Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharpies & Bics

Ok I was just at a thread that was saying bout the deals on them.. uhm how do you use them for stamping? don't they bleed thru your card stock? Or is there a video.. or technique where I can read ?

TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I think the Sharpies and Bic MarkIts are being used mainly as a cheaper alternative to the latest craze, the COPIC markers. The Copics are alcohol based markers and are rather expensive compared to water based markers like the ones made by SU, Tombow, Marvey and others.

The Copics are are used many times, by comic illustrators and designers, I think. There are many sites that you can read about Copics. One that seems to be a favorite is ilovemarkers.com.

As far as I know, the Sharpies and Bic MarkIts are used to color in the stampes images. They are alcohol based so the image need to be stamped in an ink that will not "bleed" when the marker touches it. I use Memento Tuxedo Black made by Tsukineko.

Yes, mine do bleed through the back of the cardstock but I have seen paper pads advertised the are supposed to be used with the COPIC markers that say the markers will not bleed through. So, I guess you could use those papers if the idea of the bleeding really bothers you. It does NOT bother me because I just figure it is covered by the different layers anyway so no one will see it.

I am still practicing with my Bic MarkIts, trying to get the knack of shading or "blending." For me, it is not as easy as with the waterbased markers. But I think it is a matter of practice. I HOPE!!!:-D

I think if you do a search here, you will find a lot of inks for the Copics.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a great tutorial about coloring with markers and shading techniques. She uses the SU markers, which are water based, but the same techniques can be used with almost any markers, as far as shading goes.

The Bics and Sharpies are alcohol based but much, much cheaper than Copics. I use them with good results.

http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the input.. I was thinking I was going to buy Copics soon.. erm bics & sharpies here I come..erm maybe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I love my BICs -sooooo much cheaper than Copics. As for shading-it's different in that you have to layer the colors for the shading-the inks will not blend.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I love my Bics and my sharpies, they were so much cheaper than the copics. You do have to layer the colors, but they work out well. Bought the set of 36 Bic in the fine tip and the big set of the sharpie in extra fine for detailing. if you go to youtube there are several videos there that show you how to use the bics and sharpies for shading with stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes