Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Silhouette or Wishblade? Which one?

I'm in the market for a digital die cut machine. I've read that the Silhouette and the Wishblade are made by the same company. For those of you who have the Silhouette or Wishblade, could you tell me what was the deciding factor in getting either machine? What are the pros and cons?

BTW-I'm not interested in the Cricut, CraftRobo, Klik-n-kut, or Pazzles.

TIA for your input!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

bumping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

I have a Wishblade and LOVE it. I have never used the Silhouette so I can't compare them for you. I have yet to figure ourt everything there is to the Wishblade, but that's because of my schedule. It does cut any true type font, and I have only been disappointed with very "thin" fonts - I have not been successful in not rippping them. The "directions" are nonexistent, and I have not found their website to be helpful. In fact, the Xyron people told me to join the Yahoo users group as that was the best source of information! While I have not had a chance to do that yet I have used the machine many times in the limited scope I have figured out. I do love it. It takes some playing around to determine the right blade, etc. Someone else I know has one and was able to spend the time learning all about it right away. She does AMAZING things with it.

I hope this has helped a little.
~ Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I would sugguest looking at the software sold with it. that would be the biggest difference other than price (if there is a difference).

just out of curiosity, why are you not interested in Craft robo? it's the same machine as wishblade and sillhouette

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

At first look, the CR seemed like it had more steps rather than the simplicity of just making the words/image.

If they're the same machine, should I expect the W/B and Silhouette to be able to do the same thing as the C/R? Would I be able to print and take my print out to the W/B or Silhouette and have it cut around it as well?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

yes, Craft Robo can do print and cut. I THINK the craft robo is less expensive than wishblade and sillhouette, but it's the same machine.

so really I'd just sugguest you look at all 3 and compare the software, and price, and decided bassed on that.

HTH
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I've looked at the specs of each machine and oh my goodness it's overwhelming! Initially I said I wasn't interested in either the K-n-K and CR and it looks like I need to reconsider. This is a tough decision, but better to do my homework and make sure I spend wisely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 04:05 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I bought a wishblade in Sept and just upgraded to a 15 inch klic and kut a couple of weeks ago.. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
The only problem with the klic and kut is the amount of free files to be found. Since not to many people have it at the moment there aren't to many free files. I see that changing though with all of the people now buying the knk element. I would def get the klic n kut!!!! If not I have a blue wishblade for sale, which I also loved until I got the K NK!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Silhouette or Wishblade

I have the older version of Wishblade. The silhouette comes with a lot of free files to get you started (which makes it much more user friendly) and you can purchase other ones from their website. You can also purchase files for the Wishblade from the Xyron Design site. I believe the Silhouette is almost $100 cheaper than the Wishblade and can do the same things. Make sure that when you load your software you check with either Quikutz (Silhouette) or Xyron (Wishblade) because there were some software issues that have been resolved with a patch.

Here is a link a couple of sites that were very useful in helping me get started with my wishblade with lots of advice and free files to download.
http://paperthreads.com/forum/index.php
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wishbl...guid=274647932

They are wonderful machines and so much fun. Just takes a little time to feel confident in using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:11 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Also,

The shiloutte comes with a 90 day warrenty and the wishblade has a full year...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Okay, so I've narrowed it down to the CR (granted it's the same machine as the Wishblade and Silhouette) and the KNK. I like the KNK for all that it offers such as cutting chipboard, shrink plastic, and plastic. Could you tell me where I could get the best price/service for either machine? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I meant to say that I like the KNK for that fact that it offers to cut chipboard, shrink plastic, and fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have sold these machines for over a year now...and yes, the WB and Silhouettes are actually the same machine as the Craft Robo, they're just marketed by two different companies. So, with that in mind...the CR is the cheapest of the 3 and also has updates available for FREE and also is Vista compatible.

I have a 15" KNK and have seen the KNK Element as well. For a little bit more money, the KNK Element is an AWESOME machine! It only cuts 9" wide but you can cut as LONG as you want...and it cuts thin chipboard. Something the CR/WB/S cannot do.

If you want more info about any of the electronic diecut machines, feel free to email me! I'd love to help you find the right machine to fit your needs AND budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

These are the 2 Wishblade Yahoo groups I belong to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheScr...CutterSupport/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wishblade/

I have taken a couple of online classes through the 1st one and learned so much!!

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

If you are still undecided and want more info then a great place to look is the Craft Robo section of the UKScrappers.co.uk forum.

I have a Craft Robo and I think it's great for the money, although you can't cut really thick materials with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Holy Cow, the KnK is $1300!!! WOW. I had a yard sale yesterday so that I could save for the Silhouete that my local craft store. Well I made $600 and was excited because that leaves me with $300 after I purchase the Silhouete.
Is the KnK really worth the money? I just make cards for fun right now but would like to get into scrapbooking.
I hope to hear more from everyone on this subject.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I bought the klic n kut a month ago and got a great deal.. It was a demo and i paid 900 with tax and shipping.. I think for most people the knk element is the best option... It will accept 12 inch paper but only cuts 9 inches. Does the chipboard and all the stuff the 15 knk will do.. smaller price..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Suzie, so you mean that you can put a 12 x 12 piece of paper in the machine? And then the largest square or heart or whatever image can only be cut at 9" or smaller?
And it really is that much better than the others?
I love toys!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

My KnK Element is on it's way here... I can't hardly wait!!!:cool: I got the new "pink" Wishblade when HSN had its' sale, I love it.. but, for what I wanted to do, cut a lot of SU paper, I hated to have to cut twice on some of the colors... sometimes it wouldn't line up just right and cut just over the other cut, yikes, there goes another piece of cardstock.

I talked with the gal who demo's the element for the company and she was able to help so much with my decision... yeah...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Klic-N-Kut/

You might want to check here at this group... also over at Paper Threads, these is a great comparison thread on all the machines.... click on forum, then go down to the comparison thread.... http://paperthreads.com/

Have Fun!!!
Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks, Faith.
I had planned on buying the 12 X 12 cricut but the girl at the LSS talked me out of it and into the Silhouete and now I hear about this Knk. I just have to laugh becuase that always happens to me.
So what size paper does this use, and if it isn't 12 x 12 it that a pain to work with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

this is copied from the paperthreads forum about the element.. I would definalty get this over the CR, Wishblade or Shilloute... I have the wishblade and KnK! The Wishblade looks tiny and cheap compared to the KnK, plus the knk cuts sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better!!

This past weekend (June 2 � 4), Susan (my Cutter World partner) and I had the unique opportunity to demonstrate the new KNK Element at a retreat in Minneapolis. And we loved it! Here�s a summary of our findings during the 48 hours we spent with this new cutter:

(1) It�s beautiful and it�s powerful! The Element has 500g of cutting force, which is over twice that of the Wishblade, Silhouette, and the Craft Robo. You can cut ALL of your favorite cardstocks and even thin, flexible chipboard. The new Element has a white matte finish with a soft blue and green key panel. Compared to the original bright yellow 13� and 15� KNK�s, the coloring of this cutter will easily coordinate with a crafter�s hobby room. We also discovered how fun it was to cut out colored vinyl flowers, flourishes, and stripes to further personalize it! When I get my own Element, I�m going to go wild with color! J

(2) It has 9� wide cutting. This is a full 1� wider than the other cutters listed above. While this may not seem like a lot more, it can make the difference with certain projects such as cutting envelopes to fit cards and other fold-up designs. There�s no limit to the length of cutting, thus if you want to cut large vinyl words and phrases for your walls, this is the cutter for you!

(3) It has a 13� wide opening. The Element will come with a 9� wide mat, but the opening will accept a full 13�, which I tested. It not only fit my 13� mat perfectly, but it was a firm fit and I believe this will actually provide stability from any possible rotational slippage during cutting.

(4) You can cut all the way to one side of a 12� x 12� sheet. The Element was designed for paper crafters to be able to cut from a full 8.5� x 11� sheet. But my first goal upon testing was to see how efficiently I could cut from a 12 x 12� sheet. And the results were just as I had hoped! You can align your 12� x 12� sheet and set the origin so that you can cut to the far left side of that sheet. This means that you can arrange for most of your waste to be on one side and, thus, have larger scraps to work with, after trimming off the excess.

(5) Cutting from scraps is simple! Since you set the origin before each cut, you can easily use up small scraps by setting the software to cut a single image at the origin. Thus, if you have a scrap that�s, for example, 2� x 2� and you need a 1� daisy, there will be no problem cutting it.

(6) Custom designing images is a breeze! Okay, this was not a new discovery to us. We were already aware of the many features in the KNK Studio software including two kinds of auto-tracing, three kinds of welding, embossing capability, a laundry list of ways to transform, warp, outline, and shadow your titles and images, Ginsu-knife tools for breaking up images, and on and on! No other cutting software package has this complete bundle of features.

The best part of our demo at the Saturday night crop was designing and cutting �real things� for scrappers� layouts! The items we made were coming straight from the scrapbookers� imaginations to the computer to the cutter and then to their layouts and it was satisfying to use the new Element this way! I had a large selection of my own TTF fonts installed from which to select, and with each title designed, we played with the umpteen ways to personalize it. Our biggest challenge that evening was cutting a phrase of �� letters from a very heavy cardstock using a shabby-chic, rough-edged font. And it worked! (Don�t try THIS with your best friend�s Wishblade!)

In summary, this new machine is truly �cutting edge� (pardon the pun!). At $549, it�s a bit higher than the new Wishblade II and Silhouette, but the added functionality (500g cutting force, 9" cutting width, and feature-packed software) makes it a far better value than anything else on the market. Absolutely consider this cutter if you're currently shopping for one! Note that the $549 price includes the cutter, software, cables, mat, blade holder with two blades... basically everything you need to get started cutting. If you order by July 1, a Font and Clipart CD (with 3900 vector images) will also be included. The first Elements will begin shipping later this month.

If you have any questions, just post them here! I'll be watching AND I know Michelle will be, too! :-)

Sandy McCauley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

So now the question is, where do I purchase one of these?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

go to this link...

http://www.paperthreads.com/store/in...oducts_id=1209

I think you have to preorder they are backordered..But well worth the wait.. You will not regret it..................

Susie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

http://stickystuff.biz/

This is where Sandy, who wrote the posting at Paperthreads, sells them, and also Michelle at Paperthreads sells them. They are on order, If you wanted one, I would put my name in for one, the first sold out really fast...

http://paperthreads.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Klic-N-Kut/ Both Sandy & Michelle are on this board... and Susan also...

Good Luck with your purchase!! Mine should be here Friday, the 20th....

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

I have a 15" KNK and love it. I am still learning the KNK studio, but mostly work in Illustrator anyways. I have heard great results from many many people who already have the KNK. Good luck in your decision. I own the Craft Robo as well, but needed something larger to work with and that could cut thicker items for future plans.

I think the cutters are great to purchase no matter what you do. There are hundreds if not thousands of free files out there and you won't have to buy cartridges to get a different type font you can use whatever is on your computer. What's better then that??!!!

Enjoy!
Chris
Freebie Cutter Files GSD, KNK, WPC at
visualdesignsbychris "dot" blogspot "dot" com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 04:12 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Chris, the last poster, has a great blog and gives away free files daily! I visit her blog daily. She also has them for sale at paperthreads.. Chris, I am glad you got the KnK, I was having to convert the files before!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Based on all your help, I've finally decided on the KNK.

Susie-thanks for the info! That's what I need to know.

BTW-I saw on another link that sunnysnowflake has preordered the KNK. Woohoo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I meant "thread" not "link".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I did preorder and I keep telling myself that I will not have buyers remorse! I refuse It is a good thing and I will start scrapbooking when I recieve it. I promise to at least keep thinking that. ha ha
Go for it and we can learn together!

And yes, thanks ladies for all the info!!! It was very good to read through it all and digest to make the best decision. You are superb enabelers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Bubble Busted

Okay, so after I posted that I had decided the KNK was the best of all machines for me to order, I told and sent my husband the link. His response after looking at the specs was he wanted to know the warranty and that he doesn't like the dongle feature (he's a techie geek). Anyway, I'm still hoping I that I can change his mind by telling him about it's warranty. Does any one have any details on the warranty? If so, please give me the details and enable me to get one!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

All three are the same machine. The only difference is the software.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

i believe it is a one year warrenty.. I know mine even being a demo they gave me a full year warrenty.. You may want to go over to the paperthreads group or the yahoo knk group and ask.. YOU HAVE TO GET THIS!! you will love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

as for the dongle thing.. I would rather not have it.. But I can understand there need for it.. So much illegal copys of software going around.. I have two computers, one in my craft room and one downstairs, so I have to move the dongle to use it on the other computer.. But before the dongle you could only load it on one computer.. I think that is more of a pain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

MOMOFONESON your blog has beautiful pictures... You have a wonderful talent!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #35  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
Chris, the last poster, has a great blog and gives away free files daily! I visit her blog daily. She also has them for sale at paperthreads.. Chris, I am glad you got the KnK, I was having to convert the files before!
Thank you Susie for the positive words about my blog.

Enjoy!
Chris Durnan
Freebie Cutter Files: GSD, WPC, KNK
visualdesignsbychris.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes