Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Cuttlebug with Big Shot?

I keep hearing great things about the Big Shot. Just wondering if I should have one instead of my Cuttlebug. I also have a Cricut Expression. Okay, experts, what do you think?
My Author's Site
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Sorry...should have read through the Tools section first. :(
My Author's Site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

I'm not an expert, but I will say that I compared the CB to the BS side by side and I went with the BS.

I also have a Slice (hand-held, cordless shape cutter). Between it and the BS my die cutting needs are very well met; I'm primarily a card maker and do not scrapbook.

I can say without hesitation that the BS is a good quality, versatile machine--total work horse--and I don't think you'd regret investing in it whatsoever.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had seen JulieHRR's comparison on her blog after I already had my Cuttlebug. I thought the comparison was really good. I held out for the longest time before I got a Big Shot, thinking that my Cuttlebug was just fine, but after I finally did get my Big Shot, I could see what JulieHRR was saying all along in her blog - and why she switched to the Big Shot. The handle is so much easier to use with the Big Shot and the big base is very solid and can be used on any table surface (unlike the Cuttlebug). I still have my Cuttlebug and I still use it sometimes when I don't feel like getting out my Big Shot and looking up the correct sandwhich to use for my Cuttlebug dies. But, overall, between the two, I much prefer the Big Shot for pretty much all the reasons why JulieHRR went with the Big Shot.

I really should have went with the Big Shot right after seeing JulieHRR's comparison, because after all, she's not known as HRR for nothing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I also ditched my Cuttlebug for a Big Shot. To me, it's just easier to use, more sturdy and I really like the multi-purpose platform.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both the CB and BS and I use the CB the most...that being said, when the CB breaks I will not be getting a new one but using the BS. The CB is a real workhorse and I crank out a lot of cards.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I am still holding out on buying a BS. I have a CB and I like that it folds up for storage.

A friend has a BS and I do like that it feels a lot more solid on the table than my 'bug does. But, I really can't justify spending money on another machine that does the same thing since my 'bug works fine. Plus, I don't have a lot of storage space, so I would have to do some rearranging to store a BS.

If it ever breaks, though, I will invest in a BS. (oh boy! I hope I didn't just jinx my cuttlebug!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

For those that missed JulieHRR's comparison of the Cuttlebug and Big Shot a long time ago, here's where it is (just remember that any pricing that may have been mentioned is old since it's an older post on her blog):
http://papertrufflez.typepad.com/pap....html#comments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Either the BIGkick or BigShot in my opinion are a better machine. Each are sturdier and a bit larger platform than the Cuttlebug.

I have the BIGkick and it's made of a strong plastic material different from the Cuttlebug.

You can purchase the BIGkick in a store with a coupon (which saves shipping costs). The BigShot is not available in any stores in my area.

I have both the BIGkick and Cuttlebug. Cuttlebug came out shortly before the BIGkick. I don't use the Cuttlebug anymore.

BIGkick and BigShot are the same machine as far as exact function, just look different. Both are products of Sizzix.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I had seen JulieHRR's comparison on her blog after I already had my Cuttlebug. I thought the comparison was really good. I held out for the longest time before I got a Big Shot, thinking that my Cuttlebug was just fine, but after I finally did get my Big Shot, I could see what JulieHRR was saying all along in her blog - and why she switched to the Big Shot. The handle is so much easier to use with the Big Shot and the big base is very solid and can be used on any table surface (unlike the Cuttlebug). I still have my Cuttlebug and I still use it sometimes when I don't feel like getting out my Big Shot and looking up the correct sandwhich to use for my Cuttlebug dies. But, overall, between the two, I much prefer the Big Shot for pretty much all the reasons why JulieHRR went with the Big Shot.

I really should have went with the Big Shot right after seeing JulieHRR's comparison, because after all, she's not known as HRR for nothing!
I've seen this said a few times about CB not being used on every surface. This confuses me. I use mine anywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I gave my Cuttlebug away and bought a Big Shot. I liked my Cuttlebug, but I love my Big Shot! The Cuttlebug suction cups didn't work right. I was constantly fighting with it. You still have to hold the Big Shot, but not as much. It is a lot more stable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had the Cuttlebug for a while and love it. But when if/when it breaks, I will get the Big Shot. I am a bit limited with the Cuttlebug with which Sizzix items I can use (ex: the Sizzix/SU embossing folders and decorative strip dies/cutting pads are just too tight).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 03:27 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I chose the BS over the CB, but since you already have one, I have to ask why you want to change? Unless you are dissatisfied with what you have, or want to use the Sizzix dies that won't/don't fit very well in the CB, I say keep it and save your money. I love my BS, but I bought it because I already had Sizzix dies and wanted to use the CB embossing folders, as well as having the option of buying Bigz dies. If you need to replace your machine, then I say go for a BS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftydollsView Post
I chose the BS over the CB, but since you already have one, I have to ask why you want to change? Unless you are dissatisfied with what you have, or want to use the Sizzix dies that won't/don't fit very well in the CB, I say keep it and save your money. I love my BS, but I bought it because I already had Sizzix dies and wanted to use the CB embossing folders, as well as having the option of buying Bigz dies. If you need to replace your machine, then I say go for a BS.
That's what I was going to say. I haven't bought any dies, including Bigz, or folders that can't be used in the Cuttlebug. I probably won't switch when I have a machine that already does what I want it to do. I've had no quality issues with the machine itself, either. And as far as using it on other surfaces, I generally don't use it on anything but a flat surface (except for on the occasional pile of stamping stuff because there were no open spaces on the table )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I had the cuttlebug for a long time and loved it!! It worked great. Then I upgraded to the BS and sold my cuttlebug. I love the BS. The BS can do anything the CB can do, but not vice versa. You wont regret getting the BS there are so many awesome xl dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #16  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 632 Likes on 443 Posts

I bought my big kick with a black friday coupon a few years ago and LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I own a CB and I've used it quite a bit. It gets the work done. However, I had to cut a whole bunch of dies recently and I used my demo's BS and it was awesome! The design, especially the handle at the top, made it very comfortable to use. I will definitely be buying a BS as soon as I can get one at a good price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just got the BS and absolutely love it!!! It cuts everything like butter and embosses everything beautifully. I had the original sizzix machine and the sizzlet machine, and wanted to do the 12" long dies and the 6" wide dies..I tried the Epic Six and didn't like it at all, so I exchanged it for the BS. I am one happy Stamper! No regrets!
P.S. I have nestibilites, cuttlebug, sizzix, sizzlets, Quickutz, dies and embossing folders and it does them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Where is the least expensive place to buy the Big Shot? Does Joann's online carry it? And can you use an online coupon for it?? I went to Joanns site, but they are down for reconstruction. Sometimes I see the BS, by itself with no extras, but does that mean I have to buy the other stuff, platforms or whatever they are called to use it once I get it??? For Nesties and CBs embossing folders??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi ThatGirl...I just posted in our news section (link below) a bunch of coupons you could use if you have any of the stores locally. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, AC Moore or possibly JoAnns because their ad starting today has 40% off die cutting machines & accessories. Woo hoo. Happy shopping!

Darcy :mrgreen:
designingwithdiecuts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you so much for the site, besides the coupons it looks very interesting, I bookmarked it

Unfortunately we dont have Hobby Lobby here or AC Moore. We have Michaels and Joanns. Michaels doesnt sell the Big Shot here and my Joanns they dont either. I did go to Joann's website again still down, but they tell you to go to their store at Amazon. They have a Big Shot for 99.99. Doesnt have anything with it, not sure if that is a good price. I guess that would be a sale price so, couldnt use a 40 off???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you! I am learning that web sites are always under construction :-D.

I would call Joanns...that would be nice if you could get it for 40% off the $90. Just bring up that you see it on Amazon for $90, but the sale flyer says 40% off. Good luck! Maybe I should retire "Old Red" & get a new one. Nahhh. I still love my original Sizzix machine, though it mostly get used for embossing since I bought my KNK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

If you have an Archivers, they have a 30% off coupon until the end of the month. If not, (and I'm not a SU Rep but...) host a workshop and or book party and apply the hostess rewards towards the purchase price or talk to your rep, they sometimes work out 'deals'. Sizzix.com has the 'hello kitty' BS clearenced right now and I'm not sure if you can use their coupons toward the BS but it's worth a look! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes