this product is the new and improved version.)

I suggest getting the Solo Platform & Shim to use with your Extended Cutting Pads so you're set to handle anything. If you get the set-up that's specifically for Decorative Strips, that's all you'll be able to use it for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

thankyou)) I have an essentials platform, typical they would bring out a new one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

All these "sandwich recipes" have me completely overwhelmed! I'm getting ready to purchase a Big Shot & have even bought a few dies already. [Putting the cart before the horse, I know.] But, all this talk of needing extra platforms is sounding costly. What about the "No More Shims" thingy? Doesn't this take the place of any extra platform that might be needed? I tried looking through the thread of FAQ for Big Shot, but it's HUGE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Your new machine will come with everything you need to cut & emboss every size EXCEPT the Decorative Strip and the Bigx XL dies.* These dies are longer (and the DS are thinner, as well) than the "usual" dies & embossing folders/plates used in most manual diecutters.

With the items in the box, a pair of Extended Cutting Pads, and the Solo Platform & Shim, you'll be able to use every die/embossing folder/embossing plate on the market EXCEPT those made for the large-format machines like the Big Shot Pro.

*The Big Shot Pro dies need the BSP machine since they are both longer and wider than usual Sizzix dies. (They're 12x12 and 12x25 and absolutely gorgeous.)

ETA If you want to use the Sizzix Texturz Plates, you'll need to buy the Texturz starter kit. It has a couple Texturz plates and the shim & silicone pad you need to emboss with the Texturz Plates. Other Texturz kits just have a couple plates -- no shim & pad.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 09-29-2011 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobalay1983View Post
thankyou)) I have an essentials platform, typical they would bring out a new one!
You're very welcome!

If you have the EP, you're fine using it and the Extended Cutting Pads for the Decorative Strips. I do it all the time. (I don't have the Solo Platform & Shim. I haven't run across a situation where I need it -- yet.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Remember a lot of this can be bought through the Big Box Stores with 40% off coupons. It makes it so much more reasonable! The good thing is that with 5 years of using my BS a TON, I still do not need a new platform, a new crease pad, a new texturz silicone rubber or impressions pad. The only thing that needs replacing are the cutting strips. The rest of it seems to last a REALLY long time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 04:32 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

If either the BIGkick or Big Shot are used properly, the only consumable needing to be replaced are the clear acrylic cutting pads. When they get so that you can not see through them.....time to replace.

Purchasing in a store is much cheaper than over the internet. You can use coupons and no shipping.

The other items used with either machine should never need replacing unless you are using the machines improperly.

I have the BIGkick and all the items for it and only replace the cutting pads about every 6 months or so. Use both sides of pads for longer usage.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Remember a lot of this can be bought through the Big Box Stores with 40% off coupons. It makes it so much more reasonable! The good thing is that with 5 years of using my BS a TON, I still do not need a new platform, a new crease pad, a new texturz silicone rubber or impressions pad. The only thing that needs replacing are the cutting strips. The rest of it seems to last a REALLY long time!
Exactly. I think Nikki and I would be considered power users. We love our machines & dies! I've only ever had to replace the clear cutting pads/strips/plates (people call them so many things, but we're talking about the clear plates that get all scratched up); never any of the platforms or the Texturz stuff.

Once in a while, Michaels has 50% coupons, and they'll take Joanne's 50% coupons, as well. The 40% ones are far more common, though. I do wait for a 50% when I'm in the market for a Big Kick (I've given a few as gifts), but the price of the cutting pads is low enough that the savings between a 40% and a 50% coupon is only about $2.

If you ever have a 40% or 50% coupon and don't have something else to buy, get an extra set of Extended cutting pads and tuck them away. The only time I actually broke a cutting pad (it was really warped and scratched up and on its last legs) was at 1AM while finishing up some treats for a class party later that morning. I was VERY glad to have an extra set on hand!

The Extended cutting pads will work for any die that fits though a BS/BK/Vintaj/Vagabond, so that's the size I keep in my stash for emergencies.

Oh, and sign up for the Sizzix Scoop email newsletter. There are sales on sizzix.com each week, and the Outlet there is terrific.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Yet another time when you all come to the rescue! Thanks so much for helping me with my concerns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Great infomation ladies thankyou. Curse living in the UK those sort of things are very rarely on sale and we never get more then about 20% off. Will be getting myself some extended cutting pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Boobalay, sizzix.com runs UK/EU specials. If you have Facebook, Friend them and you'll get the info.

Facebook page for Sizzix

Here's the current UK/EU post:

UK and EU fans: Brand new offer from Sizzix.co.uk � up to 75% off selected Bigz and Originals! Don�t miss it! UK/EU Bigz and Originals Offer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes