Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simple die cut machine to join Cameo?

I have a Silhouette Cameo which I LOVE but I really love the look of embossing folders and there is also the occasional metal die that grabs my attention. So, i am contemplating getting a simple machine to join the Cameo for these things. Given that the Cameo was a big investment, i don't necessarily want to spend a ton or want something too big but would definitely want something sturdy. Which machines would be top of your list and why? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Cuttlebug and the Big Shot......love them both. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Love my Big Shot but would like something that takes bigger folders like a grand calibur or ebosser.
Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I love my big shot. I have had it since 2007 and it works as well today as it did when I bought it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Had my cuttlebug since 2006. Love that it is small and portable. Though if you like larger dies I agree the Grand Caliber is a good bet. I have that on too. I wish I had more large dies but it is also great for being able to manipulate folder positioning on cards. I have fed normal folders through sideways on a large card in my GC. I still grab my bug 1st though. Might get one in B/S/T.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest you go with a Sizzix big shot/kick or bigger if you can. Some folders may not fit thru the smaller embossing machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Cuttlebug (first big papercraftng tool), Big Shot and Grand Calibur. Yes the GC can accommodate wider dies but you cannot use any thick dienin it so was not a smart purchase for me. I find my Big Shot my first choice for die cutting. My CB is my portable die cutting machine. The BS is a sturdy and heavier machine than the CB.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the Cuttlebug and the Big Shot, and MUCH prefer the Big Shot. And the reason I have the Big Shot is that I am not a contortionist, but felt like I needed to be with the Cuttlebug. I had to hold the top of the machine with my left hand to keep it from moving, hold the sandwich in place with my torso and crank the darn thing with my right hand. I love the longer footprint of the Big Shot, and when I found out my CB plates would work in the Big Shot, my decision was made. I LOVE my Big Shot, and my Cameo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with the other posters- its important to decide how large you may want to go with folders/dies. This link takes you to a site that has a great compatibility chart of dies/machines.
Personal recommendation? Go as large as you have space/finances for. I bought a 'bug years ago, and got fed up with dies/folders I liked getting too large for it. With that redundancy in mind, I opted to go with a BS Pro- 12 1/2" wide opening, and able to take any die size on the market. I figured there is never going to be anything larger than this machine can handle I am likely to want to use. I still use my 'bug for small, quick stuff, but like that I can run more than one die/folder through my BS Pro at once, as long as they are the same type.
I also have a Silhouette, and in case anyone doesn't know, Silhouette store has all shapes half price until the end of March!
Reply With Quote Likes