Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scor-Pal vs. Martha Stewart Score Board?

I am contemplating purchasing one of these scoring tools. Does anyone have an opinion about which is better/easier to use? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have tried both and own the martha one!

I like it because it:
has more score line choices
has a guide to tell you where to score for certain cards
has a place to store your scorer or embossing tools
can also make envelopes with it
and its cheaper!

I love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bkcstamps....Check out the other threads on this website on this very subject for lots of responses.

I use the Scor-Pal for all my scoring needs.....cards, envelopes, 3D items. The Scor-Pal website is a wealth of information for projects and tutorials. They also have great Customer Service for responding to any quesitons.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I wish I could tell you that I like the Martha Stewart Score Board, because you can't beat the price. But honestly, I need to get around to returning mine! I thought the extra score lines would come in handy, but the tool is too busy! :( I couldn't follow a straight line all the way down. Not only are there too many lines to see, but the scoring tool didn't stay in the groove the way it does with the Scor-Pal. And I like the result you get better with the Scor-Pal (a nice deep impression). I can't wait until Scor-Pal comes out with their new small one!!! It'll be handy just for folding A2 sized cards. (sorry if it's out already; I haven't been crafting or on here in forever!)

Please note that I am probably as unbiased as you can get! I haven't been a regular user of one (& become partial). I also had the perfect excuse to get the MS one, because I gave my friend who was moving back to Germany my unopened Scor-Pal (that I bought right before hearing about the MS Score Board). However, after trying both, it was easier to spend the extra money for the Scor-Pal!!! It is worth every penny! (and like pjw said, there website is amazing...last I checked, there were over 150 projects to create!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Love my Scor-Pal and can see so benefits to Martha but I work around the issues of not a s many score lines!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my ScorPal..but my sweet friend has purchased one of the MS Scoreboards and it will be here one day soon. Not sure if I like it or not as I have not even SEEN one...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I just got the MS board about two weeks ago with a Michael's 40% off coupon. I got it for $12.00. It's wonderful and you just can't beat that price!
I don't have any trouble with all the lines and I don't have any trouble jumping the track while scoring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have both and prefer the martha board although the scor-pal scoring tool is better. I need all those lines - I'm mathmatically challenged! I'll probably keep and use both though. That Martha price can't be beat either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default Martha Stewart scoring board

I have tried all of the boards out there and found the Martha Stewart one is the number 1 best! Plus there is a 50% off coupon this week on line for Michaels! That means you can pick one up for a little over $10! This is my favorite toy! Now that Michaels is having Crop nights once a month, I'm taking mine in and do a demo......I love it soooo much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkcstampsView Post
I am contemplating purchasing one of these scoring tools. Does anyone have an opinion about which is better/easier to use? Thanks!
The Martha Stewart one is the best, easy to use and the best value. Less than $11 with a 50% coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

i just got the martha one and i love it. love that there is more score lines in this one and have not had a problem with it yet... and yes you cant beat the price of it (even in australia where i am its a good price)

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Now which one should you choose?

Again it's a matter of personal preference. I love the Scor-pal but I think the Martha Stewart scoring tool offers more bang for the buck. Here is why....
• The Scor-pal is priced at $39.99 vs Martha's Stewart's version at $19.99
• With the Scor-pal you will most likely be paying for shipping as well, as they are not found in most popular craft stores and you will have to order them online.
• The Martha Stewart version can be found at Michaels, so you can use a coupon to purchase it, meaning you can snag one for between $10 -$12. I got mine for $10 with a 50% off coupon!
• The Martha Stewart version comes with an envelope making tool. The Scor-pal does not.
Quote from "Crafting with Sue"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I, too, have the MS Score board and LOVE it!!!!! I figured that for $10 (after the coupon) it would be a good deal whether or not I decided to keep it or move on to the Scor-Pal. Like CraftyLady states, Scor-Pal has to be ordered online, you'll have extra costs w/shipping, and have to wait for it to show up, :( all very unappealing to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I have had a Scor-Pal for a long time and love it.. I bought a Martha Stewart one using a 50% off coupon at Michael's right after they put them out, used it that night and returned it the next day. I wasn't impressed with the tool, the skinny lines and the measurements given to make an envelope weren't correct.

I know that everybody likes different things.. I just happen to like my Scor-Pal a lot and use it on every single card I make.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I don't know about the envelope sizes not being correct. I have made every envelope size she has printed on there and some of my own sizes and they are all perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

it makes a regular size A2? I might have to purchase one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you can get crisper score lines with the MS tool. I tried a score pal and opted for a score it board instead because the score it made the crisp score lines you need for intricate boxes but I disliked the score it because it was so heavy. The MS tool solves that problem for me.

