Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shedding Glitter EP - Is this just the nature of the beast?

I have always been glitter averse - way too messy, and I can’t stand bits of stray glitter winking at me from all over the studio - but I thought glitter EP might be a solution. I bought a set of Wow glitter embossing powders, and am doing sample tags for my EP tag ring and while they are lovely to look at, I find that they do continue to shed glitter. I have brushed them off after heat setting them and while they seem well stuck on, tiny specks of glitter still continue to come off if I run my fingers over the image. Which I have done a bunch of times. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations about this stuff. Maybe there’s a better brand. Maybe I could put a sealer over it. Thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I've only tried glitter EP once, and I don't remember any problem like that, it just wasn't glittery enough for me. Lovely to see a post from you, Robin, I often wonder how you are doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Hello Sabrina! Yes, I’ve been doing some crafting here and there, mostly things other than cards. I learned how to make those shadow boxes out of 12x12 paper and been obsessed with doing them up and also doing very large tags.

I actually love the look of the glitter EP, I like that it’s not so glittery, but really, if I look at my tags on the ring, there’s specks of glitter on the back of every one, from them rubbing up against each other. Not much, a few specks, but it annoys me. I’m expecting to be told I need to just accept this if I want to use the stuff, but had to ask. One can always hope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Synchronicity - I was thinking about you yesterday. I even looked to see if I missed recent posts. :shock:

I tried EP glitter once but it’s not my thing; I don’t remember if it shed. I’m not bit on glitter but Elizabeth Crafts Design Silk Microfine Glitter does not shed - for me. I’ve used it with self adhesive sheets and Scor-Tape or similar. I wouldn’t have known about it, but took a class from them at a Stamp & SB Expo - we used lace cloth to make a pattern on die cuts. 

It’s extremely fine and velvety after being burnished/polished for a few seconds with a finger. I love the neutrals, very soft and not blazing hot bling but definitely glitter. 

Elizabeth has lots of to-the-point instructional videos showing how she uses it, and even project sheets to download. Here’s the glitter: https://www.elizabethcraftdesigns.com/collections/glitter

I’d love to see some of your tags and shadow boxes. 

Beth

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Hey, Beth! Yes, I lurk here every so often, but I haven't been crafting consistently. I've started getting back into it, though, because I realized I missed it. I'll post some stuff to my gallery this week. 

I'll take a look at this videos, but I do wish someone would tell me that there's a brand of glitter EP that doesn't continue to shed, however minimally. Or, failing that, that I'm dreaming the impossible dream, and if I want to use this stuff I need to get over myself. ;-)!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I can get out of my own way about some things, but not shedding glitter. Looking forward to seeing your projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 02:56 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Rachelrose, I have a lot of WOW glitter ep, and have made my own in the past by mixing a little glitter into ordinary EP. First question, is the WOW definitely glitter EP? I ask that because they also do WOW Sparkles, which is just glitter.
Second, do you give the pot a good shake before using- I'm guessing you do.
 I've not had a problem with much shedding from glittery EP,at least not that I've noticed, but if you are, I'd suggest you can cure the issue by adding a coat of normal clear EP over the top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 03:34 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Hey, Shaz! Interesting that you posted this because it confirms what I heard on a YouTube video last night about the need to shake the jar (yes, mine is definitely glitter EP, not just glitter), and I haven't been doing that. This is my first time with glitter EP so I hadn't even thought to do it. I think I'll retry my sample tags today, giving the jar a shake to distribute the EP powder better. I'm not sure how you would do a coat of clear on top. Wouldn't it be hard to restamp the image with Versamark on top of glitter EP because it isn't smooth like regular EP? How do you do that? 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 05:35 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Robin, yes. you're probably right, it might be difficult. Might be possible with a stamping platform, you could stamp a couple of times then. I almost always forget to shake mine, lol, and then you end up with an uneven coating, and that might be what's happening?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 05:49 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Nope. Shook it up, heated it properly, let it cool. It's not like it's shedding a lot, but every single time I run my fingers over it a shard or two comes off. I think it's just the way this stuff is. I suppose one might say "Well, quit running your finger over it!" But I can't imagine sending someone a card and having tiny bits of glitter having strayed over the card front from rubbing against the envelope. Glitter. Ugh. Love how it looks, hate working with the stuff. I may have to just call this a trial balloon that, for me, isn't going to get off the ground. There's plenty of beautiful regular EP to choose from that, once heated, obediently stays completely in place. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 06:22 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Hey, Shaz! Interesting that you posted this because it confirms what I heard on a YouTube video last night about the need to shake the jar (yes, mine is definitely glitter EP, not just glitter), and I haven't been doing that. This is my first time with glitter EP so I hadn't even thought to do it. I think I'll retry my sample tags today, giving the jar a shake to distribute the EP powder better. I'm not sure how you would do a coat of clear on top. Wouldn't it be hard to restamp the image with Versamark on top of glitter EP because it isn't smooth like regular EP? How do you do that? 

If you're quick enough, the clear embossing powder would probably stick to the glitter EP while it's still hot.  I've done multiple layers of embossing powder without reinking the image as long as I went straight from heating it to dumping more EP on.  Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 06:28 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

You're right and I'll try that this afternoon and report back. I totally get it, I've done multiple layers of EP lots of times just by taking advantage of the fact that EP will stick to hot EP. Makes sense. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Well, I did a second coat of clear, and it definitely helped. Excellent idea, Shaz. I would say it reduced things to something I can accept. 

But, oh, glitter. This is the first time I have ever allowed a glitter product into my studio. Like I said in my original post, I've always been glitter averse, it is just so staticky and messy. It clings to everything. It gets everywhere. 

I'll be curious to see whether I find myself using it. Whether, now that I've discovered how to get it pretty well stuck on, I'll at some point think while I'm working on a project "You know, this would look so much better in glittery gold EP than plain gold EP."

Never say never, I suppose. ;-)!

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 02:22 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I love glitter EP and use it all the time.  After heating, I give it a couple seconds to cool then rub gently with a soft brush like a stipple brush.  Still sheds a bit but it's better.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2020, 02:00 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I watched a Jennifer McGuire video where she recommended Swiffer cloths for Glitter/EP cleanup. She cuts each cloth down to 3 or 4 pieces, So I bought some, and they do seem to make clean up much easier, the stuff sticks to the cloths really well. Also work great for getting it off your hands. Really pleased the Clear EP has done the trick.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2020, 02:01 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the basic problem is that the glitter particles are mica, they don't melt and stick themselves,  they are only held on by the bits of embossing powder they are surrounded by. 
I have some "stamp paint" that stays glittery without shedding, but it is terrible for actual stamping. I painted it onto paper beads and that worked well. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2020, 02:04 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I follow Jennifer Mcguire’s suggestion too. She uses the flat Swiffers for floors, not the fluffy ones for dusting. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I've found the perfect solution to the glitter issue. I love the bling and the sparkle of glitter but hate cleaning it up. I've purchased a number of cheap glitter nail polishes. They are perfect for using on die cuts. Yes, you need to let them dry overnight, but no glitter comes off. I've attached two examples. The peacock is done with a shiny turquoise and green polishes. The flamingo is pink polish with a coat of clear glitter polish over the top.  Also note that when sending cards to hospital patients, you really should never have any glitter that may come off.

Attached Thumbnails
Shedding Glitter EP - Is this just the nature of the beast?-peacock_by_ldumont999.jpg   Shedding Glitter EP - Is this just the nature of the beast?-flamingo_by_ldumont999.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try Glossy Accents or a Spray Fixative

Maybe try putting a thin coat of Glossy Accents or a permanent glue that dries clear overtop of the glitter. Haven’t done this myself, but putting some kind of sealant overtop may stop the glitter from shedding. The clear nail polish idea is also a good one. 

Last edited by CJ Crafty Designs; 02-25-2020 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Add more ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like to use WOW paper by American Crafts. The glitter is totally embedded in the paper and the paper surface is smooth. There is no shedding of glittery particles!

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I also got some of those swiffer things, having seen them on probably the same JmcG video as you, Shaz.

Glitter nail polish is an interesting idea. But it wouldn't work for stamping.

You're not supposed to send cards with glitter to overseas troops, either. And I can understand why. On the first day I posted and was playing with all the ideas suggested, I went into the bathroom to get ready to go to bed and there was a speck of glitter on my forehead. ! Glitter! Once it's in your life you cannot ever entirely escape it.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-25-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

With the WOW! glitter embossing powers you could maybe add a second coat using clear embossing powder to seal it? It also needs a gentle tap tap instead of a finger flick to make sure the glitter stays put and be heated from the bottom first so the glitter doesn't blow off. One of their design members demonstrated it in a video, I learned a lot from it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

I also got some of those swiffer things, having seen them on probably the same JmcG video as you, Shaz.

Glitter nail polish is an interesting idea. But it wouldn't work for stamping.

You're not supposed to send cards with glitter to overseas troops, either. And I can understand why. On the first day I posted and was playing with all the ideas suggested, I went into the bathroom to get ready to go to bed and there was a speck of glitter on my forehead. ! Glitter! Once it's in your life you cannot ever entirely escape it.

Oh yes - I quite often spot glitter on DH, and he's always surprised that he's picked some up but promises me that it's all mine ;-). And I don't even use that much - it can hang around for days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

I have always been glitter averse - way too messy, and I can’t stand bits of stray glitter winking at me from all over the studio - but I thought glitter EP might be a solution. I bought a set of Wow glitter embossing powders, and am doing sample tags for my EP tag ring and while they are lovely to look at, I find that they do continue to shed glitter. I have brushed them off after heat setting them and while they seem well stuck on, tiny specks of glitter still continue to come off if I run my fingers over the image. Which I have done a bunch of times. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations about this stuff. Maybe there’s a better brand. Maybe I could put a sealer over it. Thoughts?

I read somewhere that you have to shake glitter EP before each use as the glitter settles to the top. Not sure if this could be part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 03:25 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Yes, that has been suggested here, and I immediately tried it but it didn't make a difference. The best luck I've had is with immediately recoating the hot glitter EP with clear EP. That did not eliminate shedding, but helped noticeably. I've yet to try doing a coating of Glossy Accents or anything else. And I don't think the paper is the problem. I'm not using Wow paper, but I'm using good smooth heavy cardstock. And I've also tried hot press WC paper. It's just that's it's glitter, so it is going to shift. Which is why I've always avoided it. But there are times when a glittery stamped image would be nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 03:50 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Have you considered controlling the amount of glitter by making your own glitter EP? The ratio of glitter to EP would be lower, so less if any shedding. Less sparkle but still some. The first part of this older JM video goes into it, though it’s very simple.

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 03:56 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Forgot: I read that Modpodge or collage medium or watered down school glue keeps glitter from shedding. And some people have mentioned hair spray, which makes me wonder about a good fixative. 

The one my LSS owner and mixed media makers switched to is Design Master Clear Finish in matte, though it comes in gloss. It makes a hard finish and should only be used outdoors. 

Last edited by bjeans; 02-26-2020 at 04:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2020, 04:08 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I've thought about mixing my glitter EP into my regular EP, yes. I haven't tried it yet. But I will. Thanks for the link! I have some spray fixative, maybe I'll try that. But the idea of adding the glitter and regular EP together is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes