Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it rediculous to already think of unmounting? Only stamping since August.

I have only been stamping since August, I am a hobby demo for SU. I bought a lot very fast and already own over 100 wood mounted sets. I have 4 Jetmax cubes full of stamps, the cabinet style cubes...I do plan to buy more, for a total of 8 jetmax cabinet cubes for stamp storage, but I see that those will be full too eventually. So I am already thinking of unmounting.

Is that CRAZY? Bad planning? Not sure what I should do. If I unmount I guess my plan would be to rip the rubber off the foam and wood and then stick it on ez mount and use my hot knife to cut it out...Used my hot knife for the first time the other night to mount my new bitty blooms and loved using it! That's what made me think of unmounting my SU sets.

Opinions?

Thanks

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Nope not crazy at all! If you think you'll be buying a ton of sets right away... better start now while still have "a few" rather than waiting until you get over 500 like some of the ladies here have.... I don't think I have quite 100 yet, but I waited and it was a pain the rear, however now that it's all done, my new stuff goes unmounted right away and I LOVE it.

Especially now that the new SU catalog comes out tomorrow I'm sure you've got a wishlist about a mile long... better start unmounting now so when the new stuff gets here you won't be so overwhelmed. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylovestostampView Post
Nope not crazy at all! If you think you'll be buying a ton of sets right away... better start now while still have "a few" rather than waiting until you get over 500 like some of the ladies here have.... I don't think I have quite 100 yet, but I waited and it was a pain the rear, however now that it's all done, my new stuff goes unmounted right away and I LOVE it.

Especially now that the new SU catalog comes out tomorrow I'm sure you've got a wishlist about a mile long... better start unmounting now so when the new stuff gets here you won't be so overwhelmed. HTH!
I agree 100% It makes complete sense to me and love the look and feel of it..
I just need more time so I CAN unmount my older sets..
Good Luck and Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

I say it is better to start sooner rather than later - that way you aren't faced with the insurmountable task of unmounting TONS of sets like some of us who shall remain nameless must face... (rolling eyes)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I was searching thru all my stamps this am looking for a car stamp. I know i have one somewhere. I know I had a car stamp from STampin up, but with all the wood and in the boxes it was impossible to find one!!

When I have some extra time I too will be unmounting them. Its a shame to waste all that wood, but I will just goodwill it I suppose.

I need to order a car stamp from TAC. I think there is one in our catalog.

melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default unmounting

I unmounted about 400 stamps this summer while off work for some surgeries. IT was the best thing I have ever done. I have not touched my SU ones yet, but it is just a matter of time! I love the way that they store so nicely in the cd cases.
Cyndi
Attached Thumbnails
Is it rediculous to already think of unmounting?  Only stamping since August.-new-way-store-large-ums-7-08.jpg   Is it rediculous to already think of unmounting?  Only stamping since August.-unmounted-storage-7-08.jpg   Is it rediculous to already think of unmounting?  Only stamping since August.-su-storage-last-wood-mounted-stamps-7-08.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I have just began unmounting myself. I just started to really get into stamping as I have been a scrapper for almost 6 years. Anyway, I have a small craft space and I love the unmounted stamps. I had a set of alphabet stamps from scrapping that took up a whole drawer in my storage stacker and when I unmounted them they took up less than 2 cd cases. I definitely say go unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hundreds and hundreds of wood-mounted stamps. The thought of unmounting them is daunting, but I do think I'll be going that route. While I love looking at all the stamps all lined up and in their drawers, I'll have a ton of space once I get them off the wood.

I know I could put them in CD cases, but I'm also considering those panels with the holes for putting into a 3-ring binder. Someone mentioned in another thread that the panels fit into page protectors, which sounds like such a good system. Either way, I need to get the EZ mount, right, and a good pair of scissors?

There's a sale at Sunday International on the EZ mount and the storage panels. I guess I'm being sent a message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I unmounted all of my Stampin Up stamps except the backgrounds. I really like using them with acrylic blocks and the space savings is amazing. The one thing that I suggest though is to make an index of your stamps so that you can easily flip through a binder to find the stamp you need. You can see pictures of how I index and store in my gallery here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I have all mine unmounted 400+ sets i store them in cd cases so they cans stay together in sets. I also have 45 binders which are full of acrylic panels you get from stamp and go or Sundays and i love them. I have the binders labeled by company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

It took me a LONG time to finally decide to unmount. I have about 200 sets. It took me a couple months to pull off all the rubber, mount on EZ Mount (with a hot knife) and organize in CD and DVD cases. I mostly mounted 5 or so sets at a time, on weekends and only for an hour or so after work. I've now done all my sets except my alphas. It took a lot of time and it was really hard for me to have my craft room in such chaos.

But, now I love it! I have all my sets organized by category and it REALLY helps me find things and even use sets that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise!

It is totally not too soon to be thinking about it!! The sooner, the better, I think.

Oh, and by-the-way, the BEST acrylic blocks that I have used are these: http://smartrubber.com/smartsite_006.htm

If you go unmounted, you have to at least give these a try!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'LL NEVER UNMOUNT!!! LOL I shudder at the thought! I am going to make a binder index book someday though. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably a smaller task than if you wait until you have 5K in images. I'm definitely a mounted type stamper and will add an extra wing onto the house if necessary. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

No, it is definitely not ridiculous because I see much better through my acrylic block and it helps me to position my stamp better. It saves me more space as well. I still LOVE wood mounts (I only keep Whipper Snappers mounted), but with the amount of SU! sets I have and the limited space, it just makes more sense to UM them. Just do what's right for you and your space and comfort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have unmounted some of my stamps, and I plan not to unmount all of them.

I've learned a few things about unmounting and what works for me:

1. I do plan to sell my stamps later. I just don't keep all of my stamps indefinitely. I like new stuff too much! So, if it's a trendy stamp, I don't unmount it.

2. I actually prefer to keep my large alpha stamps on wood blocks. I use my SAMJ with the large alphas.

3. I did unmount my big SU background stamps. I love them unmounted. Saves a ton of space!

4. I mostly unmounted the stamps that I use for scrapbooking. I have them in a box that I can take to a crop or a retreat.

5. I don't like that it's harder to actually see the image when it's unmounted. At least in the SU clear boxes, it's easy to see each stamp. Better for the creative process for me at least.

I would recommend that you unmount a few at a time and get a feel for what works best for you in terms of stamping, storage and the creative process.

Have fun with it and don't stress too much about it!
Reply With Quote Likes