Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reformed Paper Horders....I need your help!

I am a paper horder! I don't know why I hoard...I love paper, I love to use it but I don't! So I am wondering if you were once a paper hoarder but have changed your ways, what made you change?

What do you say to yourself as your reason for using your paper? How do you justify it all?

I bought the retiring paper packs from SU last year because I LOVED them and could not stand to see them go, but have I used them? no! same thing with the holiday paper..I have 3 unopened packs! And I am considering buying more of the Loves Me paper!

Help! Help me change my ways!

Only a former paper hoarder will know how to change!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well................. I still hoard some paper. The only paper I hoard is the metallic silver stuff. I haven't found it at any local store. The rest I am trying to USE so that I can eventually replenish it.

Of course the bad thing is that Hobby Lobby has their paper 50% off this week. (Bad because I DON'T need to buy any but I hear my name being called... "Kimberly... Come and buy us...")
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Here's how I came to use my designer papers freely:

1. It's not like I'm enjoying it if I'm not using it. I don't even get to see it if it is just put away on a shelf.

2. It's not like I'm going to run out if I use it. A card requires such a small piece of designer paper.

3. I was running out of space to put it. Therefore, I couldn't buy more if I didn't use what I already had...And buying more paper is the ultimate reason to use what you already have.

4. It makes cards so fast, easy, and beautiful.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i hear it too!

even tho i have like the last 4 or 6 die cut with a view STACKS

i have enough paper to choke a horse...

now what are all the fabulous things we can use it for besides cards (that would take years to use that much paper)

i don't scrapbook either! i suppose that would use it alot faster but...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Default paper

It is a sickness, face it, LOL
I used to think my Mom was nuts that she needed to have all this fabric, I just did not understand, then I started buyin paper, love it, love it. All kinds, designer cardstock, all kinds of pretties, and I have a bunch I do not use, it's "waiting"for something special. I try to limit the new stuff until I have a project in mind that calls out for a specific color or design, then I buy some more.
As for other uses, it works great on lunchboxes, scrapbooks, wallpapering your craftroom, lol, I give the junkie stuff to the kids for school projects, I cover notebooks, make collage Christmas ornaments, gift boxes, origami, etc.

By the way, have you seen the new Basic Grey papers? aaaaaah, gotta have um soon, they are gorgeous..... ah, can you say addicted..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I can't say that I'm not a hoarder, but I am trying to learn to use what I have. Here's the thing: I just keep telling myself that every time I go into a store, I see new papers that I want. They will always be there. It looks like SU will be coming out with new papers on a regular basis now. It's okay for me to use what I have, because next month they will have something else that I want. Does that make sense?
The other day, I got up my nerve to open my pack of Recollections paper. I had this great idea in my head, and I needed two cards. What happened? I couldn't find where I had put it. How frustrating is that? I had to completely change the color scheme, and us paper from a stack. (I found it this morning, of course.)
Several months ago, there was a thread asking people how much paper they had. they were measuring it in inches!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Non card use: Today I used some of my cheap stuff to make an envelope for a square card. (I don't have square envelopes.) White side out, pretty side in. It used almost a whole sheet for one envie. Basically just fold the paper around the card you're using, cut and glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm also a paper hoarder, I just don't use it. Not that I think I'll run out and not be able to buy more. I never think of using it since I love stamping my backgrounds. That said, I have lots of Basic Grey I need to use since I thought I would attempt to scrapbook. Made three pages and lost interest.

I need to try more non card making or pull out one sheet and make a bunch of cards like OSW (One sheet wonder).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi, my name is Sandi, and I'm a recovering paper hoarder I'm first a scrapbooker and second a card maker. So now I use my papers to make scrapbook pages - and I can see the purty papers whenever I want. Then with the leftovers, I can make cards... and I have room in my storage for the next paper I see!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I try to buy only one sheet now...unless I know I am working on a special project with that very theme or paper. I used to buy at least 2 sheets per each pattern and several from each line. I don't do that anymore...and still have tons of paper I haven't used yet. I used to think, "I can't use this because I love it so much" and now, I think "I have to use this or some of it to justify me buying more. I love paper...all the new brands and colors. If it has polka dots or flowers or a combo of both...I'm sunk, but I still try to limit myself to just 1 sheet of each pattern.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yup I am big time hoarder but as of last night I just made a big decision...no more buying for 2 years... that's right TWO years. I was mortified when my DH printed out 6 months worth of bank statements and credit card statements and handed me a highlighter. I sat down and highlighted whatever is scrap/stamp related purchases. It came to roughly $2300 in mere SIX months. And this hobby has been always consuming me away from my family. So.. I am packing up everythign and move them over to my parents house to store them and only play when people ask/pay me to make cards or pages for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started calling myself a paper ***** because I had to have so much paper, but would never part with it.

One day, I just got so sick of buying yet more paper, and have a pile of it just sitting there - me admiring it like it was something beautiful to behold, yet untouchable!

I started small, making a card for my mother (she is deserving of such paper, I told myself!), then I could not part with the small scraps left over, so I made another card. With that I felt some freedom in actually USING my supplies....and I was creating beautiful cards.

SO......give yourself permission to use the paper - you will not be disappointed. After all - ITS ONLY PAPER! THere will always be more available to you....

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I tend to hoard all kinds of supplies, not just paper. I try to tell myself that it's only paper (or eyelets, or ribbon, or whatever) and I can always buy more. Also, I have found that some of the paper I hoarded in the past I don't even like anymore (either it is out of style, or my tastes have changed) and I just end up giving it away or selling it anyway. That has changed my perspective a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I sure can relate to many of you...Here's what I did. I realized I had hoarded paper so long, it was out of style! So now, I don't buy anything unless I know what I'm actually going to make with it. It's hard because there's so much cute stuff, but I find if I *just say no* I have a cooling down period and actually don't feel the burning desire to buy it after a couple weeks, and then there's something new to tempt me...Hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MkMiracleMakers
I am a paper horder! I don't know why I hoard...I love paper, I love to use it but I don't! So I am wondering if you were once a paper hoarder but have changed your ways, what made you change?

What do you say to yourself as your reason for using your paper? How do you justify it all?

I bought the retiring paper packs from SU last year because I LOVED them and could not stand to see them go, but have I used them? no! same thing with the holiday paper..I have 3 unopened packs! And I am considering buying more of the Loves Me paper!

Help! Help me change my ways!

Only a former paper hoarder will know how to change!

I don't like to use it all up, Because I am afraid that If I do, Then I won't be able to find more of it.

I too am very bad about hording Pretty Paper!!

I just LOVE paper... All types and patterns.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Lynne is right...how much paper does everyone have that is outdated and doesn't go with all the funky new things you've bought? The brads and eyelets and ribbon that are not as cool and trendy as the stash you bought last week or last month? You'll just feel wasteful and cluttered and overwhelmed. I used to be a really bad hoarder...couldn't use a brad or an eyelet or ribbon on a card but I've got so much stuff now I can't even think straight! Take a deep breath, get out the trimmer, some funky paper and some matching embellies and start making a pretty card for your mom or your best friend - the compliments you'll receive for making such a pretty, trendy card will make it well worth the sacrifice. (I still hoard a little but nothing like I used to!) You can't take it with you and there will ALWAYS be something new coming out to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #17  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I feel a little like Gollum, "We lovezes the precious! You, you don't deserves it but we do! We takezes it and keepzes it until it looks old and stupid!"

I need to get out the sword and cut away, and be free from the power of paper that only lives in darkness!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:47 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Oh my! I was really convicted by this article a year or so ago...
http://organizedscrapbooks.com/article71.html
It is for scrapbookers, but we can SURE apply it to anyone who makes cards too...the addiction is the same (horrors!)

BTW...there is a whole lot of great stuff on Organized Scrapbooks, including the current front page article on how to create 12x12 hanging file folders from a set of hanging legal files.
http://organizedscrapbooks.com/

enjoy!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 06:11 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I try to follow my Dad's favorite saying: "Take the best and the best will always be there". It's amazing what I use up when I decide to use the "best" one, and not save it for that "special" card I will probably never make! I'm trying not to hoard so much.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirus
I feel a little like Gollum, "We lovezes the precious! You, you don't deserves it but we do! We takezes it and keepzes it until it looks old and stupid!"

I need to get out the sword and cut away, and be free from the power of paper that only lives in darkness!
(spew!) There went the coffee on the keyboard. What a mental picture, Gollum stamping and scrapping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a paper hoarder too - but as others have rightly said - if you don't use it, it goes out of style and so is neglected and that is such a waste. It is also true that newer 'must haves' soon come along to tempt you.

Starting from Jan this year I took a deep breath and have started using my 'precious, keep for a special occasion' paper (oh yes, and the ribbons and brads etc!) and it's great. Pocket cards are great with DP - and I'm going to try the Criss Cross challenge from last week with some of my DP too.

I run a card group each month and next time we will be decorating jars and bottles (ready to be filled with Easter treats) using DPs. I think I'll be getting the group to do notebooks the month after - that will make a dent in my stash!

I went on a visit to a LSS with a few card group members and I saw a couple buying one sheet only - I asked "have I taught you nothing, you know it's one sheet to use and one sheet to keep, admire and stroke"?! The store owner (male) commented on this when he heard me - said he'd always wondered why lots of crafters bought 2 sheets of DP. If his wife had been in the shop that day, she would have understood I reckon!

I'm definitely getting better and I'm loving using my stash - good luck with yours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 07:02 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Okay, I admit it. I am a hoarder. Isn't that the most important step? Lol!!!!
But, I have to say not only do I hoard paper, but also eyelets, brads. buttons, metal embellishments..... actually anything that can be used up as far as crafting goes.
I recently put all of the above mentioned embellishment in plastic storage boxes with small divided areas. It was good to take them out of their original packaging. I felt the packaging really held me back from using them.
I guess for me I'm waiting for the perfect conditions (craft room, exactly how I want it) the perfect project (later, I won't find a better use for that paper or item) and the perfect time (totally unrealistic)!!!!!
So thanks for this thread, maybe now I'll realize there is no real perfect anything, and using this stuff is the fun part!!!!!!
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Ok, I am a paper hoarder.
I love paper in all it's plain, textured, and designer glory.
I have the problem where I will buy the paper because it's pretty and don't really think of how I could use it. Before I discovered card making and SU, I bought the DCVW Stacks and loved 1/2 and hated 1/2 but I would keep all, just in case. I was a scrapper first so I always keep loads of paper on hand. Recently, I ran out of room to keep all this paper. I made a promise to myself that I would LIMIT (not cease because then I would never keep the promise) my paper buying until my stack had diminished. I am doing a pretty good job now too. I finally used my Petal Patch paper from last years Spring Mini to make a Bitty Book and I cleaned out all the paper that I never really liked but felt guilty throwing away. I used/tossed about 5 inches of paper so far. It feels good seeing all that paper put to good use. I have a good 30 day supply left before I can binge buy and not feel guilty - can anyone say spring lines???? :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not alone!! I, too, bought and looked at and planned and plotted but then realized that all the paper just sat there...waiting...until!!! I got my Cuttlebug!! It made it fun to play with all that paper and a LOT easier for the imaginationally challenged (such as myself)!!! And now, with or without my dear bug, I'm not afraid to rip into a page or two!!! It's almost an emotional RELEASE to make a few "oops's"!! So have at it!! (Oh, and finding this site hasn't hurt either!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I am a reformed paper hoarder! I used to always stamp on white or cream only because I didn't want to use up my colors, etc. etc.

I turned the corner when my paper supplies got bigger. For example, I used to buy the assortments (bad for a hoarder! You only have a couple of pieces of each color!) but when I switched over to the full packages of each color, I used them more freely because I had more.

It is also easier to identify which colors I really like to use and when they get low, I just replace them with a new pack.

As for the retired papers, use them! They won't match anything else, you can't get ink refills, and if your marker dries up, it's all over! Just make beautiful things with them. Believe me, they will be replaced with new colors that you will love just as much.
Reply With Quote Likes