Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE-inking your ink pads

Okay, I have had my ink pads for a few years. The Pretty in Pink just doesn't hold the ink very well - my stampin' spot has more ink than the regular size one. Anyway, so I used my re-inker and dotted ink all over the pad. Hours later, the pad still looks like this (see pic). Is this normal?
The ink is coming out better, but only where I put the drops.
I have only re-inked my Stazon pad (black) before and never had a problem. I'm hoping this isn't usual.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
RE-inking your ink pads-spotinkpad.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I has one of mine do that but I when I noticed it, I swirled the ink around with the tip so it wasn't so spotty. It seemed to work better. Sorry that I'm not much of a help, but I really haven't had to reink mine too much. Did you try using your finger or bone folder to work it in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I know it isn't funny for you to be dealing with, but it looks like it has the chicken pox.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #4  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi! I have never had pads do that-but I reink MUCH more frequently than once every few years. If it has been a few years then most likely your pad is really dry-since it is not saturated then it is just staying put where you put it.

Do you have a brayer? I would roll the brayer back and forth on the pad to force it into the dry areas and see if that works. If you do not have a brayer then take a more solid image stamps and rub it around the top of the pad to try and move the ink drops around.

My guess is that your pad is just really dry-try my suggestions (the brayer would be the best bet I think) and since it is doing better I might actually add some more re-inker to the areas that are dry.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #5  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just pulled out my PIP pad and reinker and when I reinked it it was NO WHERE as dark as the spots on yours.

Can you doubke check the reinker color?:confused:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I haven't reinked any full sized pads yet. I read here that some ppl use an old credit card to spread the ink around the padsto kinda work the ink in. I think they use the freebies in junk mail. I have had good success w/ my cat eyes just working the ink in w/ the tip of the reinker. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Could it be that it has plenty of pigment but has just lost moisture? Maybe the Ranger ink pad "refresher" might help -- sorry I can't remember the exact name. Perhaps someone who has used it will have more info....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStormView Post
I haven't reinked any full sized pads yet. I read here that some ppl use an old credit card to spread the ink around the padsto kinda work the ink in. I think they use the freebies in junk mail. I have had good success w/ my cat eyes just working the ink in w/ the tip of the reinker. Good luck!
That trick is usually used on the Craft ink pads since they're squishier and the ink is WAY thicker - I've never needed to "work in" classic re-inker.

I too would #1 - think that the pad miht have been REALLY dry and needs more ink and #2 - check to make sure it's the right color re-inker b/c that looks SO dark!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasaVAView Post
Okay, I have had my ink pads for a few years. The Pretty in Pink just doesn't hold the ink very well - my stampin' spot has more ink than the regular size one. Anyway, so I used my re-inker and dotted ink all over the pad. Hours later, the pad still looks like this (see pic). Is this normal?
The ink is coming out better, but only where I put the drops.
I have only re-inked my Stazon pad (black) before and never had a problem. I'm hoping this isn't usual.

thanks!
There's definitely something wrong. I've reinked all my pads at least two or three times, if not more, depending on how often I pull out that particular color. Even when a lighter-colored pad was practically bone dry it never looked like that after reinking. How much of the refill did you use? I'm with the folks who are wondering whether you mistakenly used a different color (I've almost done that myself once or twice!) or perhaps didn't use enough ink on a pad that was drier than you thought.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I have no tips for you but am subscribing to this post because reinking pads scares me!

I'm sure you will get an answer these women are wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 04:21 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up Thanks!

Well, my re-inker is old, too. A few months after I first bought the stamp pad - right when SU changed the pad holder style - I noticed that the PIP pad looked almost white at the bottom and really dried out. Rather than purchase a new stamp pad (to see if I had just received a "lemon"), my SU (at the time) gave me the re-inker bottle for PIP. Now, the reinker is the OLD style too (can tell by the label decoration). I did put a few drops of water onto the pad to see if it was dried out - YEP - those water drops absorbed in under a second. The ink is spreading around now. I have NOT had this problem with any of my other stamp pads (all bought at the same time). And I don't use this one very often (pretty rare, actually).
I always store my ink pads as they should - upside down - and they are in my basement craft room with NO sunlight.
Anyway, THANK YOU, for all the suggestions and even laughs. I was getting frustrated and when the ink dots weren't disolving, UUUGGGHHHH. I was still trying to use it that way - HA - should have seen my stamp - some spaces were so light you could barely see, while others were ooosing ink....
thanks!
~j
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasaVAView Post
Well, my re-inker is old, too. A few months after I first bought the stamp pad - right when SU changed the pad holder style - I noticed that the PIP pad looked almost white at the bottom and really dried out. Rather than purchase a new stamp pad (to see if I had just received a "lemon"), my SU (at the time) gave me the re-inker bottle for PIP. Now, the reinker is the OLD style too (can tell by the label decoration). I did put a few drops of water onto the pad to see if it was dried out - YEP - those water drops absorbed in under a second. The ink is spreading around now. I have NOT had this problem with any of my other stamp pads (all bought at the same time). And I don't use this one very often (pretty rare, actually).
I always store my ink pads as they should - upside down - and they are in my basement craft room with NO sunlight.
Anyway, THANK YOU, for all the suggestions and even laughs. I was getting frustrated and when the ink dots weren't disolving, UUUGGGHHHH. I was still trying to use it that way - HA - should have seen my stamp - some spaces were so light you could barely see, while others were ooosing ink....
thanks!
~j
You have the new style of ink pad. You do not want to store it upside down. When you close the ink pad the ink is already upside down so the pad itself should be stored right side up.

I know that some demos reccomend that when you re-ink an ink pad you use at least half a bottle of ink. If the pad is extremely dry, you may need to use more than that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_chiquieView Post
You have the new style of ink pad. You do not want to store it upside down. When you close the ink pad the ink is already upside down so the pad itself should be stored right side up.

I know that some demos reccomend that when you re-ink an ink pad you use at least half a bottle of ink. If the pad is extremely dry, you may need to use more than that.
Really? I normally use about 1/4 bottle and that's plenty to get it nice and juicy again. The last time I used half a bottle of reinker on a pad, it was the first time I'd ever reinked and I'd had the ink pad about two years. Yeah, I didn't stamp much before I became a demo, LOL! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Next time, instead of dotting the ink, try going back and forth, left to right over the whole pad. Then go over it top to bottom. Forming a checkered grid. You will want to gently squeeze the bottle the whole time you are doing this. The grid method helps me keep ink in all the areas and not get any spots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
Next time, instead of dotting the ink, try going back and forth, left to right over the whole pad. Then go over it top to bottom. Forming a checkered grid. You will want to gently squeeze the bottle the whole time you are doing this. The grid method helps me keep ink in all the areas and not get any spots.
I agree but would re apply now with the back and forth motion,use your brayer and rub,rub,rub,see what happens,I still have most of my old ones and do not have a problem like that. My pads are starting to lift off,think I over juice,...oh well,story of my life. GOOD LUCK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Default tHIS IS WHAY i WOULD DO

I have never had to re-inked mypads, well, not just yet, they are to new for that... I have seen people adding ink in a cequered pattern and at the end helping the ink to be absorbed by gently using an old plastic card up and down and left to right to make the absortion more even.

Don't forget to make sure the ink color is the same form the ink pad.!

Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I would just buy a new inkpad. It seems like yours has had it.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Default One other thought . . .

Be sure you are using a Classic Re-Inker on a Classic pad, or a Craft Re-Inker on a Craft pad. They don't mix and match well. I write from experience. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

How I reink my pads is start at one end with the tip of my reinker touching the pad, squeezing the bottle with constant pressure and in lines go back and forth on the entire pad, never lifting the bottle from the pad. Then do the samething starting on the side of the pad. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

When I reink I do a zig-zag pattern, corner to corner both ways, then maybe top to bottom. I don't squeeze hard, so I only put down a little at a time. If it is Craft ink, you may need to help it along. I called SU once when the vanilla craft pad I ordered was not producing much color, and they told me to use the back of a spoon to mix it up (kind of like spreading peanut butter). It actually worked pretty well.
Reply With Quote Likes