Yes there are a lot of lines, but once you put your paper over them I don't see them while I'm scoring.

I was afraid I'd loose the score tool as I was used to the score it tool being attached and then I discovered the flip top storage that has the list of dimensions and it holds the tool.

All in all, for $10 it works well, is lightweight, and makes great score lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scor-Pal is the best! Matter of opinion of course! I have seen the MS one, and the grooves are not as deep as the Scor-Pal. Too many lines all the way across, making it so busy! The Scor-Pal is so simple and sturdy. I think the scored lines are perfect for cards. I had a Skor-it for a short while and yes, it does make super scores, but only one place to make a score at a time. I won't knock the product because it is a good one, I gave it to my new craft friend as she first started out. She loves it. I truly love my Scor-Pal though, because I think the spacing of the grooves are just perfect. The depth of the grooves are perfect too, and the scoring tool is now one of my favorite go to tool for scoring and folding. I am also watching and waiting to order Scor-Pal's new smaller version the Scor-Buddy made just for cards! I can't wait! It's due to order anytime here in April!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I own both. I first bought the score-pal and I do love it , but it was around $35-40. Makes lovely scores, but figuring out the math drove me nuts. With a coupon at M's, I bought MS for $11 (and no shipping). Love all the markings, the little place to put the score tool in, the envelope triangle that fits nicely in the back and the table for measurements on the hinge for the score tool. I will say that the MS does have shallower (is that a word) grooves and is easy to slip off the mark. If I'm doing multiple projects with common measurements I reach for the score-pal, if I'm doing off measurements I reach for MS. I think the score-pal is probably better made, more durable, but for the price and no math needed ,MS is a good deal. I think you would be happy with which ever you decide.
HTH
Kathy T in SW IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my Scor-pal. It is probably one of my top five most "needed" things in my craft room. There are a lot of tutorials here on Splitcoast and elsewhere that are set up for the Scor-pal and I like using them all. My scores are always clean and I never lose the little tool because of the nice holder (and I lose everything). It's also really sturdy and you can get the mat for it if you're short on space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks, everyone, for all the great replies. How do you use the Scor-Pal mat and why do you need it? Haven't figured that one out.... If it is a necessary item, why isn't there a similar MS item?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Thanks, everyone, for all the great replies. How do you use the Scor-Pal mat and why do you need it? Haven't figured that one out.... If it is a necessary item, why isn't there a similar MS item?
The mat isn't a necessary item; it's just nice to have. You can use one side as a stamping/work surface and the other side is a self-healing cutting mat. It fits into the well of the Scor-Pal, so you don't have to move the Scor-Pal on & off your worktable. The mat actually isn't used for scoring at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I taught a workshop using the MS Score Board, and one lady who attended brought her SP. She went out and bought an MS Score Board the following week and is planning to return her SP. She was very frustrated with the SP not having 1/8" measurements like the MS. As for the MS tool, I'm wondering if there are two types out there. I've read lots of comments about it being flimsy, but I don't find mine to be flimsy at all. I guess "flimsy" is a subjective term.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
As for the MS tool, I'm wondering if there are two types out there. I've read lots of comments about it being flimsy, but I don't find mine to be flimsy at all. I guess "flimsy" is a subjective term.
Flimsy - hmm, I guess it could seem that way since it's very thin and lightweight. For me that was one of the best things because my Scoreboard weighs a ton. Since you really don't want to press down that hard to make a score, it doesn't need to be that sturdy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

ok I have a question I have the MS Board and love it. How ever I really like the mat that score pal has will it fit with the MS board?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Personally I love my Scor-Pal regular size one but do plan on buying the new one that is smaller in size and it does have 1/8 groves at both ends. Some people talk about the fear of loosing the Scor-Pal tool and that was 1 reason they went with the MS board but the Scor-PAl does have a place that locks the tool at the top of the board so it can't be lost. I also purchased the Ultimate package so I could get the Scor-Mat that fits perfectly in the Scor-Pal (1) side is a self healing mat great for cutting and the (2) side is a great surface to work on even though I do own the ranger Non-Stick Mat, that stays on top of my Scor-Pal with Mat inside. With the Ultimate package with you have never tried the other products that Scor-Pal offers it is a great chance to try 3 different sizes of the Scor-Tape (which I absolutely love) and it has become my go-to tape. The Glitter cloth cleans up embossing powder, Mica Powder, Glitter ect in a snap and that 1 cloth you cut down and it lasts a really long time. You also get a couple extras like an extra scoring tool and the Scor-bug with works great in the Scor-Pal. The Web-site has hundreds of patterns and projects to try. With a 40.00 order you free-shipping at least when I ordered mine back in December.

I tried out the MS board but all the lines being 1/8th apart was a pain to keep the tool from jumping lines. It is also very busy looking. The envelope tool is almost useless IMHO. It appears cheaper made and I doubt it will last as long but with a coupon you can purchase it for 10-12 dollars which is tempting. The tool is terrible but if you have a stylus already, it works better.

I will never buy the MS board even though the price is tempting because Scor-Pal has come out with a Scor-Buddy that is smaller (made especially for card-makers) with the 1/8 grooves at both sides so now you can easily score using that. The Scor-Buddy is only a couple dollars more then the MS board (if using a coupon) but it also quite a bit smaller in size. Scor-Pal has excellent CS, and ships so quickly (mine shipped within hours) and I ordered mine I believe on a Sunday.

Even though MS board was out when I purchased my Scor-Pal (But I had not tried it before my purchase) I do not and will never regret my Scor-Pal it is a must have for me. It always stays front and center on my work surface and placing my Ranger Mat on top of makes it so I can use my heat-gun directly on top of my Scor-Pal since it prevents heat from harming my Scor-PAl.

This is a personal choice to which one you prefer- but the Scor-PAl is absolutely the best I have tried at this point and worth every penny spent. Keep in mind though I purchased the Ultimate package so I could try out basically all the stuff this company sells. I Love My Scor-PAl and regret not buying it alot sooner!!

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sheena thank u for your input I really haven't had a problem with MS I really like the envelopes it makes. I am wanting to get a mat that will fit. I had the scoreit and hated it. When MS came out with hers I loved the fact that I was not limited to the score lines of score pal. I make a lot of odd size boxes and need 1/8" marks a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaQuiltsView Post
ok I have a question I have the MS Board and love it. How ever I really like the mat that score pal has will it fit with the MS board?
First of all, I echo all of Sheena's comments. I only bought the MS board as I demo for Scor-Pal at CHA and teach with it locally and needed to be able to compare and evaluate the MS board.

Regarding the mat, it does "technically fit" the MS board but, the MS board is 12.5" in width so the 12" mat is smaller than the base of the board. Without a right fence to hold it in place, like the Scor-Pal has, it just moves about too easily and slides right out.

Additionally, a small engineering issue with the MS board makes the left ruler not accurate - it's 1/8th of an inch off, meaning the so called 1" mark on the MS board is not at 1". Because of this the grid lines on the Scor-Mat do not match the MS ruler.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Default Best of both worlds -- SU score board!

I love my Scor-Pal, and felt that MS was less deeply cut, which is necessary for Stampin' Up card stock.

BUT YAY! Stampin' Up heard our hearts -- and they have a new scoring board!

I've been using it and it is a dream!

I use my bone folder from SU and there is a double sided stylus tool that gives me the choice of crispness in scoring.

sewknittertats
My blog: www.carascreativecorner.wordpress.com
see the new scoring board

See new Stampin' Up Scoring Board!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would love to here if anyone has gottin their hands on Making Momories scorer-trimmer? I have one on order and I am hoping it will so worth it. I liket he fact that the trimmer and scorer is all one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Quote:

I would love to here if anyone has gottin their hands on Making Momories scorer-trimmer? I have one on order and I am hoping it will so worth it. I liket he fact that the trimmer and scorer is all one.
I just googled and wow! It looks to me like everything we liked about all the other boards rolled into one! Let us know what you think when you start using it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I just googled and wow! It looks to me like everything we liked about all the other boards rolled into one! Let us know what you think when you start using it!
That is what i thought. So needless to say that is why i bought it. I promise i will let you know when i get it how well it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Quote:

That is what i thought. So needless to say that is why i bought it. I promise i will let you know when i get it how well it works.
I'll be watching for your review! I saw that it had an envelope tool like MS and the 1/8" measurements like Simply Scored and MS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I'd like to hear also. I wonder if it will be hard to find refil blades for the trimmer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well It finally came My Making Memoreis Scorer-trimmer
1. when you frist get it, it is folded in half. and the Trimmer is in the resting postion.(didn't know what else to call it but resting postion) so you ahve to lift it up and trun it so you can cut with it no bigger there.
2. it sits higher than MS
3. It has up to 13" making swhere MS have 12 1/2" makings.
4. The score is deeper than MS and I do have to admit a lot nicer
5. The trimmer is nice and smooth and cuts just fine.
So far no complaints
if there is anything you would like me to try I would be happy to jsut let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes